Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Murdoch did bring a pair of tits to enjoy at your breakfast table every morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Richard Littlejohn and..?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
On the subject of "the spectre of the wallet inspector":

https://theoutline.com/post/8736/liberal-media-wallet-inspector

Couple of quotes.

quote:

In recent years, the phrase “wallet inspector” has proved a useful one. On social media, the spectre of the wallet inspector is summoned whenever someone falls for an obvious grift:

Nowadays, by noticing that Snake is not in fact the wallet inspector, Homer would quickly be smeared on social media as a hard-left conspiracy theorist, and BuzzFeed would be readying an article insisting — against Homer’s divisive comments — that they’d contacted the wallet inspector, and the nerds really are all going to get their wallets back, just as soon as Snake has had time to check their contacts over and ensure there are no irregularities

On a certain level, you really are an idiot if you’re given to pointing out that “that’s not the wallet inspector.” To point out that this is not the wallet inspector is to show that you cannot be trusted — to indicate that, at the very least, you aspire to an autonomy the world is careful to deny the vast majority of the people who are given any sort of responsibility for running it. But if you dare to hand your wallet over, blankly and without question, the world may well be happy to reward your acquiescence in it tenfold.

Good article.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I may have committed murder, but you cannot deny that by doing it five hundred times I demonstrated incredible ambition?

whatever your opinion of Adolph Hitler or his personal politics,

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
It was deeply unwise to allow Lord Gortash to put psychic worms in people's brains. But the scene kid Josh Widdicombe lookalike was an innovator, however warped his ethics were

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just had to get a locksmith out because i lost my key on a night out and the landlord’s emergency number just goes to a plumbing company. I changed the lock too, came to about £150 all in all. The LL is uncontactable due to the Jewish High Holidays until Tuesday and I’m going away for a week on Monday so didn’t have much choice but to replace the lock - what are my chances of them agreeing to reimburse?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't advise but now I have the sudden notion that the either the house should become yours from sunset on friday to sunset on saturday, or being a landlord is not a real job.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jakabite posted:

Just had to get a locksmith out because i lost my key on a night out and the landlord’s emergency number just goes to a plumbing company. I changed the lock too, came to about £150 all in all. The LL is uncontactable due to the Jewish High Holidays until Tuesday and I’m going away for a week on Monday so didn’t have much choice but to replace the lock - what are my chances of them agreeing to reimburse?

they will probably tell you to do one if it was your fault or not

you got contents insurance?

mine has a separate little policy attached for poo poo like this

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You could probably have smashed and replaced a window for less.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Always have a spare key buried somewhere

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Just have a smart front door you can open with your phone, or face recognition.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just have a smart front door you can open with your phone, or face recognition.

Yeah and you should link it to a chip in Elon's skull.

Jakabite posted:

You depend on the generosity of your landlord in this situation. Keep the receipts in case but, look deep into your heart, do you think the landlord will be punished for telling you to gently caress off?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DesperateDan posted:

they will probably tell you to do one if it was your fault or not

you got contents insurance?

mine has a separate little policy attached for poo poo like this

the last time I tried to claim on my contents insurance there was a £200 excess and it would have meant losing my no-claims so it would have cost me more money to claim than not to

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You could probably have smashed and replaced a window for less.

my da did this on his car once, broke a tiny little window pane on a rear door thinking it was gonna be cheaper than the main panes or a locksmith

turns out it was the most expensive bit of glass to source on the whole car because it was rarely broken

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Julio Cruz posted:

the last time I tried to claim on my contents insurance there was a £200 excess and it would have meant losing my no-claims so it would have cost me more money to claim than not to

I think with mine it's technically a separate policy

Like with the fridge/freezer contents things

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

my da did this on his car once, broke a tiny little window pane on a rear door thinking it was gonna be cheaper than the main panes or a locksmith

turns out it was the most expensive bit of glass to source on the whole car because it was rarely broken

Yeah I guess the windscreen would be the best one to break as it would likely be a separate excess on insurance and they break all the time so readily available.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Always have a spare key buried somewhere

It does feel a bit poo poo to give this advice after the fact but...yeah, seriously. Even if you don't trust anyone within a couple of miles of your house, just bury a key somewhere in a local park or something

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jimmy Savile's owner should be severely reprimanded for his behaviour

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah and you should link it to a chip in Elon's skull.

I'm not normally a fan of Tesla hardware, but opening doors with Elon's skull has a certain appeal.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If Jimmy Saville was only neutered

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

smellmycheese posted:

Reichstag Rishi the Hund Hater

"First they came for the XL Bullies, and I did not speak out. Because it was ripping my throat out"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Soylent Yellow posted:

"First they came for the XL Bullies, and I did not speak out. Because it was ripping my throat out"

Then they came for the Chihuahuas and I did not speak out because my socks stopped them from wounding me

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

It'll be a miracle if they don't fine you for losing the key, replacing the lock without permission, and admin fees for having to give the letting agent a new key. Probably throw in damage to the doorframe onto your security deposit as well.

E: Because they're a landlord oval office, not because they're Jewish obviously.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You could argue that the lock got stuck so you had to replace it, unless you said otherwise already anyways.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's no way on hell they'll pay you back (unless they're a very rare landlord) but they can't do you for anything else. They're was an immediate need to access the property and their line of emergency communication failed so it needed to be done. As long as you inform them and provide replacement keys, and maybe include the receipt from a competent fitter then there should be no extra risk of fines or whatever.

Lol. Or maybe they go mental I dunno

Like its a security risk to the property to have the key lost and potentially in the hands of a bad actor who might enter the property and damage the landlord's property.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
jeezaloo those might be some of the world's dumbest people

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey don't lump the rest of us in with 99

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just say the key broke or something, don't admit that you lost it because you were twelve beers deep

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Charoclere posted:

Even if it does finally manage to chug into Euston, HS2 is pointless because it doesn't connect to HS1. The only reason HS2 is HS to begin with is so that it could be part of the big continental network, so European businessmen and investors having their "welcome to Britain!" moment being a half-mile trudge down the pavement from St. Pancras means that HS2 failed even before it left the station.

And why did we bother anyway? Outside the statistical anomalies of microstates like the Vatican, the UK is the third-most densely populated country in Europe, behind only Belgium and the Netherlands - England on its own is the second-most densely populated country in Europe. High-speed rail was always ludicrously overengineered for a small and congested country like ours. We could have delivered twice as much capacity for half the cost, and much less environmental damage demanded by the straight high-speed lines carving through the countryside, by laying standard track for normal trains. HS2 was always a political vanity project for both the Labour government that planned it and the Tory government that approved it, and it should never have been commissioned in the first place.

The UK was never a Schengen state so plugging HS2 into HS1 and the continental network would have meant adding border controls at every station in the UK you brought an international service to. It's not unusual either for a capital city to have several stations linked by metro. Granted, Old Oak Common is an embarrassing terminus for a new line, but St Pancras to Euston is no worse than than Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.

There's not really any way to deliver any additional capacity in the North/South UK lines, for half, twice or four times the cost of HS2, without building another line. We've squeezed every last bit of juice out of the EC and WCML and what's left are the kind of things that are so deeply baked into our landscape that it is genuinely easier to build a new line than fix. If you're going to lay a new line, it might as well be to a nice straight alignment so you can lay less track, run fast enough to get good capacity and compete with internal flights for journey time.

HS2 was absolutely pitched as a vanity project so that it would attract the kind of political excitement that gets funding bills passed, in a way that say ETCS level 2 doesn't for some reason. It's now paying the price for all that hype, but if you look at the back of the tin instead of the front HS2 just contains a moderately fast new railway which diverts intercity traffic off the existing network so there's more room for regional services and freight.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I suspected as much. loving landlords. They’re going to screw me out of the deposit for putting up my own shelves anyway so I might just keep my final month of rent and disappear when I move, which is soon. I’ll certainly not be paying any fines.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let us know how that goes

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I suspected as much. loving landlords. They’re going to screw me out of the deposit for putting up my own shelves anyway so I might just keep my final month of rent and disappear when I move, which is soon. I’ll certainly not be paying any fines.

That's a really really bad idea.

As long as you don't need the deposit back quickly there are proper ways to dispute deposits these days. I've fought landlord many times and either got everything back or at least lessened the amount they managed to claim.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/west-london-shipping-container-towers-27746502

Meath Court, Acton/Ealing

Shipping Container Towers

Photo from article:

quote:

Meath Court in Hope Gardens is unlike any other place in London. The multicoloured shipping containers are stacked like Lego blocks four rows high and while children live there, it is anything but child friendly. The Dickensian conditions residents are forced to suffer would be enough on its own to shock anyone who took the time to visit the cramped corner of Acton but this would likely turn to horror if you speak to even one person living there.

Drugs, theft, sexual harassment, assault, serious injury, lack of security and violence are sadly not rare at Meath Court, one of Ealing Council's once-lauded experimental housing constructions. Julian Bell, leader of Ealing Council at the time when the estate first opened in 2017 said that it was a “superb response” to a growing housing crisis.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I paid a fortune to get into a venue like that in york to watch footie during the world cup and eat artisanal bbq and drink prosecco

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yet again, something dreamed up in sci-fi (ready player one) as a sign of how hosed the world is embraced as a good thing by dickheads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In Christchurch they built housing out of shipping containers because the place was levelled by an earthquake, in the UK they do it... for fun?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

oh no, I'm filled with rage again

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
At long last, we've built the iconic shipping container tower from the classic scifi story "Don't Build Goddamn Shipping Container Houses for Fucks Sake"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

That's a really really bad idea.

As long as you don't need the deposit back quickly there are proper ways to dispute deposits these days. I've fought landlord many times and either got everything back or at least lessened the amount they managed to claim.

:yeah:

The last place I rented the landlord was an utter landlord about everything, to the point that the letting agency told him to gently caress off forever after giving back our deposit in full because he was trying to dispute the stupidest poo poo, including blaming us for a bin full of rubble in the back garden he’d left there at some point which was in all the pictures of the viewing the agency took when we loving moved in lol.