Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

G'raha's hero worship is a bit much and I am not a fan of him like most of the fandom is but he isn't even the worst cat scion.

Anyway talking about what people are talking about on reddit is weird and I don't know why you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

He doesn’t squeal, he trips over a stack of books in surprise and falls on the floor.

Which is still clearly trying to appeal to people like me who enjoy his more “has a crush” coded moments but still.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I feel the G'raha hate is analogous to the post-2.x Alphinaud hate. Just picked up on some traits that aren't either relevant now, or they've moved past.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

imo they should specifically make it so raha is the only scion you can kiss just to anger the haters

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Would rather kiss Urianger but I suppose he's going steady with Thancred.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I was about to post "gently caress it's nice to be in the SA FFXIV threads and not have to read insipid Reddit nonsense" but now we're into G'raha discourse so I feel like instead I want to defend my husbando.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

graha's just kind of excited to be around you. i dont find it super endearing but idk how people build it up this much in their heads.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah there's like two moments in the entire game where I would consider it even slightly overbearing

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

lines posted:

I was about to post "gently caress it's nice to be in the SA FFXIV threads and not have to read insipid Reddit nonsense" but now we're into G'raha discourse so I feel like instead I want to defend my husbando.

every time someone posts about something they read or heard off-site it's a sign that I don't gotta look at the thread for the rest of the day, which is great!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

lines posted:

I was about to post "gently caress it's nice to be in the SA FFXIV threads and not have to read insipid Reddit nonsense"

I have bad news about the two worst posters in this thread.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Is the ffxiv subreddit in the room with us right now?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Is the ffxiv subreddit in the room with us right now?

let me check

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, yeah, it's probably a bad choice of word. But I just don't like how much G'raha Tia is obsessed with the WoL. It creeps me out.

What's a better single word that means "someone who without you asking and without you reciprocating acts overly obsessed with you, worships the ground you walk on, squeals when they hear your voice, wants to spend every waking moment around you, and will literally drop anything at any moment to do anything you ask of them"?

Just look at the quest to unlock Eureka Orthos. He's literally tripping over himself to drop everything he's doing just because he gets so excited to hear the WoL's voice.

I liked the Crystal Exarch. I loving hate G'raha Tia.

yes

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Like “I don’t really enjoy G’raha” and “I don’t ship my WoL and G’raha” are completely valid takes (I don’t particularly enjoy Emet/Azem and as such Emet’s relationship with my Azem was completely platonic, for an example of not enjoying a popular interpretation that I have). But “G’raha is an incurable simp the game can’t stop shoving down my throat” is quite a take when he’s been out of focus of the MSQ after 6.1.

(Which is not a complaint. He’s gotten a lot of time in the sun so a Y’shtola and Estinien and new person adventure was a good idea.)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I have bad news about the two worst posters in this thread.

I'm trying to get better from it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I like all of my friends

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

hopeandjoy posted:

Like “I don’t really enjoy G’raha” and “I don’t ship my WoL and G’raha” are completely valid takes (I don’t particularly enjoy Emet/Azem and as such Emet’s relationship with my Azem was completely platonic, for an example of not enjoying a popular interpretation that I have). But “G’raha is an incurable simp the game can’t stop shoving down my throat” is quite a take when he’s been out of focus of the MSQ after 6.1.

(Which is not a complaint. He’s gotten a lot of time in the sun so a Y’shtola and Estinien and new person adventure was a good idea.)

Gotta crank that opinion up to 11 if you want that sweet sweet attention

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I had one fan who I enjoyed. His name is Haurchefant. He was our biggest supporter without being a turbo dweeb about it.

Catman tries too hard

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Was this on the reddit recently? It's been a thread subject since ce ShB too.

E: Haurchefant #1 fan

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 25, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shinjobi posted:

I had one fan who I enjoyed. His name is Haurchefant. He was our biggest supporter without being a turbo dweeb about it.

Catman tries too hard

I assure you Haurchefant was an incredible dweeb and you'd know this if you'd been around for, I think it was the year of the horse event.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Quote isn't edit 2, I need to sleep

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alphinaud is my fav fan. The kid is alright.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G'raha is a dork who likes adventure. He wants to go on adventures and has fun doing so. He is excited to go on adventures with you because you have objectively the best adventures.

You can read it as a crush or platonic but he likes adventure. That is it.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

hopeandjoy posted:

He doesn’t squeal, he trips over a stack of books in surprise and falls on the floor.

Which is still clearly trying to appeal to people like me who enjoy his more “has a crush” coded moments but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJwAabzAY8

A lot of characters in the game develop crushes on the WoL. G'raha is just clumsier about it than most.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alphinaud is my fake elf son and I'm proud of him and G'raha is the guy who handles the extremely important duty of managing my fanclub and newsletter (the Bartolomeo to my Luffy.)

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Consummate Professional posted:

Hit 50 rival wings wins. Don’t plan on hitting 100 this event because I’ll be so burned out, but I should have tomes to spare to try and make some money.

Congrats on 50 wins! Hope you'll join the weekly event syncs when they start back up again in 6.5.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I don't think there are any protagonists I outright dislike for any reason. :unsmith: I like hanging out with all my Scion buds, especially.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
G'raha forever won my respect for his scene in Radz-at-Han.

I like all of the Scions, no qualifiers.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

G'raha is a big dummy who loves eating and getting caught up in nonsense and hell, same

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Compared to other expansions, the MSQ lead-in to Dawntrail is going to be "oh crap the alarm didn't go off. GET IN THE CAR, PEOPLE, OUR FLIGHT LEAVES AT 10!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IMO our cat-shaped fanboi buddy is sometimes too much but not TOO too much. I've known that guy. I've *been* that guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
G'raha's got the same problem to me as the 'canon' romance choice in any game with multiple romance options: they tried so hard to make him appealing that they sanded off all the edges and made him boring. I've been waiting for them to reveal that he can't cook, because that is exactly the grade of 'character flaw' that this sort of character gets.

I don't want him to die, but I do want him to go on the same 'turns up maybe once an expansion to feed the shippers' shelf that Aymeric is on.

Also, on Zero: I wonder how many people speculating about what's going to happen to her are going to be surprised that she's going to be a core party member for Dawntrail and act like this was in any way in doubt or a close shave, when she's been in the same zone that G'raha was in the 5.x patches this whole time: she's in the Trust leveling system despite being at level cap. The groundwork for her being there for Dawntrail has literally been there since she was introduced and I'm still confused why people just don't notice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like I'm insane, because G'raha doesn't really make that much of an impression on me, good or bad. He's around, and he's like fine. I don't really notice him being like clingy at all, he's just there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The only time I've disliked one of the NPC protags was Alphinaud during the worst part of post-ARR when my character was forced to do and say nothing about his slow-motion fuckup

E: and maybe Thancred during portions of ShB, but I think I was annoyed by him in exactly the way the story intended and then it got resolved so that doesn't really count

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 25, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like I'm insane, because G'raha doesn't really make that much of an impression on me, good or bad. He's around, and he's like fine. I don't really notice him being like clingy at all, he's just there.

that's me with hauchefant to be honest. it didnt help that his introduction was him leering at my female character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raha is at times just another of the kids I babysit and at other times my good friend and only other adventurer in this party of nerds (still also a nerd though) and also Thancred. But alas he is at the very least probably less dateable than when he was covered in rocks and some people just can't get over that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zeruel posted:

that's me with hauchefant to be honest. it didnt help that his introduction was him leering at my female character.

He had Resting Betrayal Face to me so I read all of his actions in the most cynical, Romulan-esque way possible. "Haurchefant really put everything on the line to convince Father to allow you here" yeah I bet he did. Bet he told you not to tell me that, too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Raha is at times just another of the kids I babysit and at other times my good friend and only other adventurer in this party of nerds (still also a nerd though) and also Thancred. But alas he is at the very least probably less dateable than when he was covered in rocks and some people just can't get over that.

The Exarch was much hotter

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Cleretic posted:

G'raha's got the same problem to me as the 'canon' romance choice in any game with multiple romance options: they tried so hard to make him appealing that they sanded off all the edges and made him boring. I've been waiting for them to reveal that he can't cook, because that is exactly the grade of 'character flaw' that this sort of character gets.

https://youtu.be/eVi_s0E7v94?si=eT8jagU35r1-x9M_&t=1992

You are going to be waiting for a long time because at least when it comes to sandwiches, he cooks just fine.

Edit: G'raha's character flaw is his exceptionally low self esteem.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 25, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

The Exarch was much hotter

Yeah.......

You're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Having just redone Shadowbringers the Exarch is merely trying to keep the thinnest veneer of deniability the whole time because he's trying to do a thing that you might want to stop and he gets these ideas about destiny because it's the best he can do compared to the Warrior of Light, but there's a constant note of "yo the Exarch seems super excited to see you, like he's doing everything for your benefit and that's all he's really been trying to do since the Crystal Tower first showed up". Even in the Crystal Tower story he so quickly arrives at "dang WoL is sooo much cooler than me haha, boy it'd be nice to adventure with them though". At worst G'raha is simply unshackled by the expectation of dying at the end of the story anymore.