Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Chas McGill posted:

Just finished The Last Action Heroes and it was an easy, breezy listen without being particularly illuminating or having many revelations. My main take away is that Jackie Chan is the real tough guy and I wish most of the book had been dedicated to him.

The narrator particularly relished quoting Steven Seagal, who comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat, though of course that's a well known fact these days.

I've come to terms with the fact that there simply won't ever be another Jackie Chan. I don't think the conditions and environment that created him exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned that :siren: Justin Lin is directing a reboot of The One (2001) with a $200 million budget :siren:

I hope they keep the opening narration that explains what a multiverse is verbatim.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

VROOM VROOM posted:

I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned that :siren: Justin Lin is directing a reboot of The One (2001) with a $200 million budget :siren:

I hope they keep the opening narration that explains what a multiverse is verbatim.

This is going to sound weird. But why? I can't imagine a better cast.

Blow the money on a Stainless Steel Rat movie instead! Same author and the Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World has a perfect action movie bit to steal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm guessing the Why is to capitalize on multiversal stuff like everybody else and The One was ahead of its time in that regard.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

VROOM VROOM posted:

That is genuinely so extremely loving weird. I have to imagine Lin more or less gets to pick his projects these days and he's doing that with it?

I suspect that it might be a Starship Troopers situation: it's a broadly similar script and they're worried about being sued. They decide to just buy the remake rights (how much can those be worth in 2023?) rather than risk that lawsuit.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BRING BACK STATHAM

MAKE HIM DO THE ACCENT

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, I thought the "Jet Li moving normally while everyone else is in slow motion" fight scenes in the original were sick. They ran it into the ground by the end but still. With $200 million you could have a ton of fun with that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Imagine that, but fully CGI

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

no Drowning Pool needledrop, no sale

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The One really kicks rear end and holds up.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

well why not posted:

BRING BACK STATHAM

MAKE HIM DO THE ACCENT

MAKE HIM HAVE HAIR

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can we do the One, but make it twice as long

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The One 2

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Instead of Jet Li, we are going to cast a carousal of dead action giants. Imagine Bruce Lee, but like an undead ghoul.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In honor our studio's newfound embrace of diversity and people of color, we will include a new character, named snips, who is the main character's new best friend, who says drat! a lot. Played by Chris Tucker.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pillowpants posted:

Have you read or listened to his other book about how comedians of the 80s?
No, might grab it if it's a similar vibe. I'm a bit less interested in the subject matter though.

poonchasta posted:

I've come to terms with the fact that there simply won't ever be another Jackie Chan. I don't think the conditions and environment that created him exist anymore.
I remember thinking Tony Jaa had potential when Ong Bak came out, but I think you're right.

The current crop of martial arts guys are talented but the style and philosophy can't be recaptured.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also the studio and distribution systems that existed when he made his movies. Let's not discount that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's a topic that Scott Adkins brings up a lot in the Art of Action series, the overall production freedom that someone like Jackie had in the 80s combined with the ridiculously high work ethic and a stunt team that would take a bullet for him and worshipped the ground he walked on, it was a perfect storm. Like, if a scene or particular shot wasn't working they just kept going until it did. No such thing as "well that doesn't look great but we have 20 other shots to get today so we have to move on".

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
There's a big video about how the hong Kong system basically fell apart by the mid 90s and never recovered, I can't find it though.

But yeah, I listen to a lot of Jacobus/Adkins interviews and there's so much talk about the old ways of making movies that just don't apply anymore. A perfect storm is the right term. It's too bad, because I think interest in action is really high now compared to a decade ago (before the Raid burst onto the scene) but you can see that the American studios just don't understand it and most of them remain focused on doing coverage shooting with shots chosen in editing later, rather than short but specific takes where theres no choice for the editing. It costs too much time and money that the execs would rather waste on whatever they waste it on

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Chas McGill posted:

No, might grab it if it's a similar vibe. I'm a bit less interested in the subject matter though.

I remember thinking Tony Jaa had potential when Ong Bak came out, but I think you're right.

The current crop of martial arts guys are talented but the style and philosophy can't be recaptured.

Jackie also had an absolutely incredible stunt team behind him and guys like Sammo Hung who could direct the action. I don't think Jackie would be as well known if he didn't surround himself with talent like he did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
American action at some point also became way way too focused on long takes. Maybe it was after Daredevil got all that attention for the longtake scene it did in it's first season? Maybe it was after John Wick came on the scene and people were talking about how few cuts there were compared to other action movies? I dunno but it's an aspect of classic Hong Kong stuff that seems to be lost on most American filmmakers, the idea of purposeful cuts to emphasize impact and create rhythm so that the audience can feel the flow of the scene. Somewhere along the line people saw how Liam Neeson was being made fun of for not being able to hop a fence without three cuts and made the leap that cuts were always bad regardless of context.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

American action at some point also became way way too focused on long takes. Maybe it was after Daredevil got all that attention for the longtake scene it did in it's first season? Maybe it was after John Wick came on the scene and people were talking about how few cuts there were compared to other action movies? I dunno but it's an aspect of classic Hong Kong stuff that seems to be lost on most American filmmakers, the idea of purposeful cuts to emphasize impact and create rhythm so that the audience can feel the flow of the scene. Somewhere along the line people saw how Liam Neeson was being made fun of for not being able to hop a fence without three cuts and made the leap that cuts were always bad regardless of context.
The opening scene of JCVD (2008) makes fun of this. Which is crazy because it's still a problem.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I agree, western action movies need more cuts

https://youtu.be/gCKhktcbfQM?si=FBQwYQExJBafWsgo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There are two different problems: capable and talented performers being used in long cuts or fake oners that can damage cinematography, geography, and fight rhythm, and micro-cutting around an ailing star who can't actually do the action.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

The opening scene of JCVD (2008) makes fun of this. Which is crazy because it's still a problem.

i only caught up with this movie recently when i marathoned like 30 Van Damme movies and i think this became one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Basebf555 posted:

Liam Neeson was being made fun of for not being able to hop a fence without three cuts and made the leap that cuts were always bad regardless of context.
Its been a while since someones seen this scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by4UZ-79MK4

Its at the very least 12 cuts. My eyes hurt trying to count more than that.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

TBF it's not just an action thing, it's been a trend in movies for decades. it's just particularly egregious in action movies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neeson is a thousand years old, to be fair. He's not the only example - Shaft 2019 is designed so Sam Jackson never has to move above a leisurely stroll - but it's definitely the most glaring.

I'd assumed the single take fetishism was also a bit of a reaction to the shakycam days of the mid 2000s.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you had to get around neeson jumping a fence you just need like 3 cuts.

Run towards French, hop up
Someone stunt climbing the fence
Neeson on the other side hopping down connecting it

Bababooey

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You could also just not write a scene where your ancient star has to go over a fence.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It comes and goes. I was watching/reading something about how old Hollywood did a lot of longer takes due to the roots in stage/theater production and took quite some time to get away from that. Heck , look at Errol Flynn or Buster Keatons work and you see that the takes are long. The difference is there isn't much camera movement.

I'm not much of a film buff so my main reference for the modern long take is Touch of Evil by Welles in 56, which then gets directly referenced by the Player. Right around the same time theres the Hard Boiled hospital fight, but that's just a segment in a 45 minute action scene so it never stood out the same way to me.

But it isn't until Old Boy (2003) that I'm aware of it being used for a hand to hand fight scene. Then you have a bunch of prestige TV also doing it , overseas productions, and big Hollywood movies, so who knows when which one shot was in production before another.
From memory it's
Old Boy 2003
Protector 05 (seen by no one but action fans)
Children of Men 06 (pretty big but still niche) , but these ones are guns not hand to hand
JCVD 08 but other than protector/old boy what is it even referencing? Taken comes out later this year fwiw
Gravity 2013, but this isn't even combat
True detective 2014, but this is more like children of men.
Kingsmen church fight. This blows up and is all over YouTube and people talking about it that aren't into action. First mainstream breakthrough I think
Daredevil 15. This is I think where it gets super mainstream
Game of thrones episodes around this time. Can't pin down my memories of which ones and where but they were definitely a thing
Atomic Blonde 17, showing with enough training and determination anyone in Hollywood can do it

And it's been kind of plateaued since then. Wick 4 had the excellent example of realizing a oner was boring without anything else and then choosing a completely different camera perspective.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Atomic Blonde rocks, idk about relegating Theron and Leitch to "anyone in hollywood".

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

well why not posted:

Atomic Blonde rocks, idk about relegating Theron and Leitch to "anyone in hollywood".

Honestly I should have said that about Kingsman and Colin Firth. Theron's one of my favorite action performers, I'm not trying to undersell her.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

well why not posted:

Sam Hargrave (director of the Extraction movies) was a stunt co-ordinator on that too I think.

Also, it's been a while since I've seen it but doesn't Thin Red Line use a lot of long takes? (Both Malick and Cuaron are both in love with Sergey Urusevsky's cinematography)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 26, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well why not posted:

You could also just not write a scene where your ancient star has to go over a fence.

It’s a movie. You can write anything you want

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
kinda came out of nowhere but a screening double billed (had to pay twice :shepspends:) with Creator was an Indian movie Kill which some of you might be down for

it's The Raid on a train

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Trains are just one long moving hallway so that sounds perfect

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

kinda came out of nowhere but a screening double billed (had to pay twice :shepspends:) with Creator was an Indian movie Kill which some of you might be down for

it's The Raid on a train

I caught KILL earlier this month and it loving rocks. Very similar to The Raid but horizontal instead of vertical.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

flashy_mcflash posted:

I caught KILL earlier this month and it loving rocks. Very similar to The Raid but horizontal instead of vertical.

I actually did have a question

what happened with the mole guy who jammed the phones and promised to help with the hammer but stood by and did nothing? It looked like him and 3 guys wanted to jump off and the guys ahead of him ate poo poo doing it? It cut after he watched them do it and iirc he just never showed up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bearing in mind that I saw this at a midnight screening almost a month ago, I think that guy survived and showed up again at the very end? I could be wrong though.