Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Aphrodite posted:

The broken end is in the box, along with a piece to connect two together. They're just underneath the tray the saber is in.

Ah, okay. I knew they had those pieces - I've seen them in the parks - I always just assumed they'd charge more for them because *gestures broadly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I have the Cal lightsaber. I’ve been wanting to mount it to the wall, but got no idea what to use because it’s a heavy mofo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fartington Butts posted:

I have the Cal lightsaber. I’ve been wanting to mount it to the wall, but got no idea what to use because it’s a heavy mofo.

You're not kidding. Comparison:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That passholder ESPN dome sales event was ADHD hell for me
Like two Walmarts took a dump on mean people lapping it up
Hated being there

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nanigans posted:

That sounds cool. I was looking for some of the new parts they've added as "scrap metal," but apparently the parks don't sell them separately any more.

Do you know of any reputable places to buy pieces like that? I wouldn't mind updating my personal saber a bit.

I think the scrap metal thing was a way to get rid of the extra first-gen Savi's parts before they rolled out the new options. I went shortly after they started doing the second-gen builds and they told me antenna scrap metal wasn't an option anymore. Which stinks because some of the new pieces look pretty rad.

So maybe three or so years down the road we'll see it pop up again.

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're not kidding. Comparison:

lmao goddamn

just keep it under your bed for home defense :cop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They never sold the extra V1 pieces at WDW when V2 came out either. That was only DLR for a couple of days.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hazo posted:

lmao goddamn

just keep it under your bed for home defense :cop:

It's heavy enough that you could actually bludgeon someone to death with it. Hypothetically. In Minecraft.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Just got off Tron a few minutes ago. It was crazy fun. Very smooth. It’s what Space Mountain wishes it was.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Thanks for the tip on talking to guest relations. They offered to refund the unused days or to transfer them into some future tickets with no expiration. Wasn't expecting them to do any of that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

does anyone wear earplugs in lines/etc? I am looking to try this trip

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

alg posted:

I used to wear gun range headphones at Disney because of the noise, but now that I’m medicated for anxiety I can usually get away with AirPods as long as I’ve taken them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

I brought some last trip but spotted me from 30-odd years ago having an ASD meltdown to the fireworks and gave them to him instead after clearing it with his parents. He seemed to find them useful at least :unsmith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Orty posted:

Thanks for the tip on talking to guest relations. They offered to refund the unused days or to transfer them into some future tickets with no expiration. Wasn't expecting them to do any of that.

GR is magic. if you are nice to them, they will kill the moon for you and bring back its delicious, ripe cheeses on a mickey-shaped plate. If they have the button to make it happen, it will happen for you.

alg posted:

I don't because imagine me not talking my head off to someone, ever, given an opportunity. But I've seen tons of folks with just basic general earbuds in with a good bluetooth connection to their phone and recordings to help deaden the crowd noise.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Are all resorts with skyline access created equal? Thinking about a December trip and Pop Century qualifies as discounted right now and it has skyliner access.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Equal? No. Worth the difference in price and/or convenience? That’s kind of up to you.

I don’t think your trip would be ruined by selecting Pop Century if that’s what you’re asking. Some people here prefer it, if I remember correctly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pop Century is great, and the cost to upgrade to the other resorts on the line is not worth it

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GordonComstock posted:

Are all resorts with skyline access created equal? Thinking about a December trip and Pop Century qualifies as discounted right now and it has skyliner access.

If you want a magical sparkly Disney vacation type hotel, you won't get it at Pop. If you're totally down with your average Comfort Inn/Hampton Inn "we're on a normal vacation anywhere" with Disney touches and Disney-level service, Pop is absolutely great for you. It IS motel style so the doors open directly outside instead of into an interior hall, but having seen it compared to motel 6 because of that, I feel it's unfair, Pop is perfectly nice for a hotel. But it is a hotel, not a resort-style feel like some of the moderate and almost all of the deluxe stays on WDW property.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've always felt that if you plan on actually taking a day or two to lounge around and relax, then you'd benefit from a nicer Disney hotel. If you're going to out at the parks all day, every day, and only using the hotel for sleeping, then the "cheap" resorts are perfectly fine.

Pop is significantly better than All Star - it typically doesn't have large school groups or tour groups staying at it, and Skyliner access with quick access to two of the four parks is extremely worth it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've always felt that if you plan on actually taking a day or two to lounge around and relax, then you'd benefit from a nicer Disney hotel. If you're going to out at the parks all day, every day, and only using the hotel for sleeping, then the "cheap" resorts are perfectly fine.

Caveat to this is that nicer resorts tend to have better and more varied transportation options and/or less crowded transportation which can make all the difference when it's the end of the night post fireworks and you're leaving MK to be greeted with a bus line that's longer than the one you waited in for 7 dwarves

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

Caveat to this is that nicer resorts tend to have better and more varied transportation options and/or less crowded transportation which can make all the difference when it's the end of the night post fireworks and you're leaving MK to be greeted with a bus line that's longer than the one you waited in for 7 dwarves

Also true. I always recommend any of the hotels that have transportation options to the parks beyond the buses. I would never recommend All Star to anyone because your only option is buses and they’re usually packed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The All Stars are a massive step up from any of the off-property hotels. Sure you might be standing on a bus for half an hour, but that's better than leaving the parks before the fireworks to get into a shared shuttle that might get you home before midnight. Which you will also be standing on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is HHN really horrible this year or are people just insanely broke dealing with the truth that it’s expensive af to go no matter when

(Although 200 express pass is loving insane)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Btw I’m not shaming anyone HHN is insane in it’s pricing but I’m wondering if all the complaints i see in random algorithms driven Instagram reels are legit about how the event is vs people who didn’t do it the expensive way (only way)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
HHN crowds were insane last year and are worse this year. If you are only doing one night you absolutely need the expensive Express Pass to see everything and even then, most of your night will be spent in the lines.

It sucks because they have found a formula that prints them money, but it’s reached a point where anyone with a one night only pass and no Express is probably going to have a bad time.

Arquinsiel posted:

The All Stars are a massive step up from any of the off-property hotels. Sure you might be standing on a bus for half an hour, but that's better than leaving the parks before the fireworks to get into a shared shuttle that might get you home before midnight. Which you will also be standing on.

Also true, though if you’re not staying at a Disney resort then I wouldn’t ever suggest it without a rental or your own transportation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had express last year and did every house + rides. It was cool. But idk it didn’t feel any better or worse than any year.

I just see more people complaining about this year

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Prices went up a good bit and I've heard nothing but horror stories this year about crowds and how little even express passes are getting done in a night.

Heard it's a pretty good year for the houses though.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I would counterpoint the transportation thing in one way. We stayed at French Quarter and Pop Century both for a week within a six month time period and due to sheer number of guests at Pop there were soooo many buses coming and going from that resort. Compared to FQ where we regularly waited 20+ minutes for buses.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 26, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't have Express, it's really not a good experience. It used to be (like ~4 to 5 years ago and earlier) that if you went on Sunday, Wednesday, or Thursday night, the lines for the houses averaged around 45 minutes or less. Especially in the earlier weeks of the event like the entirety of September. Now, 70-90 minutes for the houses is common even on those nights. The exception was 2021 as covid protocols were still in effect and less people went.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So it’s just people just reaping and realizing the unfortunate truth

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

So it’s just people just reaping and realizing the unfortunate truth

Well another issue is the Frequent Fear Pass. The cheapest one gets you 30 event nights and is valid Sunday-Thursday. a huge faction of the Orlando area has decided that they must hang out at HHN as many nights as possible and most of them buy this pass. I personally don't think the passes should be a thing or should include as many nights as it does, as it just jams up the event with people hanging out there every night. They of course will never get rid of this cash flow though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

alg posted:

I grew up with very sensitive hearing, and I highly recommend these, which I wear to movies, concerts, etc: https://a.co/d/5nsJ63r

They're more balanced than foam drugstore earplugs which block out a lot of treble and sound ultra bassy. Yes, they're expensive, but you keep them clean and store them when not needed.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think the other thing with HHN is that from what I’ve been reading, they’re really making an effort to space people out this year which kills capacity.

Great if you dropped the coin for express to enjoy the houses, lovely if you didn’t.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah with express I had every house done by 9:30 (and I had theee houses I could’ve done again, because I didn’t use express on a five minute wait).

I used to be a hardcore frequent fear pass person, but a 90 minute drive, a two year old, and a non-Disney salary meant this year I did Unmasking the Horror, and a single night of express and called it a year.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Coasterphreak posted:

I think the other thing with HHN is that from what I’ve been reading, they’re really making an effort to space people out this year which kills capacity.

Great if you dropped the coin for express to enjoy the houses, lovely if you didn’t.

I would love if like one night a week they charged more, let less people in, and you had to reserve it ala Not So Scary, but you were guaranteed shorter lines and to be pulsed through in groups.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If you don't have Express, it's really not a good experience. It used to be (like ~4 to 5 years ago and earlier) that if you went on Sunday, Wednesday, or Thursday night, the lines for the houses averaged around 45 minutes or less. Especially in the earlier weeks of the event like the entirety of September. Now, 70-90 minutes for the houses is common even on those nights. The exception was 2021 as covid protocols were still in effect and less people went.

The answer is to lower single day admission prices and raise the pass prices. You make it so people are disincentivizedt get the FFP/ROF passes if they're only doing three days. Right now, if you're doing three days at HHN in a week, you're better off just getting FFP or ROF depending on when you're going. I really don't think they made the passes expensive enough for how much many days you get.

Another thing is every vlogger on the planet talks about the 'hacks' for HHN (Weekdays, after 10 express being discounted, etc) so these things are just known by everyone and anyone. It's not just that weekdays are busier, they're busier LATER. When I went down for a few days of week 3, I was floored by how loving packed that place was at 130am on a WEDNESDAY. I'm out of town mind you so I don't have to work or anything like that, but if there's that many people there that late on a weekday, you've got a lot of people traveling in for and doing 3-5 nights, which goes back to my point above.

The final problem is just Stranger Things. Nothing brings out the normies like Stranger Things. Pretty much the biggest franchise possible for HHN and it drives a ton of traffic. Add in TLOU and Chucky and you've got a ton of people who come in just to see those IP houses.

Coasterphreak posted:

The layout is definitely a huge problem. Everything is so spread out that it's very hard to hit a house when it may not be busy. By the time you see that a wait drop has dropped, you're already too late. In years past, you might try to eyeball the lines to see how backed up they are but now every line with the exception of Chucky and Exorcist is almost fully hidden. If I see that Oddfellow or Darkest Deal has a relatively low wait and I'm in the NY corner or god forbid Blood Moon, by the time you get there it'll be fully backed up. Also, there's literally no food back by TLOU/Oddfellow/Darkest Deal which means all that foot traffic is being driven back up the upper end of the park (or at the very least to Pizza Fries). I probably ran Exorcist and Yeti so many times because I was eating food and it was an easy way to not rush. Just eat and drink while Im slowly trudging along.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
HHN is very crowded, and there isn't really a way to combat that and keep doing things they way they like to (which makes them more money)

However, I will say 10 haunted houses does spread out the crowd more than one might think. They seriously overpost the wait times. Often times a wait time that seems ludicrous is really less than an hour. On the flip side sometimes they don't recover well when the wait time is reflected more accurately so you may see a wait time that is 30 minutes and wait an hour. Really depends on the time of night.

The best advice for the event without Express is still come early stay late. Being there at park open (or at Stay and Scream if you can manage it, either through an AP or purchasing their early entry add-on) can get at least one or two of the big houses out of the way before the event gets really crowded, then the same is true for the last hour or two. A lot of people will filter out because it's busy or because they did what they intended, and wait times will drop.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

HHN is very crowded, and there isn't really a way to combat that and keep doing things they way they like to (which makes them more money)

However, I will say 10 haunted houses does spread out the crowd more than one might think. They seriously overpost the wait times. Often times a wait time that seems ludicrous is really less than an hour. On the flip side sometimes they don't recover well when the wait time is reflected more accurately so you may see a wait time that is 30 minutes and wait an hour. Really depends on the time of night.

The best advice for the event without Express is still come early stay late. Being there at park open (or at Stay and Scream if you can manage it, either through an AP or purchasing their early entry add-on) can get at least one or two of the big houses out of the way before the event gets really crowded, then the same is true for the last hour or two. A lot of people will filter out because it's busy or because they did what they intended, and wait times will drop.

You're dead on with the wait times. When it seems like a wait might get bad, they overpost it to try to deter people. There was an actual nightmare scenario for a house like, week 3 on Wednesday. Something funky happened with the Oddfellow line, it dumped it into 'virtual line', which Orlando doesn't use, but then it reset the wait to 10 minutes. This is one of the few times I can say I walked by as that post happened so this wasn't a case of me being late to the party. Even if I was a bit late, there was no chance for the buildup that was there to occur. I stepped into what was a 30 minute wait already, and then watched the horde come behind as the line backed up all the way to the entrance. I have eyeballs so I knew it was a system glitch that messed it up, but this was one of the few times where the posted was way lower than the actual.

I need to stress that I'm not normal and I'm an engineer by trait so my brain is wired to look for inefficiencies and try to solve for them. My no express advice is start stay and scream at TLOU specifically as its the house with the second highest posted. From there rotate as you see fit monsters > oddfellow (longer overall queue line) > darkest deal, then migrate. If there's favorable queues up at the top start there, but walk by Chucky first because if you can't physically see the line outside, it's sub 15 minutes. I honestly feel the best time to try and queue for ST4 is 6:30-7:00pm. Every house is open by them, the stay and scream folks for TLOU and ST4 have filed through. You may find a shorter time, but most people who really want that house first are gonna show up for stay and scream. My advice is rooted in the one day I did stay and scream at NY (Lined up at 4:00), I still wasn't out of ST4 until about 5:45 so there wasn't much of an advantage to it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Akileese posted:

The final problem is just Stranger Things. Nothing brings out the normies like Stranger Things. Pretty much the biggest franchise possible for HHN and it drives a ton of traffic.
I think this is the only thing that'd make me actually bother to go take a look TBH. As much as I've largely stopped caring about horror in the last decade or so I really enjoy that show and would enjoy poking around a nice set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arquinsiel posted:

I suppose this is where I shill for the Good Neighbor hotels again, then?

Because seriously, if you're planning on doing an All-Star, there's really no good reason to not just go Good Neighbor and get way more hotel for a lot less money. They're on Disney property and the only perk you lose out on is access to the Disney bus lines, but in return for that, you get uncrowded shuttles that run promptly every hour, so... oh darn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Neighbor is a far looser thing. You're thinking of what they call "Disney Springs Resort Area Hotels".

Good Neighbors have shuttles, but they can (and will) have lovely schedules where they probably have the final one too early. The Disney Springs ones have the hourly shuttle. Plus they're all walkable from Disney Springs so you also have the option of using Disney's stuff to get there then just walk.

If you really want to save money stay at like... the Rosen behind the McDonalds and use $7 Lyfts back and forth.