Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Guess it's better than Nexus where every beast would evolve / mutate into a Super Beast which is the same suit with a few more geegaws glued on, or a different headset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Wow, King Ohger is firing on all cylinders, god drat

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Kingohger and Blazar are both too good right now goddamn.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meanwhile Gotchard is still kind of mediocre to me. Ah well, at least the current Sentai, Ultra, and Precure seasons are decent

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i dropped off around ep12 of Kingohger and just never got back on

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Meanwhile Gotchard is still kind of mediocre to me. Ah well, at least the current Sentai, Ultra, and Precure seasons are decent

Last week's Gotchard was a big step in the right direction I felt, with an actual emotional core and growth for Hotaro so it felt like he earned his new form. Not this one, though. Gotchard I feel suffers a lot from cramming three different new forms every episode, so maybe one feels good and the rest just take time from the episode and are forced (that they normally are pretty poor CGI doesn't help either). The Rinne stuff this week was good at least.

Meanwhile Kingohger is amazing in how grounded and serious it can get, especially coming after the zaniness of Zenkaiger and Donbrothers; while Ultraman Blazar takes the concept of getting an alien hijacking your body in a more mysterious and unique path than any previous show. I'm enjoying this season's toku, even Gotchard is fine but it's undeniably the weakest of the three and a step down from Geats.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Gotchard's problem is that it's really put its toy foot first. It's too Hotaro-focused to really get into what alchemy does and means in the setting, despite him being the viewpoint protagonist being introduced into the world... and yet, Hotaro himself only engages with Chemies. Like, the thing that makes him special is that he's nice to Chemies. He's not nice in general. It's not that he's naturally compassionate or curious, or that he has a background that makes him view things a certain way. He has one friend outside of alchemy school and they've barely talked since the first episode. He just likes Chemies, and everyone else is just here to be the strawman alchemist society that doesn't understand Chemies, but not for any reason that says anything interesting about them or Chemies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Last week's Gotchard was a big step in the right direction I felt, with an actual emotional core and growth for Hotaro so it felt like he earned his new form. Not this one, though. Gotchard I feel suffers a lot from cramming three different new forms every episode, so maybe one feels good and the rest just take time from the episode and are forced (that they normally are pretty poor CGI doesn't help either). The Rinne stuff this week was good at least.

Meanwhile Kingohger is amazing in how grounded and serious it can get, especially coming after the zaniness of Zenkaiger and Donbrothers; while Ultraman Blazar takes the concept of getting an alien hijacking your body in a more mysterious and unique path than any previous show. I'm enjoying this season's toku, even Gotchard is fine but it's undeniably the weakest of the three and a step down from Geats.

Yeah, I don't completely hate Gotchard and feel like it still has potential but it hasn't completely sold me yet either (Hotaro basically seems like Eiji from OOO only far less interesting). I agree last week's episode was decent though

One thing that's interesting about Blazar is that it's the first Ultra show where even the host doesn't fully know what's going on and as we've seen, sometimes their ideals can clash with the Ultra a bit (even the transformation device is summoned on Blazar's command rather than Gento's). The inevitable identity reveal is gonna be a unique one at least

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Ganba Legends update brings, who else, Gotchard into the mix. Interestingly, all his finishers are slightly changed, with the Wild Modes removed - I imagine simply because that'd mean making models for them. It also shows AntWrestler before its actual debut next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPFz3Mnq2MM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT9r_jZSNe0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bfigdM2V4

It also added other Riders but most of them are just true to the series, I'm posting Tycoon Bujin Sword specifically because I'm surprised they kept the sword reflection, I guess it's just iconic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FebIeiJ3tT0

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, the new Abaranger movie has finally been subbed now

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blazar is so loving hyped over his new toy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems it’s finally time for the King-Onger/Kyoryuger crossover (and based on the preview we’re getting way more than just Daigo)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1708890332903993669?s=20

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Latest Blazar, ep 13 SkARD Nocturne is a clip show, but does have the cast participating

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Binary Badger posted:

Latest Blazar, ep 13 SkARD Nocturne is a clip show, but does have the cast participating

Is it worth a watch? I'm not exactly a fan of clip shows but I've read that it does have at least good writing and maybe something plot-relevant.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's great if you haven't been following the series closely and want a refresher or a good jumping on point.

It's also good in that some of the characters are coming to their own conclusions that they weren't able to beforehand, conclusions about others on the team and their immediate command.

There's pretty much no plot advancement though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not really necessary viewing and can be skipped if you have other things to do.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The cave from the latest episode of King Ohger was already used in an earlier episode, so the only logical conclusion is that there are two identical caves in Terra and Earth.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, do we know how long this Kyoryuger crossover is going to last (or was it just a oneshot, I haven't seen the episode yet)?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MachuPikacchu posted:

The cave from the latest episode of King Ohger was already used in an earlier episode, so the only logical conclusion is that there are two identical caves in Terra and Earth.

Toei stock locations span all universes, planets, and timelines. That quarry is a cosmic constant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Toei stock locations span all universes, planets, and timelines. That quarry is a cosmic constant.

Same, but that parking structure and (formerly) that stage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Same, but that parking structure and (formerly) that stage.

Oh, the stage isn’t around anymore? When’d that happen?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, do we know how long this Kyoryuger crossover is going to last (or was it just a oneshot, I haven't seen the episode yet)?

I believe it's two episodes long, so this week and next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I believe it's two episodes long, so this week and next week.

Gotcha, a pity we couldn't get Daigo back rather than the new kid though (he did have some lines in flashbacks however)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Oh, the stage isn’t around anymore? When’d that happen?

I might be mistaking it for another location.
https://tokusatsunetwork.com/2020/11/harumi-wharf-to-be-torn-down-after-olympics/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I finally watched Shin Ultraman. I'm just gonna repost my review from the October thread here for eveyone to agree with

I loved the first half, largely enjoyed the second half, didn't like the ending

This movie starts out insanely fast paced. We get a super quick summary of the first appearances of kaiju, leading to the creation of the SSSP, which them immediately deposits us into an SSSP mission, the multiple schemes they come up with to try to stop the Neronga, and then Ultraman appears, and then a quick overview of political reactions to Ultraman, then the next mission, then Alien Zarab shows up.

I wouldn't call it rushed, more like vacuum sealed. They took all the air out and concentrated it down as tight as possible. Which I fully enjoyed. Lots of people in military tents talking about the latest energy readings, extremely my poo poo.

It does start to slow down in the Alien Zarab part, or at least that's when it stays on one thing for awhile. It definitely slows down with Alien Mefilas, and the final part with Zetton almost approached the pacing of a normal fast paced movie. Which ironically means that the part with the actual ticking clock is also the slowest paced part of the whole movie.

And to be honest, I didn't like the conclusion of the Zetton stuff, which is the climax and conclusion of the whole movie. Like, they have the whole of humanity's knowledge come together and the solution is "press the button twice". They didn't even build a gizmo! They definitely should have built a gizmo. What makes it especially stand out as bad is that this movie takes so much from the original show and either does it basically faithfully or puts a new and interesting twist on it. But the Zetton is just strictly worse than how it happened in the show. In the show, humanity defeated Zetton. Ultraman straight up couldn't, he wasn't strong enough, but humanity's ingenuity could. It was important because it showed humanity wasn't reliant on Ultraman forever, we were growing and becoming stronger and nearing the point where we could stand on our own feet. So to have Ultraman defeat Zetton using his own drat Beta Capsule based on advice from humanity that frankly I doubt Ultraman couldn't have figured out on his own, is a strict downgrade.

It's tough because as I said, I loved this movie early on when it's just ripping through SSSP adventures. But the ending didn't work for me at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ri-1j8DAwc

Ryuga season 3

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Hell yes, Garo! I've been wanting more of this for ages.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought garo was dead and gone.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
hell yeah garo!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i thought garo was dead and gone.

I was worried that it might be since there was basically nothing after Versus Road, but I'm glad to see that wasn't true.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Garo is basically self-funded by stunt performers, right? Presumably it gets made when and if they can raise capital, kinda regardless of how "well" it does.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

DoctorWhat posted:

Garo is basically self-funded by stunt performers, right? Presumably it gets made when and if they can raise capital, kinda regardless of how "well" it does.
Close. It's mainly funded by Keita Amemiya, the artist and director behind the franchise and many other tokusatsu properties. The funding for it is based on what Amemiya himself can invest plus whatever profits it makes from merchandising, pachinko, and ticket sales from the movies. We had a period of time without any proper Garo work because the well was quite literally dry after the pandemic closed up most pachinko parlors and the last movie didn't perform very well (which they warned was going to influence if there would be another Garo show).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Gotchard is really not selling me on the whole "I tried to write Rinne as an entire partner main character, not just a sidekick/love interest" right now.

Also Hotaro sure spends a lot of time this episode spying on people?

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
https://twitter.com/Gotcha_toei/status/1712588956238533119

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Decade got some bling after Zi-O.

Edit: more clear view of Legendecade, more images in the link
https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1712592759025283135?t=9alJrucQYGIyJ3k2c_dQoQ&s=19

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 12, 2023

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
This too is Decade's fault.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

the tagline is the loving same too

onore decaaaade

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Caphi posted:

Gotchard is really not selling me on the whole "I tried to write Rinne as an entire partner main character, not just a sidekick/love interest" right now.

Also Hotaro sure spends a lot of time this episode spying on people?

The show keeps suggesting she might do something then backs off, but the intro sure is suggesting she's getting a belt eventually. Or maybe she won't and that part of the intro is just going to be weird nonsense, who knows. Either way, I'm curious to see where they're going with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rinne is just the Reiwa Kiriko.