Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

8one6 posted:

If that's the quest I think it is you're not getting to ng+ without it. Might need to console command the quest to the next stage.

I don't think it is because I never did it in my first playthrough. It's not the quest where you talk to the head church guy about the Unity it's just some basic intro to the church thing where a guy tells you to go ask 3 members to start coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Can’t wait for some total conversion mods like the ones for oblivion and skyrim. Maybe some actual decent writing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Finally built a ship from scratch. It's not pretty, but it's still better than any of my previous attempts.

No ladders, by virtue of only having a single Hab which is on the same floor as the landing back, docker and cockpit.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Food also provides temporary buffs not just HP boosting. Maybe you should eat something thats not chunks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I ran into someone flying a Kepler-R in the middle of nowhere. They were very happy with the purchase, though their pilot apparently hated it. :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I started a new character and suddenly I'm getting random ships in orbits which I never met in my first playthrough. The party ship, one in which someone went on a survival trip on a random planet and got a burning, itchy condition from leeches which drove him to suicide, another where the crew was playing pirates and apparently killed each other after a while, and a third with leaky radiation shielding where the entire crew died to radiation poisoning - this one will quickly overwhelm your suit protection if you're not letting it regen in safe corners or by going back to your ship :eek:

Too bad you can't steal these ships, some of tgem looked cool from the outside.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

isndl posted:

I ran into someone flying a Kepler-R in the middle of nowhere. They were very happy with the purchase, though their pilot apparently hated it. :allears:

The quest Overdesigned in a nutshell

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sucks that the camera mode isn't available during transitions

also lol

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

orcane posted:

The 24th is unlocked through a Barrett quest so you can actually lock yourself out of that one until you do NG+ :v:

You get Parallel Self from Barrett's quest. I'm missing supernova and have the other 23 powers.
Vlad doesn't have any more temples for me.

It's a bug that more than a few people have and I've seen so many different theories on what has caused it.

From some quest you have to trigger to get it to just the game spawned another thing where the temple was supposed to be.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The power is linked to his "Worlds Apart" quest which apparently never fired off for some people, and if you don't/can't get it before doing High Price to Pay a certain way, you will never get that power until you get another chance in NG+.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Earlier in the thread I saw a spoiler about getting yourself as a companion in NG+ and I would like some instructions how to achieve this, for science

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

TeaJay posted:

The quest Overdesigned in a nutshell

The moment of opening the ship menu and seeing the result was :discourse: maybe the most genuinely funny moment in a bethesda game I've had.

All the stuff you do leading up to it is forgettable and it's an interesting quality Starfield has. There is a lot of disagreement about whether the writing is good or bad which I think stems from the experience of doing the quests being the most tedious linear bullshit where a boring NPC tells you to go from point A to point B, but the tedium masks some fun ideas and blink-and-you'll-miss-it clever moments.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

TeaJay posted:

Earlier in the thread I saw a spoiler about getting yourself as a companion in NG+ and I would like some instructions how to achieve this, for science

Save right before the end of the run, reload until you get the NG+ you want.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

isndl posted:

I put a shielded cargo module on my ship for the hell of it rather than any actual necessity, and I guess it's finally going to pay off. Looted an Ecliptic base and left with about 114kg of contraband with a combined value of 507k. Of course, I'm only going to be able to get about 65k out of that because I didn't put points into Commerce, but at least I won't have to spend a couple weeks sleeping at the Den to unload all of it. Too bad I already have 3 million credits and nothing to spend it on.

Skill magazine buffs are also supposed to carry over, I believe.

I just traded it all to the Trade Authority guy in The Den for whatever ammo he had in inventory, then hopped around a bit selling all the ammo back to various vendors. Money laundering in space.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tankbuster posted:

what unacceptable poo poo?

I assume that's related to the omission of visual options like FoV and brightness, but it could also be the new lows Bethesda is achieving in writing, gameplay mechanics & design. Or the excessive overreliance on a relatively small pool of canned PoIs to flesh out a mostly empty map.

ODB seems pretty soured on the game if their posts are any indication. Assuming they bought the game, it might not hurt to put it down for a year or two before coming back. Bethesda's 'We plan on supporting this game for years to come!' line was word for word what they said to try to calm the masses after Fallout 76's disastrous launch, maybe they'll patch in some more PoIs or refine it so there aren't dino bones on our moon.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just can't wait until they hand it off to Obsidian so we can have Starfield But With Interesting People And Things

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I just can't wait until they hand it off to Obsidian so we can have Starfield But With Interesting People And Things

That already happened, it's called Outer Worlds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lobsterminator posted:

That already happened, it's called Outer Worlds.

Ooof, that’s pretty dire then. Just imagine all the UC quests with Outer Worlds’s tone… HEY PLAYER, DID YOU KNOW THIS IS STARSHIP TROOPERS? DID WE FORGET TO REMIND YOU IN THE LAST 30 SECONDS?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I will suck the dick of the first modder dedicated enough to sanity check POI's for BEING IN SPACE/IN LITERAL DEATH ATMOSPHERE and the massive task of fixing them.

Like I really can't get over it. One of the MSQ static locations, where you rescue Barret, is a masterclass in the level designer not understanding THERE IS NO AIR AND YOU CAN'T JUST EAT THROUGH A loving SPACE HELMET AGHH. THERE ARE NO AIRLOCKS ON THE BARRACKS. LOVELY ENVIROMENTAL STORYTELLING WITH ALL THE BEERCASES AT THE LOOKOUT POINT, SHAME THEY HAD NO WAY TO DRINK IT WITHOUT DYING. GUHHH. Or the hanger bay POI, where opening the hanger would vent the ENTIRE COMPLEX because EVERY drat ROOM HAS OPEN AIR CONNECTIONS INTO THE HANGER.

I AM ANGRY.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Jawnycat posted:

I will suck the dick of the first modder dedicated enough to sanity check POI's for BEING IN SPACE/IN LITERAL DEATH ATMOSPHERE and the massive task of fixing them.

Like I really can't get over it. One of the MSQ static locations, where you rescue Barret, is a masterclass in the level designer not understanding THERE IS NO AIR AND YOU CAN'T JUST EAT THROUGH A loving SPACE HELMET AGHH. THERE ARE NO AIRLOCKS ON THE BARRACKS. LOVELY ENVIROMENTAL STORYTELLING WITH ALL THE BEERCASES AT THE LOOKOUT POINT, SHAME THEY HAD NO WAY TO DRINK IT WITHOUT DYING. GUHHH. Or the hanger bay POI, where opening the hanger would vent the ENTIRE COMPLEX because EVERY drat ROOM HAS OPEN AIR CONNECTIONS INTO THE HANGER.

I AM ANGRY.

It would have been cool to see space suit adapted beer bottles, like how there's different canteen designs militaries use to allow people to drink in their chem gear

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jawnycat posted:

I AM ANGRY.

As mentioned before, my favorite is going to some planet with extreme conditions (extreme cold, solar radiation, etc.) and seeing people's Terrabrew coffee cups placed somewhere right out in the open. Like their owners were just sitting outside in the extreme heat/cold/radiation/dust storm/whatever, having a nice hot cup of java, before apparently being chased away by some alien creature or remembering "poo poo, we can't drink this without taking our helmets off".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Or New Homestead, where the entire upper complex, including the farm is apparently -180° and a frostbite risk.

If they actually enabled environmental hazards for NPCs half the population of the galaxy would die. The bug where an NPC exiting a hab while you enter can force both airlock doors open at the same time would be pretty funny though.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 25, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Just did the main quest Entangled and that was pretty cool. I know it's been done a lot & better in other video games but it was a nice surprise for what I thought would be a typical retrieval and it kind of felt like a Star Trek episode. Is it possible to find Rafael after you understand the situation and are given the task of shutting down the probe? I never saw him after that.

In other news I also managed to strand myself in a star system because I boarded & registered a lovely Ecliptic ship as my home ship that didn't have enough jump fuel to get back to somewhere populated. I tried fast traveling but since it redlined to the nearest system it just wouldn't let me. I probably could've figured it out, but I just reloaded to before I took over the ship and continued on my merry way.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I hijacked the Ecliptic Dagger that lands at Vulture's Roost and then discovered that it has so little fuel I couldn't get to a spaceport without hopping through Kryx. That was fun, had to jump in and boost away from the CF ships until the grav drive spooled up again.

That ship sucked.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Or New Homestead, where the entire upper complex, including the farm is apparently -180° and a frostbite risk.

If they actually enabled environmental hazards for NPCs half the population of the galaxy would die. The bug where an NPC exiting a hab while you enter can force both airlock doors open at the same time would be pretty funny though.

Now I'm hoping for a mod that does this very thing. Flying to a planet for some mission, only to discover the entire populace is one big "Darwin Award" winner because some schmuck couldn't wait for the airlock doors to properly cycle. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Setting credits and mats on fire before I go to NG+ is kind of fun. I have a couple factions left, I've seen some folks say to do them before you go, but I feel like it'll give me something new to do there.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

infernal machines posted:

I hijacked the Ecliptic Dagger that lands at Vulture's Roost and then discovered that it has so little fuel I couldn't get to a spaceport without hopping through Kryx. That was fun, had to jump in and boost away from the CF ships until the grav drive spooled up again.

That ship sucked.

Not quite the same, but I boarded an ecliptic ship that had landed. It took off right after I got on. Made my way to the cockpit and killed the crew only to discover my piloting skill wasn't high enough to use the ship, so I was stuck there, marooned in orbit for all eternity.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The first ship I boarded (from the ground) immediately took off and got blown up by what I assume was a large UC patrol. At least that's what I assume, given I exploded ten seconds after the janky loading.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

toggle posted:

Can’t wait for some total conversion mods like the ones for oblivion and skyrim. Maybe some actual decent writing?

from mods? lol

isndl
May 2, 2012
Steam just downloaded 1gb of something for Starfield but there's no explanation for what that was. Mysterious!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Not quite the same, but I boarded an ecliptic ship that had landed. It took off right after I got on. Made my way to the cockpit and killed the crew only to discover my piloting skill wasn't high enough to use the ship, so I was stuck there, marooned in orbit for all eternity.

Can you not fast travel off?

My favorite ship boarding experience is the boss standing right behind the door having some sort of god tier shot gun or something that could almost do a one hit kill.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Alright, found the update notes on the Bethesda website, guess it hasn't been posted on Steam yet:

quote:

A small update has gone out for Starfield on Xbox Series X|S, Microsoft Store, and Steam. This update addresses some issues with performance and stability as well as a few general gameplay issues. We are continuing to work on a larger update that will add features and improvements that we noted in our last update notes. Thank you so much for your continued feedback and support of Starfield and we look forward to a future with you on this journey.
Starfield 1.7.33 Update - Fixes and Improvements
General

Characters: Fixed an issue that could cause some characters to not be in their proper location.
Star Stations: Fixed an issue where Star Stations would be labeled as a player-owned ship.
Vendors: Addressed an issue that allowed for a vendor’s full inventory to be accessible.

Graphics

AMD (PC): Resolved an issue that caused star lens flares not to appear correctly AMD GPUs.
Graphics: Addressed an upscaling issue that could cause textures to become blurry.
Graphics: Resolved an issue that could cause photosensitivity issues when scrolling through the inventory menu.

Performance and Stability

Hand Scanner: Addressed an issue where the Hand Scanner caused hitching.
Various stability and performance improvements to address crashing and freezes.

Ships

Displays: Fixed an issue that would cause displayed items to disappear when applied to in-ship mannequins.
Displays: Fixed an issue that would cause items stored in Razorleaf Storage Containers and Weapon Racks to disappear after commandeering another ship.

Nothing big, just some performance and stability fixes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If they actually fixed UI lag and DPS dips related to that causing crashes then that should be a massive improvement.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

isndl posted:

Alright, found the update notes on the Bethesda website, guess it hasn't been posted on Steam yet:

Nothing big, just some performance and stability fixes.

Sweet

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Now THIS is podracing!

Also yeah, as Fuzzy touched on, does the Armstrong cockpit actually join up well with anything? Nothing seems to line up right. I'd kinda like to use it as it's a cool looking cockpit, but drat it doesn't connect well with any modules I've found.

it....isn't a podracer....it's the mining ship from EVE Online :manning:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Can you not fast travel off?

Hah, I didn't even think to try that. I just reloaded.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it....isn't a podracer....it's the mining ship from EVE Online :manning:

That's even more of a podracer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, since this is available on Game Pass and Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 aren't, does that make it a bit less significant that the former is above it in count and the later is equal? This was the biggest launch in their history according to BGS, but I'm trying to get a since of where they are as near one month later.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, since this is available on Game Pass and Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 aren't, does that make it a bit less significant that the former is above it in count and the later is equal? This was the biggest launch in their history according to BGS, but I'm trying to get a since of where they are as near one month later.

In count where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its their biggest launch by several measures and its orders of X times as much. I feel gamepass has a lot to do with it, but I'm not sure how much.

People are also just hungry for RPGs it seems