Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looks like a screencap of a cut scene from Red Alert 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Looks like a screencap of a cut scene from Red Alert 2

Dammit!!! :argh:

I was going to post the same. :roflolmao:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CommieGIR posted:

Drone Operator: "Oh no, I've crashed......come closer....."

Step brother I've crashed

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Christ, there is geniune concern in Russia that the diesel/gasoline export ban was too late. Farmers might not be able to get the fuel to harvest all the crops due to the war sucking it up.

Also due to price caps on fuel in Russia, the Government might not have the funds to be able to pay the excess cash above the caps when farmers that do have access to fuel fill up their farm vehicles. Throw in that Russia needs food for it's war and it also needs that cash from exporting fuel that it no longer exports.

In short

Womp

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

Christ, there is geniune concern in Russia that the diesel/gasoline export ban was too late. Farmers might not be able to get the fuel to harvest all the crops due to the war sucking it up.

Also due to price caps on fuel in Russia, the Government might not have the funds to be able to pay the excess cash above the caps when farmers that do have access to fuel fill up their farm vehicles. Throw in that Russia needs food for it's war and it also needs that cash from exporting fuel that it no longer exports.

In short

Womp

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[Gauntlet Legends and/or Dark Legacy voice] Russia needs fuel badly.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Don't shoot the fuel!

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Tai posted:

In short

Womp
I'm sure there's some ethnic region that will get zero food. Gives the "ackshwally it's not really a genocide" people something to argue about for the next 50 years.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao at China and India inadvertently loving Russia.

So Europe was the main buyer of finished oil products but noped out of that. India and China buy from Russia but don't want finished products, just crude. They refine it themselves and use or sell it.

Because Russia needs cash, it sold on it's crude oil and 45% of it's mega refineries went idle due to not being cost efficient. This caused a fuel shortage along with a 25% price increase along with a lot of farmland unable to be harvested. Now that it has banned gasoline/diesel (not Kaza/Belar/Armenia/another country I've forgotten) it will also get less export cash.

Lol and lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What was the actual agreed realpolitik reason for invading Ukraine? Resources, space, rebuilding the empire?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Denazification

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
“Ukraine is not a real country”

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
Was there ever one? The most recent casus belli I saw was this one

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

What was the actual agreed realpolitik reason for invading Ukraine? Resources, space, rebuilding the empire?

Putin is a piece of poo poo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

My assumption is that securing Crimea was the #1 goal, taking more chunks just for the sake of creating a land route with a safety buffer around it, but it's anyone's guess what the reasoning actually was :shrug:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Karma Comedian posted:

Denazification

Ok fine, but no really. Not the propaganda, more, 'this is why having Ukraine will make Putin/Russia stronger '

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sebmojo posted:

NATO/US backed Russia into a corner and they had to prevent Ukraine from joining.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Land bridge to Crimea to solidify logistics, tons of farmland to shore up their grain production and further their strategic aims in Africa. Pissing in the West's cheerios after the anti-corruption revolution. Show the world that Russia's (red) Star is on the rise.

Take your pick; who knows the real thoughts behind the shitman's actions?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so general rodney dangerfield wants total war now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rugz posted:

Was there ever one? The most recent casus belli I saw was this one

guess they have to invade hell now too.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I used to joke about how Americans seem to think the solution homelessness is to just round up all the homeless and put them into a giant box and tip it into the ocean, but Russia is finding a way to actually do it pretty much

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

sebmojo posted:

Russia has claimed dozens of reasons, so there's no point in entertaining what they think.

In terms of what could Russia hope to gain: Nothing. The invasion was such a stupid idea from the outset that a lot of analysts were sceptical they were serious about invading. Ukraine is worth more as a trade partner.

However, if we look at the timeline of events, it's clear the war is a reaction to Ukraine moving closer to the EU. Russia apparently cannot accept Ukraine having closer relations with the EU.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

RDM posted:

I'm sure there's some ethnic region that will get zero food. Gives the "ackshwally it's not really a genocide" people something to argue about for the next 50 years.

Given that tankies will happily say that using Wagner penal battalions was a stroke of genius because it got rid of undesirable elements of Russian society I doubt there will be any qualms about a little selectively distributing food to massage certain demographics of Russian society.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Ok fine, but no really. Not the propaganda, more, 'this is why having Ukraine will make Putin/Russia stronger '

Putin wanted to finish off what he started in 2014, by destroying Ukraine as an independent state, and stealing choice bits of its territory for Russian use. It was planned as a pointed example of what happens to disloyal client states, and a demonstration of the West's weakness.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

I used to joke about how Americans seem to think the solution homelessness is to just round up all the homeless and put them into a giant box and tip it into the ocean, but Russia is finding a way to actually do it pretty much

They already took care of their prison population...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Antigravitas posted:

Russia has claimed dozens of reasons, so there's no point in entertaining what they think.

In terms of what could Russia hope to gain: Nothing. The invasion was such a stupid idea from the outset that a lot of analysts were sceptical they were serious about invading. Ukraine is worth more as a trade partner.

However, if we look at the timeline of events, it's clear the war is a reaction to Ukraine moving closer to the EU. Russia apparently cannot accept Ukraine having closer relations with the EU.

Someone should have told Russia that they could join the EU too if they wanted. Or not, that'd be fine also. Wild.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Haystack posted:

Putin wanted to finish off what he started in 2014, by destroying Ukraine as an independent state, and stealing choice bits of its territory for Russian use. It was planned as a pointed example of what happens to disloyal client states, and a demonstration of the West's weakness.

Have you considered that I saw an Azov battalion guy once? Check and Checkmate libcuck

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

A free and prosperous Ukraine is a threat to Putins regime, if Russians see that democracy can actually work and make your country a better place to live, they might start having ideas about their own.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
To the extent that there is geopolitical logic to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, it's that Putin wants Russia to be a respected (feared) Great Power like it used to be under the czars and the Soviets, and the only reason it's not is because it got tricked into signing away its empire in 1989 and 1991, and the proper response to that is to reassemble the old czarist/Soviet empire, starting with countries in near-abroad that should never have fallen out of Russian control in the first place. His various wars in Chechnya and Georgia, and the 2014 annexation of Crimea, were his initial steps towards that goal, and in 2022 he believed conditions were ripe for him to take the next step, which was to invade Ukraine, occupy the country fully, and replace its western-leaning leadership with Moscow-aligned puppets. He greatly misjudged the situation, both on the ground in Ukraine (where he was told the Zelenskyy regime was a rotten shell with no real popular support, and people would welcome the re-imposition of Russian rule) and in the west (which he considered weak, divided, bought-off, and unwilling to mess with such a critical provider of fossil fuels), and he thought that a three-day operation would win him control of Ukraine as a fait accompli before the west could even begin to act, and that the effects of any sanctions would be mild and temporary (because he held Europe's economy hostage to his gas and oil exports).

It's really not that complicated or hard to figure out his thinking, it's just very, very dumb.

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
The West was using a carrot on Ukraine so Russia decided to use it's stick. Turns out "the West" has a bigger stick to go along with that carrot.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tai posted:

Dang, that sounds really bad. Shame there's nothing Russia can do about it, such as stop this invasion and go home, which would free up all that fuel for other uses... but no, that's obviously impossible.

RDM posted:

This post is completely inaccurate.

The Holodomor happened 90 years ago, so the tankies will argue about the next one for at least another 90 years.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

To the extent that there is geopolitical logic to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, it's that Putin wants Russia to be a respected (feared) Great Power like it used to be under the czars and the Soviets, and the only reason it's not is because it got tricked into signing away its empire in 1989 and 1991, and the proper response to that is to reassemble the old czarist/Soviet empire, starting with countries in near-abroad that should never have fallen out of Russian control in the first place. His various wars in Chechnya and Georgia, and the 2014 annexation of Crimea, were his initial steps towards that goal, and in 2022 he believed conditions were ripe for him to take the next step, which was to invade Ukraine, occupy the country fully, and replace its western-leaning leadership with Moscow-aligned puppets. He greatly misjudged the situation, both on the ground in Ukraine (where he was told the Zelenskyy regime was a rotten shell with no real popular support, and people would welcome the re-imposition of Russian rule) and in the west (which he considered weak, divided, bought-off, and unwilling to mess with such a critical provider of fossil fuels), and he thought that a three-day operation would win him control of Ukraine as a fait accompli before the west could even begin to act, and that the effects of any sanctions would be mild and temporary (because he held Europe's economy hostage to his gas and oil exports).

It's really not that complicated or hard to figure out his thinking, it's just very, very dumb.

:haibrow: Dumb Poots also thought certain things were involatile - most notably Germany's dependance on gas (:lol::lmao: also the S-400). Dumb Poots dunning-krugered his way through geopolitics directly into a regime-ending fuckup. Now if he could just take the L and capitulate...

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

The Russian mentality vis-a-vis the West going into this war seems to be akin to someone being smugly confident they have managed to get a family to argue over who the best character in Gossip Girl is and being really surprised that the whole family drop the argument when you kick their dog.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Outcome A) win kyiv in 3 days, puppet government brings it into russian control (see crimea operation)
Outcome B) ukraine was totally incompetent as a military in 2014, so we can easily roll over them, even if we don't get kyiv instantly, we get half the country and can negotiate down to the parts we most want with their spineless government

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

While you are right, I think it's important to remember that pretty much every western military advisor was saying the same thing at the time.

The amount of resistance that the Ukrainians put up caught everyone off guard and has to be commended.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If i was Russia in the 90's I'd simply have pushed hard to become a liberal democracy with close ties to the europe and the west. Country might actually be nice by now.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

If i was Russia in the 90's I'd simply have pushed hard to become a liberal democracy with close ties to the europe and the west. Country might actually be nice by now.

:hmmno: but then you couldnt have made a hundred individuals wealthier than God

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

Have you considered that I saw an Azov battalion guy once? Check and Checkmate libcuck

Hey so did I!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

sebmojo posted:

The US engineered the invasion to advance US strategic goals because the war provides geopolitical benefits to the US.

As this was quite clear to Russia, they invaded to demonstrate their support for US interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

sebmojo posted:

Some bullshit about NATO expansion