Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Dasgoot1/status/1706148887323718054

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taylor Swift was CONFIRMED to be dating Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce and now all the Swifties have to learn the rules of football

https://twitter.com/holygroundsound/status/1706042600556274105

https://twitter.com/mattufford/status/1706172129195241629

https://twitter.com/NFL_lovers0/status/1706079051738185756

zoux has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Sep 25, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
I'm looking forward to Swifties learning where Kansas City is.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SkeletonHero posted:

I'm looking forward to Swifties learning where Kansas City is.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
by god if she can get them to learn football she can get them to vote

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol I'd never seen this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What, pray, is the job of the "tight end" on the football team? Because it sounds like loving is involved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fat receiver.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

What, pray, is the job of the "tight end" on the football team? Because it sounds like loving is involved.

They line up on the line, but tight (right next to the other linemen) instead of wide, like the wide receivers.

They block and/or catch passes.

Also butt stuff maybe.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

zoux posted:

Fat receiver.

Short but true enough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Catch passes with your wide receiver in the tight end. Got it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

One quick Google later: lmao

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/thatsgoodweb/status/1706291788183490895?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a pro-follow account btw

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Never occurred to me until right now but a lot of fantasy creatures with human bodies and animal heads have the head at an angle it isn't normally at for that animal. Like does that alligator dude ever tilt his head to look straight up and go wow, why does this feel so much more natural?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pastoralcomical/status/1706121110457098344

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Breetai posted:

Hold the phone, fucko. It took me approximately half a second after reading this to think "but the immediately obvious negation of that sentence is "there does not presently exist a bald King of France " which it took that dumdum many sleepless nights and a tortured series of symbolic logic statements to arrive at, whatta nimrod.

I know I'm super late to the Language Chat, but I just wanted to ask if you were deliberately making a meta-joke by using "nimrod" as an insult. Nimrod, of course being a biblical figure described as a great hunter, which is why Bugs Bunny facetiously asked the viewer to "get a load of this Nimrod," referring to Elmer Fudd, a famously inept hunter. The historical reference went over the heads of most viewers, who instead assumed that "nimrod" was just another word for "dummy". and here we are.

Also Bugs Bunny is the reason we associate rabbits with carrots. His entire character was originally a reference to Clark Gable in It Happened One Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcrth90C3D4

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Sep 25, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
I've always felt like that one is partially on Nimrod for having such a stupid-sounding name. With zero context I would immediately assume it was an insult. It has the same bite and cadence as moron, dumbass, and butthorn.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

You've heard of fluffers, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SkeletonHero posted:

I've always felt like that one is partially on Nimrod for having such a stupid-sounding name. With zero context I would immediately assume it was an insult. It has the same bite and cadence as moron, dumbass, and butthorn.

Well it sounded bad rear end in Akkadian.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Occasionally social media tries to push Swift content on me (I'm guessing because she's so popular so whatever) and I have one friend who I think is a fan but I don't get it.

She's just a singer, right? Mostly pop songs about love and ex boyfriends and stuff?

Like, I get it with Beyonce and Rhianna because they're powerful black women with style in a time society desperately needs role models like that, but Taylor Swift, to me as an outsider, just seems like the most basic, generic, devoid of personality as you can get. Every picture of her I've seen is just... empty.

Or is that how she became such a phenomenon? She's a blank slate all the 30-something white women who ever had a breakup can identify with? Or should I actually listen to her music some time and is she really that good?

I guess I'm just getting old.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I know I'm super late to the Language Chat, but I just wanted to ask if you were deliberately making a meta-joke by using "nimrod" as an insult. Nimrod, of course being a biblical figure described as a great hunter, which is why Bugs Bunny facetiously asked the viewer to "get a load of this Nimrod," referring to Elmer Fudd, a famously inept hunter. The historical reference went over the heads of most viewers, who instead assumed that "nimrod" was just another word for "dummy". and here we are.

Interestingly, Bugs Bunny never called Fudd a nimrod. The original hunter reference with Fudd is in What Makes Daffy Duck, said by Daffy Duck. Bugs does use it once to refer to Yosemite Sam years later in a more offhand way. Somehow everyone has mandela'd it into Bugs saying it in the Fudd context.

Apparently there is also some further discussion over it's origin use as an insult, there are a number of pre-Looney Tunes uses of it that already seem to be sliding in context, but I think you can definitely say that the cartoon usage gives it its big shift. Language is weird.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Occasionally social media tries to push Swift content on me (I'm guessing because she's so popular so whatever) and I have one friend who I think is a fan but I don't get it.

She's just a singer, right? Mostly pop songs about love and ex boyfriends and stuff?

Like, I get it with Beyonce and Rhianna because they're powerful black women with style in a time society desperately needs role models like that, but Taylor Swift, to me as an outsider, just seems like the most basic, generic, devoid of personality as you can get. Every picture of her I've seen is just... empty.

Or is that how she became such a phenomenon? She's a blank slate all the 30-something white women who ever had a breakup can identify with? Or should I actually listen to her music some time and is she really that good?

I guess I'm just getting old.

part of being old is not getting things that you've never tried and never will, judge them, and then share your opinion. Embrace it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zoux posted:

Well it sounded bad rear end in Akkadian.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Also don’t give carrots to rabbits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lobok posted:

Never occurred to me until right now but a lot of fantasy creatures with human bodies and animal heads have the head at an angle it isn't normally at for that animal. Like does that alligator dude ever tilt his head to look straight up and go wow, why does this feel so much more natural?

Alligators are not normally bipedal, and the head doesn't work so good if it's pointing straight out of the top of the torso on a bipedal animal.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

OwlFancier posted:

Alligators are not normally bipedal

*pounds fists on table*

Show me the abnormal alligator!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

freeedr posted:

Also don’t give carrots to rabbits.

For those not in the know, the entire reason people think rabbits like carrots is because Bugs was satirizing Clark Cable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWMOt11ceU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Taeke posted:

Or should I actually listen to her music some time and is she really that good?

This is a collaboration with Bon Iver that she was the songwriter on.

https://youtu.be/osdoLjUNFnA?si=_8Urj0a4OCdEQsu2

It was kindof of the line where she went from: this is empty to oh there is some substance here.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Ror posted:

Interestingly, Bugs Bunny never called Fudd a nimrod. The original hunter reference with Fudd is in What Makes Daffy Duck, said by Daffy Duck.

Holy gently caress you're right. This is what I get for posting first thing in the morning. I feel like such an rear end now, with pushing-my-glasses-up-my-nose "ACTUALLY" bullshit.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Taeke posted:

Or should I actually listen to her music some time and is she really that good?

She has a lot of good songs but I don't think that us olds are ever really going to get what drives her fanbase.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Bunch of dark WB revisionist history itt and I'm here for it

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Taeke posted:

Occasionally social media tries to push Swift content on me (I'm guessing because she's so popular so whatever)
I'm seeing a lot more Swift content in my feed and I expect it's mostly due to an expensive hype machine. There is so much Content out there that it's hard to get anyone to try new stuff, so marketing leans on making something look more popular than it is, and then you'll maybe try it because of FOMO. And if it appears to come from actual fans, that feels more trustworthy than a straight up advertisement. So I suspect (without evidence) that 80% of the Swift content you see is just astroturfed marketing and you should treat it as such. No judgement on Swift's talent / music / show, it's just marketing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Taeke posted:

She's a blank slate all the 30-something white women who ever had a breakup can identify with? Or should I actually listen to her music some time and is she really that good?

Both, tbh. She is talented and good, but she's also the Ur-White-Millennial-Woman, the physical manifestation of their collective unconscious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's currently on tour and it's like the most successful tour of all time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also fandom has become somewhat of a competitive sport with people trying to one up each other with how insanely dedicated they are to a person or K-pop group so there's a huge performative element that wouldn't exist without social media.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

minato posted:

I'm seeing a lot more Swift content in my feed and I expect it's mostly due to an expensive hype machine. There is so much Content out there that it's hard to get anyone to try new stuff, so marketing leans on making something look more popular than it is, and then you'll maybe try it because of FOMO. And if it appears to come from actual fans, that feels more trustworthy than a straight up advertisement. So I suspect (without evidence) that 80% of the Swift content you see is just astroturfed marketing and you should treat it as such. No judgement on Swift's talent / music / show, it's just marketing.

lol what in the world

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SimonChris posted:

For those not in the know, the entire reason people think rabbits like carrots is because Bugs was satirizing Clark Cable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWMOt11ceU

Oh word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kazil posted:

lol what in the world

Which part of that are you taking umbrage with? The marketing machine behind Swift any anyone of her ilk is absolutely gargantuan, and social media marketing techniques are insidious and underhanded.