Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, the X-factor was mental fortitude - Tokushoryu was visibly more relaxed and most importantly did not overcommit in his final match of the Jan 2020 basho against Takakeisho.

It helped that he didn't have to take a loss earlier in the day too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Honestly I thought that Taco Queso was going to henka him not only because in retrospect that Atamifuji was deeply in his own head, but because he has about ten seconds of stamina before he starts to tire out and his odds of losing go up dramatically. He'd just fought and was delaying because he was still winded from fighting earlier and if Atamifuji actually took him on, he'd have maybe six to eight seconds of real fighting before Taco Queso would be completely gassed, if that.

Queso is what happens when you minmax your stats. He's strong as gently caress and he hits like a truck and can take a lot of hits, but he's got poo poo stamina.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Brut posted:

So if Ya'll are talking about Onojo, that wasn't exactly an injury in the usual sense sense (knees, limbs, etc), he fell face-first in to the tawara after pushing his opponent out and appeared very concussed, he did eventually climb back up to the dohyo but was indeed wheeled out afterwards, he did show up for the Makushita playoff a couple days later, though with some bandages on his face.

It could be. And if he was concussed and fought a couple of days later that is horrible but not entirely surprising.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Starts at about 6:30 here if you want to see it for yourself

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa-SWOgtwEk

Lol

Lmao

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Also the unicorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BonSrYM5MP0

Double Henka

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I'm new to sumo but I think Takakeisho owns and the anit-climax was kinda funny and I get being upset that it wasn't a big epic clash but making GBS threads on Takakeisho for it seems lame :shrug:.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Stolen from Kintamayama translation of the YDC meeting.

quote:

Mr. Yamauchi YDC head

On Takakeishou: "11-4 is historically a low-level yusho, but kadoban Takakeishou fulfilled his responsibilities as an Ozeki and attained the yusho. This fact in itself is important. This sends out a great message of hope to all the rikishi who are struggling with injuries or attempting to return from injuries. Wonderful news for them. I value that facet as well and hope for him to recover and be healthy" he added. The internet was buzzing with the henka business. "The truth is, you go for the yusho, and that's what will be remembered. A brilliant result. It's important that he won his regular bout and then the playoff bout. I think we need to take a positive view of his reaching the playoffs. Sumo is about keiko and effort. We should look at that this way as well There are some people who think an 11-4 yusho leaves much to be desired, but what's important is lifting that Cup. It's important that all efforts should go towards that goal. Only one person can win the yusho. That is the important thing. He has overcome his knee and neck injuries and won the yusho and that deeply moved many people. The henka question is a complicated one. There is no one answer to that. I watched it many times on video. Parts of the media have said that he was 'flying..' but I felt he was not. Worst case, it could be called a henka. Big difference there, as he did hit first and then shifted. In any case, he wasn't going to let Atamifuji get that right hand grip so that thought may have resulted in that kind of sumo. The way I saw it may be interpreted that I am biased towards Takakeishou, but it's a viable view and I feel whatever it was, henka or flying, it did not leave any extremely bad feelings," he summed.

Hilariously the only one not giving a poo poo about the henka is the grumpiest old man. Dude needed to win and he won. Good job.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

pseudodragon posted:

Stolen from Kintamayama translation of the YDC meeting.

"It's ok to have constant career-threatening injuries as long as somebody wins the cup. You see, there's no need to reform the system."

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Dude needed to win and he won. Good job.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

If Shodai goes 7/8 I will donate 50 dollars to my local animal shelter on Sunday
If Shodai goes 8/7 I will donate 5,000 cents to my local animal shelter on Sunday

Day late, sorry!

Turns out it's surprisingly difficult to donate cents, specifically.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i was wondering if they were happy enough to make him yokuzuna if he can repeat in a couple months and it certainly sounds like this

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thauros posted:

i was wondering if they were happy enough to make him yokuzuna if he can repeat in a couple months and it certainly sounds like this

If it's a dominant 0 to 2 loss yusho? Maybe. Another 11-4 yusho? Probably not.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I feel like, unless it's a 14-1 yusho, they'll wait for any promotion. His past three before this saw him at 8-7 at his best and sitting out 23 matches. Unless something drastic happens I think they'll want to see him string together three tournaments with 11+ wins before they even start to consider giving him the rope.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

A yusho is a yusho. They won't give him credit for anything short like another playoff loss, but 2 straight (and that would make 3 and a playoff loss in the year) is hard to deny.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Robviously posted:

I think they'll want to see him string together three tournaments with 11+ wins before they even start to consider giving him the rope.

Same, and I just don't see his health allowing it sadly. He didn't look 100% this time but with no Teru he lived up to his rank and gutted out a Yusho, I'll always be a big Keisho fan but those dominant wins of his have been rarer over the last year or so, it would be great to see him finally get over the hump and go on a tear, here's hoping his body holds up!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

it would be great to see him finally get over the hump and go on a tear, here's hoping his body holds up!

It does seem like he's racing his body rather than the field to get over the hump. He's consistently good enough that it seems like if he was just able to stay healthy every basho he'll eventually string together 2 yusho given enough chances. It's just whether his body will last long enough to give him enough shots.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Buttchocks posted:

"It's ok to have constant career-threatening injuries as long as somebody wins the cup. You see, there's no need to reform the system."

They really did come up with an impressively bad statement about this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

some kinda jackal posted:

Day late, sorry!

Turns out it's surprisingly difficult to donate cents, specifically.

i admire someone who stands by their word! sumo is even cool tangentially. maybe the animals there will be treated better than those poor rikishi.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Why thank you, friend, but don't admire me, admire SHODAI!

It was through the strength of SHODAI! that these animals will get some small comfort!

SHODAI!, a friend to animals in need, halfway across the globe!

SHODAI!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Shodai, and the Power of Maybe Warming Up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Love me some Shodes

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Did someone say SHODAI?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dead Goon posted:

Did someone say SHODAI?

I sure did at the end of his match from Sunday.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ9TNOeSARY

My heart broke for Atamifuji coming out of that last match, the guy was clearly devastated and on the verge of tears. That said... in the end, like a demon, you go all out to win. Goateed evil Takakeisho all the way to yokozuna.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Googling gives you a lot of articles about the JSA banning beards in 2019 but I wish some rikishi would rock a big old mustache. These days we barely get sideburns :sigh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember when Chiyotairyu shaved his sideburns that one time. I wasn't ready.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Honestly I thought that Taco Queso was going to henka him not only because in retrospect that Atamifuji was deeply in his own head, but because he has about ten seconds of stamina before he starts to tire out and his odds of losing go up dramatically. He'd just fought and was delaying because he was still winded from fighting earlier and if Atamifuji actually took him on, he'd have maybe six to eight seconds of real fighting before Taco Queso would be completely gassed, if that.

Queso is what happens when you minmax your stats. He's strong as gently caress and he hits like a truck and can take a lot of hits, but he's got poo poo stamina.

https://twitter.com/PunxSumo/status/1706815055667626191

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lol

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Excuse me, excuse me, I specifically ordered no henka. I'd like to speak to your manager please.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Hey Kenning, purely for my own entertainment, I built my own Excel tracker for this basho and was wondering if I could share it to the thread? It would contain the final results for all participants and a full breakdown of their performance. No worries though if you'd rather I didn't since I can't guarantee that I got all the scoring and tie-breaker mechanics 100% correct. I would spoiler it and state clearly that it is unofficial and that your post would be the official final results.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey, sorry I've been so late in putting up the final results. In addition to the usual bullshit, I've come down with COVID lol. But I guess it's enough waiting. I'd be interested in the layout of your tracker in any case, since I'm currently involved in rebuilding mine to automate even more stuff (like KK/MK, kinboshi, sansho, and jun/yusho bonuses).

At long last, here's the results for the Aki 2023 fantasy sumo basho!

Makuuchi
code:
58	Banana Canada
58	Tiny Bug Child
57	Brut
55	Kenning
55	Teddybear
54.5	anakha
54.5	Khizan
54.5	MyChemicalImbalance
53.5	Robviously
53	Communist Thoughts
52.5	Pakled
52.5	whats for dinner
51.5	Ice Phisherman
51	NuclearPotato
51	Thauros
51	Vargatron
49	captainblastum
49	GoatSeeGuy
46.5	bessantj
46.5	Helianthus Annuus
46.5	pseudodragon
45.5	Charles Gnarwin
43.5	Fluffdaddy
43.5	Kuros
42.5	Iron Chef Nex
41.5	bartolimu
41	Mode 7
39	LlamaTrauma
36.5	Crusty Nutsack
36.5	Saturnine Aberrance
36	Marching Powder
34	Jobbo_Fett
32.5	Akiosan
32.5	Chinook
Juryo
code:
59	oldskool
58	Lid
57	Beexoffel
57	ullerrm
56	Nativity In Black
53.5	Eldoop
52	PJ
51	The Postman
51	Xerzes
49	Average Lettuce
49	Medenmath
49	NTRabbit
47	Liquid Communism
46.5	Fearless
46	Samuel L. Hacksaw
45.5	Ben Nerevarine
45.5	Boogalo
43.5	Log082
43	Dead Goon
42.5	ratmosphere
41.5	FART BOSS
41	Flinger
41	Single Tight Female
40	ImplicitAssembler
39	Takuan
38	QuasiQuack
37.5	Bentai
For the second time, we have joint yusho winners. As was the case the last time this happened, none of the tiebreakers were applicable, and both of the winners are top-ranked ozeki. Clearly I need to rethink some of the tiebreaking criteria. In any case, congratulations to Banana Canada and Tiny Bug Child for jointly hoisting the cup. Obviously both teams contained the wunderkind Atamifuji, and both were fully undefeated, although they didn't have all that many wrestlers in common, only sharing Wakamotoharu in addition to Atamifuji.

Down in juryo, congrats to Lid for winning with essentially the same team as the two makuuchi winners, producing the same score. Special shoutout to forums guest PJ, the only person to get both Takakeisho and Atamifuji on the same team, who was unfortunately hampered by Tamawashi and not able to get into a strong contention for the cup, and to Boogalo, who traded away 2 wrestlers (Shodai and Endo) who both ended up getting their KK, for two wrestlers (Hokutofuji and Kotoeko) who went 8-7 and 6-9 respectively, for a net score of -8 points on the trades. Ouch!

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

Gino-sho: There were 16 teams without kachi-koshi this round, full a quarter of the field, so the gino-sho will not be awarded. Congrats to everyone with a KK-only team though!
Kanto-sho: Looking over the results, I can't see anything particularly worth of a kanto-sho. Weirdly low-scoring tournament for so many KK teams. Not awarded.
Shukun-sho: PJ

Thanks for everyone for playing, and sorry again for being late.

Now that we're at the bottom of the post, I've been wondering about adding a juryo component to fantasy. I don't think I want a full juryo slot, but I was considering having a juryo wrestler as an end-of-basho bonus or tiebreaker, i.e. if your juryo wrestler goes KK you get a bonus at the end of the tournament, and if they take the juryo yusho you get an additional bonus. Please let me know if you have thoughts for how to incorporate juryo wrestlers and also other tiebreakers that might be useful for avoiding more duplicated results, since we'd had it twice in one year so far.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 4, 2023

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks, Kenning.

A tiebreaker idea could be guessing how many bouts end with Tobizaru in the crowd, regardless of whether he wins or loses. Or whether or not Ryuuden does the butt shake. That sort of thing…

The color of the cookie seems like it has a set rotation, unfortunately..

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Now that we're at the bottom of the post, I've been wondering about adding a juryo component to fantasy. I don't think I want a full juryo slot, but I was considering having a juryo wrestler as an end-of-basho bonus or tiebreaker, i.e. if your juryo wrestler goes KK you get a bonus at the end of the tournament, and if they take the juryo yusho you get an additional bonus. Please let me know if you have thoughts for how to incorporate juryo wrestlers and also other tiebreakers that might be useful for avoiding more duplicated results, since we'd had it twice in one year so far.

i think 1 juryo guy, either as a tiebreaker could work. a full score dude might be a bit much since a lot of people may not watch juryo (especially with the digests getting to be a PITA to get), but I think everyone can find like one recently demoted guy or up and comer to claim. The only thing that might not work is if everyone just winds up with the same picks. Like I could see next basho just be a split of Aoiyama if he sticks around, Hakuoho if healthy and Onosato being like 80% of the picks between them.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
E.Honda mirror match in some version of Street Fighter. Acceptable versions are: Super Turbo, 4 Ultra, Alpha 3, 5 or 6.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I think if I hadn’t made that trade I might’ve tied for first as well, unless I did my math wrong. The moral is, never trade.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks for running fantasy sumo, Kenning!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Thanks Kenning!

Also, this seems super important
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1707100707755622694

Looking forward to some 5 foot tall ultra strong dude just walking under people and lifting them out of the dohyo in a couple years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Mid-pack with catastrophic trades aint bad.