Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alkydere posted:

makes me wonder if Amazon's trying to stifle some union militancy.

The union is working!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just got survey today asking what drivers would be open to being trained to work in our stores or production center. Because you know that's not at all going to end up with people being sent to stores across town or being slowly phased out of being drivers. Despite my managers insistence, they are not getting rid of any transportation.

Edit: I'm thinking my manager might be getting hit up by various drivers because he was kind of short tempered today when I kept asking him about our hours, and he snapped that lots of drivers are just having their hours cut and told to go home as opposed to sitting and just riding out the time clock which is what we're doing. I get the feeling he isn't told much by his supervisors so he really doesn't know, on the other hand, he might be totally in the know and just isn't allowed to say anything to us. It would just be so much easier if corporate was transparent or at least wasn't about blowing money and stupid ways when we could be saving jobs. But hey that's corporate.

Did you get the same bullshit 3% raise we did?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just got survey today asking what drivers would be open to being trained to work in our stores or production center. Because you know that's not at all going to end up with people being sent to stores across town or being slowly phased out of being drivers. Despite my managers insistence, they are not getting rid of any transportation.

Edit: I'm thinking my manager might be getting hit up by various drivers because he was kind of short tempered today when I kept asking him about our hours, and he snapped that lots of drivers are just having their hours cut and told to go home as opposed to sitting and just riding out the time clock which is what we're doing. I get the feeling he isn't told much by his supervisors so he really doesn't know, on the other hand, he might be totally in the know and just isn't allowed to say anything to us. It would just be so much easier if corporate was transparent or at least wasn't about blowing money and stupid ways when we could be saving jobs. But hey that's corporate.
It's possible he doesn't know anything. We had a sister store close permanently a few years ago and the store manager found out on the day, same as everyone else.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Did you get the same bullshit 3% raise we did?

That's be generous. Ours was under that.

At this point, I'm curious as to the end game. If we say we're open to being cross trained in the center's and stores, are they going to mark us to be transferred immediately, or they're going to try and force the people who don't want to work in those locations there so they quit which means you'll have less hours to pay regardless.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

DM visit today and he told me I'm a lock for the first AM opening in the district after March 1st (when I've hit 6 months in my current position as a supervisor).

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
In writing?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It don't mean a thing unless it's written down. Otherwise it's just managerial noises.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Even if written down, is anyone willing to believe that some layer of management couldn’t use some hand wavy bullshit to not promote Kilonum to that position?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
AM is the worst job in the world. It's basically hazing. You get worked to death on a low, low salary, such that you'll almost certainly be taking a pay cut on a per-hour basis. Being the padding between the SM and the serfs is extremely hazardous to your mental health. Do not recommend.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

One of the first things I came to understand when I started working in retail 10 years ago was that I should take annoying problems to the store director or salaried middle managers because, unlike department managers, they're not busy with anything useful.

That's what you mean by AM, right? Salaried middle manager?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Assistant manager is the guy below the store manager, the lowest management position

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Eric the Mauve posted:

AM is the worst job in the world. It's basically hazing. You get worked to death on a low, low salary, such that you'll almost certainly be taking a pay cut on a per-hour basis. Being the padding between the SM and the serfs is extremely hazardous to your mental health. Do not recommend.

Seconded. All the grief and none of the perks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

cephalopods posted:

One of the first things I came to understand when I started working in retail 10 years ago was that I should take annoying problems to the store director or salaried middle managers because, unlike department managers, they're not busy with anything useful.

I learned I should take annoying problems to any manager because then it's no longer my problem and is now management's problem, and I can go back to doing my job while they argue with someone who has a stern and earnest belief that just because the assembly instructions do not explicitly state that an object cannot fly, it's a travesty that it fell apart when they tried.

Also because gently caress management.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alternatively, become good at the one job that has you hiding in the corner away from the drama and then over time become the only person who knows that job so management quietly diverts all drama away from you letting you just show up and work your hours.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Alternatively, become good at the one job that has you hiding in the corner away from the drama and then over time become the only person who knows that job so management quietly diverts all drama away from you letting you just show up and work your hours.

This is The Way.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
My day shift counterpart is finally back from leave! Just in time for the higher ups in the network to complain that ISS wasn't meeting its metrics (across multiple buildings actually) so now here's some mandatory online training for all ISS reps to refresh on. Please ignore the fact that all these failed SLAs (for my building at least) are from staffing issues and not 'lack of standard work'.

I have been referring to the central ISS wiki for standards that is actually actively being updated this entire time, but fine. I'll do the training curriculum because that's basically half a shift where I can take it easy for once in the past two months. Naturally, the provided online training is severely out of date and links to tools that do not exist anymore. Some processes are referenced that ISS no longer even performs.

All of the 'strategy' type trainings that would be helpful for managing a high workload are designed around robotics sortable buildings (small items stored in mobile pods - the kind Alkydere works at) and are next-to worthless for managing ISS in my building (traditional non-sortable - larger items in static bins). Well, aside from the blindingly obvious pointers such as, "triage the workload by SLA ranges."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I want your job but that is nowhere listed on any Amazon career site. "Hiding Away Rep Who Does Not gently caress poo poo Up"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want your job but that is nowhere listed on any Amazon career site. "Hiding Away Rep Who Does Not gently caress poo poo Up"

I had to work my way through the abuse just like everyone else (I cannot bitch hard enough about being an AFE packer for 1.5 years: 10 hour shifts of nothing but squats and lunges). If you survive long enough and make "friends" with management you can get a problem solve/indirect job and the amount of bullshit you deal with drops exponentially. Yuwe can likely confirm: There's still bullshit of course but it's so minor compared to what you have to do with being in a direct path, or you have actually find levers to reduce the bullshit.

I've wedged my fat goon rear end into this slot and everyone else who knows how to do this job/has permissions either sucks or is good but they did it so long ago management has forgotten and they keep their mouth shut because they hate it. I've also done this job long enough that many people in several departments think that their department projects are SOP and not things I suggested 2-3 years ago. The people who I offered up my ideas for them to steal just to solve headache X or Y are long gone and everything runs disgustingly smoothly now.

I'm trying to get promoted to "Motorized Pallet Jack Rep Who Does Not gently caress poo poo Up" A.K.A. "Non Inventory" that has more work and a lot more physical exercise but basically I just supply the outbound departments with packing materials. Mainly because that puts me on a new step plan to earn an extra $2-3/hour. I'm maxed out where I'm at.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 23, 2023

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

You only get Alkydere's type of job by coming in as a tier 1 warehouse worker, someone noticing you are actually pretty good with getting the amazon computers to do things and don't gently caress off on the clock, and then get assigned to a particular role (not even an actual job listing, just one of the things a tier 1 can be assigned to do) forever that no one else has the inclination or skill to learn.

My job is one that would be a separate job posting (ISS rep is tier 3) but likely only ever available to internal promotes as it requires having problem solving experience and tool access in the inbound department.

Basically confirming what Alkydere said here. You have to prove to some manager that you can be trusted and have ability to remove headaches from everyone else consistently.

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 23, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Smile, don't let management know the true depths you despise them, offer free candy (not even joking: hard and/or sour candies will make you popular), and generally make sure you're solving more problems than you cause. Maybe wear the Ambassador vest for a bit and train new hires for a bit. Eventually a manager will notice you and offer to "take you out of path" and give you an "indirect" job where your job is basically chill out and unfuck poo poo. You no longer have to deal with a rate and basically 95% of the time you show up and halfass poo poo. The other 5% something explodes in a new and creative way and its your job to hold back the tears until you can unfuck it.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
I guess I'm sort of an unusual case in that I got put on problem solve very quickly and got to skip being an ambassador entirely. I'm not even sure my first manager even liked me (or anyone actually) all that much.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Almost everything I see local for Amazon is fulfillment warehouse and seasonal. How hard is it to survive and get to normal employment?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Used to be they'd fire white badge seasonals right after the holidays (hence the name) but after COVID it became at my warehouse that seasonals are just baby workers and there's at least one blue-badge opportunity nearly every month. Mainly it means you get less benefits/time off and $0.50/hr less these days. Usually the process takes about 3 months so if you get hired now you probably won't be a blue badge associate until 2024. If you can stand working night shift, do that for the best job security: Amazon can never get enough people at nights and you get an additional shift differential on your wages.

You will be full time though if you want. Amazon absolutely does not gently caress you over on hours. You have a fixed schedule and the only control your direct manager has is if they approve any vacation usage faster than the system's 24 hour auto-accept.

Anyways, if you can deal with repetitive, physical activities and know how to hydrate you'll probably be fine. Some advice:
-Watch your unpaid time (UPT). Go negative and you're at risk for being fired. Will be easier come the 1st when you earn 5 minutes/hour instead of 3, so a 10 hour shift is nearly a full hour of time off.
-If you're tired/sore/etc. feel free to leave an hour or two early if you have time. Rest and recover before you hurt yourself.
-If you're leaving early you don't have to tell anyone stories about relatives in the hospital: Management only really cares about having a heads up so they can plan and if you have enough time to cover your own time off.
-Dress for an entire shift of being active. No one cares how ugly you look in baggy athletics clothes as long as it's not baggy enough to get caught in machinery.
-Operations (PAs, AMs, OMs) have a job of getting you to go fast. Honestly figure out what other people are doing and you just have to be in the top half. If they tell you to do 100 units/hour, but you're only doing 75-80 while others are doing 40-50 then you're not the problem no matter how much they bitch. Doubly so if your quality is high (i.e. you're not making a lot of fuckups for others to clean up)

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 23, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
To be fair, that’s every retail job: just keep your head down and gently caress up less than everyone else.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Merchandiser Supervisor: "No overtime is allowed, period. Text me your hours if you're getting close so we can adjust."

Also Merchandiser Supervisor: "It's Saturday/Sunday so someone called in, do these stores extra and overtime is fine."

I've worked every single Saturday and Sunday since April besides two weekends and those were because I requested them off. Sure would be nice if I could have a 3-4 good day sometimes, or even the day off.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

In our company we have 4 level of manager actually in store, Assistant Manager, Store Manager I, Store Manager II, Senior Store Manager. Only SSMs are salary. And it turns out it might be sooner.

And in this case.... We have locations in the two state-run convention centers in the city. Right now the smaller CC's location is temporarily closed due to staffing while the big CC location (inside the MUCH LARGER CC) does all of the work supporting the hotel locations. The way the org structure works when fully staffed, the two CC locations operate as one unit, with the SM at the big CC and the AM running the smaller CC and staff (including managers) shifting between the two depending on level of business and what conventions/conferences are on site. To start I will be at the smaller CC supporting the 3 nearby hotels with one other coworker in my current supervisory role, with the store itself remaining closed to the public until further staff are hired. The DM knows I will not take a promotion that would make me salary.

cephalopods posted:

Middle manager paid hourly, essentially.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wait so they're... giving you more responsibility, but also paying you better and giving you more permissions? They're not just giving you a "manager" position so they can squeeze you for more work without paying you more, and then blame you if things go badly?

Truly revolutionary business culture.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Three different people in one store with a Store Manager title?? :dafuq:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Three different people in one store with a Store Manager title?? :dafuq:

Nah, only one of the SM titles will be in a store, which one you are depends on your store level (SM1 is level 1, SM2 is level 2, SSM is level 3 and Flagship). Of level 1 & 2 stores, only Hotel locations get an AM.

Also our dress code is stricter for hotels and convention centers, no jeans allowed (only black slacks), uniform shirts must be tucked in. Managers are allowed business casual in standalone but have to wear dress shoes and a button up shirt (for men) at hotels. Women are allowed a little more latitude. I've gotten away with heels and a skirt at the hotels.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
20 years ago when I started working in retail the uniform at pretty much every Australian retailer was basically business attire. I wore dress pants, dress shoes, white shirt and company tie. In winter if you wanted to be warmer you wore a suit; or at least a business appropriate sweater vest. Supervisors on the front end wore green waistcoats so they’d stand out. Ladies wore scarves like air hostesses. Everything was expected to be nicely ironed, shoes polished, neatly groomed with rules on hairstyle and colour. Certainly no tats visible.

Now it’s just jeans or chinos and a polo and nobody gives a gently caress about your hairstyle or your tats. The latter is an improvement but I’d go back to wearing a tie if I could.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We used to have a uniform (blue polo and black pants) but they changed it shortly before the pandemic to whatever you want as long as it's not shorts and graphic tees.
It's so nice wearing jeans.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I actually hate wearing jeans (the pockets are so bad wtf) so I'm not bothered that our dress code still requires black pants or khakis. We used to have to wear polos but now the company gives us a new t-shirt every few months

The only problem is that we're still technically supposed to wear our name badges even though we don't use them to clock in anymore, but you can't really clip a nametag to a shirt without a collar. The revised dress code specifically calls out fresh departments and says we're not allowed to use lanyards. No reason given, naturally.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Lanyards are a choking hazard if they get caught in equipment, plus nobody wants that dangling in their food. Most places I’ve worked also say no big dangly earrings (studs and bars are fine) and if you wear any kind of necklace it’s gotta be tight fitting or under your shirt while you work.

e: my current job specifically gives out those little retractable holders you can clip to your shirt/belt for this exact reason

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 25, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When we had the option to use a lanyard I think I had it on for 2 days before getting annoyed with it and going back to my badge.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Time to navigate the waters of actively transitioning in a retail environment with regulars who are entirely too much up in my business already as it is (no lady, I don't want a ride to work. You buying smokes from me every day does not mean I know or trust you). Thank goodness management is good and on my side, if a touch confused. But hoo boy, the clientele is predominantly elderly, and predominantly all hopped up on Jesus. Should be fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As someone who is told on a weekly basis a customer is going to report me to head office for wearing the wrong name badge, godspeed. Fortunately for me our store manager (who was pushed up from first assistant against her wishes) recently quit to the surprise of absolutely no-one and we're getting our old gay store manager back who's been trying to get back into our store for a full year at this point. I remember a few years back actually thinking he was going to physically attack a customer trying to start poo poo with me, though in the end he just frog marched them out the door and locked it after chucking them out.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

njsykora posted:

we're getting our old gay store manager back who's been trying to get back into our store for a full year at this point.

Oh poo poo, you actually work at the gay store?!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'm responsible for the increased gay sales in the last few years. My best decision was signing Lil Nas X to the gay roster, he's done a lot of good marketing work for us. Still got to work on the trans side of things, Laverne Fox was a disappointment but high hopes for how things are trending after we brought in Kim Petras.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think my favorite bigot customer is the one who just laid into me about how everything is too woke now because he couldn't find any birthday cards that specifically addressed a wife and how apparently you can't even say wife or husband anymore. "That section is handled by a separate vendor, and we've been having trouble getting them to come out and restock, so we may be low on a few things" was just completely ignored, as he complained about the kids these days, unknowingly, to a gay trans man who is almost 40.

Once I finally grey rocked my way through that interaction, I scooted over to the card section. Shuffled down to the For Her part of said section.

And immediately found three different birthday cards specifying they were for someone's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The thing I always try to remember about those kinds of people is that they're not actually looking for something, they just want to complain at someone and retail workers are a nice captive audience for whatever conspiracy they read about on Facebook that morning.