Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

worth the added complexity and weight?

xzzy posted:

size matters though..

American McGay posted:

I don't think any amount of post processing will make up for 3 inches

That’s what she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Duckman2008 posted:

That’s what she said.

:emptyquote:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think someone mentioned phones replacing point-and-shoot cameras which I assume happened years ago for everyone but non-smartphone-users.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

smackfu posted:

https://mas.to/@snazzyq/111118183533241778

This is clever, you can have different actions for the button landscape vs portrait mode.

I love how if I search the App Store for "actions" the app called Actions is three screens down, underneath Tiktok, and a whole bunch of predatory games.

edit: I just realised that I can't use this trick for Orientation lock, since I don't ever want to lock it on landscape mode. wups

VVV weird, it tooks me ages to find

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 25, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

~Coxy posted:

I love how if I search the App Store for "actions" the app called Actions is three screens down, underneath Tiktok, and a whole bunch of predatory games.

:confused:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

man nurse posted:

Alright, it’s sounding like maybe the base 15 is the way to go for me. Now I have to figure out if I want the Plus or not. More battery life is nice, but I also like a smaller phone. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

My 14 pro is already down to 90% of its original battery life, and i know someone else already down to 87%. I kinda regret not getting the max because the battery doesn’t last the day anymore, although it’s not so bad i can get a new one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mister Facetious posted:

I think the real question is: how expensive does a dedicated point and shoot need to be before it outclasses a 15 Pro Max at pictures and video, and is worth the added complexity and weight?

I bought a Canon PowerShot for a few hundred bucks for a holiday in 2019 and the photos are garbage.
If you're a dilettante who shoots on P with your entry level DSLR I can imagine that you're gonna get "nicer" photos from a new phone.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

dutchbstrd posted:

Anyone else having issues with 15 Pro not charging on a standard qi charger? Other devices work fine and my phone charges fine via usb c but nothing happens when I place it on the charge pad.

Any way to test if the qi coils or whatever are bad?

Turns out the phone has to be placed in a very specific position, at least compared to my old XS. Crisis averted

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

People seem to like the Peak Design cases but doesn't the fabric get grody like people are thinking the new Apple fabric ones will?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The iPhone camera is nice but I just laugh when people think it can compete with even a mirrorless, especially night and action shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

People seem to like the Peak Design cases but doesn't the fabric get grody like people are thinking the new Apple fabric ones will?

yes but it's not an overpriced apple product so it gets a pass. It's an overpriced peak design product!

Also they aren't magsafe compliant because they use a different magnet arrangement and if you buy the case with the finger loop the magnetic strength is significantly reduced.

But on the other hand the little socket they have to secure the phone to a mount of some kind is super badass.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dutchbstrd posted:

Turns out the phone has to be placed in a very specific position, at least compared to my old XS. Crisis averted

Time to upgrade to MagSafe

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

dutchbstrd posted:

Almost a decade and people still hold their phones wrong smdh

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

yes but it's not an overpriced apple product so it gets a pass. It's an overpriced peak design product!

Also they aren't magsafe compliant because they use a different magnet arrangement and if you buy the case with the finger loop the magnetic strength is significantly reduced.

But on the other hand the little socket they have to secure the phone to a mount of some kind is super badass.

I’ve had my case for a year-ish and it isn’t noticeably dirty - probably because it’s fabric and I can just wash it periodically.

As to MagSafe… I mean, I don’t know if it’s compliant, but I have the finger loop version and I have zero problems with it staying on a magnetic car mount, so if it’s reduced at all, it isn’t meaningful.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I like fabric cases and have looked at the Peak Design, but am not interested in the whole ecosystem of the mounts. I feel like that defeats the purpose a bit?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

I like fabric cases and have looked at the Peak Design, but am not interested in the whole ecosystem of the mounts. I feel like that defeats the purpose a bit?

Kind of, but it's got a good reason to exist. It's targeted at the action cam / hobbyist photographer crowd. Definitely not a feature everyone cares about.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

kri kri posted:

Time to upgrade to MagSafe

Do they make a MagSafe charger that doesn’t have the cable connected to it? I just want one with usb c slot I can plug a cable into. They don’t seem to exist though

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dutchbstrd posted:

Do they make a MagSafe charger that doesn’t have the cable connected to it? I just want one with usb c slot I can plug a cable into. They don’t seem to exist though

This one looks like it might fit the bill, a bit spendy though.

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Union-Magnetic-Wireless-Charger/dp/B0B2WQQDN2/

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I’ll just live with it. I want to upgrade all my charging to only usb c but my wife’s phone still uses lightning and so do our AirPods, so unless I upgrade everything, I’ll just have to wait

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope that when they update the Airpods Max to USB C they sell a replacement left speaker so I can just give them $150 or whatever instead of buying a whole new pair. The speakers come right off with a SIM card ejector or paperclip it be silly not to!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The Actions app is really cool. I wanted the Action button to toggle my Always on Display but apparently you cannot fetch the current status of the AoD so I have no idea what it switches to when I press it

https://github.com/sindresorhus/Actions/issues/130

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Mine didn't but I'm not going on hikes through swamps or anything with it?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Any trip reports from those who went XR to 15 Pro? Ordered mine finally and it’s not here until October 12th so I have to live vicariously through this thread.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

Any trip reports from those who went XR to 15 Pro? Ordered mine finally and it’s not here until October 12th so I have to live vicariously through this thread.
I went from 13 Pro to 15 Pro but my work phone is an XR.

Camera, screen, responsiveness, hand feel, everything is better. The form factor is smaller and lighter but the screen actually appears to be slightly bigger even though they’re both 6.1”

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

FYI I checked and the Product Improvement settings for me didn't flip back on but if you're worried about this type of stuff probably wouldn't hurt to check

https://twitter.com/mysk_co/status/1705665324035498016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

FYI I checked and the Product Improvement settings for me didn't flip back on but if you're worried about this type of stuff probably wouldn't hurt to check

https://twitter.com/mysk_co/status/1705665324035498016

Someone posted this link that shows if you turn off Significant Locations, it will break Optimized Battery charging.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512 posted:

If Optimized Battery Charging doesn't activate
Optimized charging is designed to engage only in locations where you spend the most time, such as your home and place of work. The feature doesn't engage when your usage habits are more variable, such as when you travel. Because of this, some location settings must be enabled for Optimized Battery Charging to activate.* None of the location information used for this feature is sent to Apple.

Follow these steps:

Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services and turn on Location Services.
Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and turn on System Customization.
Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations and turn on Significant Locations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It didn't turn those back on for me, but drat, I've had Significant Locations off this whole time, I guess that's why I never saw Optimized Battery Charging work. Perhaps it should have told me that.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dutchbstrd posted:

I seem to remember someone saying that the MagSafe battery pack Apple do will act like a regular charger, too.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-XWcq5esE

Yes yes his videos will give you motion sickness and I'm still convinced the accent is an algorithm-boosting affectation (nobody from Nottingham sounds like that), but a pretty useful video. Kind of disappointing to see the smaller pro struggle so much, as the max size phones are just too awkwardly huge for me.

I suppose I'd be interested to see people's real-world experiences with the smaller new pro, as better battery is the one thing that would make me ditch my 13 mini, which struggles to make it through the day.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

I seem to remember someone saying that the MagSafe battery pack Apple do will act like a regular charger, too.

yeah but i want to travel with just the puck, not one with a cord sticking out. Then I can plug in whatever size cable I need for a given situation.

Unless I just get magsafe for home I guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A couple of months ago, I reset all the Location & Privacy settings on my phone since I wanted to review them all by getting prompted again.

Turns out, the Camera app never prompted me to turn on Location access and just left it on the Ask Next Time setting. So it didn’t tag any of my photos since I reset tit with a location. So that’s great.

I kind of advise not using that Reset option. It seems like a good idea but it seems to trigger a lot of unused paths in apps.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Grumbles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-XWcq5esE

Yes yes his videos will give you motion sickness and I'm still convinced the accent is an algorithm-boosting affectation (nobody from Nottingham sounds like that), but a pretty useful video. Kind of disappointing to see the smaller pro struggle so much, as the max size phones are just too awkwardly huge for me.

I suppose I'd be interested to see people's real-world experiences with the smaller new pro, as better battery is the one thing that would make me ditch my 13 mini, which struggles to make it through the day.

I was disappointed about the Pro being in the bottom of these until I saw it still gets 9+ hours SOT.

We’ve crossed the point for me where battery improvements matter if I can get that kind of battery life at a minimum.

Only three days in but I have yet to see my 15P dip below 35% and this during the early period where I’m on it way more than usual.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I was disappointed about the Pro being in the bottom of these until I saw it still gets 9+ hours SOT.

We’ve crossed the point for me where battery improvements matter if I can get that kind of battery life at a minimum.

Only three days in but I have yet to see my 15P dip below 35% and this during the early period where I’m on it way more than usual.

That's good to know!

And yes I agree that a lot of these tests make it hard to imagine what actual use is like. I get why Apple's own stats are like 'X hours video playback' and why they probably can't just do normal use case estimates, but telling me it'll get 3 hours more video playback as compared to my 13 mini doesn't actually tell me if the phone will last me a full day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They probably do that because watching videos is probably the most draining thing most people do with their phone. I was trying to thrash mine yesterday with Genshin and max speaker volume music and Youtube at work. Still got home with 20% left.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the video playback thing dates way back to when it required a lot of CPU to play videos and then Apple added hardware to handle it. So the video playback battery lengths were longer than some of the other ones.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

If you want to stress test your battery, play the arcade ridiculous fishing release from a month or two ago

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What is with this “synced content” category suspiciously taking up the same amount as my synced iTunes library?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Somehow this will not change the trend of every phone screenshot showing critical battery status

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

He's also not testing it against the 13 or 14 Pros, only the Maxes, so there's no good comparison for what's probably most people's upgrade path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rafikki posted:

If you want to stress test your battery, play the arcade ridiculous fishing release from a month or two ago
I'm guessing the "console level gaming" from the keynote (Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, The Division) would also drain the battery rather quickly. But are those even available yet?