Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Anyone introduce babies to dogs and vice versa? Mine came home today and he's on edge

My dog is super bad with strangers and she had no issues meeting our kids. She accepted them as family almost implicitly -- I think she understands the concept of reproduction and was able to figure out that was what happened. Not every dog is gonna react the same way ofc

She actually mostly ignored both kids for the first few weeks -- I think studiously ignoring other people's young is dog manners of some sort, to show you're not a threat to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
All my animals either love my baby or completely ignore her.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife had read that a good way to introduce a dog to a baby is to let it sniff some of the baby's clothes first, but our dog was so focused on being excited we were home from the hospital that she didn't actually sniff the baby hat we were waving at her. She didn't notice there was a third person in the house at all until like two hours later when the baby made an unfamiliar type of noise.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
dogs ftw

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
babies ftw

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

HootTheOwl posted:

Anyone introduce babies to dogs and vice versa? Mine came home today and he's on edge

My Chihuahua (rip) protected kid 1 and would nip us if he was crying and we tried to help. My mutt with kid 2 was stressed and started peeing in the house, so yeah the dogs need attention and reassurance for sure.

Day 1

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
our dog subtly herded the toddlers into a corner whenever there were strangers in the house

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think he's jealous. He starts growling when she makes noises if my wife is holding her and doesn't care if I am

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
drat, lots of cute dogs in the thread

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

drat, lots of cute dogs in the thread

Our dog is a monster who tries to kill me every day but is protective of the 5 week old, so in conclusion jack russell terriers are a land of contrasts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

loquacius posted:

She actually mostly ignored both kids for the first few weeks -- I think studiously ignoring other people's young is dog manners of some sort, to show you're not a threat to them

I think there's a good chance that "not ignoring other people's kids" is a trait that was mostly removed from the dog gene pool over the last few thousand years

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

bitmap posted:

so I have a 3yo and a 1yo. for the goons with older kids, when does this get a bit easier? I mean...when they go to school, right?

We have two boys, 2 and 5. They've started playing together inside and out. Sometimes they'll entertain each other for half an hour or an hour in the mornings. Shits boss as hell.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Baby got sick for the first time, at least in part because the toddler wouldn't stop trying to kiss his face with her preschool cold. Worst night of sleep in months.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, sorry they're gonna be sick for the next 15 months.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Struensee posted:

this memorize their medicine dosage levels now, and prepare for when it’s the croup and their temperature spikes to 106 faster than you think possible.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
man getting to the chewable stage made it so much easier

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Babies getting sick is no joke :( I take it ultra serious now bc kid 2 was in the hospital for a week from RSV. We postponed meeting our friends newborn for months bc someone always had the sniffles.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just asked my six year old if Batman is short for "bathroom man" and he got surprisingly angry at this line of questioning.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Struensee posted:

The main problem is that everyone in the house except me is sick, and the sickest one is my wife, leaving me to do a lot of solo sick parenting. We watched two Disney movies and played a few hours of Mario Odyssey today

Hoping I don't get that sick tomorrow, it's the first day of my new job

Hope everybody sleeps better tonight too. Baby has stirred a couple times but we've been teaching him to settle himself at least some of the time and he's been able to do that so far (fingers crossed)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just asked my six year old if Batman is short for "bathroom man" and he got surprisingly angry at this line of questioning.

that’s the kind of poo poo that yeah your kid is going ask you to leave. I’ve done poo poo like that to see what would happen and it’s usually pure annoyance.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Update: he's had to be resettled twice since bedtime now and it's 9 pm. I'm hosed

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid has the opposite inclination, she'd go BATHROOM MAN and start laughing! And depending on your reaction that might just become his name from that point on

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

that's how you got into this mess in the first place

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

we’ve firmly entered the *gestures with entire hand palm up* wats dis??? phase. caught my attention when she started saying it infrequently, but now it’s drat near constant. luckily coming up with toddler grokkable and not too far off explanations is pretty fun.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

hosed around & Found out

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

Update: he's had to be resettled twice since bedtime now and it's 9 pm. I'm hosed

Hi hosed I'm dad!

Baby is about to go restart daycare after being sick last week. I just hope he only gets a runny nose this time...
Meanwhile, the 6 year old visited a classmate for the first time yesterday, unplanned even. And it was a huge success, I didn't even have to be there, they just went right into it together. They were both completely wasted afterwards, but that was kinda expected. I hope I can get them more comfortable with it, because I know these two are gonna be my Twilight Imperium group in 10 years.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lately I find myself responding to my older son's bonkers requests with "buddy...." and every time I do it I think of the dril tweet

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

loquacius posted:

The main problem is that everyone in the house except me is sick, and the sickest one is my wife, leaving me to do a lot of solo sick parenting. We watched two Disney movies and played a few hours of Mario Odyssey today

Hoping I don't get that sick tomorrow, it's the first day of my new job

Hope everybody sleeps better tonight too. Baby has stirred a couple times but we've been teaching him to settle himself at least some of the time and he's been able to do that so far (fingers crossed)

I had a dad come in with his kids some years back because they all had the flu. Mom was away on business. Yep, sorry buddy, that sucks. You'll get through it, but it won't be any fun. I'm pretty sure I decided on no more than two kids on one of those sleepless nights a year or two ago.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I used to troll my older kid with weird puns like this when he was little and now he is 12 and I am reaping the whirlwind.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Been reading about how children are essentially incapable of correctly deducing the etymology of compound words until they're like 8

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ikanreed posted:

Been reading about how children are essentially incapable of correctly deducing the etymology of compound words until they're like 8

Dummies

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ikanreed posted:

I dunno about etymology, but I have noticed my son has a hard time reading compound words. "Somehow" will throw him for a loop, but if I cover up the "how" he can get "Some" fine, and likewise if I cover up "Some" he can get the "how" fine. Smash 'em together and he's stumped.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

me? I deduce etymology all the time. pathetic.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

skill issue

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Judgy Fucker posted:

I dunno about etymology, but I have noticed my son has a hard time reading compound words. "Somehow" will throw him for a loop, but if I cover up the "how" he can get "Some" fine, and likewise if I cover up "Some" he can get the "how" fine. Smash 'em together and he's stumped.

yeah, we don't have to sound them out because we aren't really reading them letter for letter. we're so used to the component words we just recognize the whole thing by sight and don't have to decide where the break is

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I mean, you could cover up the "me" and I bet he could read the "so how."

Language is dumb. Kids are correct.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Yes? Literally?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
my six year old can do it easily maybe be a better teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My six year old just wrote down a recipe for frying eels.
It was copied word for word from a TV show