Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MK1's story reminds me a lot of the DC comic Final Crisis. It spends all this time telling a story about Darkseid conquering Earth only to reveal that this is all a front for some vampire trying to feast on the multiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Megan Fox is so fuckin bad lmao like

She's in the game ostensibly because she's a Mortal Kombat fan
but nobody running lines with her told her she was in a Mortal Kombat game

She's so wildly out of place

How are you worse than Rhonda fuckin Rousey my dude

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ImpAtom posted:

It was 100% to appeal to the terrible part of the fandom, it's like the most weirdly mean-spirited thing to happen in the game. It's just that since it is MK they can have their cake and eat it too by going 'we know these guys suck but if you don't think they suck here they are playable for money!" I mean hell this entire game is "Hey, we know (x) sucks, but we're going to use them anyway and maybe you'll like them this time!"

It owned when those lame poses got merked

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Kombat Kids drool

Mavado and Kobra rule.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Urethane posted:

This is great thank you! Is the part about mids are king related to the neutral crouch vs crouch block differences for throw teching as mentioned?

Yes, having a strong advancing mid starter is great because it has to be blocked, and because of the way this game works players are going to be neutral ducking a lot to poke you out of highs and projectiles. Even better when the string includes a low or overhead because now it also has to be blocked in a specific direction, unless there is a reversal gap.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Sockser posted:

She's in the game because she's hot and nerds love her. She's not a successful actor, she's a model (which is fine of course, but such a different skillset). She's been in a couple of big movies that haven't at all required any actual acting ability. So many other much more capable women they could have picked. No one is reviewing Megan Fox movies going "Wow, she really brought depth and nuance to that role, she's an incredible actor". Blizzard picked her too for D4 so I guess her agent is just at the bottom of the barrel now.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

putin is a oval office posted:

She's in the game because she's hot and nerds love her. She's not a successful actor, she's a model (which is fine of course, but such a different skillset). She's been in a couple of big movies that haven't at all required any actual acting ability. So many other much more capable women they could have picked. No one is reviewing Megan Fox movies going "Wow, she really brought depth and nuance to that role, she's an incredible actor". Blizzard picked her too for D4 so I guess her agent is just at the bottom of the barrel now.

Hey you dumb putz, try watchin Jennifer's Body and get back to us...

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

man nurse posted:

So are we thinking that for the DLC, Ermac will be (story spoilers) Jerrod or his usual WE ARE MANY schtick

All of the above. They've done that with other kharacter skins.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Hogama posted:

Well, if the Switch datamining is anything to go by, Cassie and Kung Jin are also seemingly future DLC inclusions, so it'd be even weirder if the end point of all this was solely to dump on Jacqui. Plus, there's apparently that unused variant of the scene where the kids do well in the fight? idk

What if jacqui is cyrax

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Jennifers body is good, megan fox is good in it, op.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sockser posted:

It's extra bad because everyone else is so drat good. The guy doing Shang Tsung deserves a best performance reward.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I know Shang tsung was first and foremost a fantastic Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa impression but i hear alot of Liquid snake in there as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jennifer's Body is also 15 years old, a lot can change in that amount of time. For example, 15 years ago, Midway was literally falling apart and Bioware still made good games.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
MK1 makes the bold move of showing what turned the white man white

he got spooked by a ghoooost

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 24, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

People have already said this, but Megan Fox is perfectly capable of being a good actress, Jennifer's Body, New Girl etc.

Which honestly makes this whole thing all the more perplexing to me. My wife is a huge Megan Fox fan, and she was the first one to be like "drat Megan sounds terrible in this" and laugh hysterically at it. My wife's impression is better than her delivery lol.

She was a sound editor/ technician for years, so she has a theory that they only had Megan Fox for enough time for one take, or someone lost some roll somewhere or something, and forgot to put the filter over it like they did for the Jen's Body line, which by far sounds the best. Or she said Megan just doesn't know how to voice act :shrug:

She also cited that post production is a hell world of a business, and this with the other things in entertainment industry can have a massive effect on sound design in particular. She thinks they had like an intern or something do it with very limited time lol.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 24, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VA is also simply a different skillset from film and the talent is not 100% transferable — see Academy Award winner JK Simmons somehow being the weakest link in Baldur’s Gate 3. My guess is that they woke Megan up at 3am and went with the very first take over the phone.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

VA is also simply a different skillset from film and the talent is not 100% transferable — see Academy Award winner JK Simmons somehow being the weakest link in Baldur’s Gate 3. My guess is that they woke Megan up at 3am and went with the very first take over the phone.

But JK Simmons is a great voice actor for other games.

Direction, I think, plays a huge role. It's likely they got Fox last minute and didn't have enough time to make some good takes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A lot of elements around this game feel undercooked and I don't doubt the voice recording was similarly strained, and that professional VA are just more capable of competent performances under duress.

Megan Fox being so bad is probably more beneficial for the character than if she'd even just been okay, because now Nitara has one memorable feature instead of none

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I pick up MK every time because I enjoy the shlock story but I still can't get over just how bad dial-a-combo feels.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Natural 20 posted:

I pick up MK every time because I enjoy the shlock story but I still can't get over just how bad dial-a-combo feels.

Been a thing for nearly 3 decades now, probably not gonna change.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

IMO the main reason people think MK feels stiff or bad is because of sloppy inputs or incorrect timing. The game will try to do exactly what you tell it to. In SF if you gently caress up an input you can go back and redo the input as long as the attack hasn't come out yet. You can't do that here. You have to commit and it needs to be precise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the biggest mistake beginners make is actually going too fast. If you're not nailing a combo, try to slow it down in your mind and feel the exact sequence of buttons in the correct order. Being precise is a lot more important than getting it out as fast as possible, and there are points in an animation where you'll actually mess up the combo if you start too early. One other thing is that the game is way more tolerant of overclicking your buttons rather than messing up a directional input. If you want a BF2 special to come out, then MK is okay with you pressing Y more than once. But if you accidentally fat finger a directional button or anything else in between that B and F, then you're way more likely to drop it. Playing with the input history in practice mode will usually let you see where you're going awry. In most cases when I'm dropping stuff it's actually because I'm pressing buttons in the wrong order despite it being correct in my mind.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah but it's like, I'm just not going to unwire everything that works in every other fighting game to make this one feel okay.

My *actual* problem is that the stupid command list gives me button inputs for everything instead of indicators for Forward Punch/Back Punch etc. which makes it essentially completely illegible since I'm playing on my hitbox and RB doesn't actually mean anything.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Big thank you to whoever decided the achievements for this game should be brain dead easy but then also throw in one that’s for mastering 5 kameos.

That and a titan battle is all that’s standing between me and 100%. The kameos level up unbelievably loving slow. Like I might actually not do it, it’s so bad.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I might have to start using Sub-Zero kameo with Reptile now cause the oki is ridiculous. Just do F23 4 FK DU4 DF3 F32. The combo only does 277 damage but you end it invisible at midscreen and have enough time to fully charge his B2 overhead before the opponent can wake up.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah but it's like, I'm just not going to unwire everything that works in every other fighting game to make this one feel okay.

My *actual* problem is that the stupid command list gives me button inputs for everything instead of indicators for Forward Punch/Back Punch etc. which makes it essentially completely illegible since I'm playing on my hitbox and RB doesn't actually mean anything.
I would simply not play games I don't enjoy playing

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Panderfringe posted:

I would simply not play games I don't enjoy playing

Yes but I'm a masochist and I enjoy taking about it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Regrettable posted:

I might have to start using Sub-Zero kameo with Reptile now cause the oki is ridiculous. Just do F23 4 FK DU4 DF3 F32. The combo only does 277 damage but you end it invisible at midscreen and have enough time to fully charge his B2 overhead before the opponent can wake up.

Another good choice might be Stryker, my buddy was messing around with him and frame trapping me to hell and back. He'd intentionally get me to block one of reptile's dash attacks, and when I went to punish him some grenades would fly in from off screen, tag me, and I'd get blown up for a full combo. The combo also used grenades as an air combo extension and did a very good chunk of damage, close to 400 I think

This worked on me approximately 100 times

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Just finished up story mode. I found it entertaining enough and didn't really think any chapter outstayed its' welcome. It's not top tier storytelling but you don't come to MK for that. Agree with whoever upthread was praising Shang Tsung's VA I loved every second he was on screen.

I wonder how much the dialogue changes for the last chapter because having that many permutations of who can go up the pyramidwould be a serious amount of recording work. FWIW I picked my boy Baraka but now I kinda wanna scour YouTube to watch othera for the minute differences.

As for the mid-credits stinger I'm fine with this. Whereas Titan Shang Tsung would want to just merge everything and be the master of all timelines, Titan Havik would threaten the order of Liu Kang's new era by trying to impose endless chaos, and thanks to Liu Kang revealing to a bunch of other titans how many timelines exist he has done his job of carrying the idiot ball. Bravo!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think the biggest mistake beginners make is actually going too fast. If you're not nailing a combo, try to slow it down in your mind and feel the exact sequence of buttons in the correct order. Being precise is a lot more important than getting it out as fast as possible, and there are points in an animation where you'll actually mess up the combo if you start too early. One other thing is that the game is way more tolerant of overclicking your buttons rather than messing up a directional input. If you want a BF2 special to come out, then MK is okay with you pressing Y more than once. But if you accidentally fat finger a directional button or anything else in between that B and F, then you're way more likely to drop it. Playing with the input history in practice mode will usually let you see where you're going awry. In most cases when I'm dropping stuff it's actually because I'm pressing buttons in the wrong order despite it being correct in my mind.

That said, there are some strings that seem to need insanely quick inputs for no apparent reason. I'm currently messing around with Kitana, and her Edenian Dance thing (IIRC it was BK 6FK FK) basically needs you to hit the second input instantly after the first, even though the actual animation takes much longer. The timing's so tight that for a while I thought the notation was simply wrong because literally every other string and special I tried until then had way more relaxed timing. I don't even know why, since IIRC there's no real mixup after the BK.

Anyway, I'm currently mostly loving around with different characters in the invasion to get a feel for them and unlock some stuff. So far Li Mei clicked the best, she's just nice and straightforward. I kinda want to learn Tanya because I just like her big stick, but the whole thing with the buff and parry seems pretty intimidating and specific.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

Another good choice might be Stryker, my buddy was messing around with him and frame trapping me to hell and back. He'd intentionally get me to block one of reptile's dash attacks, and when I went to punish him some grenades would fly in from off screen, tag me, and I'd get blown up for a full combo. The combo also used grenades as an air combo extension and did a very good chunk of damage, close to 400 I think

This worked on me approximately 100 times

I might have to check that out. You can also do an extended version of that combo if you do B31 DF3 F23 4 FK DU4 DF3EX F32 or F21 DF3 F23 4 FK DU4 DF3EX F32 for 331 damage but it costs meter and the timing is super tight. The shorter version is much easier to pull off consistently.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So the premium currency store hasn’t updated at all since launch, it’s not just me?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

So the premium currency store hasn’t updated at all since launch, it’s not just me?

Not just you. Also some of the daily and weekly quests are bugged. Weekly uppercuts and weekly ground attacks are bugged for everyone AFAIK. They occasionally reset before being completed. I also still can't buy the Flame Up seasonal skin for Kung Lao because it throws up an error every time I try.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have to wonder how much Covid era cut into this game’s development. Gameplay and story mode are top shelf but the surrounding elements feel very bare bones coming off of 11.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
On PC, every time you start the game it makes you acknowledge an EULA...that it fails to load the text of:v:

The game was rushed to release hard

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Figured I may as well post video of these cause it might be a little easier for people.

Easy: F23 4 FK DU4 DF3 F32
https://i.imgur.com/K0ZHNpC.mp4

Hard: B31 DF3 F23 4 FK DU4 DF3EX F32
https://i.imgur.com/TegiSLu.mp4

Mr. Neutron posted:

On PC, every time you start the game it makes you acknowledge an EULA...that it fails to load the text of:v:

I play on Steam and haven't had to deal with this. The game definitely has some issues from being rushed but at least so far they seem to be mostly minor things.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Whats the number order for face buttons, for ref i use ps5. Just wanna understand it when the pros post combos

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Whats the number order for face buttons, for ref i use ps5. Just wanna understand it when the pros post combos

Square = 1
Triangle = 2
X = 3
Circle = 4

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Mr. Neutron posted:

lol when I was in Chapter 11 of the story mode instead of displaying the subtitles it was just a code string over when a character was talking. Oops!

Also the game menu is convinced that I still have unlocked fighter and kameo customisation options to look at when nope I have checked them for every character even after finishing story and unlocking the other dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DeadButDelicious posted:

lol when I was in Chapter 11 of the story mode instead of displaying the subtitles it was just a code string over when a character was talking. Oops!

Also the game menu is convinced that I still have unlocked fighter and kameo customisation options to look at when nope I have checked them for every character even after finishing story and unlocking the other dude.

Yeah the little dots for “hey there’s new stuff” are bugged. It’s also impossible to get them to go away for the Sonya and Sub Zero kameos.

I also got that subtitle in story that was just “MK12_4748_738” or whatever lol