Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I see a lot of people say 'oh the Twelve are gonna die/leave this world', but I honestly haven't seen any evidence of it until this latest trailer having a line that kinda-sorta implies it.

Honestly, I haven't had much interest in the Twelve raids as a whole, because while I have realized recently that I almost always prefer side content to their respective MSQ (mostly I just think the game's much better at telling those smaller and more focused stories), the exception is the Twelve raids, because... well they're just not very good. The gameplay is pretty limp, and the story's barely a story and more just an excuse to spout lore. Like I've said, it feels like an excuse plot for cool boss fights with big in-game figures not unlike Omega, but the fights don't hold up, and as a result the excuse plot doesn't have much weight.

Reoxygenation posted:

holy poo poo thank you an actual date / image source, this is actually a blessing, i am now off to make a thread on the official forums every week (i will get banned on week 2)

Oh don't worry, you won't get banned. I've only ever seen one guy get banned, and it was for slinging slurs at a developer in a dev Q&A. He was slinging slurs at other people before then, he just got banned for directing them at a dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ojjeorago posted:

Final fight is going to be the Twleve combined Voltron style into a giant god mech vs 18 G-Warriors. Turns out this was the Xenogears raid series all along.

Turns out they're just Brute Justice.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cleretic posted:

I see a lot of people say 'oh the Twelve are gonna die/leave this world', but I honestly haven't seen any evidence of it until this latest trailer having a line that kinda-sorta implies it.

They'll make it seem like that's gonna happen but they'll actually just revert to their little animal forms and show up in the background during seasonal events

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

They'll make it seem like that's gonna happen but they'll actually just revert to their little animal forms and show up in the background during seasonal events

I'd say it's about 50/50 of this happening or them dying.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I appreciate the Myths of the Realm storyline because the central conflict isn't a... well, conflict. After 6.0, it's a nice, chill direction.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all are forgetting the whole reveal that there's a thirteenth

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And he's my friend The Watcher

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I look forward to fighting him

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I feel like myths of the realm spun its wheels a bit in the second segment but tbh I think that's a problem a lot of the raid series have so I'm not too worried about how much it'll impact the third tier.

like I don't think an alliance raid's second beat has been particularly interesting since uhhhh Nero getting swallowed by the void? possibly I'm being unfair since yorha sort of just rolled over me like a wave and I didn't really take it in

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yiazmat was very cool.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Watcher or not, I hope the final fight is like the end of Orbonne where all the previous bosses show up to do all their mechanics at once. Give me 8 things to try to dodge simultaneously

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

aw yeah, The Part of Orbonne Where I Always Die

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd rather an alliance raid be kinda light on story than

be Return to Ivalice

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish the bosses were more than just "a humanoid" every time. Like, they did great with the actual looks of the Twelve and all the fights are unique, but sometimes I want just a big weird boss mixed in more than just another "it's a dude!"

This is a just a minor, dumb complaint.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
My best guess earlier was that we were going to fight The Watcher who is the 13th god so that he can connect to mortals like the rest of them did and become a proper part of the pantheon but I can't even really remember if that's what the goal was or not.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Valentin posted:

I feel like myths of the realm spun its wheels a bit in the second segment but tbh I think that's a problem a lot of the raid series have so I'm not too worried about how much it'll impact the third tier.

like I don't think an alliance raid's second beat has been particularly interesting since uhhhh Nero getting swallowed by the void? possibly I'm being unfair since yorha sort of just rolled over me like a wave and I didn't really take it in

Yorha at least had the Dwarven village getting carpet bombed which if nothing else is at least memorable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Euphrosyne had Althyk and Nymeia share a boss fight, which was pretty clearly so there would be room for a final fight in the last raid that was not just one of the Twelve.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Veev posted:

My best guess earlier was that we were going to fight The Watcher who is the 13th god so that he can connect to mortals like the rest of them did and become a proper part of the pantheon but I can't even really remember if that's what the goal was or not.

The Watcher is almost certainly a red herring as the thirteenth member. It can be assumed he exists on every shard (the MSQ shows Golbez killing the Thirteenth's Watcher), whilst the twelve are specific to the Source.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Veev posted:

but I can't even really remember if that's what the goal was or not.

They haven't had one. We're two weeks away from the raid storyline finale and we don't even know what the point is.

There's something interesting in that discussion, where it's actually one of the only storylines where we're the most passive factor; it's not that we're picking a fight with the Twelve, it's that the Twelve are picking a fight with us. So the question of motivation or goal is on them far more than it usually is... which, to me, makes the response to that question being 'dead silence' even worse.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I dunno the goal seems pretty clear. "We need to test you via a series of combat to know if you're a certified badass or not."

Why the test is happening is tied into the mystery of the Twelve in general and the Thirteenth god specifically.

It's almost entirely textual, not even subtext. The Twelve are testing how good we are at fighting, presumably because there is something we need to fight for them.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Outside of the Twelve wanting to meet/challenge us there hasn't been a concrete goal established for Myths of the Realm, yet, and that's probably a big part of the problem for some people.

The first one is an initial delve into a location of myth and rumors, potentially attached to the Twelve. While there, we're goaded into a fight by a selection of them claiming they desire to rule the world now that Hydaelyn's gone. Afterwards we find out that they have no intention of causing problems and were really just testing us for some nebulous "hopes and aspirations" they are unable to tell us of, aside from that we'll have to discover it ourselves. Believing the central monument hides a secret of some kind, we leave off while others study it.

The second one we go back with a tool to record ambient aether, hoping to learn more of the realm itself, and potentially the Twelve as well, which will help uncover whatever the monument is hiding. We're offered a means to decipher the monument by Nophica, in exchange for fighting with another set of the Twelve since the first had so much fun. After settling our part of the bargain, we learn that the Marks of the Twelve aren't objects meant to inspire worship as thought, but instead storage devices holding information that's key to uncovering the origins of the Twelve. We gather this information and decode the monument, which reveals it's an anchor meant to tether the Twelve to their central ideals so the worship from man doesn't distort them too much. There is also a line about an unnamed thirteenth member who shall "watch unflinching." There's some speculation that boils down to the Twelve were established by Hydaelyn to be a stabilizing force after the Sundering, and the Watcher on the moon may have more information for us. Before we confront him, though, we take a break for our science crew to compile all of the information we've gathered and our fighting/adventuring crew to rest up for more fighting against the remaining devines.

So, there's definitely something going on that the Twelve needs us to do beyond challenging us for the fun of it, but they're unable to just tell us what it is. Kind of like Sharlayan's Forum regarding the escape mission, but at least the Twelve are actively helping us figure out what's going on, as much as they're able to. I imagine there's going to be more buildup in the quests before we actually get to the raid for this final installment than previously, while we get a more solid understanding of what's going on.

Whether we address whatever the Twelve needs us to do as the final fight of the raid or after everything's finished I'm less sure of. I could see it going either way, depending on what's happening. If it's something they need us to destroy, I could see the final three members of the Twelve serving as a final test to ensure we're strong enough to complete the task while the fourth boss is whatever we're going up against. If it's a more long-term thing like whether mankind is able to sustain ourselves and we no longer need the stabilizing force of the Twelve, then the Watcher's (either the one on the moon or a hidden one we're unaware of) our fourth fight and the Twelve move on. I'd personally prefer the first, as much as I kinda wanna see what the Watcher would fight as, just because I find the Twelve really charming and would like to keep the potential for them to pop up again.

Finally, I wanted to mention something that wasn't really commented on here from the PLL. The Myths of the Realm has been largely put together by the devs and writers new to the team. It could be better, but I think it's been a pretty solid show for them so far. YoshiP also mentioned he's asked them to push it a little more this time, so I wouldn't expect this final raid to be as much of a pushover as the last two. We'll see if that pans out, though I'm hopeful at least.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 25, 2023

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Reoxygenation posted:

Can we... eventually get past CC rewards in the shop, it feels like god drat garbage that I missed out on all the cool minions and mounts because I didn't want to keep a sub running (or to play). Seasonal titles and frames sure whatever, but man does it feel garbage to have missed out on all the cool stuff because I didn't want to play for like the past year.

I thought we were over that garbage after Feast rewards...

(and I am talking about someone who has done a lot of PVP, like has titles on the rarer side of things, I'm not willing to not commit, but seasonal stuff does not feel good as rewards)

if you wanted them you would have been playing lol

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
My read on the "conflict" at the heart of the story is that the Twelve were originally an entirely automatic creation similar to the Watcher on the moon, but ended up falling rear end-backwards into the religion thing once they found out Eorzeans were worshiping them as gods. They were not designed for this purpose and did not know how to deal with it. The reason the Watcher is still the Watcher is because nobody was ever there to perceive them, thus their true form remains unaltered from its original intention. The Twelve, on the other hand, have been perceived, so much and so often, that they can no longer control themselves.

Given the state of the world with regards to aetherology developing to the point where it is beginning to match its pre-Sundering knowledge, in addition to the true circumstances regarding the Sundering becoming better known, the Twelve correctly ascertain that knowledge about their true forms will become commonplace, and thus they will be perceived back into their original Watcher-like forms. The Twelve, however, see this as a problem so long as faith in the religion formed around them still remains active. They are searching for a way to have the "scientific" truth about their nature come into existence, but without it destroying the culture of faith that people are still relying on. The pyschodrama at the heart of the story is if such a balance is even possible.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Valentin posted:

Yeah, I feel like the second AR in the series is just a speed bump you have to go over to get to the actual point/plot twist of the third AR.

AR1: poo poo is happening.
AR2: How is poo poo happening?
AR3: Here's the real reason poo poo happened.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

the_steve posted:

Yeah, I feel like the second AR in the series is just a speed bump you have to go over to get to the actual point/plot twist of the third AR.

AR1: poo poo is happening.
AR2: How is poo poo happening?
AR3: Here's the real reason poo poo happened.

The only one that really diverts from this is the Nier storyline, and is a big reason why that one's probably the strongest alliance raid storyline as far as 'actual story quality'; it actually does something with its second act. And why the Puppet's Bunker is the strongest of the 'middle' alliance raids.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I feel like the benevolent gods making themselves truly known for the first time and testing us but not giving us their full reasons or the why of it all in a raid series about Their place in this world and specifically Faith in them might be the point.

Tales of loss and fire and faith.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I still think there are actually 14 members and Deryk is the Azem stand in for crystal mom's remade convocation

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cleretic posted:

The only one that really diverts from this is the Nier storyline, and is a big reason why that one's probably the strongest alliance raid storyline as far as 'actual story quality'; it actually does something with its second act. And why the Puppet's Bunker is the strongest of the 'middle' alliance raids.

Yeah the Nier raid story is:

1) What is happening?
2) What is happening???!?
3) What the gently caress just happened

and I've read explanations of what happened

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Namnesor posted:

I appreciate the Myths of the Realm storyline because the central conflict isn't a... well, conflict. After 6.0, it's a nice, chill direction.
This is where I land on things so far. I'm okay with doing something other than having to save the world/universe every time. Maybe there is something threatening the world again and we just don't know it yet, but even if it's just a more lighthearted story where we just learn about the gods people in Eorzea worship then that's fine by me

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FuturePastNow posted:

1) What is happening?

I think the most reductionist explanation I can come up with, as someone who never played the Nier games, is that something from Nier's universe managed to end up in the First and assimilated with one of the dwarf twins from the storyline, and for whatever reason decided to launch an invasion.
2B and 9S were sent to stop said invasion and close the gateway.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FuturePastNow posted:

1) What is happening?

Meanwhile the Myths of the Realm has been:

1) Nothing is happening
2) Nothing is happening
3) I hope something happens

So far, there has been zero true conflict and no consequence to raid. I’ve just accepted that it is “not for me” because it seems quite a few people really love it. I’m glad at least someone does.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Meanwhile the Myths of the Realm has been:

1) Nothing is happening
2) Nothing is happening
3) I hope something happens

So far, there has been zero true conflict and no consequence to raid. I’ve just accepted that it is “not for me” because it seems quite a few people really love it. I’m glad at least someone does.

I appreciate that viewpoint because I know I really am loving it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FuturePastNow posted:

1) What is happening?

You can accurately gauge people's Yoko Taro exposure by how much they freak out when the Seed of Destruction shows up.

You *know* FF14 isn't going to have giant dwarf babies eating people, but you also know Yoko Taro has never let "that's a terrible idea" stop him.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 25, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I like the Myths of the Realm raid story, its fine that its low stakes and I'm interested to see where this is going.

Also the Nier raid story isn't about Nier at all, its about a bunch of wacky Yoko Taro poo poo that gets dropped onto an innocent dwarf village and how they have to grow and respond. I like it a lot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

1) What is happening?

I just want a scene where the WoL explains the Nier raid story to literally anyone that wasn't present for it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A robot lady with a fat rear end and he twink brother showed up and asked us to kill some poo poo that was going to gently caress up our daughter's backyard. In appreciation for our efforts, the robot lady left us her rear end after returning to Robot Planet.

The twink and his Metal Gear were pretty hard when new, as I recall.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just want a scene where the WoL explains the Nier raid story to literally anyone that wasn't present for it.

*mouth motions and hand pantomimes without any actual sound or word bubbles. Fade to black*

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You forgot the part where the camera pans up

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Also the Nier raid story isn't about Nier at all, its about a bunch of wacky Yoko Taro poo poo that gets dropped onto an innocent dwarf village and how they have to grow and respond. I like it a lot.

I was about to ask isn't the answer to how they grow and respond mostly that a lot of them die and the rest are sad but then I remembered there's a shaggy dog weekly series I never did that maybe contained the growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah. I can explain the story of the Nier raids from a worldbuilding perspective (the_steve, you got it broadly right, although the creepy sphere was actually a Drakengard thing that was only ever implied in Nier's story), but that part of the story is almost a decoy.

Something Yoko Taro's pretty good at is giving people something big and weord and occasionally sexy to hook them in, and then whipping right back around to tell a much simpler story about humans being humans once everyone's in the seats. And that holds through in the Nier raids: he basically used the alliance raids to tell a story that would otherwise be a tribe quest.