Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Those weird arm stripes look a lot better on the ice, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I love the despair of games like this. It's just preseason but it is comforting know that the Canucks future isn't bright either.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s nice to see Markstrom stop a puck.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I love the despair of games like this. It's just preseason but it is comforting know that the Canucks future isn't bright either.

are they icing anyone likely to make the team tonight?
That roster doesn't look like anything

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Nobody from the top 6 and none of the defence, however a bunch of the 'if they are going to not suck these guys are going to have to be pretty good' ie Hoglander, Podz, Suter. I guess if anyone from the farm team wasn't sure how far they are from the NHL, they are now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am ready for the Stars to look good before their old age catches up and they disintegrate when the playoffs begin

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Up to a week ago Silovs was going to be our backup and is the goaltender of the future. Podkolzin. Hoglander, Raty and Klimovich are their top young NHL ready forward prospects and all of them have been god awful. Calgary iced a far better lineup, but a bunch of guys fighting for some open spots really blew it tonight.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Who is this Coronato kid
did the flames really luck into another Gaudreau

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
He was a great player at Harvard but I dunno if he's really Gaudreau level, although Gaudreau was a historically good NCAA player so maybe that's not a fair comparison. I think Coronato is probably a quality 2nd line winger at the NHL level but who knows.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
why don't you just call a boy pussy an rear end that's what it is

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't think there's anything to read into Coronato's game tonight. The Canucks iced a vastly inferior lineup to the Flames and then didn't bother to show up. Silovs and Sawchenko got picked apart and the defence just let the Flames forwards fire at will. It was bad all round.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mennoknight posted:

I just call it what it is: a five hole

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Put that bussi on the cup

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mennoknight posted:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Preds are doomed for mediocrity of forwards for all time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Preds are doomed for mediocrity of forwards for all time.

Martin Erat is 4th all-time in Predators scoring. The franchise has existed for 25 years now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

The only internet I can get is Spectrum, but I opted for Direct TV stream as it comes with MSG for Sabres games. I'm paying like $100 a month less than what I was paying for spectrum internet + cable.

Oh poo poo, good call that is cheaper. Thanks for this!

Also both the Sabres and Bills won yesterday, in Washington DC. Good time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Only 87 more to go!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
guess the flames are winning the cup after all

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Looks like a playoff team to me!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Not to give undue credit to the Sabres but a lot of their season is gonna depend on what happens with Levi and a model like Dom’s can’t assume a big step forward for guys like that even if it seems likely. He’s gonna have his work cut out for him, of course.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It still nuts to me that the Sabres are putting so much on Levi here. He's a great prospect but drat they are going to ruin his self confidence if he's not instantly successful. Even if they really want to go with him, why not bring in a more capable backup than Eric Comrie? Were there really no vets willing to take a 2 x $2.5m deal to split time for the Sabres?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

guess the flames are winning the cup after all

surprising regular season followed by first round exit and drafting 23rd overall seems more comfortable to me

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Koopa Kid posted:

Not to give undue credit to the Sabres but a lot of their season is gonna depend on what happens with Levi and a model like Dom’s can’t assume a big step forward for guys like that even if it seems likely. He’s gonna have his work cut out for him, of course.

The bar is so low for him to keep people happy though. Goaltending has been absolutely atrocious for a decade and it’s not just the defensive system making them look bad. They were bad.

Fans can tell the difference between an unlucky goal and a save a goalie should routinely make. Levi already has passed this eye test.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

It still nuts to me that the Sabres are putting so much on Levi here. He's a great prospect but drat they are going to ruin his self confidence if he's not instantly successful. Even if they really want to go with him, why not bring in a more capable backup than Eric Comrie? Were there really no vets willing to take a 2 x $2.5m deal to split time for the Sabres?

Yeah agreed. It's super rare for a goalie his age to come in without spending much time in the AHL and be immediately effective, especially from the NCAA. The only recent example I can think of is Jeremy Swayman and he had the benefit of both playing for a very good defensive team in Boston and being behind Rask and Ullmark as he got eased in, and to be honest he's still not the starter yet. If I were Buffalo I'd be wary of rushing Levi, no matter how good a prospect he is. At the very least they should be trying to platoon him with a more veteran goalie.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1706347126089711964

:sickos:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That looks like a Peter Laviolette 4th line to me

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

The bar is so low for him to keep people happy though. Goaltending has been absolutely atrocious for a decade and it’s not just the defensive system making them look bad. They were bad.

Fans can tell the difference between an unlucky goal and a save a goalie should routinely make. Levi already has passed this eye test.

Oh absolutely, I’m as high on him as a non-fan can be. Just saying that statistical models based on historical performance are probably going to underrate the Sabres a bit this year as a result of Levi’s prominent position on the team and lack of playing history.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Shop.nhl.com has 30% off everything for the rest of the day.

:lol: I've been wanting a retro Mike Richter jersey for ages. They don't have him in my size, but they've got Glen Healy.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ThinkTank posted:

Only 87 more to go!

0-10.... bro....

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panthers veteran Anton Lundell just murdered a Predator and got 2 minutes, god drat hockey is back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

0-10.... bro....

Experience the thrill of Vancouver Canucks hockey.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ThinkTank posted:

Experience the thrill of Vancouver Canucks hockey.

*weeping, shaking* I've been a Canucks since I was a child

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Martin Erat is 4th all-time in Predators scoring. The franchise has existed for 25 years now.

the Rangers have been around since 1926. Chris Kreider is probably our 4th best developed forward that played primarily with the team.

Gilbert
Ratelle
Bathgate
Kreider
Hadfield
Tkaczuk

even counting guys who went elsewhere, you’d probably put…Amonte? Weight? above him?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It is completely insane that in a century only one player has put up 1000pts in a Rangers uniform. The San Jose Sharks who came into existence in 1991 have more!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

It is completely insane that in a century only one player has put up 1000pts in a Rangers uniform. The San Jose Sharks who came into existence in 1991 have more!

Mika Zibanejad is #15 at the moment. There's a decent chance he cracks tops 5 lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Mika Zibanejad is #15 at the moment. There's a decent chance he cracks tops 5 lol

In just 283 career games Quinn Hughes is already 6th overall in Canucks defensive scoring. It's entirely possible he's top three by the end of the year. He's 2-2.5 seasons away from #1.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Leafs have 0.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Weak. Even the Quebec Nordiques have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Makes sense to me. It's hard to score 1000 points, less than 100 guys have scored that many and lots didn't stick in one place long enough to do it all with one franchise. I wonder who has the most. I think it might actually be Boston (Bourque, Bucyk, Esposito, and Bergeron joined last season. Marchand is getting close too) but I'm not gonna go look it up. I'd imagine most of the O6 teams have 3-4, well except the Rangers and Leafs.