Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

muike posted:

any advice on getting the battle log on "eliminate the enforcement squads" besides songbirds and chainguns and git gud?
Zimms and needles are even easier than chainguns and songbirds against small targets that stun easily because they're so bursty. Rub your face against your target and stun with two sets of shotgun blasts (or one for the LCs) then fire both needles while they're stunned. The LCs die in one round of this and the AC/HC spend more time stunned than active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think that means that they haven't spoken. Carla has been with RaD for around threeish years and seems to have been supplying Walter with ACs since.

The actual timeline in this game is a dumpster fire though.

The fires of Ibis were 50 years ago. Sulla was a career mercenary on Rubicon well before that despite sounding like he's in his 20s or 30s. Index Dunham was one of the workers who built the grid and he sounds and looks like he's in his 30s-40s. Father Dolmayan was a doser before the Fires and he looks and sounds like he's 70.

The PCA are unsure if Branch has landed on the planet yet after leaking the existence of coral, making it sound like the corporations have been on the planet for maybe a few weeks. Ziyi's parents tried to run the blockade at least 15-20 years ago because they wanted to mine coral.

all of the characters with weird ages spent time traveling at relativistic speeds. no further questions

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Tungsten posted:

all of the characters with weird ages spent time traveling at relativistic speeds. no further questions

Alternatively: It's anime.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

War Wizard posted:

I've only manually aimed during one mission. The stealth one. Bazooka rounds retain their full damage and have range outside of the FCS, so I picked off enemies from a mile away.

Then I learned to just go fast with other 1-shot MT weapons.

Don’t even need to one shot, you can just shoot them at max range with a ransetsu rf and they’ll ever get out their call.

I think the pilot keeps their radios under their seats those BAWS MTs are really badly laid out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Why does the PCA use BAWS Guard Mechs, is that supposes to by why they aren't bombing them either

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neo Rasa posted:

Holy gently caress this game is good. I know FromSoftware always delivers on the voice acting in Demon's Souls and up (hell even Armored Core 1/etc. are pretty good by the standards of that time), but the voice acting in this one is like, REALLY good. The most impressive thing is how effectively they sell the "surprise" boss encounters and ambushes and stuff. And I really appreciate that every single person talks like they're the heroic main character of their own game even in cases where it's someone you kill like 20 seconds after meeting them.

I've always enjoyed From's voice direction and this one is just as good. I never play these games in Japanese, at least.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have a whole write up I wanna do about the allegories of transsexuality along the lines of transhumanism that is obviously present in this game (among other (post?)cyberpunk, even mecha settings) but they really smacking you in the face with unspecified "augmentation surgery." Maybe a localization feature, but there's something very evocative about it that "procedure(s)," would not capture.

"Reverse the surgery, become normal again."

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

turn off the TV posted:

Why does the PCA use BAWS Guard Mechs, is that supposes to by why they aren't bombing them either

I think BAWS doesn't get bombed by the PCA because they're a native corporation that has always been on Rubicon rather than invaders come to hunt for Coral like Balam and Arquebus.

NG++ spoilers The PCA does still try to crack down on BAWS for having a Coral well in their second arsenal though, so they still won't put up with BAWS actually doing stuff with Coral.

The vibe I get is that BAWS actually has the most native industrial capacity, so basically everyone buys from them to bulk out their forces with basic MTs and tetrapods.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ziasquinn posted:

I have a whole write up I wanna do about the allegories of transsexuality along the lines of transhumanism that is obviously present in this game (among other (post?)cyberpunk, even mecha settings) but they really smacking you in the face with unspecified "augmentation surgery." Maybe a localization feature, but there's something very evocative about it that "procedure(s)," would not capture.

They do specify it some, it's called C-Pulse Sensory Augmentation. They install something called a Cranial Coral Control Device that appears to use C-Pulses to remotely interact with electronic systems in things like ACs.

Shyrka posted:

I think BAWS doesn't get bombed by the PCA because they're a native corporation that has always been on Rubicon rather than invaders come to hunt for Coral like Balam and Arquebus.

NG++ spoilers The PCA does still try to crack down on BAWS for having a Coral well in their second arsenal though, so they still won't put up with BAWS actually doing stuff with Coral.

The vibe I get is that BAWS actually has the most native industrial capacity, so basically everyone buys from them to bulk out their forces with basic MTs and tetrapods.

BAWS is supplying the RLF with weapons and vehicles and the RLF is at war with the PCA. They do have the most native industry, though, which is why Balam and Arquebus are both using their lovely 75 year old MTs and guard mechs.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 24, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

2000 Albanys :patriot:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ziasquinn posted:

:hmmyes: one of the things that infuriates me about techbro transhumanism is that they all seem very eager to forget that embracing human potential means giving up on the whole, like, gender binary thing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

The numbers of BattleTech have always been way off like that beyond the weights too, IIRC someone did the math on it on another forum long ago for the armor and weapon ranges and stuff and worked out that a single British WWII era regiment with tank/air support would steamroll like the entire setting.

Lmao

I know numbers are hard for sci-fi but cmon

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

Where does the PCA ever use BAWS MTs? They seem to always have their own brand, with laser pistol/rifle things, energy hacksaws, and even flamethrowers sometimes.

Institute MTs have pulse blades and shields. As well as little shoulder machine guns and sometimes a linear rifle.

And RaD MTs are a bunch of weirdos.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

War Wizard posted:

Where does the PCA ever use BAWS MTs? They seem to always have their own brand, with laser pistol/rifle things, energy hacksaws, and even flamethrowers sometimes.

Institute MTs have pulse blades and shields. As well as little shoulder machine guns and sometimes a linear rifle.

And RaD MTs are a bunch of weirdos.

Guard Mechs aren't MTs, they're the reverse joint things that can't do anything and die instantly and are somehow as big as an AC

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a little lame that Arquebus Balteus specifically doesn't obey the rules of the game- his pulse armor can't be broken by assault armor unless my game's broken. Even point blank it does nothing to him. It does kick him backwards as if it's supposed to be affecting him though. Got him in three after realizing he just isn't playing the game you are and is also despawning some of your projectiles (what the gently caress, by the way) by just ignoring my guns and kicking him in the teeth a dozen times, but what the hell lol, really puts a hamper on how badass the level is

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 25, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fun detail I found while hunting data files: in Attack the Watchpoint, you can find an encrypted data file on the wreck of one of ALLMIND’s weirdo stealth MTs that indicate A) it knew about Ayre’s existence before you and her made contact and B) makes reference to an “aging mercenary” that would provide a trigger. So presumably, Sulla was there to try and make contact with Ayre on ALLMIND’s terms and you hosed everything up by being there for entirely unrelated reasons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well nevermind the above the next mission had broken audio and clipped out so I think the files got a little corrupted somewhere lmao :negative:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Fun detail I found while hunting data files: in Attack the Watchpoint, you can find an encrypted data file on the wreck of one of ALLMIND’s weirdo stealth MTs that indicate A) it knew about Ayre’s existence before you and her made contact and B) makes reference to an “aging mercenary” that would provide a trigger. So presumably, Sulla was there to try and make contact with Ayre on ALLMIND’s terms and you hosed everything up by being there for entirely unrelated reasons.

This also explains why his arena entry has the buggy intro, he's been assimilated into ALLMIND at that point. He's able to speak during the final boss like Iguazu, although it's a single line of dialogue, and Iguazu is able to interfere with and cut off ALLMIND.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

My favorite enemy is the RaD kicking mech that's only in one level.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao

I know numbers are hard for sci-fi but cmon

I’ve got some news about the weapon ranges in Armored Core 6…

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got the game at launch, beat the sea spider and set the game down a bit. The end of chapter 1 and chapter 2 has kind of some rough pacing. I started playing again Friday and I just beat NG+ tonight. The second time around is so much easier. This game is hella fun.

I’ve been playing AC since the PlayStation titles. VI is very different, but so good in its own right.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kesper North posted:

:hmmyes: one of the things that infuriates me about techbro transhumanism is that they all seem very eager to forget that embracing human potential means giving up on the whole, like, gender binary thing

The two genders are overboost and exceed orbit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CH 4 boss in NG+ took me way more tries than in NG, and I ended up using a different loadout in the end.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I did it!

100% S-ranks, walter and the worm plague me no longer, and the xylem maze I put off forever isn’t so terrible once you begin to remember poo poo. Gen4 augs give you CHIM, this is canon. :colbert:

Game extremely good, I cannot wait to play it again on PC one day with whatever madness the mod scene cooks up.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hell yeah, congrats!

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

Guard Mechs aren't MTs, they're the reverse joint things that can't do anything and die instantly and are somehow as big as an AC

IIRC the PCA's little chicken walkers do have useless PCA-brand lasers instead of the regular useless cannon so I have to assume they're specially made or at least adapted.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All S-ranks completed! :toot:

I actually had the most trouble with Balteus Snail because I was in a light reverse leg and kept getting stunned and two shot by the karazov or plasma blade. Of course if I continued from checkpoint I could easily kill him but I choked every real run. So I switched to plasma + pile bunker light tank, ate the hits, and won.

MIA was tougher than I expected. A ranked because I took too long killing the flighty and dodgy boss. Quad lasers took care of that.

I did resort to zimms and/or needles on both versions of Coral Convergence because I never beat Ibis without a continue in my story runs. As an obsessive robot redesigner who's used every weapon in the game, I cannot emphasize enough how shotguns really are ridiculously overpowered. The DPS of energy weapons with the impact and direct hit of kinetics. I guess the designers thought their short range was a much bigger drawback than it actually is in practice.

lol, I didn't know about the "profile menu" until someone recently posted you can read the data logs there.

Now I think I'll...see what it's like using the NPC AC setups. There are some very interesting choices there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I just wanted my own callsign....."

Jesus kid, I'm just trying to earn some money here don't make me feel bad! :gonk:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus kid, I'm just trying to earn some money here don't make me feel bad! :gonk:

As with many of the more moral ambiguous aspects of life, Bogart is an excellent role model.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

chiasaur11 posted:

As with many of the more moral ambiguous aspects of life, Bogart is an excellent role model.

:lol: that's incredible, I've somehow never seen that before.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

My dumb fan theory is Iguazu sabotaged their ejection system, because he knew training rookie would be better than him. Because why else would a fresh new AC unit be missing the incredibly powerful "And they survived somehow" device.

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.

Neo Rasa posted:

The numbers of BattleTech have always been way off like that beyond the weights too, IIRC someone did the math on it on another forum long ago for the armor and weapon ranges and stuff and worked out that a single British WWII era regiment with tank/air support would steamroll like the entire setting.

I just started learning to play classic BT and every book has a thing at the start saying that they realise ranges are absurd, but otherwise you'd need a table 25 foot long in order to simulate anything like real engagements, and a catch all "it's meant to look heroic and cool" disclaimer

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Glimpse posted:

I’ve got some news about the weapon ranges in Armored Core 6…
Yeah I was about to say, the most common mech weapon in Battletech, a bog standard medium laser, has a max range of about 300 meters already? AC would come off as even worse in that comparison :v:

Of course the real reason games don't typically go for realism is because otherwise you'd just be shooting at dots 4+ kilometers away

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is there any lore on Core Theory? I'm assuming it's something like "next gen armor has made all ranged weapons useless so thrusting a pile bunker through the cockpit is the basis of all combat"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Robots punching each other is way cooler than robots shooting each other so it should be the primary method of combat. A war philosophy for the ages.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there any lore on Core Theory? I'm assuming it's something like "next gen armor has made all ranged weapons useless so thrusting a pile bunker through the cockpit is the basis of all combat"

when you first meet a girl she puts you in a core

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Exodee posted:

Yeah I was about to say, the most common mech weapon in Battletech, a bog standard medium laser, has a max range of about 300 meters already? AC would come off as even worse in that comparison :v:

Of course the real reason games don't typically go for realism is because otherwise you'd just be shooting at dots 4+ kilometers away

One exception I found is some of the missiles have an effective range of 2.5km, still not great for a vehicle mounted missile (man portable TOW missiles have a range of 3.75km). Of course, your FCS can’t lock at that distance so that’s purely for hangtime, but I don’t think they’ll ever get near that far in game before losing or hitting a target.

But yeah, these are games. Games need to be fun, realism be damned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Digihazard posted:

I just started learning to play classic BT and every book has a thing at the start saying that they realise ranges are absurd, but otherwise you'd need a table 25 foot long in order to simulate anything like real engagements, and a catch all "it's meant to look heroic and cool" disclaimer

That reminds me IIRC I think the one game that did make a sorta attempt to have realism with the ranges was Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. and it was kind of blah for that very reason since you were basically targeting and having aerial fights with different colored HUD dots.

I think BattleTech stands out as extra off despite it being the norm for games because you had some crossover back then with players coming from those really hardcore games where it's just a hex map and a million small chits or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 25, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WaltherFeng posted:

it's that the robots can go 200-400 mph and the pilots can brush off fatal g forces so shooting them at range is useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So I was missing 3 or 4 logs, knocked them out this morning and got that last AM decal. Back to making goofy robit mans