Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

And that nincompoop couldn't even finish the gun he promised everyone for years... i guess going into chud politics is easier than gunsmithing. :rolleyes:

(not a gun owner, i just watch a lot of YT)

edit: an appropriate snipe :widowsnypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

LOL now he is making GBS threads up retroactive looks at antique hardware now too? Just leave that to people that know what they're doing like Techmoan or Technology Connections.

I can't wait for his hot take on the Virtual Boy.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

priznat posted:

Yeah I never had one but I knew folks who did and they were nowhere near as good as DVDs even not counting the huge annoying size of the media.

We didn't have laserdisk but my dad jumped on early to divx. loving divx. Who thought making disposable dvd's was a good idea?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Harminoff posted:

We didn't have laserdisk but my dad jumped on early to divx. loving divx. Who thought making disposable dvd's was a good idea?

Multiple different companies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccneE_gkSAs

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 25, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I love the Divx training video that was unearthed some years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Or4nWQpidk

It's a string of canned answers for questions or concerns a potential Divx customer might have, such as "why would I want this," "it sounds fuckin stupid," and "no"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know any details as to who these guys might be, but given the topic of his channel, the pool of people to guest star is probably not the biggest, and the same time you want the popular guys to show up for views. Whether goons think that said people are literal Hitler doesn't really matter to anyone out in the real world.

As a more topical example of such people, take JayzTwoCents, who gets plenty of people in this thread in a tizzy, yet he's still fairly popular considering.

He's been pretty friendly with Brandon Herrera, who is problematic in his own right, and has been pretty friendly with Kyle Rittenhouse. He also had a few videos where he shot up cars and made some really unfortunate comments about "protestors" while doing it. He's also done a lot of stuff with Donut Operator, a youtuber who does a lot of commentary on police videos (including shootings) and generally cheer leads a level of aggression and violence from cops that makes most "back the blue" types blush a bit. They also do the merch and have generally been friendly with Administrative Results, which is a really loving problematic gun youtube channel.

I don't think there's been any single thing with Demo Ranch where they've just poo poo the bed publicly by posting a unhinged transphobic video or ranting about white replacement etc., but if you follow that space at all the dots are connecting in a way that paints a pretty unflattering picture.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Subjunctive posted:

Is the merch really a majority? For some reason I thought it was sponsorships, then private media creation contracts, then YT revenue, then merch. I’ve been wrong before, though!

Something to keep in mind re: merch sales and that viewership graph, is that the merch sales happen because of the videos. A YT'er who's popularity tanks isn't going to be selling t-shirts and mugs. In a lot of ways the YT content is, as far as their bottom line is concerned, an advertisement for the merch. If Steve stops making videos or everyone gets pissed at him and unsub's those mod mats aren't going to sell themselves.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DIVX is such a late-90s format where "yeah just throw this plastic disc in landfill lol" was acceptable. The single-use vapes of their day, except a lot less popular.

The LaserDisc nostalgia seems to be from people who never had to deal with it, I can't see the appeal of a large disc that needs to change sides once every 30 minutes. VHS looked absolutely fine on the TV sizes common at the time, and the Hi-Fi sound on models that weren't poo poo was also more than good enough.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Randalor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say laserdisc was higher quality than DVD, just VHS/Beta.

The commentary track for Mallrats infamously has a few sections where Kevin Smith and the cast laugh at how stupid DVD is because Laserdisc is much better and DVD will never catch on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you see a white person refer to another white person as brother, its guaranteed they're a chud.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

When you see a white person refer to another white person as brother, its guaranteed they're a chud.

Uh huh.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/VWQYEJwVYF4?si=fV-vrgzqymySNGWG

Muta is frustrating to watch, because he asymptotes right up to the line of “getting it” before the Gamer Brain kicks back in and he’s doing the whole “lazy developers” schtick that we’ve heard from internet smegma goblins for years

I’ve been thinking a bunch about this video recently, wherein the dude brings up the classic Hbomberguy CAD video from a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/xDPPig9JR5Y?si=sYhSUveC0V08CuiQ

Gamers are, and always have been, fundamentally incapable of seeing themselves or their hobby as existing within an economy or a society.

Everything that can be easily explained through critique of the current shareholder/private equity/post-low interest rates/etc model of chasing unsustainable growth and returns is instead chalked up to perceived laziness, hatred of art, woke mind virus, disrespect to the fans, etc, etc, etc on the part of shadowy unspecified individuals, with a bulk of the ire usually aimed at low level and creative workers.

And like instead of recognizing that the same forces currently turning mortgages into glorified rents, or making cars unaffordable, or bankrupting formerly-solvent companies with leveraged buyout debt, or driving the strikes in Hollywood, or driving the strikes in the auto industry, etc, are the same forces responsible for microtransactions, service/software-based game delivery instead of physical ownership, shipping unfinished games, shipping rushed games, crunch, the butchering of successful studios, the last minute canning of mostly finished games, firing everybody all of the time, etc (literally everything that they hate about contemporary gaming) they’d rather go scream at some customer service reps and/or trans people

loving depressing man
They're the kind of people who make one part of their lives into their entire personality, OP.
It pretty much explains everything you need to know about them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

The commentary track for Mallrats infamously has a few sections where Kevin Smith and the cast laugh at how stupid DVD is because Laserdisc is much better and DVD will never catch on.

While that technically proves me wrong... who the gently caress cares about Kevin Smith's opinion?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This dude is frustrating to watch because his fuckin microphone is in the wrong place so the camera every so often autofocuses on it and makes everything blurry as poo poo.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

When you see a white person refer to another white person as brother, its guaranteed they're a chud wrestling fan.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Any popular guntuber besides Karl of InRangeTV should be assumed to be a huge loving chud.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gun youtubers are fascist unless proven otherwise, engineering ones are out of touch libertarian/centrist types, if someone mixes the two they're probably Satan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Any popular guntuber besides Karl of InRangeTV should be assumed to be a huge loving chud.

Uh huh.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, I stand corrected I guess.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

From the way he looks and dresses you would think Karl was a Class A very unpleasant figure, but he was the total opposite and surprisingly the other person went batty instead. :iiam:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know nothing about him but I like watching videos with the British guy Gamespot gets to react to video game guns.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

I know nothing about him but I like watching videos with the British guy Gamespot gets to react to video game guns.

This is Jonathan Ferguson, the keeper of firearms and artillery at the Royal Armouries museum in the UK, which houses a collection of thousands of iconic weapons from throughout history.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Just Another Lurker posted:

From the way he looks and dresses you would think Karl was a Class A very unpleasant figure, but he was the total opposite and surprisingly the other person went batty instead. :iiam:

I say it every time it comes up, but if you had me look at a photo of Karl & Ian 5 years ago and gave me a bullet list of their current stances: I'd have picked Karl as the fashy shithead every time.

Sorry Karl! Shouldn't judge a person based on driving a Kubelwagon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s this guy again,

https://youtu.be/AYHeKwSN2bc?si=U5x4_jwXrPNakWHr

Monoprice emailed me a response lol

I’m probably not gonna watch that dudes video because he kinda annoys me but I’m inclined to side with monoprice since I’ve been using them for a decade + at this point.

Edit: it also looks like he uses a filter on his face in that thumbnail which is kinda cringy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

I’m probably not gonna watch that dudes video because he kinda annoys me but I’m inclined to side with monoprice since I’ve been using them for a decade + at this point.

Rossman is a chud on everything that isn’t Right to Repair, and the worst kind of New Hampshire carpetbagger. You shouldn’t watch him, full stop

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

It’s this guy again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYHeKwSN2bc

Monoprice emailed me a response lol

Edit: it also looks like he uses a filter on his face in that thumbnail which is kinda cringy

Tons of companies put those stickers on their products. GN Steve complains about it all the time whenever he sees one during a graphics card teardown. They appear on a lot of other products too. Don't know why you'd side with Monoprice here. They'll happily use any excuse they can to void your warranty, same as annyone.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I appreciate Louis, one of his repair videos showed me how to fix the graphics card on my 2010 macbook and added another 5 years of life to it.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Rossman is a chud on everything that isn’t Right to Repair, and the worst kind of New Hampshire carpetbagger. You shouldn’t watch him, full stop

Agree. Every time I try to watch him apropos of very little he will start complaining about NYC crime or crime in city XYZ. That tells me all I need to know about his worldview.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

r u ready to WALK posted:

I appreciate Louis, one of his repair videos showed me how to fix the graphics card on my 2010 macbook and added another 5 years of life to it.
his discord was also very knowledgable and helpful when i checked it out

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The community around Luis: Mostly good.
Louis himself: Bad Chud man.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say laserdisc was higher quality than DVD, just VHS/Beta.

Early DVDs could look pretty bad, it took a while for MPEG2 encoders to mature. Composite video artifacts don't look quite as bad as macroblocking on a CRT. One of the notable examples was the original DVD of Blade Runner, which looked like poo poo compared to the LD; full of macroblocking and banding and iirc it wasn't even anamorphic widescreen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of early DVDs were just flat out poo poo transfers as well - like taking the DigiBeta tapes used for showing a movie on TV and slapping it onto a disc in letterboxed 4:3 with menus that you spent five minutes on and no special features.

I think the DVD I had of Taxi had hardcoded subtitles, just real low effort stuff all round.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Agree. Every time I try to watch him apropos of very little he will start complaining about NYC crime or crime in city XYZ. That tells me all I need to know about his worldview.

you should watch his videos on teachers unions, or defunding the police, or feminism

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Ok Comboomer posted:

you should watch his videos on teachers unions, or defunding the police, or feminism

I mean, he moved to Texas, as one of that particular variety of libertarian small business owners tend to do..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blitter posted:

I mean, he moved to Texas, as one of that particular variety of libertarian small business owners tend to do..

he did? He left New Hampshire already, so soon?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was Louis Rossman the one who was originally a NYC store owner?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

priznat posted:

Yes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember seeing one of his vids where he was in an easy chair with a monitor on a swivel arm and my main takeaway was that was a pretty cool idea.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

Yes, and then he decided that NY was too libbed up and anti-business so he moved to NH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Someone in this thread one time said Rossmann had "terminal small business brain" which is a perfect summation of it. Everything good is because of my efforts, everything bad is because the man is out to get me.