Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

drewhead posted:

Welcome to team unnecessary bridge

That karve belongs in a mesuem

:stwoon:

How did you manage that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

:stwoon:

How did you manage that?
Patients and Build Camera https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/226
All the materials were gathered the old fashioned way. That's almost an entire swamps worth of Ironwood. Build Camera allows one to detach the POV from the character and move it freely anywhere within the workbench sphere. Works like a champ to build underwater.
I think Valheim+ has an advanced building mode that's similar, but I used Build Camera first and am just used to that one.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
It's a while since I played but I had found a nice spot and decided to not just build a bridge, but to make the bridge into my base.

Photo taken from a different, regular-rear end bridge

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I'm having a lot of trouble getting a foothold in the Mistlands. I've got a wisp light and black metal pickaxe, but not a whole lot else specific to the biome. I found sources of black marble and copper scrap but I don't know what to do with the copper. I haven't unlocked any kind of new crafting station. I do have the food production upgrade and see there's a new status bar to manage, but beyond that I'm not sure where to go. I'm getting rocked and corpse runs are frequent enough that I've just started using the console and flying to retrieve my belongings. This feels like a bigger jump in difficulty than even the early stages of the plains biome.

Visually it's by far my favorite biome, but I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point. Any advice?

Burns
May 10, 2008

BrianRx posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting a foothold in the Mistlands. I've got a wisp light and black metal pickaxe, but not a whole lot else specific to the biome. I found sources of black marble and copper scrap but I don't know what to do with the copper. I haven't unlocked any kind of new crafting station. I do have the food production upgrade and see there's a new status bar to manage, but beyond that I'm not sure where to go. I'm getting rocked and corpse runs are frequent enough that I've just started using the console and flying to retrieve my belongings. This feels like a bigger jump in difficulty than even the early stages of the plains biome.

Visually it's by far my favorite biome, but I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point. Any advice?

Perservere. Its tough until you can get some cores to craft the new forge. Finding those mines was a pain in our game, but they can sometimes be marked with wisp lights.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I'd say the first thing to do is find an abandoned structure, clear it out, and build a little base in there with a portal. Then it's just exploring, you'll find what you need inside the structures.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Burns posted:

Perservere. Its tough until you can get some cores to craft the new forge. Finding those mines was a pain in our game, but they can sometimes be marked with wisp lights.

That's helpful because I didn't know that there were mines. Aside from the wisp lights, which I've come across, are they particularly noticeable? The restricted visibility and sometimes confusing mix of colors and geography is giving me some trouble. I think the first thing I noticed after a couple of forays was a massive rusted sword, and I almost missed that.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Mistlands mines are usually giant staircases leading into the side of a mountain. So they’re easy to see if you approach from the right direction. (They’re also sometimes cellars in dwergr towers.)

Have you found roots and/or digs yet? My first time in the Mistlands, I fully explored several zones before I realized that the biome wasn’t exclusively little islands and towering spurs and does have some more “continental” areas.

Edit: you can find mines and dwergr houses in either type of zone, but digs and roots seem to only show up in the continental areas, and you’ll definitely be missing most of the major mechanics if you haven’t found those yet.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 24, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BrianRx posted:

I ended up treating the Mistlands more like the swamps than anything else and haven't really settled in them like I did elsewhere.

You're looking for infested structures to get the Cores you need for the new crafting station, so if you see a large numbers of Seekers in an area, unfortunately it is somewhere you want to be. There are two rypes: giant stairs leading up, usually marked with some mistlights, and in the basements of some towers.

There are some structures you can move into, which you should keep an eye out for. There are broadly two types of towers: one inhabited by dvergr and the other infested by seekers. The infested ones also have mines in the basement, so make a good place to throw a portal down as a waystation. The dvergr ones you can't settle unless their ward gets destroyed, which makes them hostile if you do it, but they can be safe zones while exploring. And who knows, maybe seekers will destroy it for you.

The other thing you are looking for is a dvergr needle, which can only be grabbed from dvergr encampments and will trigger a fight with them unless their ward is destroyed by eg bugs. There are small harbors that only have one or two guards, which is where I got mine.

For combat, the enemies are resistant to physical damage so I used Frostner really heavily early on. Also, the blackmetal atgier and its spin stun was really useful, so take those two weapons preferentially. Slowing and stunning was really important until you get later Mistlands weapons.

The copper is there because some of the new stuff requires copper to make and they didn't want to make you haul poo poo from the black forest. There are ways to get iron in the Mistlands too, for the same reason.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 24, 2023

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

BrianRx posted:

copper scrap but I don't know what to do with the copper.

It's the same thing as copper ore, throw it into the basic smelter.

If you're getting rocked out in the open wait till you find a mine. It's easy to get overwhelmed with things coming out of different places.

My advice for mines is go slow, always know exactly how to get to the exit. The foyer like room at the exit has a step up from the mines innards that most bugs can't step up. It also has those vine headers that seekers can't fly through. Aggroing and retreating to this point is effective, but slow. Just be careful not to hit that top vine header, it can be destroyed. The new crossbow works well here. You should have a zillion bones to run into bone bolts. Prioritize ticks, they can get through and they suuuuck quite literally.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
There's sometimes stuff inside the skulls...

I get early dwarf needles from their excavation sites rather than their towers. There's usually less dwarves and it is easier to train seekers onto them.

Sometimes there are valleys that are mist free and if you build wisp lights you can expand that zone. I've started a base there but have only gotten as far as a basement.

You can farm the two new types of mushrooms but they only grow in mistlands.

I think the copper and iron sources are there so you don't have to haul stuff from black forests or swamps to build a forge and what not. Though I don't think there's a source of tin for some of the workshop and forge upgrades.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you want to skip murdering the local dvergr for a sap extractor, consider building a workbench and a cart nearby, and having some unfortunate incidents trying to navigate a cart near their ward. They're quite forgiving of property damage so long as it's inflicted by an "environmental object".

Burns
May 10, 2008

Lets not forget that dvergr can totally mess you up with their mages and crossbows. But they can make good temporary allies.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Burns posted:

Lets not forget that dvergr can totally mess you up with their mages and crossbows. But they can make good temporary allies.

The first time I met one, I didn’t know what they were and just fired off an arrow, which was somehow a direct hit at a decent distance.

I saw a text bubble that said “that was a mistake”, and then a thorough rear end beating began :laffo:

Burns
May 10, 2008

I got a massive swamp biome im exploring now. There must be 15 or so crypts ive found so far. Still no bonemass altar.

I also have to deal with a corpse run and a failed corpse run. I know the relative location of my first death (to wolves in blqck forest who got attracted to my fighting greydwarfs). But my first corpse run i got totally lost so finding that grave will be interrsting.

Burns fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 27, 2023

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Thanks everybody for the Mistlands tips above. Ive gotten the crafting benches and the extractor set up, so I think I at least have the biome's mechanics available. So far, the only place I've found the non-sap requirement for the extractor is in crates at Dverger sites. Is there a less murdery way to get it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The actual needle? No, that's the only way it spawns. Though you can sometimes find accessible ones without murder because the ward has already been destroyed by fighting.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

BrianRx posted:

Thanks everybody for the Mistlands tips above. Ive gotten the crafting benches and the extractor set up, so I think I at least have the biome's mechanics available. So far, the only place I've found the non-sap requirement for the extractor is in crates at Dverger sites. Is there a less murdery way to get it?

It's only from Dverger crates, unfortunately, however you aren't always required to murder a camp (yourself) to get them.

Dverger will get mad at you for breaking their poo poo but not for just picking up their poo poo if it's hanging around. If that crate gets broken by something else, you can then pick up the extractor without issue (as an additional aside, you can pick up all the free-standing lanterns that are often in these bases if you would like to use them for your own permanent light sources).

The "easiest" way to do this is to aggro a Gjall near an excavation that has the crate sitting out in the open, or a tower that has it on the roof, and try to get the Gjall to throw some fireballs in it's general direction. Obviously this can be finicky and involves some RNG (that a box is in the right place, that a Gjall is nearby at all, that it shoots fireballs at the right spot...) but early on when maybe you don't want to fight 10 dwarves for it, it's a better play. If the floor beneath a box breaks for any reason, that will also break the box, as expected.

I think my first extractor I got by "accidentally" luring in a 2-star seeker and a few of his friends to a Dverger tower and let them fight it out until only a couple seekers were left standing so that I could clean up. This is a more risky option that takes longer, but will thin out a crowd.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Do you mean soft tissue, the non-sap input to the eitr refinery? The primary source for that is the giant skulls which are sometimes in digs and sometimes just out in the valleys.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

BrianRx posted:

So far, the only place I've found the non-sap requirement for the extractor is in crates at Dverger sites. Is there a less murdery way to get it?

Think some people are misreading this. The non-sap requirement for the extractor is Soft tissue. And there is both a less murdery way and a way with greater yields.

You are looking for Giant Remains. Big exposed skeletons laying on the ground partially buried. Look for the big rib cages of petrified bone. Some, not all, have a skull at the head. Inside the skull is a source of Soft tissue you can mine with the black metal pickaxe.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The actual needle? No, that's the only way it spawns. Though you can sometimes find accessible ones without murder because the ward has already been destroyed by fighting.

Meiteron posted:

It's only from Dverger crates, unfortunately, however you aren't always required to murder a camp (yourself) to get them.

I've got the sap extractor, I was referring to the items you put into the refinery with the sap. I was using the wrong term, sorry, and avoiding spoiling something that is possibly already known to most folks here.

A response above gave the hint on where to look. It's both cool and gross. The Mistlands are definitely a departure from other biomes and I'm enjoying them. It's far more complicated than the earlier ones and I almost wish the devs would go back to them to add content and mechanics, but I'd rather have new biomes if it's a binary choice.

edit: and subsequent responses were more explicit about where to find soft tissue. Thanks all.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I like my little Dvergrgrghr buddies so I never kill them however early on in the mist they make great friends to run to if you're in a pickle, and if you just stand by the extractor crate while there...

Burns
May 10, 2008

What are recommendations fro melee weapons in the mountain? Sword and board on very high is just not cutting it as even basic wolves do so much damage.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I have no idea and would love to figure it out, because wolves are just loving lethal. I’m in max armor and even unstarred wolves will sometimes stun-lock me to death if I’ve let my food decay too much, and that’s just on hard. Killing unstarred wolves is completely about timing the first strike perfectly so that you can either stun them or get a second strike in before you get dazed. That doesn’t work on starred wolves, which I just run away from if I can’t get the drop on them.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 1, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Anyway, on day 160 or so I finally found Hildir; she’s on the same continent as Yagluth. Like fifty days ago I was doing a little exploring on my way to Bonemass and caught a glimpse of what was indisputably Yag’s sanctum, and that was basically all I knew of that island. My local mountains finally ran dry, and none of the other mountains on my megacontinent panned out, so I started mining some mountains up by Bonemass. When I headed out to pick that up, I decided to sail around the other side of Yag’s island, and there she was. I like her music.

It turns out the mountains I’m mining are incredibly rich (I switched off Wishbone after finding the sixth vein because it was just getting annoying) and also have both a Moder spawn and the Howling Caverns. The caverns are full of single-star ulves, who are just as awful as their cousins except that you can usually snipe them while they’re sleeping. Geirrhafa was a fun fight, although I ended up cheesing about half his bar because he couldn’t navigate through the caves. I did try to finish him properly, and we killed each other with our final swings. I’ll finish clearing that, return the chest to Hildir, and then probably just prep for Moder.

I tend to spend too much time scrambling up mountainsides and then (given how ganky the mountains are) doing the world’s worst corpse runs, so I’ve been trying to hold myself to a policy of making proper cutback trails everywhere I go — not wide or flat enough for a cart, but at least enough to reliably run up. It’s paid off quite a few times so far.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Burns posted:

What are recommendations fro melee weapons in the mountain? Sword and board on very high is just not cutting it as even basic wolves do so much damage.

I had more luck with the mace than anything. The wolves stun you easily, but are also vulnerable to it iirc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Burns posted:

Atgeir. The reach and stun secondary is extremely powerful, it's definitely the best melee weapon, though you generally still want a mace because everything is weak to blunt damage for some reason.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Apparently Geirrhafa respawns within a matter of days, so I had the pleasure of killing him a second time, which I did mostly legitimately. Actually quite a straightforward fight if you bring a quick weapon — the battleaxe was not a good choice, but the sword worked well. Forward roll to victory.

I went and made the crystal battleaxe because I had a ridiculous surplus of silver, and I found it worked well against wolves and starred ulfs, even in small packs: it does AoE and enough damage to stun, and it outranges them. Obviously the timing becomes extremely important, though. Haven’t run into a starred wolf to try it there yet, though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Mountains survival tips are:

don't be there at night
conserve your stamina, walk as much as possible
don't try to parry wolves at the beginning, just block their first attack and wail on them they should go down in 2-3 hits. if your weapon is fully upgraded with swamp mats you should stagger the wolf.
don't fight golems
don't fight on slopes

most of these are applicable anywhere but mountains are the first zone where you really can't run from your problems

Firebert fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 1, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you aren’t supposed to fight golems and aren’t supposed to run from them, what options are left?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

ymgve posted:

If you aren’t supposed to fight golems and aren’t supposed to run from them, what options are left?

Oh, you can run from golems, they will aggro onto other monsters very readily. They are also very slow, so you can get away from them pretty leisurely

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You can jump on them and pickaxe them to death. It is hilarious but also stupidly dangerous.

I actually like fighting them. You have to accept that they’re resistant to everything, so the fight’s going to be long. They turn very slowly, so if you have a quick weapon, you can dodge an attack to get to their back/side, get a combo off and then get away before they turn.

I do wish they dropped something worthwhile. Generally I’m drowning in crystal.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also golems have a combo attack that only half staggers- you block the first and the next one still follows. This is very, very important to know.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can parry a golem and rapidly switch to a pickaxe. If you're fast enough you'll still get the bonus damage from them being stunned.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Bonemass power also negates a lot of the Golem's damage.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Parry and mace, bit by bit, is the way I do it. It's pretty high risk until you get wolf armor and can take a hit or two, though. There also isn't a very good reason to do it unless you're clearing the area around Moder's altar to prep for the fight.

Alternatively, if you have a harpoon, you can drag them into a hole and leave them there to aggro other enemies while you go back to mining in peace.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I just cheese them with fire arrows and kiting mostly.

But yeah you can usually get away from them just by walking in the right direction, they have a fairly limited range from where they spawn typically IIRC.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Killed Moder last night. Not too bad; I made a bunch of little earth towers to hide behind, and she got confused by them all, so I just shot her full of holes. She did catch me once around 25% when I got too greedy about drinking a potion (also because earth towers don’t seem to protect against her landed breath attack, just the one from the air).

Walked around a bit to decompress and explore some more of the mountain, then portaled home, where I was immediately attacked by goblins before I even had a chance to craft new arrows.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Had to do a little extra playing around this afternoon to get my mods working with the new patch. Something to do with the crossplay feature really seems to mess with the files, so best to back up your folders before you download -- then COMPLETELY UNINSTALL, wipe the folder, COMPLETELY REINSTALL, then drop in new downloads of all the mods, replace your world file backup (if it isn't saved to the cloud), then replace your config files from backup.

Then it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Burns posted:

Honestly I usually just use clubs/maces for 95% of my playthroughs. Club is easy to make, easy to upgrade, and takes you all the way through til you can make an iron mace, iron mace takes you to Frostner (and is still a good off-hand for stuff like golems), and Frostner is good for most stuff afterwards. First goal in a new biome is to make a buckler of the new metal & max it out asap for the best blocking/parrying but even then you need to roll or dodge some mobs (mainly golems) and then run back in to whack em.