Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe decode this secret pact knowledge to us lesser fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been continuing my marathon of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I'm on Season 5 of DS9 and it feels like the plot with the Changelings has fallen to the wayside. That episode where Dax and Worf go to that paradise planet was weird. Voyager's been decent recently. I liked the two-parter Future's End and I'm curious to see where the Doctor's arc heads with his new portable emitter. I liked the appearance of Q in the Q and the Grey and Macrocosm was the first time in a long time that I've had some Spooky Trek. The CGI shows its age, though, and I'm worried how confident the showmakers would get with their animation.

I read there are a few Borg episodes up ahead for Voyager, so I'm hoping those turn out to be cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

I've been continuing my marathon of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I'm on Season 5 of DS9 and it feels like the plot with the Changelings has fallen to the wayside. That episode where Dax and Worf go to that paradise planet was weird. Voyager's been decent recently. I liked the two-parter Future's End and I'm curious to see where the Doctor's arc heads with his new portable emitter. I liked the appearance of Q in the Q and the Grey and Macrocosm was the first time in a long time that I've had some Spooky Trek. The CGI shows its age, though, and I'm worried how confident the showmakers would get with their animation.

I read there are a few Borg episodes up ahead for Voyager, so I'm hoping those turn out to be cool.

Voyager was actually on the cutting edge of CGI for TV, so it gets better because everyone gets better at making it and integrating it. You're basically looking at direct descendants of Babylon 5 stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Macrocosm really stands out in the clumsy CGI stakes, it never really gets that bad again.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I know people usually trash the Voyager Borg episodes but there's this one where they come in on a Borg cube assimilating a world and they somehow get on board and are walking through as all the people are being forcibly borgified that I thought was decently upsetting, but I haven't seen it in years so I don't know how well it holds up.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
True Q. Should have been called Stacey Q. That is a joke I think maybe two people on Earth will get and neither will find funny, but we have google these days, so gently caress you, look it up, scratch your head and go about your day. Or read what I think, which is this; I liked it well enough. As I've said before a few times, I'm a big sucker for Charlie X type lonely god stuff. Hey, Charlie X. Stacey Q. The joke just got like, 2% funnier. Q himself comes across quite malevolent here, which I much prefer to him pratting about the place like a big panto dame, putting silly hats on everybody with a snap of his fingers. Olivia D'abo as a doe eyed innocent trying it on with Riker, who is much too gentlemanly for this sort of thing? It's a trope I really find quite queasy, but it's only a small part of the episode and played about as tastefully as it can be here. Alright!

Rascals. OH JOY, CHILD ACTORS ALL OVER THE PLACE. Look at them, getting in behind the walls and chewing on cables and dabbing and whatever else it is that the yoof are into right now. You know what, this episode is very stupid, but very cute and funny enough. When babby Picard started talking it set me off immediately and becomes no less amusing the longer the episode goes on, because the kid kinda nails him? Pretty obvious kiddie Guinan is dubbed, but grownup Guinan's scene at the end with teensy Ro was sweet. Of course, the 1000 odd crew of the Enterprise getting full on Die-Hard-ed by five Ferengi (still worthless), that's where it puts a toe across the line between "stupid and cute" to "insulting your intelligence". Best part of the whole thing was O'Brien watching his now kiddified wife struggling to get something off a high shelf with an expression on his face that reads for all the world like; "For fucks SAKE."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

Maybe decode this secret pact knowledge to us lesser fans?

The guy in question was a really lovely poster on TrekBBS in the early 2000s that insisted everything post the motion picture wasn't really Star Trek for extremely dubious reasons and I'm not surprised that he turned out to be a literal fascist

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MuddyFunster posted:

Rascals. OH JOY, CHILD ACTORS ALL OVER THE PLACE. Look at them, getting in behind the walls and chewing on cables and dabbing and whatever else it is that the yoof are into right now. You know what, this episode is very stupid, but very cute and funny enough. When babby Picard started talking it set me off immediately and becomes no less amusing the longer the episode goes on, because the kid kinda nails him? Pretty obvious kiddie Guinan is dubbed, but grownup Guinan's scene at the end with teensy Ro was sweet. Of course, the 1000 odd crew of the Enterprise getting full on Die-Hard-ed by five Ferengi (still worthless), that's where it puts a toe across the line between "stupid and cute" to "insulting your intelligence". Best part of the whole thing was O'Brien watching his now kiddified wife struggling to get something off a high shelf with an expression on his face that reads for all the world like; "For fucks SAKE."

Rascals is a good concept undermined by the show's refusal to really commit to the premise one way or the other. It could have been a great comedy episode with touches of drama, or it could have taken a hard look at "actually, what would it mean to suddenly have the body of a child again, with all of the disruptions to your personal and professional relationships that that would cause" with touches of levity, but instead it tries to shoot down the middle and winds up being mediocre at both.

Doesn't help that the writer that got the script assignment for it hated the entire premise.

Infyrion
Oct 5, 2007
Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out here: what if we both decompressed main shuttlebay AND used the tractor beam to alter the other ship's trajectory?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rascals is hopelessly silly but it's completely redeemed by the scene in which Riker improvises the best drat technobabble in Trek history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5EaoSA02LM&t=22s

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Canon is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Canon is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of birds, "Concerning Flight" is a joy. As soon as Da Vinci mentioned escape at the top of the hill, I knew what was going to happen. That's the kind of poo poo I love in Star Trek.

e: Roxann Dawson's birthday is on September 11th, poor lady.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 24, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Speaking of birds, "Concerning Flight" is a joy. As soon as Da Vinci mentioned escape at the top of the hill, I knew what was going to happen. That's the kind of poo poo I love in Star Trek.

e: Roxann Dawson's birthday is on September 11th, poor lady.

Goddamn the next episode “Mortal Coil” is Ethan Phillips’ finest hour as Neelix grapples with his own mortality. The episode even survives a fuckin vision quest with Chakotay.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Arivia posted:

Goddamn the next episode “Mortal Coil” is Ethan Phillips’ finest hour as Neelix grapples with his own mortality. The episode even survives a fuckin vision quest with Chakotay.

I love that episode. I'm usually a VOY hater, but that is one I will stand up for when it comes up. Ethan Philips is fantastic, and the ending is uncharacteristically bold for VOY in resisting the urge to wipe everything away with a Hollywood Ending.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Arivia posted:

Is that the holographic lung episode?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Is that the holographic lung episode?

No, that's when he's clinically dead for a while, realises there's no afterlife and becomes suicidically depressed. It is a pretty good episode that gets unexpectedly raw for Voyager, as described

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's one of Bryan Fuller's ones. Death has always been one of his things. (Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, Hannibal...)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It would be kind of funny if it was implying that there was no afterlife for Talaxians, what with the B'elanna's Sto'Vo'kor episode and everything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rascals should have had a redshirt that gets turned into a kid and takes the deal in the end.

I think there's a decent number of people who would. I'd seriously consider it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

That's one of Bryan Fuller's ones. Death has always been one of his things. (Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, Hannibal...)

It’s frankly amazing it turned out as well as it did. According to Memory Alpha, we got the THIRD version of the script after a zombie Samantha Wildman and a completely Chakotay take. That’s also why I’m giving it a bit of a break on the rough spots (didn’t need the “oh no the nanoprobes aren’t working” swerve for all of literally one scene). It’s 90% great character work and getting the usual Voyager stuff out of the way as much as possible lets it breathe.

Also despite not being the holographic lung episode, it does mention it - Seven describes Neelix’s lung, not lungs, coming back on during the resurrection.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Arivia posted:

Also despite not being the holographic lung episode, it does mention it - Seven describes Neelix’s lung, not lungs, coming back on during the resurrection.

For all of Voyager’s continuity flaws, Neelix having one lung is something they’re surprisingly consistent with!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

The guy in question was a really lovely poster on TrekBBS in the early 2000s that insisted everything post the motion picture wasn't really Star Trek for extremely dubious reasons and I'm not surprised that he turned out to be a literal fascist

Maybe two or three years ago, he emailed the site admin (I'm the #2 there) and asked to be let back in. She's a right-wing nutter, so she acquiesced even though literally the entire mod team was opposed to it.

It was less than two weeks before he started ranting about Jewish conspiracies and the new world order.

Edit: Jesus Christ, it was last October and he flounced after three days.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 24, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Oh God it's not that T'bonz person in charge over there is it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

Oh God it's not that T'bonz person in charge over there is it

She is indeed in charge. I work as XO.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
T’bonz was my favorite wacky collectible as a kid. Got all 1488.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

She is indeed in charge. I work as XO.

activate the autodestruct, the fandom is cursed

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Forums work like Klingon ships, right? You can challenge her to ritual combat to take control?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

It would be kind of funny if it was implying that there was no afterlife for Talaxians, what with the B'elanna's Sto'Vo'kor episode and everything.
Neelix is pretty without honor, so it does track.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
For those wondering what's happening with the Axanar trashfire:

It now has a new producer, literal, no-kidding cult-leader Dave Lanyon! Exactly what he's producing, given that the whole project is more copyright lawsuit than film nowadays is unclear.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Angry Salami posted:

For those wondering what's happening with the Axanar trashfire:

It now has a new producer, literal, no-kidding cult-leader Dave Lanyon! Exactly what he's producing, given that the whole project is more copyright lawsuit than film nowadays is unclear.

Well that's a wild ride. Yikes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

The word "canon" originally referred to the accepted body of scripture comprising the Christian Bible, which is perfect for how it's used in fandom today.

And only slightly less contentious.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MuddyFunster posted:

I wonder what the Star Trek equivalent of Ice Cream Maker man is. Is it Skant Guy?

I vote for Mick Fleetwood fishman

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just finished Q Who and the original premise of the Borg as a solitary but overwhelmingly powerful collective of tech-hoarding zombies is so much better than a strangely passive hegemonising swarm ruled by a sexy robot lady is so much better it pains me that they ever drifted from it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a pretty big difference already between Q Who and BoBW. I don't think they got real deep into borglore when they cooked them up as an inconceivable threat far beyond the capabilities of the Federation.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And now... the Irish. Poor Colm Meaney

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I read this in Milhouse's voice

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

No Dignity posted:

You definitely get why he threw a fit about the original story concept for "If Wishes Were Horses" later on. Can't fault him at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

They gently caress up the Irish as a major threat too as they go along, by Voyager they are all in a weirdo 19th century village living in constant fear of cow transmogrification and wife deletion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Phy posted:

I vote for Mick Fleetwood fishman

Perfection.

No Dignity posted:

God, I remember getting absolutely beaten down by the back half of season two.