Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, didn't even think about the fire stick... knowing my friend, that'll probably be the winner, but the info about the mini pcs is good for myself, so thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

You can get a couple different nice handhelds for under $100 that does TV out. (I never tried the feature though)

Now you get two functions!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I remember when I bought the RG350 because it had an hdmi output on it but when I got it the functionality wasn't even there. I wonder if it ever got added in (I sold it).

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

IG-88 posted:

You can get a couple different nice handhelds for under $100 that does TV out. (I never tried the feature though)

Now you get two functions!

I got one at Walmart for $9 that does tv out. it’s really not good

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, didn't even think about the fire stick... knowing my friend, that'll probably be the winner, but the info about the mini pcs is good for myself, so thanks everyone.

The latest Firestick (4K max I think) paired with any Bluetooth controller work wonders with everything that’s not n64 and Dreamcast and PlayStation. And maybe PlayStation would work but the games take up too much room.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I remember when I bought the RG350 because it had an hdmi output on it but when I got it the functionality wasn't even there. I wonder if it ever got added in (I sold it).

IIRC it was patched in on one specific version of the unofficial Rogue firmware (which had its own shortcomings) and then broken again on a subsequent version. Never worked on official firmware. (I sold mine too)

My RGB30 came in yesterday, haven’t had much time to play with it due to dad duties but the screen seems great - not just limited to “square” systems, you can really get decent results running NES/SNES at 8:7 as Russ showed in his review. And due to the screen being 4” and high res you can still get about the same size result as a 3.5” 4:3 screen for other systems. If you can accept black borders as a side effect of flexibility rather than a blight on the experience it really is a great all-rounder screen.

The plastic definitely feels PowKiddy quality rather than Anbernic though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have seen photos of people hooking up the 405m to their TV, I think the Retroid devices can do it too. I have no idea how bad the lag is.

I think both Ayn and Aya bluntered their dedicated emulation machines. They keep putting the most expensive Snapdragon or the weakest x86 chip in them. No, put a highend Mediatek dimensity soc in it so you get the best cost to performance ratio. The Odin Lite need to be its own series.

If these 2 companies can't do it, maybe Anbernic should do it themselves, make an annually updated machine for the $199-250 price range, use the best dimensity chip you can afford annually. And just get the bottons and triggers right. Also make a TV dock for it. Dock with charging connectors so you can charge wireless controllers.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 22, 2023

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Retroid Pocket 3+ has an HDMI port on the top and Bluetooth so you can use it portably or on TV.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Loki mini pro day.

8gigs / 128 storage

The case is really nice

It’s heavier than I thought it would be. The sticks and buttons feel perfect.

The white isn’t quite as white as say the ROG Ally.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo lmao when I said this thing was heavy that’s no joke.

The ROG Ally = 21.59 oz
The Steam Deck = 23.77 oz
Loki Mini Pro = 20.71 oz

It feels like a brick and very very solid but imo too heavy for a device of its size.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sammus posted:

The latest Firestick (4K max I think) paired with any Bluetooth controller work wonders with everything that’s not n64 and Dreamcast and PlayStation. And maybe PlayStation would work but the games take up too much room.

It isn't that hard to add extra USB storage to a Fire Stick you just need the right kind of USB hub to bypass power through as well since Fire Sticks for some inane reason only have one USB port(or if you don't mind spending a bit more get the cube model since it has a separate power plug alongside the USB port that the stick models have)

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have seen photos of people hooking up the 405m to their TV, I think the Retroid devices can do it too. I have no idea how bad the lag is.

I think both Ayn and Aya bluntered their dedicated emulation machines. They keep putting the most expensive Snapdragon or the weakest x86 chip in them. No, put a highend Mediatek dimensity soc in it so you get the best cost to performance ratio. The Odin Lite need to be its own series.

If these 2 companies can't do it, maybe Anbernic should do it themselves, make an annually updated machine for the $199-250 price range, use the best dimensity chip you can afford annually. And just get the bottons and triggers right. Also make a TV dock for it. Dock with charging connectors so you can charge wireless controllers.

Personally I think it's time for one of Anbernic, Powkiddy, or Retroid to make a proper in-house TV box based on their handheld devices, indeed I imagine they could shave a couple bucks off the price of the consolized version of whichever handheld they use as the basis for the internals since it would be dropping the screen, battery, and built in controls, even with costs of extra ports being added on

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The screen seems decent enough. Still sucks they go with a 1080p screen on such a small device.

The LED lighting is pretty cool though

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Aardvark Barber posted:

Retroid Pocket 3+ has an HDMI port on the top and Bluetooth so you can use it portably or on TV.

The RGB30 has the same at less than half the price. Can't run some of the higher end consoles obviously, but the RGC review had it running a Donkey Kong game with a wireless 8bitdo controller just fine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tornhelm posted:

The RGB30 has the same at less than half the price. Can't run some of the higher end consoles obviously, but the RGC review had it running a Donkey Kong game with a wireless 8bitdo controller just fine.

Exactly and even then the Retroid Pocket 2S is only slightly less powerful than the 3+ while only being about ten dollars more than the RGB30(though of course either Retroid device has the issue that they're Android devices rather than Linux so require a fair amount more fiddling to get going since the custom firmware they get isn't as good at handling all the fiddly setup for you)

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Yeah, setup was fiddly, but loving it now afterward. Being able to just suspend any game any time and just throw it in my pocket is great.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Froist posted:

My RGB30 came in yesterday, haven’t had much time to play with it due to dad duties but the screen seems great - not just limited to “square” systems, you can really get decent results running NES/SNES at 8:7 as Russ showed in his review. And due to the screen being 4” and high res you can still get about the same size result as a 3.5” 4:3 screen for other systems. If you can accept black borders as a side effect of flexibility rather than a blight on the experience it really is a great all-rounder screen.

The plastic definitely feels PowKiddy quality rather than Anbernic though.

Would you consider it a step up from a 351p? Eyeballing it as a cost effective upgrade for my stepson who's jealous of my 353m. Feel free to hold off on responding until you get more time with it

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Explosionface posted:

Froist posted:

My RGB30 came in yesterday […]

Would you consider it a step up from a 351p? Eyeballing it as a cost effective upgrade for my stepson who's jealous of my 353m. Feel free to hold off on responding until you get more time with it

That’s exactly what I’ve done to be honest - I sold my 351p to make way for this. Unfortunately I posted that yesterday so can’t do any side-by-side comparisons.

It doesn’t feel like much of an upgrade in terms of performance (won’t really open up any new systems - though your 353m has the same chip so should be familiar with what it can/can’t play), and feels more plasticky in the hands. The d-pad definitely feels softer on the diagonals too, though apparently that can be fixed with some tape on the PCB so I’ll probably open it up soon to try.

For me it’s a big quality of life upgrade because I get obsessed over screen scaling (the 351p was great for GBA and nothing else, this is so much better) and WiFi means I can sync my saves between this, my Odin and my Deck. The last part meant my 351p mostly sat on a shelf unused since I got the better handhelds, whereas I’m hoping this can be my more regular lightweight one. I should also be able to use my AirPods over Bluetooth but haven’t tried that yet.

So yeah, more of a sidegrade with definite positives (and some back steps) than a clear upgrade. It depends which aspects of your 353m he’s jealous of.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I imagine the only major difference will be that most of the 353 series handhelds can dual boot into Android and thus can do proper DS emulation and through Android get slightly better performance for some systems than they would have on Linux

But I think only having to worry about one OS instead of two will make it better for giving to a kid, not to mention one less device that can browse the internet is probably something worth keeping in mind as well

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

So I’m super sad today. My Logitech G Cloud was supposed to be here Friday, but USPS is like “uhhh do we have that? I don’t know that we have that…” it was supposed to be delivered Friday but didn’t even leave from across the country until Friday afternoon. Now they’re just saying it must be traveling somewhere and is late. No poo poo,, Sherlock.

Anyway. I ordered a screen protector which claims to be a perfect fit and I’m thinking I should get a travel case for it in case we go somewhere or if I let one of my kids take it somewhere. Recommendations?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo the g cloud was never really designed to be taken out of the house.

Streaming over cell or lovely wifi is not fun.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

If you paid full price now is your chance to cancel the order and get something else

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Photex posted:

If you paid full price now is your chance to cancel the order and get something else

Around $200 shipped.

MarcusSA posted:

Imo the g cloud was never really designed to be taken out of the house.

Streaming over cell or lovely wifi is not fun.

Mainly outside the house for emulators. Like when the kids want to go to the trampoline park and id just plop down and play something. Though we do rent a beach house a few times per year. I usually throw my series S in my duffel bag but the wife hates having games going so I’d play remotely on the g cloud on the back deck. That being said I have a really solid TMobile 5G Ultra connection on my phone and I’ve played fortnite and stuff on the phone via Xbox streaming and it’s been pretty good.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

otter posted:

so I’d play remotely on the g cloud on the back deck.

This sounds like some kind of crazy sexual euphemism

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does emudeck have a public windows installer yet? The download link seems broken if so.

It’s definitely available via their patreon but I haven’t joined that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No, it's still Patreon only as far as I can tell. The only date they have for a public release is "before 2024".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

No, it's still Patreon only as far as I can tell. The only date they have for a public release is "before 2024".

Ok that makes sense. I might have to sub to try it out for windows.

Thanks!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
god damnit analogue stop tempting me

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1706322795158741344

also where is my analogue duo :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh my. I want all the smoke.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Do I want green, smoke, or purple.

Granted they'll all be sold out in 20 seconds lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Webbeh posted:

How about having any stock of the standard versions instead of keep doing this extra limited editions every two weeks now? It's getting silly. And it's only helping scalpers.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Azubah posted:

Do I want green, smoke, or purple.

Granted they'll all be sold out in 20 seconds lol

Get the clear and paint your own color from inside the case. Go with gold.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Id be all in on the purple or red if I didn't already have one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

When the true FPGA sickos have all gotten Misters the scalpers and influencers are all Analogue has.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Webbeh posted:

oh god, I need the red one.
Your analogue duo is probably right next to mine.
I still guarantee I will have my Duo before I have my Polymega.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Webbeh posted:

Dumb question but do these things play roms or is it just for real gameboy carts?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh man those are gorgeous.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It can do Roms yeah

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They were originally supposed to play original carts only but like all Analogue devices there was a "jailbreak" released after release that totally didn't come from Analogue that enabled playing roms. Though you don't have the full feature set when playing roms.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

They were originally supposed to play original carts only but like all Analogue devices there was a "jailbreak" released after release that totally didn't come from Analogue that enabled playing roms. Though you don't have the full feature set when playing roms.

hatty posted:

It can do Roms yeah

Gotcha, thanks. Honestly as sick as these things look I'm probably just better off waiting for another retroid or anbernic to blow my money on. I can see my 353M with a fine layer of dust on it from where I currently sit, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

njsykora posted:

Why didn't they support rom officially? It's not like Target is going to carry them. What's the difference.