Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Captain Lavender posted:

My only first place was in Team Battle and I didn't get the paint job.
I think you can only unlock the race win paint job in the standard 99 mode. I picked up my first Fire Stingray win in a GP and also got nothing for it.

edit: not sure about the pro races though

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The one thing missing from the practice tracks is 98 other dipshits bumping into you and loving up your perfect turns.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Breadallelogram posted:

The one thing missing from the practice tracks is 98 other dipshits bumping into you and loving up your perfect turns.

I was thinking today, I wish you could add explosive bumpers to practice. At like, maximum gently caress-you frequency.

shyduck posted:

I think you can only unlock the race win paint job in the standard 99 mode. I picked up my first Fire Stingray win in a GP and also got nothing for it.

edit: not sure about the pro races though

Yeah, I gather that too. I think all the items that say F-Zero 99 have to be that mode. I originally thought that was just referring to the game as a whole

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Missed winning a GP by 2 points :negative:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Captain Lavender posted:

I was thinking today, I wish you could add explosive bumpers to practice. At like, maximum gently caress-you frequency.

After a couple of Grand Prix where I've been in the top 10 (waffling between front and middle), I've wondered about the gently caress-you frequency. When I'm in the middle or back of the pack, the red bumpers seem to be pretty sporadic. When I'm at or near the front, the game seems to drop waves of 'em in the way, almost like a counterweight to not having the rest of the train making trouble.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
That’s precisely how it works, when you’re in front you can see them spawning a short distance ahead. You don’t see as many in the middle or rear because they don’t usually make it back that far, they get blown up before then. It’s kinda like the games’ version of blue shells or lightning bolts, the front runners get hit the hardest

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I love being in the top 10ish because it’s just red bumper explosions everywhere.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

won my first gp despite a best finish of only 3rd and having a real awful race at death wind where i finished 13th (i am a goose driver and goose is just so much worse at death wind than fox or stingray)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Space Fish posted:

After a couple of Grand Prix where I've been in the top 10 (waffling between front and middle), I've wondered about the gently caress-you frequency. When I'm in the middle or back of the pack, the red bumpers seem to be pretty sporadic. When I'm at or near the front, the game seems to drop waves of 'em in the way, almost like a counterweight to not having the rest of the train making trouble.

Reading this earlier I laughed, then as I hit three exploding pink cars in the final nasty turn on Silence to drop from 1st to 4th and kill my chances of winning my first GP I realized you were right and it is a conspiracy against us.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

super fart shooter posted:

That’s precisely how it works, when you’re in front you can see them spawning a short distance ahead. You don’t see as many in the middle or rear because they don’t usually make it back that far, they get blown up before then. It’s kinda like the games’ version of blue shells or lightning bolts, the front runners get hit the hardest

It feels like they're set to self destruct as they fall behind 10th or so.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’ve really soured on team battles. I’ve won maybe 3 of the 15ish I’ve played. It’s really starting to bring me down. I just want some paint jobs and this game is denying me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

won my first gp despite a best finish of only 3rd and having a real awful race at death wind where i finished 13th (i am a goose driver and goose is just so much worse at death wind than fox or stingray)
The Death Wind GP race imo is the toughest by far because half the field gets knocked out and everybody's basically on the same exact strategy. If you're in the back half of the field coming to the start, it can get awfully hard to claw out of it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
GPs are definitely a crap shoot in some respects. Consistent placement in the top 10 with a couple of top 5s can be good enough for a podium spot, even GP leaders get too risky and crash out sometimes. Just today I saw someone crash out on Silence when all they had to do was finish the race to win the GP. I've also blown it on Sand Ocean multiple times while being the leader :negative:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just did a GP where the same person driving Golden Fox won all 5 races and It feels suspect

There were a couple of races where they just sailed away from the start and nobody could catch them

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 24, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I almost always cross the starting line first in golden fox, but that seems to have no effect on winning

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Whenever I get an early lead with Golden Fox I always end up squandering it, falling back to the middle of the pack, and end up finishing in the mid 30s or so. If I start relatively in the middle I get a super boost and can climb up to the top 10 by the end of the race.

Golden Fox is the best car in the game though, zero doubt in my mind. A really good GF is unbeatable.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

shyduck posted:

Just did a GP where the same person driving Golden Fox won all 5 races and It feels suspect

There were a couple of races where they just sailed away from the start and nobody could catch them

Having started trying the other cars, I've noticed that Golden Foxes basically always take the lead at the start. That high acceleration lets it get to the boost panels before everyone else, and after that there isn't really an opportunity for the other cars to catch up until the first lap's well underway.

The Golden Fox can afford to spend pretty much its entire health bar each lap on boosting since it gets such a big refill from the repair area, so it can be a real speed demon as long as it doesn't hit anything and no one hits it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Youremother posted:

Whenever I get an early lead with Golden Fox I always end up squandering it, falling back to the middle of the pack, and end up finishing in the mid 30s or so. If I start relatively in the middle I get a super boost and can climb up to the top 10 by the end of the race.

Golden Fox is the best car in the game though, zero doubt in my mind. A really good GF is unbeatable.

ehhh, watching the best players on twitch, i think stingray and fox are equal in the hands of good players aside from death wind where fox is indisputably the best car and silence where stingray definitely seems better.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

For all the talk about the Blue Falcon being the worst vehicle in the game, I do find that I place the most consistently well with it in the Grand Prix. Could be confirmation bias granted, but I do find decent all-around stats just lets me race by ear for each race having a decent supply of boost and recovery with good enough speed and acceleration that you're not entirely screwed if you're not constantly boosting like the Golden Fox.

Anyway, I have some random little tips or thoughts that I'm not sure are helpful, but every little thing counts so here goes:

-Boosting on the pit stop is generally a bad idea unless you're at full health and the pit stop is long enough to top you off. Otherwise, I've had to control myself and resist the urge to boost just because someone passed me with a boost.

-You can turn pretty wide by holding both L and R! Is it useful? I dunno. I haven't found a good way to use it, but maybe someone more scientifically-minded can test where to best use it.

-I always try to get as close to full health for the final lap as I can. It's pretty obvious for the Golden Fox, but even for the Wild Goose or Fire Stingray I will simply not use boost for certain laps. I find it catches a lot of people by surprise. On a similar note, getting KOs is a pretty big deal in a Grand Prix since your HP gains will carry over throughout all the races, to the point that it might be worth dropping several places in the beginning to go out of your way to KO a smoking bumper.

-Although saving the Skyway for a section where you skip turns is generally a good idea, I feel like I've lost a lot of races holding on to it as the Blue Falcon. The Wild Goose and the Fire Stingray should only be boosting once per lap, so they have the luxury to hold on to it without losing much, but for the other two time holding on to it is time not using boost. I feel like I've lost a lot of races because I held on to it too long and finished with my HP still in the green or yellow. I'd assume the Golden Fox wants to use it ASAP or close to it to keep using its boost on most courses, and the Blue Falcon is making the hardest decisions of all the machines.

Spinning isn't just for attacking people, but also for standing your ground. Especially in death wind, I generally save it for when I'm about to get on a booster so that no one else can knock me around. It's also good to use in tight or slippery turns with large crowds near me.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, i've been watching a lot of my usual streamer crowd play this game pretty well, then I came across this person who is like Rank S19 and wins almost every single race dominantly. It's like watching a bot play.

https://twitch.tv/xlunaiiire

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Man, i've been watching a lot of my usual streamer crowd play this game pretty well, then I came across this person who is like Rank S19 and wins almost every single race dominantly. It's like watching a bot play.

https://twitch.tv/xlunaiiire
That's literally the person I was talking about above who swept an entire GP. I could only watch from a distance and that was insane enough

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They are essentially putting out almost 100% perfect play. Using the best possible strats, taking all the turns the best, using every possible boost, doing crazy jump strats on some maps. I've also seen them bait the 2nd place person into using their last boost to slide into the lead right before the energy recovery zone then immediately boosting into them and assassinating them like 3 or 4 times in the last half hour or so.

Edit: lol, they won a gp with a 10 second finish over 2nd on Silence. I'm not convinced this a person playing

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 25, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Edit: lol, they won a gp with a 10 second finish over 2nd on Silence. I'm not convinced this a person playing
Yeah I just saw that too, there was a bigger gap between 1st-2nd than 2nd-last car running

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Guess I need to... try out the golden fox.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

and if you want good players in other vehicles, obiyo and zewing are both extremely top-tier stingray players

i have not found any super good goose or falcon streamers and tbh i think the skill ceiling on both is just flat-out lower than fox and stingray

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

and if you want good players in other vehicles, obiyo and zewing are both extremely top-tier stingray players

i have not found any super good goose or falcon streamers and tbh i think the skill ceiling on both is just flat-out lower than fox and stingray
there are a few S10+ wild goose players

the skill ceiling for wild goose is a lot different than the other two because it revolves around playing perfectly in the 10-15ish range, super boost timing and then full boosting the final lap.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

xlunaire is so good, i'm not entirely convinced they are human. i think they could smoke pretty much anyone in any vehicle, and have chosen to do it in Golden Fox, so i'm not looking too hard into GF's viability based on what xlunaire does with it.

that said, i've yet to find something that works better for me than Wild Goose. I like to hang back in the 20s or teens the entire race, saving boosts for the last lap. if I use my boosts well, maintain good lines through the turns and avoid pink bumpers, i'm usually finishing top 5-ish. I usually get too greedy on Golden Fox and crash out, or I have a middling start and get locked into the main pack of racers, which GF can't get out of.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The only other car I've had any consistent success with outside of Wild Goose is Blue Falcon. I know it's considered to generally be the weakest car because it doesn't really have a specific strong suit or two but I seem to get along with it pretty well in this format. I've racked up a few wins with it and a 2nd in the Knight GP.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shyduck posted:

The only other car I've had any consistent success with outside of Wild Goose is Blue Falcon. I know it's considered to generally be the weakest car because it doesn't really have a specific strong suit or two but I seem to get along with it pretty well in this format. I've racked up a few wins with it and a 2nd in the Knight GP.

It handles extremely well and doesn't get pushed around as much as the Wild Goose. If you are in a GP and less risk averse the Falcon really isn't a bad option because you will probably be boosting less anyway and taking advantage of the Goose's best stat, that you can really take that power gauge down and refill it every lap.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

BF is the noob car. This is a good thing, because you should be using it to figure out which parts of the races you are strongest at/enjoy the most and pick the car that lets you focus on that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Trying to figure out why Mute City always wins. It's the plainest track, and is the hardest to win, because everyone's played it a million times.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Welp just got out into a mini prix with xluniare who is playing wild goose, so I'm about to put my hypothesis to the test

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Captain Lavender posted:

Trying to figure out why Mute City always wins. It's the plainest track, and is the hardest to win, because everyone's played it a million times.

That's exactly why, it's a simple track that everybody's played a bunch so everybody feels reasonably confident driving it. Compare to Sand Ocean which never ever wins because it's so complicated and therefore nobody plays it

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Captain Lavender posted:

it may be hard to win, but it's easy to survive, so all the people who're consistently in 50th-99th place prefer it over the harder tracks they probably won't make it to the end of

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I hate it though.

EDIT:
:negative:
1st Grand Prix, Mute City: in 2nd place coming around the final turn, I nicked a grey bumper, pinballing me into 2 red bumpers and died.
2nd Grand Prix, Mute City: 20th place, 3rd lap. Jumped the ramp, hit a red bumper mid-air, got knocked off the track,

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 27, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Lavender posted:

I've been experiencing Big Blue beating everything including Mute City since this weekend. Which I guess is good since I'm playing it better than other courses right now, but I need to practice Sand Ocean because I keep loving up near the top on the third lap!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I heard some talk about new tracks. Has there been any official word about that or is all info still based on people looking for not-yet-used assets in the code & the "coming soon" for Queen/King leagues?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hempuli posted:

I heard some talk about new tracks. Has there been any official word about that or is all info still based on people looking for not-yet-used assets in the code & the "coming soon" for Queen/King leagues?

I believe Nintendo of Japan posted new tracks at the end of this month, so probably Thursday?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm already itching for new tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SettingSun posted:

I'm already itching for new tracks.

Queen Cup was my favorite cup so I'll be blowing even more time on this game if those drop this week.