Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Slyphic posted:

From my notes on the game:

Oof, that sounds brutal to work through, what a shame as the rest of the system sounds quite good. Is ESR broadly the same scale as Blucher? I've been interested in picking up something operational and am wondering if that might be a better bet. Helps it's available in pdf as well where ESR3 is only in hardback for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

INinja132 posted:

Oof, that sounds brutal to work through, what a shame as the rest of the system sounds quite good. Is ESR broadly the same scale as Blucher?
I'd say so, considering the guy running the ESR game had to swap label tabs on a few stands while setting up because they had Blucher notation on them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slyphic posted:

resolve a morale check for each unit with roll and table and careful repositioning of the unit in 1 of ~6 states, AND THEN you roll morale and disposition for the entire company and if you fail, all that careful positioning and unit state doesn't matter as the entire force falls back in a route.
Does it fall back from the position it occupied at the start of the fight or the position you've wiggled it to afterwards? If it's just "remove the stand" then yeah, change the order of operations there for sure.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Goonhammer did a review of ESR this week, haven't read it because I don't care about Napoleonics, but might be your thing

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-review-et-sans-resultat-series-3/

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Arquinsiel posted:

Does it fall back from the position it occupied at the start of the fight or the position you've wiggled it to afterwards? If it's just "remove the stand" then yeah, change the order of operations there for sure.

That's the battalion combat resolution table. You resolve all the combat base-by-base with individual positioning, BUT THEN, you assess those states collectively and get one of these outcomes. Half the outcomes I saw during the two rounds of combat in the demo I played had all that careful positioning rendered meaningless because the whole division had to be picked up and rearranged.

quote:

https://thewargamingcompany.com/combat-changes/
The Combat Resolution Step of the Combat Phase from ESR Second Edition has been replaced with the Threat Step.

Unlike in ESR Second Edition where players roll for each individual Unit-level Combat Resolution, in ESR Series 3 Threat Assessment is performed in a batch process where two opposing Formations add up their respective circumstantial factors and compare them. The results are then applied at the Formation level, but still have implications for individual Units.

OH, cool, they trashed that poo poo! Alright, that's got my attention in a big way. I wonder if I can get an upgrade discount for my prize book.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 25, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Fuuuuuck measuring in yards. Give me arbitrary units of blorpos, something I can just declare to be the length of coffee stirrer or whatever.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Arquinsiel posted:

Fuuuuuck measuring in yards. Give me arbitrary units of blorpos, something I can just declare to be the length of coffee stirrer or whatever.

It's not as bad as it seems there. The game publishes QRF sheets for 6/10/15mm scale, and all of those have the distances in inches. There was no mention of yards nor sign of them at the table.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
For those of you not on the TFL forums or Goonhammer, I posted the next turn of our play-through of the Totensonntag PSC for Chain of Command:
https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-playing-a-chain-of-command-campaign-part-6-attack-on-brigade-hq/

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Ilor posted:

For those of you not on the TFL forums or Goonhammer, I posted the next turn of our play-through of the Totensonntag PSC for Chain of Command:
https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-playing-a-chain-of-command-campaign-part-6-attack-on-brigade-hq/

Glad to see it return! I'm enjoying the narrative writing a lot.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

finished the Sarissa-Precision hillfort last night for ancients/dark ages

by far the easiest MDF project I have ever done, I am happy with the result

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, I will say I largely know about the more annoying vets at the club because they never shut up about it. Wholly possible there were others there who just didn't feel the need to tell me why every game they lost wouldn't have gone that way in real life.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

spectralent posted:

Yeah, I will say I largely know about the more annoying vets at the club because they never shut up about it. Wholly possible there were others there who just didn't feel the need to tell me why every game they lost wouldn't have gone that way in real life.

Also that guy always turns out to be a logistics tech or cook. I definitely say this without very specific people in mind that I used to play with. I worked under a guy for three years that never stopped telling me how I'd never have survived in the army. He was a huge rear end in a top hat and I never wanted to fight with my boss so I never told him I was in. Dude was an electrical tech and told stories like he was an operator.

I wish I had advice for dealing with them, but I think the best move is always to not engage with them at all.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

alg posted:

finished the Sarissa-Precision hillfort last night for ancients/dark ages

by far the easiest MDF project I have ever done, I am happy with the result

This rules, and I always love seeing Footsore’s Dark Age minis

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Virtual Russian posted:

I wish I had advice for dealing with them, but I think the best move is always to not engage with them at all.

"Army? Never heard of it. Now back to the game."

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cessna posted:

"Army? Never heard of it. Now back to the game."

May I propose one step further for this thread? "Politics? Never heard of it. Now back to the game."

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Southern Heel posted:

May I propose one step further for this thread? "Politics? Never heard of it. Now back to the game."

Nah, No Politics At The Gaming Table generally leads to a tacit endorsement of incredibly bad politics.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lumbermouth posted:

Nah, No Politics At The Gaming Table generally leads to a tacit endorsement of incredibly bad politics.

everyone who isnt me unfortunately has incredibly bad politics.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Southern Heel posted:

I'll not waver in my vocal support for Bonaparte!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

I'll not waver in my vocal support for Bonaparte!

même but unironically

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've been playing Raven Feast with my partner lately and I've not seen anyone else talk about it outside of the comments section on the youtube channel of the guys who made it. Has anyone else played it? It's pretty simple but fun enough and it's a nice mid-step between getting a full bunch of SAGA mans together.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Lumbermouth posted:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lumbermouth posted:

This is 100% the case.

Dude rolling in groypers flashing OK signs and talking about race realism, "heroes on both sides," and clean wehrmacht : not political.

Calling him out: political.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

This is 100% the case.

Being anything other than a straight white guy = political.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SpaceViking posted:

Glad to see it return! I'm enjoying the narrative writing a lot.
Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

spectralent posted:

I've been playing Raven Feast with my partner lately and I've not seen anyone else talk about it outside of the comments section on the youtube channel of the guys who made it. Has anyone else played it? It's pretty simple but fun enough and it's a nice mid-step between getting a full bunch of SAGA mans together.

I enjoyed the Little Wars TV episodes where they played it but I haven’t played it myself.

Blood Raven is my go-to for small skirmishes in the Viking period, but I’ll have to check out Raven Feast

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

who's the publisher on that? Blood Raven just gets me the 40k guys.

Endman
May 18, 2010

spectralent posted:

who's the publisher on that? Blood Raven just gets me the 40k guys.

Sorry that’s my bad, it’s actually Blood Eagle and apparently there’s a second edition just around the corner according to the developer’s blog: https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/category/blood-eagle/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

Haven't tried it as SAGA is pretty much the go-to game for the period around here. But from the battle report video I've seen it sounds like a great introduction into historicals.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I just realised I've been playing One Hour Wargames wrong!

Neil Thomas (author) suggests the mechanics are that units have 15hp, and attacks cause 1D6-2, 1D6, or 1D6+2 damage. Sometimes the overall result is halved, sometimes it is doubled. For example: a WW1 British Vickers-equipped gun shooting at Germans advancing in cover would get 1D6+2, doubled due the firepower, then halved for firing into cover (rounding up). This is a fine and simple mechanism, but it does mean you're counting up to 15's across 4-8 units per side which isn't all that straight forward.

Springfield Fatts linked me to an article which I didn't read properly, and this is what I want to point out:

The article proposes three solutions to reduce the amount of hits a unit can take (and thus make it easier to track). Common to all systems, rather than modifiers for the dice roll you instead roll more/fewer dice but each with a 'to-hit' threshold, rather than as a raw 'damage roll' number. The three options presented are as follows:

1. Units have 5hp, roll 1, 2 or 3D6 and need 4+ to cause a hit. Double or halve the resulting successes as required. You can use a D6 to track casualties.
2. Units have 6hp, roll 1,2 or 3D6 and need 3+ to cause a hit. Double or halve the resulting successes as required. This is to better match the probability curve of the original system. You can use a D6 to track casualties.
3. Units have 3hp, roll 1,2, or 3D6 and need 5+ to cause a hit. Doubling and halving instead gives a modifier of either +2 to hit or -1 to hit. You now only need a 1-damage token and a 2-damage token - which can be represented by casualty figures or chips.

I always went straight for Number 3 because I liked the idea of casualty markers on the board and a system more aligned to those I grew up with - but I forgot/didn't read that I should be using the 1/2/3D6 rolls as a base, I'd been doing everything as 3D6!!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 28, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm sure it's not that often, but I feel like every time I see someone thanking Kaptain Kobold it's because they suggested some little mechanic that saves a lot of hassle compared to the way they had been doing things.

Thanks, Kaptain. Thaptain.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo yeah if you were doing everything at 3d6 then things would've been getting mulched pretty quickly. Good catch.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

first group of Gallic/Briton Warriors. I know almost nothing about ancients except that Infamy Infamy is a great game, and I am reading some stuff now. nevertheless, all criticisms will slide off me like the blood of my slain Roman enemies

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

No those look sick and you're completely correct to paint them vivid colours. Everyone loved dyes.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm starting to experiment with moving some of my wargaming down from 28mm to smaller scales. I wanted to get an idea on what basing schemes are popular. How do you all like to base your 6mm-15mm minis for mass battle games?

It looks like at 15mm scale a lot of people go with either 40x20mm bases or 40x40 square bases for their minis, I'm guessing because it is flexible in terms of formation changes.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm starting to experiment with moving some of my wargaming down from 28mm to smaller scales. I wanted to get an idea on what basing schemes are popular. How do you all like to base your 6mm-15mm minis for mass battle games?

It looks like at 15mm scale a lot of people go with either 40x20mm bases or 40x40 square bases for their minis, I'm guessing because it is flexible in terms of formation changes.

I did lots of experiments and ended up on 40x20 with either two or three bases per unit and personally that’s a fantastic balance for me (I am modelling in 10mm so it’s 2x6 infantry or 2x2 cavalry per base

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Class Warcraft posted:

What period are you going for? Anything pre-musket can follow the same scheme, it's only once you start getting into pike & shot or later you have to start thinking about formations and poo poo like that. I started with the 40x20 route when I didn't have a large play space but since moving I've gone over to the Big Base DBA System as it has a little more spectacle without a ton more models.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Do 20x20 and be able to adapt to any ruleset 😈

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

What period are you going for? Anything pre-musket can follow the same scheme, it's only once you start getting into pike & shot or later you have to start thinking about formations and poo poo like that. I started with the 40x20 route when I didn't have a large play space but since moving I've gone over to the Big Base DBA System as it has a little more spectacle without a ton more models.

Right now I'm leaning towards Samurai in 15mm, or possibly 6mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

I don’t know - 2 bases off pike one infront of each other with one base of muskets either side seems like it would fit the paradigm? I would argue that horse and musket is potentially more difficult because to form square you really need four bases per battalia/battlalion?

I'm reluctant to go DBA-BB because I'm an absolute butterfly when it comes to eras and systems!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 30, 2023