Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Well i needed to buy paints online for my Kill Team project (my local GW is apparently so small they skip fairly well used paints like Thunderhawk Blue, and the manager seems resigned to the fact no one cares about his tiny shop in a crap place and is just basically just another hobbist there) so I ended up just buying two Dark Commune boxes, and I suspected I can get the lord with hammer cheap off ebay and I did.

List I've ended up making is:

quote:

1 x Chaos Lord
1 x Master of Executions w/ burning talisman
1 x Master of Possession w/ Liber Hereticus
2 x Dark Commune

1 x Cultists

1 x Rhino

2 x Max squads of Accursed Cultists
2 x Chosen MSU
1 x Max Squad of Possessed
1 x Five Warp Talons
1 x Obliterator
1 x Forgefiend

1 x Nurglings
1 x The Changling

Theoretically could swap out the obliterates and Forgefiend for more melee in the form of Possessed or whatever but I feel none of the melee options have great anti-tank options. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
lethal hits and rerolls mean you don't really care about toughness that much

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Al-Saqr posted:

finished my PsychoPhage! what do you guys think? would love comments and critiques!

What are all the bits and bobs on that base? It looks great.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

What are all the bits and bobs on that base? It looks great.

Thanks, its made out of Different shades of grass, tufts, grey rocks, dirt paste and miniature tree leaves from different hobby vendors. Red arm blood is blood for the blood god technical.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Finished magnus (x-post from the mini thread)

Holy crap, these pictures are AMAZING

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

what do people use to build their armies these days

i got 4000 some odd points of metal battle sisters that need to come back out and remind people to sit the gently caress down

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Metal sisters? Embrace the past and use pen and paper :colbert:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Can I get folks opinions on this 1k pts list please?

quote:

CHARACTER

Platoon Command Squad (60pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1x Warlord
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Power Weapon
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Laspistol
• 1x Plasma Gun
• 3x Lasgun
• 1x Regimental Standard
• 1x Master Vox
• 1x Medi-pack

Regimental Enginseer (45pts)
• 1x Archeotech Pistol
• 1x Enginseer Axe
• 1x Servo-arm

BATTLELINE

Infantry Squad (60pts)
• 1x Sergeant, 7 Guardsmen and 1 Heavy Weapons Team
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 1x Power Weapon
• 7x Lasgun
• 8x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad (60pts)
• 1x Sergeant, 7 Guardsmen and 1 Heavy Weapons Team
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 1x Power Weapon
• 7x Lasgun
• 8x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Heavy Bolter

OTHER DATASHEETS

Attilan Rough Riders (70pts)
• 4x Attilan Rough Rider
• 4x Laspistol
• 4x Lasgun
• 4x Hunting Lance
• 1x Rough Rider Sergeant
• 1x Power Sabre
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Goad Lance

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Hydra (95pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Hydra Autocannon

Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (260pts)
• 1x 2 Additional Heavy Stubbers
• 2x Heavy Stubber
• 1x 2 Heavy Bolters
• 2x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Armoured tracks
• 1x Castigator Gatling Cannon
• 1x Heavy Stubber
• 1x Oppressor Cannon and Co-axial Autocannon
• 1x Co-axial Autocannon
• 1x Oppressor Cannon

Chimera (70pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Chimera Multi-laser
• 1x Heavy Flamer
• 1x Lasgun Array

Chimera (70pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Chimera Multi-laser
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Lasgun Array

Chimera (70pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Chimera Multi-laser
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Lasgun Array

From my limited experiences playing guard I've found I'm most successful when I seize a lot of ground early, then hold onto it for as long as I can. I have a far harder time pushing my opponent off objectives. This list has some problems for sure, but I don't think any are fatal. I'm woefully short on infantry, and those units are small to fit in chimera. I'm quite short on orders too, I don't have a good way to solve that.
My plan is rather obvious, rush forwards onto objectives and pillbox them with the chimera. Dorn with Enginseer close by is my fixer, it isn't optimized for one role, but can fight monsters/tanks, but also spray down hordes. Hydra will mulch flyers, but also chip tanks or really mess up some elites. Arty will slow down fast movers or just provide some much needed firepower. Cavalry can either rush forwards or act as a mobile reserve force. Command squad will likely stay in Chimera to issue orders from a safe distance.
I would love to run a shitload more infantry, but I paint slow and am doing Vostroyans, I don't want to track down and buy many more of these models. In my collection I've also got the following:

-Primaris psyker
-Commissar
-regimental preacher
-Ogryn bodyguard
-unbuilt leman russ (don't know what variant to pick yet)
-armoured sentinel
-ordnance battery (1 bombast and 1 rocket, thanks combat patrol)

So my options to replace things are a bit limited, but I could always buy another kit I suppose. People in my area are fun to play with, but also seem to go hard by default. If anyone recalls, the guy who ran my intro game in 9th tried to table me. So I'm hoping this list, while certainly not competitive, can hold its own and be fun to play.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 24, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Deviant posted:

what do people use to build their armies these days

i got 4000 some odd points of metal battle sisters that need to come back out and remind people to sit the gently caress down

https://www.newrecruit.eu/

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Virtual Russian posted:

Can I get folks opinions on this 1k pts list please?

From my limited experiences playing guard I've found I'm most successful when I seize a lot of ground early, then hold onto it for as long as I can. I have a far harder time pushing my opponent off objectives. This list has some problems for sure, but I don't think any are fatal. I'm woefully short on infantry, and those units are small to fit in chimera. I'm quite short on orders too, I don't have a good way to solve that.
My plan is rather obvious, rush forwards onto objectives and pillbox them with the chimera. Dorn with Enginseer close by is my fixer, it isn't optimized for one role, but can fight monsters/tanks, but also spray down hordes. Hydra will mulch flyers, but also chip tanks or really mess up some elites. Arty will slow down fast movers or just provide some much needed firepower. Cavalry can either rush forwards or act as a mobile reserve force. Command squad will likely stay in Chimera to issue orders from a safe distance.
I would love to run a shitload more infantry, but I paint slow and am doing Vostroyans, I don't want to track down and buy many more of these models. In my collection I've also got the following:

-Primaris psyker
-Commissar
-regimental preacher
-Ogryn bodyguard
-unbuilt leman russ (don't know what variant to pick yet)
-armoured sentinel
-ordnance battery (1 bombast and 1 rocket, thanks combat patrol)

So my options to replace things are a bit limited, but I could always buy another kit I suppose. People in my area are fun to play with, but also seem to go hard by default. If anyone recalls, the guy who ran my intro game in 9th tried to table me. So I'm hoping this list, while certainly not competitive, can hold its own and be fun to play.

Your command squad will last longer / be more effective if attached to an infantry squad.

The hydra is worthless right now (aircraft aren't really the meta)

The rough riders aren't good objective holders but good in strategic reserve as a countercharge (*maybe)

If you're careful (or buy 3rd party turrets), use magnets, etc - you can have all types of Leman Russ in one kit.

Good luck, have fun!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hydra is anti-fly, the fly keyword is quite common if I'm not mistaken. (maybe not common, but in my local area everyone seems to have at least one.)

For the command squad I was thinking it would last far longer in a chimera, I might even swap out the banner and medic for a heavy weapon. I could get them firing off the gun deck. I would think they'd die like crazy if I put them into a little squad, not to mention then they can't fit in the Chimera.

I can see what you mean about the RR, maybe I'll just keep them as my reserve for counter-charging. Or maybe I could swap them?

Also yeah, I've been pondering how to get the most out of the rus.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 24, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Your command squad will last longer / be more effective if attached to an infantry squad.

The hydra is worthless right now (aircraft aren't really the meta)

The rough riders aren't good objective holders but good in strategic reserve as a countercharge (*maybe)

If you're careful (or buy 3rd party turrets), use magnets, etc - you can have all types of Leman Russ in one kit.

Good luck, have fun!

Hydra is Anti-Fly, not Anti-Aircraft. Still not optimal, but could be dangerous to some Flyer heavy armies. Twin-Linked and re-rolls Hits against Flyers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Hydra is one of the better looking "newer" imperial guard tanks

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
yeah I mean ultimately this is more about your local meta than anything.

if you play with a bunch of people that use shining spears and biker custodes etc sure

you could call all of your guys 'catachans' and have them scout 6" in their chimeras at the start of the battle to get extra movement towards objectives

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Metal sisters? Embrace the past and use pen and paper :colbert:

psht, even then i had a paid copy of ArmyBuilder. What am I, amish?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Hydra is one of the better looking "newer" imperial guard tanks

I don't think it looks as nice as the old forgeworld one, but I'm not about to pay for an OOP resin kit. It still looks great all things considered. The detailing in the console is excellent. I haven't assembled it yet, I'm slowly working myself up to possibly having to entirely sculpt a Vostoryan crew for the console.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Kitchner posted:

Theoretically could swap out the obliterates and Forgefiend for more melee in the form of Possessed or whatever but I feel none of the melee options have great anti-tank options. Maybe I'm missing something though.

I play a list a bit like this one, but only one big accursed cultist block and a single 10-man Khorne Chosen in a rhino. I fill out the extra points with a second triple plasma forgefiend, both nurgle but undivided on a second isn’t a bad plan either, then Blue Scribes and another unit of Nurglings. As much as I love the Master of Possession, I had to drop him; I didn’t consider him worth it at 70 points, and the decision to hike him to 80 still makes no sense to me.

As mentioned - Khorne Chosen with a master of executions are swinging about 50 times for a 10-man unit with the leader, all of it lethal on 5s, with full reroll to hit on anything that’s missing a single wound (for single model targets) or a single model (multi model units). I included mine specifically as a melee anti-tank unit. All power weapons, AP2. Should note that a 5-man may struggle to do real damage; they can probably kill a war dog or armiger, but not two in one go.

10-man undivided possessed are anti-tank. Anti-anything really. You do full hit and wound reroll stratagem, pact for sustained, don’t fish for hits, but fish for devastating on wounds. On average you get 13 6s, so 26 wounds. The real question with possessed is if they survive to do their thing; they aren’t as tough as their datasheet looks, and with their speed you’re going to be tempted to put them in risky positions. All those 40mm bases can hand out LOS.

It’s the accursed cultists I’m not sure about in an anti tank role. If you run them as undivided and pop their once per game thing, yeah, they will annihilate anything - once. You also may have wanted to use that stratagem elsewhere, or be out of CP. I was running a karnivore and some other stuff with those points before, and haven’t really gotten to play with the accursed coven that much yet, so it remains to be seen if I really have enough anti-tank in my list to compete with, say, a 13 war dog list.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

yeah I mean ultimately this is more about your local meta than anything.

if you play with a bunch of people that use shining spears and biker custodes etc sure

you could call all of your guys 'catachans' and have them scout 6" in their chimeras at the start of the battle to get extra movement towards objectives

I like that catachan idea, I'll give that a try too. I'll miss the heavy weapon on the firing deck, but 6 inches is 6 inches. Also yeah, one of my main opponents plays Custodes and loves the jet bikes, that alone did a lot to make me buy the hydra. It sounds like I should keep working on fine tuning this, but I don't think i'll be getting tabled turn two? That is my big worry, these people are fun to hang with and play with, but they will table me if they can.

edit: I really like that catachan idea, it sacrifices a lot of firepower, but overwatching those flamers would possibly cause someone to think twice about charging them.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 24, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
1k guard is tough sledding no matter what, don't be too hard on yourself

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/24/sunday-preview-codex-space-marines-slams-into-action/

Surprising absolutely no one, next week is Space Marine pre-order time.

That's pretty much it when it comes to pre-orders. Just lots and lots of Space Marines. With some older stuff getting stand alone boxes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/24/sunday-preview-codex-space-marines-slams-into-action/

That's pretty much it when it comes to pre-orders. Just lots and lots of Space Marines. With some older stuff getting stand alone boxes.

Including individual releases for the Augustus box

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

The Leviathan Mission Deck release is a key release here that's not SM specific so wanted to call that out for the crowd.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Here's the ones I have.

And a Knight one too.

Thank you!

If you don't mind paying a couple bucks the Interactive Mini Painting Catalogue is a really good tool for figuring out paint schemes. There's a community model pack on the impcat reddit that has files for GW models/paints as well as other brands.
http://impcat.design-bench.com/
Some examples

I've been using it to plan out my marine chapter colours.

And thank you, I don't think I'll mind paying a few bucks to preview my ideas. I really want to get my Corsairs right in paint after the energy I've invested in their customized assemblies.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

two week preorder period too which is a little interesting (probably no preorders or just FW/BL next week)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

drat, Marines really do get the special treatment. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is that a new sculpt already for the godawful primaries rocket launcher guys?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like it's the same one as before from the box with the Lt and the BrutaNought. The sergeant threw me off a bit but then I realized the other poses are exactly the same.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

drat, Marines really do get the special treatment. :v:

They have seven detachments including the Gladius detachment. 13 pages of the codex are dedicated to detachment rules, enhancements, and stratagems.

The codex is 213 pages total split in the following ways:

* 89 pages of lore and photos
* 9 pages of combat patrol rules
* 13 pages of detachment/stratagem/enhancement rules
* 69 pages of datasheets
* 19 pages for crusade rules

What's interesting there is that combat patrol is 8 pages. I guess it has specific datasheets listed there and not in the datasheet section.

The detachment names are all suitably vague so even knowing some of them it's hard to remember what they are:

* Gladius Strike Force
* Anvil Seige Force
* Ironstorm Spearhead
* Firestorm Assault Force
* Stormlance Task Force
* Vanguard Spearhead
* 1st Company Task Force

(They found a good thing and stuck with it)

I guess Ironstorm is basically Iron Hands, Firestorm is Salamanders, Stormlance is White Scars, Anvil is Imperial Fists, and Vanguard is Ravenguard?

I wonder then if there's going to be no supplements for Space Marines that don't have unique units. So basically just UM, BA, SW, and DA.

The rumour that "primaris captain" isn't a thing anymore is true though. Just captains and lieutenants now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kitchner posted:

The rumour that "primaris captain" isn't a thing anymore is true though. Just captains and lieutenants now.

Good!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Going by the article from last week, Vanguard is Raven Guard aligned yes.

At this point the codex supplement for other chapters without special models is about as dead as the Old Ones.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 25, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm still going to hold out a vague hope for an Iron Hands terminator character/whatever one day but I won't hold my breath, the last thing the marines need is more list bloat

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is that a new sculpt already for the godawful primaries rocket launcher guys?

No, they just hadn't been available in a standalone box yet.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Looks like it's the same one as before from the box with the Lt and the BrutaNought. The sergeant threw me off a bit but then I realized the other poses are exactly the same.

Do those guys really only have 3 poses?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sure looks like it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kitchner posted:

They have seven detachments including the Gladius detachment. 13 pages of the codex are dedicated to detachment rules, enhancements, and stratagems.

The codex is 213 pages total split in the following ways:

* 89 pages of lore and photos
* 9 pages of combat patrol rules
* 13 pages of detachment/stratagem/enhancement rules
* 69 pages of datasheets
* 19 pages for crusade rules

What's interesting there is that combat patrol is 8 pages. I guess it has specific datasheets listed there and not in the datasheet section.

The detachment names are all suitably vague so even knowing some of them it's hard to remember what they are:

* Gladius Strike Force
* Anvil Seige Force
* Ironstorm Spearhead
* Firestorm Assault Force
* Stormlance Task Force
* Vanguard Spearhead
* 1st Company Task Force

(They found a good thing and stuck with it)

I guess Ironstorm is basically Iron Hands, Firestorm is Salamanders, Stormlance is White Scars, Anvil is Imperial Fists, and Vanguard is Ravenguard?

I wonder then if there's going to be no supplements for Space Marines that don't have unique units. So basically just UM, BA, SW, and DA.

Excuse you that's the Anvilus Siege Force. Nothing is more James Workshop than latinizing a Germanic word.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’m fine with condensing the captain datasheets, although I wish firstborn and Primaris captains didn’t have different base sizes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kitchner posted:

The "big four" as established in 2nd ed, although I would think Black Templars will have a book too, although maybe they will be content with their units under Gladius or whatever. At least the Angels both at least put up the front of organising themselves per the Codex Astartes.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Deathwatch are also getting their own codex.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
My tyranids codex isnt even here yet despite pre-ordering it. Gonna have to send an angry letter to GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

I'm still going to hold out a vague hope for an Iron Hands terminator character/whatever one day but I won't hold my breath, the last thing the marines need is more list bloat
These kinds of one-offs are exactly what they'd put in White Dwarf.

I have a feeling Stormlance Thunderwolves are gonna be kinda dumb when you combine the Stormlance reactive move Strategem with the Battleleader on Wolf bloodsurge ability. If any enemy ends a move within 9" they get a free 6“ for a CP. Then if they're shot they can move D6" and end in combat. They're gonna be so sticky.