Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
This Trails of Cold Steel anime series is pretty bad. I came in at least a little enthusiastic to see more stuff about the Northern War but that is fading very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The episode with the clowns kinda owns

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh neat, there’s an episode with Patrick in it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ytlaya posted:

But you don't get Kazuma Kiryu as the Oathbreaker....

You also don't get Daisuke Ono as Van or Tomokazu Seki as Dantes.

These are concessions one may have to make.

(I played all of CS4 and Reverie with Japanese voices)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Oh god, this gacha mechanic in Reverie

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Oh god, this gacha mechanic in Reverie

Think of it as a free equipment mechanic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's awesome

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Especially at endgame when it just kind of shits upgraded Grail Lockets at you.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Reverie daydream where unfortunately even the name is a spoiler so i can't specify: lol Cedric. "nobody will use me ever again, so im going to join the guys who use everyone and each-other all the time." you dingus. I guess keeping him as a little poo poo is way better than the baffling character arc he had in CS4 where he goes back to normal but then joins team evil anyway.

also lol Campanella "it takes more than a little darkness to become ~an enforcer~" yeah it takes a little darkness and beating Gilbert apparently. No wonder you guys tried to recruit Estelle. At least we got to see the destined clash between Erebonia and Liberl's greatest failsons

Terper posted:

It's awesome

i am drowning in socks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
how do i keep track of all these orbs ahhh.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:orb:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

Reverie daydream where unfortunately even the name is a spoiler so i can't specify: lol Cedric. "nobody will use me ever again, so im going to join the guys who use everyone and each-other all the time." you dingus. I guess keeping him as a little poo poo is way better than the baffling character arc he had in CS4 where he goes back to normal but then joins team evil anyway.

also lol Campanella "it takes more than a little darkness to become ~an enforcer~" yeah it takes a little darkness and beating Gilbert apparently. No wonder you guys tried to recruit Estelle. At least we got to see the destined clash between Erebonia and Liberl's greatest failsons

i am drowning in socks

I mean Cedric didn't just beat Gilbert, he was holding off an entire army for a good chunk of time there. It's honestly pretty impressive even if there was a case of Not Going All Out because of course there was.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Cedric didn't just beat Gilbert, he was holding off an entire army for a good chunk of time there. It's honestly pretty impressive even if there was a case of Not Going All Out because of course there was.

I'm not sure any character in the series can actually hold off Literally All The Red Constellation Going All Out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
hosed up that Intense Chase’s Super Arrange version goes as hard as it does and never gets used in Azure, unless I’m in for a big surprise come final dungeon time. Tbh it’s messed up that Zero had some all-time banger battle themes that don’t get used in Azure all that often, though I guess the generic miniboss theme is a step up from Zero’s.

Kinda curious about the OST in general, though I know Falcom’s kinda cagey about their composers. Formidable Enemy almost feels like it was specifically meant for the final dungeon’s randoms since the leitmotif from Whereabouts of Light is in there, and Intense Chase was probably meant for…well, chases, before being used as an end of chapter boss theme on top of those.

Azure big finale spoilers: cant say I ever expected to care all that much about Grimwood’s little lawyer protege but here we are post-letter. Knowing enough about stuff that’s been spoiled I’m guessing the master plan is gonna be something along the lines of “rewrite reality to bring our loved ones back to life.” Or, at least Arios and Grimwood’s master plan, maybe I get proved wrong but Mariabell just seems like she’s here to be the Weissman/Gunter “god I just love being evil and smug, it’s so fun” character. and do ojousama laughs. She sure loves those.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

his robot buddy did most of the direct combat on that front while he ran for it(which is honestly a good tactic so i'm not knocking it), but it wouldn't be Cedric if he didn't claim he accomplished everything alone while someone/thing else did all the actual work

Cyouni posted:

I'm not sure any character in the series can actually hold off Literally All The Red Constellation Going All Out.

eh the Constellation is tough but not unbeatable even in large numbers. Not alone though ofc. And maybe not Literally All Of Them because that includes the two deadliest members, Sigmund and Sigmund's Clock

e: different daydream: lol at Machias and Dudley staring at each-other like they're long-lost twins who each have half of the same paperwork-shaped pendant

e2: oh my god can nothing keep this woman behind bars

my main complaint about CSIV's bonkers cast is that they never really did anything with it so i'm glad they're having fun in Reverie

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 23, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
they wouldn't have given him the robot if they didn't want him to use it tho

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

they wouldn't have given him the robot if they didn't want him to use it tho

well yeah of course, i'm just saying that the bar for ~enforcer~ seems kind of low despite Campanella's earlier posturing. Like Cedric has the delusions and terrible life-choices down pat, but he doesn't really seem all that tough compared to every other enforcer and ex-enforcer we've seen.

anyway i don't have a problem with where they took his character, just saying it's funny that the daydream had a "he has a long way to go to hit the big leagues" opening followed by him hitting the big leagues immediately.

e: edited for brevity, it's late and i'm rambling

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 23, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this full CP recharge upgrade for the car in Azure is a game changer...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was too cheap to spring for it, but it kinda didn’t help that you have Wild Cry and Death Scorpion out of the gate. I guess I can blow the poo poo out of minibosses with it on my next playthrough though!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Yinlock posted:

well yeah of course, i'm just saying that the bar for ~enforcer~ seems kind of low despite Campanella's earlier posturing. Like Cedric has the delusions and terrible life-choices down pat, but he doesn't really seem all that tough compared to every other enforcer and ex-enforcer we've seen.

anyway i don't have a problem with where they took his character, just saying it's funny that the daydream had a "he has a long way to go to hit the big leagues" opening followed by him hitting the big leagues immediately.

e: edited for brevity, it's late and i'm rambling

Yeah, I am not impressed or scared of either (CS 4 end/Reverie) Shirley or Cedric as Enforcers. Maybe it's simply that there's no mystery there to uncover, but I consider them strictly bottom tier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gonna be really funny when Cedric shows up to kick your party's rear end and even if you beat him he smugly points out he wasn't really trying.

Whoever the next protagonist going "D-drat it... we gave it our all and we still barely pushed him back!" while people who played Cold Steel silently scream inside.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zero was good but I'm enjoying Azure's story way more, specially with the edge that someone like Wazy brings to the crew/dialogue

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

frajaq posted:

Zero was good but I'm enjoying Azure's story way more, specially with the edge that someone like Wazy brings to the crew/dialogue

Wazy rules, yeah. Def one of my favorite Trails party members.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I am not impressed or scared of either (CS 4 end/Reverie) Shirley or Cedric as Enforcers. Maybe it's simply that there's no mystery there to uncover, but I consider them strictly bottom tier.

Shirley's threat is mostly sold by the hosed-up poo poo she does in Azure. I at least have to take her somewhat seriously just for that even if she's never been all that impressive battle-wise.

Cedric otoh, lol.

frajaq posted:

this full CP recharge upgrade for the car in Azure is a game changer...

getting every recharge car upgrade asap is an amazing investment and ultimately saves you a ton of money

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
“The doll sees all”

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am not threatened by Cedric but I am very proud of them growing as a person by embracing their worst qualities.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks about Trails through Daybreak when it comes out. Hoping to finish it by sometime tomorrow night (I'm a bit into the final chapter now). Definitely my favorite game in the series overall.

It'll also be nice to be able to talk about some things that I'm not mentioning here even with spoiler tags, since it'd be extremely lovely if someone learned of them by mistake - I was lucky to be completely unspoiled, which made certain things have a lot more impact than they would have otherwise.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm on Chapter 4 of daybreak and it's really just been nice to have a different experience. If it wasn't for the few tiebacks to previous games I could believe this was a completely different game series. Getting used to the shard system was definitely jarring after prior games.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

please tag even the vaguest discussion about it tia

e: not that the last two posts crossed the spoiler line or anything, i'm just being paranoid because this is like the one place i can somewhat trust to discuss this series without either immediately barfing up spoilers unprompted or doing that "just wait till you get ot THAT part" poo poo

e2: Reverie C chapter 4: Arios "at least the trains ran on time" MacLaine. I knew he was fairly cold but didn't realize that he's kind of a sociopath. makes sense though given what he was fine with in Azure

I wasn't big on Rufus as a protagonist at first but I like that he hasn't suddenly become repentant or less of a complete rear end in a top hat, he's just pointed in the right direction for once. i also enjoy his party composition of absolute freaks

as an aside i don't know how that disguise fooled anyone, that fruity battle pose and extremely smug intonation gives him away from second 1

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 24, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

uhhh why is the minimap showing enemies here? did I get accidentaly spoiled on a future combat location lol? Would be kinda funny because of all the people I could have picked it was the one with Eagle Eye equiped

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

frajaq posted:

uhhh why is the minimap showing enemies here? did I get accidentaly spoiled on a future combat location lol? Would be kinda funny because of all the people I could have picked it was the one with Eagle Eye equiped

what you've never seen a theme park ninja before

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yinlock posted:

please tag even the vaguest discussion about it tia

e: not that the last two posts crossed the spoiler line or anything, i'm just being paranoid because this is like the one place i can somewhat trust to discuss this series without either immediately barfing up spoilers unprompted or doing that "just wait till you get ot THAT part" poo poo

This is fair, and it's why I'm specifically not talking about Daybreak's plot until the game is released, when I'll be replaying the official translation.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have a question about Kuro/Daybreak 2:

I know Nadia and Swin are playable, and Lapis is reasonably important to the plot insomuch that fixing a problem with her is part of their motivations, but where's Rufus? Do they say he's somewhere else? Does he show up but only as an NPC going under a new fake name?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Reverie finale: rip Juno Fortress, thank goodness there were no named NPCs there.

fake edit: oh wait no apparently an entire naval fortress was just left completely unmanned and nobody was hurt at all. tbf the Empire is aggressively demilitarizing so that's not entirely far-fetched but still lol

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Yinlock posted:

Reverie finale: rip Juno Fortress, thank goodness there were no named NPCs there.

fake edit: oh wait no apparently an entire naval fortress was just left completely unmanned and nobody was hurt at all. tbf the Empire is aggressively demilitarizing so that's not entirely far-fetched but still lol

Still far-fetched, imo.

Even if you're aggressively demilitarizing, what's more likely, to start shutting the brand new temporary bases you only built to hold the troops acquired from your aggressive militarizing, or shutting down your largest and only known naval base which is the primary defense for the largest city in the west? In either case, who decommissions a military base, leaving it empty of people but full of weapons - prime for theft or sabotage by enemy agents? (Also presumably full of secret military documents.) Even if you need to demilitarize a military base, there's that giant, useless pile north of Sutherland, which is like an hour from the capital yet couldn't do anything to defend it in the civil war.

But then again, maybe Erebonia's military is just utterly incompetent and full of complete morons, given that General Walter didn't get court-martialed and then busted down to Private after the humiliating embarrassment that was the defense of Garrelia in CS 1.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 25, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its just a goofy plot point.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its just a goofy plot point.

this is correct, but it's funny to poke holes in it

like yes it ultimately doesn't matter and doesn't affect the story at all, but if they're gonna halfass it like that then i'm gonna make fun of it

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Still far-fetched, imo.

Even if you're aggressively demilitarizing, what's more likely, to start shutting the brand new temporary bases you only built to hold the troops acquired from your aggressive militarizing, or shutting down your largest and only known naval base which is the primary defense for the largest city in the west? In either case, who decommissions a military base, leaving it empty of people but full of weapons - prime for theft or sabotage by enemy agents? (Also presumably full of secret military documents.) Even if you need to demilitarize a military base, there's that giant, useless pile north of Sutherland, which is like an hour from the capital yet couldn't do anything to defend it in the civil war.

But then again, maybe Erebonia's military is just utterly incompetent and full of complete morons, given that General Walter didn't get court-martialed and then busted down to Private after the humiliating embarrassment that was the defense of Garrelia in CS 1.

I mean [CSIV] CSIV proved that with the top brass all being like "yeah we know this war is being urged on by an evil supernatural force and is gonna likely raze the continent to the ground but what do you expect us to do NOT follow orders? anyway good luck with the whole stopping it thing we'll be cheering you on I guess". erebonia's military is dumb as hell. though I guess Team Osborne would prefer blind loyalty over initiative in their commander selection

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 25, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Daybreak Finale chapter 4spg side-quest question (basically about a certain trio of NPCs) Is it implied that Raymond is also in love with Jesse? I couldn't tell if it was, or if Raymond was just saying "I'm fine with the fact you're gay and in love with me." The whole thing with all 3 friends having a "secret love" theme seems to imply he does share Jesse's feelings, though (since the alternative would be him loving his sister, which obviously isn't the case).

I'm a little bummed they didn't get to be together (and both quests involving Jesse basically directly implied that homosexuality is at least somewhat taboo in Calvard), though it was still nice to see an explicitly gay character who was treated seriously, instead of like Michel or something.

Deeply invested in this side quest chain. I hope these NPCs (and many others) return in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Kuro/Daybreak Chapter 4: I haven't read 3&9, but based on the discussion, I'm assuming "The Garden" is where Swin and Nadia came from?

Also, am I supposed to know who these hooded people are? The cast seems to to have a guess.