Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Definitely don't worry about using stuff as you find it. You'll be drowning in stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HopperUK posted:

Definitely don't worry about using stuff as you find it. You'll be drowning in stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The main story is the game's tutorial.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've had Siralim Ultimate for a while but never really gotten into it until a couple weeks ago. I had the previous Siralim games and tried them for a bit and always ended up bouncing off despite theoretically being really into the team building, but Ultimate seems to have really sanded down most of the rough edges and gotten rid of the annoying grinding in the name of good grinding.

I started out with a monk, which was the class that took me through the story and a good chunk of the initial postgame. I decided to branch out a bit instead of infinitely rerolling the goblet and got a toxicologist team up and running that worked even better and mostly ended battles before the first turn by exponentially increasing poison stacks, and just last night I got a necromancer team up to get past the King Andrik second refight. I generally like to play mostly physical based teams with spells used tactically to defuse specific situations/set off more physical attacks, so I'll probably try and bring a Hell Knight build online soon, but after that I wanna try expanding into one of the other archetypes.

It's wild how my best team (toxicologist) regularly procs 6-7 digits of damage on an enemy per turn, and yet I know all my teams could probably get much better with a little more tweaking. I also assume that with unlocking the Gate of the Gods that I'm close to finally having all the mechanics open to me but I just realized I still don't have access to whatever "Anointments" are...what a game.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I sometimes try to build a team around whatever the goblet of trials tells me to, and sometimes just reroll the goblet until it has hell knight on it

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I do that too. It’s a fun (but sometimes time consuming 😅) way to try new things and keep it fresh.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dangit, I clicked the funny thread that keeps popping up.

Is Ultimate the go-to or should I go for the older ones?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Get Ultimate. You're not missing anything by skipping the other games (you don't play this for the story), and Ultimate has more than enough playtime to keep you occupied indefinitely.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The games are all similar enough that you're not really missing anything by just getting ultimate.

I liked 2/3 but the refinements made mean I'd not want to go back.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I hadn't played this much, and then I lost my save when I had to replace my Steam Deck SSD.

The first time, I played an Animator. Is that a suitable choice as a first playthrough, or is there a more noob-friendly choice?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I recall the most noob-friendly choice being Hell Knight with Evoker and Defiler being just a couple steps down.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Animator has a lot to think about in terms of positioning but it's not like it sucks or anything. If it sounds interesting then go for it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think my first choice was druid, which I think got removed from the starting class list(?) so any of the starting classes is probably fine if you like em.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Hell Knight's easiest for sure. Animist takes a bit of planning to take advantage of the positional slots, but it's pretty straightforward if you work backwards from what each trait does: for example, Molecular Betrayal gives the Animatus a bunch of stats based on your third creature's stats at the start of battle, so put something with a trait that gives it a bunch more stats passively into your third slot--like a Red Storm maybe. Playing around those synergies and the various huge bonuses your Animatus gets passively should go a long way.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
I don't have a particular class recommendation and am not showing up for any reason, certainly not recommending a specific God Realm as a good early unlock or anything.

Why would I do such a thing? :v:

But in all seriousness I'm really hoping to get back into Ultimate myself soon, last time I was playing I messed around for a week on a fresh account but then I got heavily derailed by a bunch of unrelated incidents. I should hop back on my original character (who started as Animator fwiw) and get back into the groove before the end of the year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RISE, thread

quote:

Our first content goal has already been unlocked, and the following content will now be added to the game:

Skip Story Mode: start a new save file with several features already unlocked and all story quests completed. Jump right into the end-game!
Enable All Specializations: this allows you to choose any of the specializations at the start of the game (with the exception of a few obvious ones that don't make sense, like Fanatic and Royal)

Up next are two additional modes:
Ruthless Mode: slower progression, more difficult, and rebalanced gameplay to create a hardcore yet satisfying experience.
Easy Mode: faster progression, slightly easier difficulty, and rebalanced gameplay to make the game more accessible to all players. The name of this mode will change before launch.

Thanks to everyone for their support so far!

quote:

Another content goal has been unlocked! We're adding an ultra-hard version of the game called Ruthless Mode, as well as the opposite of that in the form of Easy Mode.

Up next: Sandbox Mode - start the game with everything unlocked for testing purposes.

More details:
https://bit.ly/siralim

The dev has unlocked the backer shop so you can give 'em more money and they'll keep working on stretch goals!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

RISE, thread

The dev has unlocked the backer shop so you can give 'em more money and they'll keep working on stretch goals!

Hell yeah I'm naming one of the masters!

It's been great seeing more Siralim posting with the humble bundle that just dropped. I posted in one thread but didn't get any bites (that I saw) so I'll reiterate here that if anyone wants to try it out but not commit to the whole bundle or what have you, I've got a spare key I'd love to share with someone who hopefully likes the game as much as I do.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've started a new game as an Inquisitor and I'm trying to build a team around healing doing damage to the enemy, but mostly so far this is turning into fights taking FOREVER lol, I might want to swap over to something else soon....

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've started a new game as an Inquisitor and I'm trying to build a team around healing doing damage to the enemy, but mostly so far this is turning into fights taking FOREVER lol, I might want to swap over to something else soon....

I love Necromancer best, but I really want to sit down and figure out Animator.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Never stopped being a Reaver fan.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
l like clerics. Let me stack my stats to the roof while also healing. Please. I think I did just as well with pyromancer though.

I'm also real glad to see it back. Here's the whole message, from Steam (this went up a few days before the backer shop reopened):
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1289810/view/4181105297278560249?l=english

quote:

I'm pleased to announce that we've resumed development on Siralim Ultimate!

Recently, we distributed a survey via Discord to see what players wanted to be added to the game. With over 500 responses, these insights will pave the way toward a new future for Siralim Ultimate, as well as our other games. Many of the responses took me by surprise, but let's jump to the part you probably care about the most: more content for Siralim Ultimate!

Localization, Bug Fixes, and Quality of Life
The game still has some bugs that need to be fixed, and those fixes will be included in an upcoming patch. I've also included some quality of life features. Lastly, the game will finally support localization so players can enjoy the game in other languages.

Backer Shop
Over one-third of survey respondents (far, far more than expected) expressed interest in the return of the backer shop. So, we're bringing it back, improved and streamlined based on past experiences.

Here's what to expect:
- We'll open a new page on our website where supporters can choose what kind of content they want us to create, payable via PayPal (no account required). The shop will open on May 1, 2024.
- After choosing your content, we'll reach out to you via email to ask for some more details.
- Once approved, your request will be added to our queue.
- Your new content will be added to the game in an upcoming patch. It is important to remember that we will likely receive a lot of orders, and it is very difficult to provide an ETA on when your content will be ready. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated with our progress and plan to keep a public spreadsheet available so you can track this progress in real time.

To be clear, this content will be made available for all players, so even if you don't want to pay for anything, you can still look forward to a huge new batch of creatures, spells, decorations, and much more - absolutely free of charge.

New Game Content
Unsurprisingly, most respondents were interested in new content - particularly, extra game modes (chosen when you start a new save file).

Here are a few examples of some new game modes, but please remember these are all in the "ideas phase" and are subject to change, or might not even make it into the final game at all:

- Sandbox Mode. Gives you instant access to all creatures, spells, decorations, cards, and more. This is great for testing purposes.
- Ruthless Mode. This mode features fewer item drops, faster-scaling difficulty, and other tweaks to slow the game down a bit while making everything feel more rewarding. The name of this mode was borrowed from the same one in Path of Exile, so if you've played that, you should have some idea about what to expect here.
- Story Skip Mode. You'll still start at level 1, but all story quests will be finished, and certain features will be unlocked immediately.
- Randomizer Mode. You'll be able to randomize all kinds of different things, such as the creatures that spawn in each realm, the contents of shops, and much more.
- Calm Mode. This mode aims to make battles feel less hectic by reducing the maximum number of actions that can be taken, such as the number of attacks/casts that can be done in one turn. Several traits and other effects will be modified to make it more difficult to reach these new limits as well.

I have some ideas that are really creative and experimental as well, but I'd rather not reveal them until I'm sure I can make them work.

These modes can be mixed and matched for a personalized gaming experience. We're also planning to unlock some new content through "stretch goals" in our backer shop, akin to Kickstarter campaigns.

Patch Timeline
The difficult part about updating Siralim Ultimate is that so many players (roughly 60%, judging by the survey results) use our cloud storage feature to access their save files on multiple platforms. Unfortunately, this means that if I add content to one platform, you won't be able to play that save file on another platform until that platform receives the new content as well. For that reason, I will keep this patch on our Steam beta branch for a pretty long time.

The patch will include the promised localizations, bug fixes, suggestions, backer content, and much more. It will be an enormous patch that will take months of testing on the beta branch, but this will ensure that 1) your cloud storage service isn't interrupted and 2) supporters can see their new content added to the game as soon as possible.

The Next Game
Lastly, I'm very excited to announce that I've been working on a new game over the last 2 years. It's too soon to reveal any major details yet, but if you like Siralim, I suspect you'll enjoy the new game as well. It's yet another massive RPG that boasts thousands of hours of content.

This year is going to be a massive one for us, and I can't wait to share more information very soon! Stay tuned for more updates and reveals.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 6, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

How easy/difficult is it to swap classes / respec perks in a save file? I'm tempted to swap around but don't want to abandon my progress.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I still think Witchdoctor is the strongest class I played back then, I posted a quick build I used to beat all the content at the time without even fusing any of the monsters

Broken Cog posted:

So... turns out Witchdoctor is pretty strong. I threw together a team, and ascended the class without even fusing any of them. It can also take on instability 5 realms and false gods without breaking a sweat.

Build

And now that I look at it, I notice I even forgot to put an artifact trait on Venedon

Edit: The only god that was even a minor issue at all (Other than Friden being annoying) was Meraxis, but I managed that fight fine when I toned down the friendly fire damage inflicted a bit.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

StrixNebulosa posted:

How easy/difficult is it to swap classes / respec perks in a save file? I'm tempted to swap around but don't want to abandon my progress.

Trivial. You have to unlock the new class in a quest [edit: project] but you can change any time in the castle. You can also respec any time in the castle at the same place, though eventually you will have every talent in the class bought. Both are free (once you complete the project).

If you can't do it yet, just keep playing. Projects are part of mandatory progression.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 6, 2024

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've built decent teams for a good handful of classes, but oddly I haven't really gone in hard on any of the spellcasting classes, I guess I worry at high levels about running out of charges and it seems harder to scale? That might be a fun challenge for me to tackle next though, maybe I'll actually use some of these salamanders and tomes I've had laying around in the kennel for ages.

Edit:

Broken Cog posted:

I still think Witchdoctor is the strongest class I played back then, I posted a quick build I used to beat all the content at the time without even fusing any of the monsters

Totally agreed; back when I would sometimes grind for the King Dumpling while half watching a show or something, I'd just put all the dumplings on a witch doctor team and not even fuse them and still just plow through the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah as Prism says, at a certain point swapping classes becomes something you do constantly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just did some fusing and summoning and I have a PERFECT team of seven creatures!

...wait gently caress

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just replaced a creature, feeling kinda guilty

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Oh hey neat, I just got into this game last weekend, didn't realize it was still getting updates.

Are there any generically good utility spells I should look out for? I'm barely making use of my spell gem slots, or my artifact spell slots. My build doesn't feel like it's missing anything though, I'm cruising pretty comfortably through the mid-100s on RI5.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I'd really love an auto explore feature. Walking through the map at the highest speed still takes a lot of time and isn't very interesting to me. Am I missing something?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Edly posted:

Oh hey neat, I just got into this game last weekend, didn't realize it was still getting updates.

Are there any generically good utility spells I should look out for? I'm barely making use of my spell gem slots, or my artifact spell slots. My build doesn't feel like it's missing anything though, I'm cruising pretty comfortably through the mid-100s on RI5.

If anyone's curious, I ended up going with Archangel's Blessing in my artifact spell slots (aoe heal + random buff), then the same 3 utility spells in every gem slot, enchanted with generous:

• Requiem (aoe res)
  • Greater Dispel (aoe debuff removal)
  • Astral Dimension (aoe gem unseal)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I tried Animator as my first class, and it seems cool but maybe a bad choice for first class.

Is there a more "standard" option good for a new player?

I came into the game on the recommendation that it was a lot like Dragon Warrior Monsters, which I played the poo poo out of on the GBC, but it seems a lot more like Shin Megami Tensei, which I've played very little of.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Annath posted:

I tried Animator as my first class, and it seems cool but maybe a bad choice for first class.

I came into the game on the recommendation that it was a lot like Dragon Warrior Monsters, which I played the poo poo out of on the GBC, but it seems a lot more like Shin Megami Tensei, which I've played very little of.

From a brief look at the starter classes, you picked the only one that focuses on one creature to the exclusion of the others, so any of the others might be your jam.... BUT you can easily unlock and swap to other classes as you keep playing, so it might be a good idea to stick with it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Loddfafnir posted:

I'd really love an auto explore feature. Walking through the map at the highest speed still takes a lot of time and isn't very interesting to me. Am I missing something?

There's the 'auto-grab stuff' feature, but no, no auto-explore. I recommend not trying to completely clear every map - just focus on the quest that lets you out, grab stuff along the way, and keep going.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love Affliction and Major Resurrection for utility spells. Give them the generous enchantment and even your dumbest monsters have a useful spell to cast.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Affliction is great, although I'm playing Defiler so I've already got debuffs covered by way of traits. Here's my build since it's feeling basically finished and I'm pretty proud of it: Siralim planner. It's not an optimal 0-turn uber build, but it's pretty fast for where I'm at; easy packs die in 1-3 turns, and there's enough scaling and resilience to clear the harder packs reliably. And it's fun to watch every single debuff in the game get applied to the whole enemy team.

I guess all I have to work on now is leveling up relics, grinding floors to unlock more mechanics, or maybe trying to build a new class.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

goddamn, this story boss fight against a unicorn and their team of infinite barrier and healing is kicking my rear end. hmm. I need both more levels and more barrier-popping things.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Another good utility imo is Arbitration. AOE buff removal like Greater Dispel, but in exchange for not clearing debuffs, it gives your creatures all the buffs it wipes from the enemies.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Annath posted:

Cleric and Hell Knight are both very strong and straightforward, so is Sorcerer if you want to play more with gems.

StrixNebulosa posted:

goddamn, this story boss fight against a unicorn and their team of infinite barrier and healing is kicking my rear end. hmm. I need both more levels and more barrier-popping things.

In addition to Greater Dispel and Arbitration for mass buff removal, the Nature spell Windcutter ignores shell and barrier--great for pesky Life teams. Sources of blight like Defile are also handy to deal with the healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Agree on Hell Knight if you just want to punch stuff. I find Necromancer very easy, you just pile on minions.