Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, your best bet will troll SA-Mart, facebook marketplace, etc to find a decent used machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Used laptops always seem to be $400 unless it's some special thing people are actively looking for like an apple product

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And $400 will almost always get you a crappy laptop new. Refurb you might find something if you look hard enough, but that's a sweet spot for a used machine.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Pulled the trigger and it arrived earlier today.

Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad X280, with an i5 8350u, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Pro and the FHD 1080p IPS screen. Battery still has 91% capacity remaining which is pretty impressive all things considered. Including 2 day shipping and a 1 year RTB warranty it was £179.99, and with the coupon code eBay gave me it came to £161.99 all in.

For the price I think I got a lot of computer for not a lot of money, so I'm very happy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You should be pretty happy with that. Curious to hear what your battery life is like after a week of using it (stretch it's legs a little bit) a lot of goons come in asking about older thinkpads and there are always question marks around the state of the battery on a 4+ year old laptop, and battery technology has changed a lot in the last dozen or so years

Had to do a double take because it looks almost exactly like the x390 I'm typing this on

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hadlock posted:

You should be pretty happy with that. Curious to hear what your battery life is like after a week of using it (stretch it's legs a little bit) a lot of goons come in asking about older thinkpads and there are always question marks around the state of the battery on a 4+ year old laptop, and battery technology has changed a lot in the last dozen or so years

Had to do a double take because it looks almost exactly like the x390 I'm typing this on

I'll see how it goes over a longer period of time, but based on my experience with it so far if usage is just fairly standard internet browsing set to power saver mode 7 to 8 hours looks to be as good as its going to get. The battery has undergone 253 discharges before I took possession which for a five year old laptop doesn't seem like a whole lot?

In any case having 90% capacity after all this time is a very good result and I suppose is indicative of just how far battery technology has come over the decades. My very first laptop I had was a refurbished IBM Thinkpad T21 that I bought for college back in 2003. Despite only being three years old the battery would discharge in under 20 minutes with only the lightest of use. One badass machine though, an 800mhz Pentium 3, 128MB of RAM and an S3 Savage graphics chipset with a whopping 8MB of VRAM, and a swappable DVD and floppy drive.

Within a year I sold it to a friend and bought some ASUS monstrosity that was certainly a power house complete with a dedicated graphics chipset, but was enormous and weighed a ton. In retrospect an exceedingly poor decision, but I made plenty of those as a teenager!

Actually when it comes to laptops I've got a whole history of poor decisions. After the ASUS I got some horrid Philips Freevents machine from PC World which while it was relatively light had no manufacturer support at all as it was just a no name rebadge from Taiwan. Turned out to be an unreliable shitheap and sold it for parts on eBay. Then got a refurbished Asus EEE PC 900 which even in 2011 was so slow as to be barely useable.

So I guess in my entire life the only two good laptop purchases have been refurbished Thinkpads. Points for consistency I guess.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So I guess in my entire life the only two good laptop purchases have been refurbished Thinkpads. Points for consistency I guess.
The laptops I regret least have also been that, I think, though there was a small Alienware that was okay as well, I think that one was just at a time when laptop GPUs were accelerating rapidly so it aged out a bit soon.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Can modern laptops sense moisture in ports like phones can? Because I thought I spilled some liquid in/on my lappy last night. I turned it off and disconnected the power immediately, I turned it sideways and just kind of hoped for the best. Apparently after I went to bed it turned its fan on really high a couple times, as if it were trying to expel something.

Don't drink and computer, kids.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Don't drink and computer, kids.

Half of the internet and most of the online advertising would implode if everyone followed your advice

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I unlocked the UEFI to replace the boot screen with a custom graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be6EFF-D4io

Drunk as gently caress and didn't undo this and then installed some software that was beyond questionable which led to a complete trojan and a laptop I have on quarantine now. I got some bizarre identity theft poo poo after that.

The guy in the above video is perfectly right but don't do what I did. Unlock it and then carefully relock it or question everything thereafter.

e: eh gads he even has the MSI boot logo which I want to replace for a weyland utani custom one

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 25, 2023

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hadlock posted:

Half of the internet and most of the online advertising would implode if everyone followed your advice
So you're saying it's good advice...

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I haven't seen much chatter here about the Framework laptop. Is anyone else awaiting their AMD Framework to be shipped this week?

It's going to be my first new laptop since 2009, and hopefully my last new laptop ever. My current daily driver is a 2010 MacBook Pro which has a perfectly usable i5 and 8gb of replaceable RAM and 2x SATA which I've upgraded to SSDs and removed the DVD burner. Even 13 years later it has best in class trackpad functionality.

The real push to throw it in the ewaste bin is software support-- Apple is no longer supporting the hardware with OSX and Slack finally stopped working this month. I'm even starting to get warnings from Chrome about being EOL. I've tried several Linux distributions but I can't find one where all of the hardware is supported at the same time due to the closed nature of the hardware.

With Framework, I'm expecting my computing hardware to have a useful purpose as long as they are functioning in IoT, interactive art or home server projects.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

People seem to like them but there are few framework owners in this thread. Topic comes up a handful of times per year

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I have been waiting to see reviews of the AMD Framework laptop. I don't know if a good review will make me want to wait for one though, since the line seems a bit long right now to actually receive one.

Your plan makes sense but I think it's worth keeping in mind that it requires the Framework company to stick around for a long time and continue to make motherboards that fit inside whatever case you buy from them as your first unit.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I have been waiting to see reviews of the AMD Framework laptop. I don't know if a good review will make me want to wait for one though, since the line seems a bit long right now to actually receive one.

Your plan makes sense but I think it's worth keeping in mind that it requires the Framework company to stick around for a long time and continue to make motherboards that fit inside whatever case you buy from them as your first unit.

There's multiple objectives I'm looking for-- being able to repurpose the standalone components at EOL doesn't require Framework to exist at the time of EOL. Even if I never upgrade the laptop I will be able to build it into a project, whereas my MacBook hardware is only usable in a project pretty much as a complete laptop.

Having an upgrade path does require Framework to exist AND for them to follow through on commitment to backwards compatibility. I do consider it a risk, but I feel the risk is a bit lower now compared to when they were just offering Intel hardware. I am a bit concerned about the release of the FW16 spreading resources thinly.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Speaking of reusing laptop motherboards, it looks like Framework has put their standalone 11th gen Intel boards on clearance. The low end board is $200.

https://frame.work/products/mainboard-11th-gen-intel-core

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
I have a 12th gen i5 Framework, and I'm mostly pretty happy with the thing. Super easy to get into and replace anything, which is why I specifically got one of these after my 5 year old Lenovo Legion Y520's keyboard died, and the only tutorial for replacing it was 45 minutes long and required you to carefully cut things apart with a razorblade (seriously). My thoughts on things that I don't recall seeing in reviews:

• A nice, unexpected bonus to the whole modular USB-C expansion card thing is that it can prevent damage to main body of the laptop. I dropped this thing once when it was plugged in, and it landed on the base of the cord. This bent the expansion card out, but it was clear from the way that it bent that it was putting little to no pressure on the internal USB-C slot. I'd much rather lose one of those easily replaceable things than have to deal with a broken USB-C port that was built into the machine.
  • That said, the original USB-C cord for the official power supply frayed within a couple weeks. On one hand, it's super easy and cheap to replace a USB-C cable. On the other, I shouldn't have to deal with that on a $50 part that fast.
  • After I had it for a while, I started noticing that it would sometimes act like I clicked the mouse if I placed it down or held it by the corner. It turns out that it's due to the case flexing, and you can fix that by retightening your screws. So I've hard to use the included screwdriver just for that a couple of times.
  • On one hand, I think that it's neat that the bezel is magnetic and can be replaced within seconds. On the other, I'm the kind of person that just fiddles with things that are nearby without really thinking about it, and one thing I started regularly fiddling with is sticking and unsticking the side of the bezel. And unfortunately, it's clearly not designed to do that. I've now lost a few of the metal bits that are supposed to hold it in place, and it's visibly lose and cracked on the left side. I'm hesitant to call it a flaw with the laptop, as I highly doubt that the vast, vast majority of the userbase is going to ever fiddle with it enough to be an issue, but I wanted to give a heads up in case you're the type who's likely to do stuff like that.

As for the AMD motherboards, I'm pretty curious about them. I have Steam Deck for gaming, but I still use this thing for Roll20, which slows down my computer when I'm using this otherwise nice 2k screen (and I 100% blame Roll20 for being optimized poorly, not the laptop), and it'd be nice to have a better integrated GPU to solve that problem. But even if I had the money for that upgrade now, I'd want to see the reviews. The fan in the Framework 13 can be loud when it's on full blast, and I saw one review of a 13th gen i7 model where the guy complained that it seemed like the fan always went into full gear if he was doing more than the bare minimum, which really annoyed him. I'm not expecting it to have trouble cooling these AMD CPUs, but I'd rather confirm that before spending the money.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Gao posted:

The fan in the Framework 13 can be loud when it's on full blast, and I saw one review of a 13th gen i7 model where the guy complained that it seemed like the fan always went into full gear if he was doing more than the bare minimum, which really annoyed him. I'm not expecting it to have trouble cooling these AMD CPUs, but I'd rather confirm that before spending the money.

I've read that the fw13's system is designed to be able to handle continuous 28w TDP, which presumably would require the fan to be on high. Is there a setting in the BIOS to lower the TDP threshold to a point where it will throttle earlier before hitting 28w?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mantle posted:

I haven't seen much chatter here about the Framework laptop. Is anyone else awaiting their AMD Framework to be shipped this week?

It's going to be my first new laptop since 2009, and hopefully my last new laptop ever. My current daily driver is a 2010 MacBook Pro which has a perfectly usable i5 and 8gb of replaceable RAM and 2x SATA which I've upgraded to SSDs and removed the DVD burner. Even 13 years later it has best in class trackpad functionality.

The real push to throw it in the ewaste bin is software support-- Apple is no longer supporting the hardware with OSX and Slack finally stopped working this month. I'm even starting to get warnings from Chrome about being EOL. I've tried several Linux distributions but I can't find one where all of the hardware is supported at the same time due to the closed nature of the hardware.

With Framework, I'm expecting my computing hardware to have a useful purpose as long as they are functioning in IoT, interactive art or home server projects.

I have a batch 2 pre-order I guess maybe I'll post first impressions when I get it if people are interested. Sounds like you might get it before me if you're shipping this week though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

I have a batch 2 pre-order I guess maybe I'll post first impressions when I get it if people are interested. Sounds like you might get it before me if you're shipping this week though.

I'm in Batch 1. Who knows what a batch is though or if there are further subdivisions of a batch.

Is there anything specific anyone wants to know? I plan on installing Fedora 38 because it seems to be the best supported distro.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Anyone know where to look up or just plain can answer what the equivalent regular mobile gpu is to a quadro p4000. I need some bottom line for what to recommend a nephew who's studying electromechanics, which might involve some graphically intensive software I guess.

Sites I'm looking at don't seem to differentiate their benchmarks between mobile and desktop parts from what I can tell, which is annoying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Anyone know where to look up or just plain can answer what the equivalent regular mobile gpu is to a quadro p4000. I need some bottom line for what to recommend a nephew who's studying electromechanics, which might involve some graphically intensive software I guess.

Sites I'm looking at don't seem to differentiate their benchmarks between mobile and desktop parts from what I can tell, which is annoying.

Mobile P4000 is basically the same as desktop, it's just clocked lower and is like 15% slower. So most newer mobile workstation cards would be fine. How much memory you need is important too. If you need 8GB then something like RTX 2000, though if you don't the A1000 isn't too expensive.

Basically if the requirement is a P4000 and 8GB of RAM, then any 8GB card made after 2018 will be faster. If you don't need 8GB, then 4GB of RAM post 2018 will be as fast or faster than a P4000.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mantle posted:

I'm in Batch 1. Who knows what a batch is though or if there are further subdivisions of a batch.

Is there anything specific anyone wants to know? I plan on installing Fedora 38 because it seems to be the best supported distro.

Actually I'd love to hear if you run into crashing - I intentionally pushed myself to batch 2 so I could cancel after I got burned real bad by fence timeouts/ring bus timeouts on the 680m. I'll be running fedora kde spin so I was counting on using batch 1 folks as canaries for igpu driver stability.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lockback posted:

Mobile P4000 is basically the same as desktop, it's just clocked lower and is like 15% slower. So most newer mobile workstation cards would be fine. How much memory you need is important too. If you need 8GB then something like RTX 2000, though if you don't the A1000 isn't too expensive.

Basically if the requirement is a P4000 and 8GB of RAM, then any 8GB card made after 2018 will be faster. If you don't need 8GB, then 4GB of RAM post 2018 will be as fast or faster than a P4000.
Thank you. I'm glad to have found on the list of recommended laptops that on the bottom end they have laptops with a GTX1650 ti, so probably anything with 4GB VRAM that he can get new in a shop is going to be fine, I'm assuming. Most within the budget I'm seeing RTX 3050.

Severely hampered by the fact that he apparently needs something that can be ordered today and delivered the day after! That's not the way to shop dude.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

That Lenovo Legion slim whatever-it-is; it makes a great first impression by doing wacky shenanigans with the keyboard lights during setup. Not sarcasm, it genuinely looks really fancy by doing this.

Makes a loving awful first impression with jesus christ what is wrong with Windows 11 how has it come to this? Like 12 screens of "YOU CAN GET FREE STUFF we will charge you a monthly fee though lol" that you have to fight your way through. A helpful "copy your old computer stuff to this new computer", where I followed the instructions and watched "Windows Backup" ("may take a few minutes"!) on the old machine take an hour to mark 3 of the 4 types of things done, then left it for 3 hours to do the other one with no progress bar and never finishing, then thought wtf and looked at network usage from my router and sure enough it wasn't actually doing anything at all, and even the three things marked done don't seem to have actually gone anywhere. So I guess I'm transferring stuff manually. None of this is held against the laptop, except possibly the part where windows says it detected a fingerprint scanner and I'm *fairly* sure there isn't one, I looked all over, and google says at least that *most* legions don't have.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

roomforthetuna posted:

Makes a loving awful first impression with jesus christ what is wrong with Windows 11 how has it come to this? Like 12 screens of "YOU CAN GET FREE STUFF we will charge you a monthly fee though lol" that you have to fight your way through.

You'll get to redo those pages of declining subscriptions at least twice a year, as the whole process repeats with every major Windows update.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

You'll get to redo those pages of declining subscriptions at least twice a year, as the whole process repeats with every major Windows update.
Indeed, I already had one pop up that covered a sixth of the screen, trying to sell me one of the exact same "free" things I already declined, half an hour into using the computer. At least there was a hidden "gently caress off windows store" option.
If only more games worked on Linux I would be off Windows so fast.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

roomforthetuna posted:

None of this is held against the laptop, except possibly the part where windows says it detected a fingerprint scanner and I'm *fairly* sure there isn't one, I looked all over, and google says at least that *most* legions don't have.

It’s the glowy power button.

Also, the laptop has been further discounted on open box in similar condition by like 100 bucks. Open boxes aren’t eligible for price matching, so you’ll have to buy the new one, return the old one. So maybe hold off on transferring all your stuff!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

It’s the glowy power button.
Oh man. I thought that, then I thought "nah, it would be stupid to make the power button double as a fingerprint reader". Oh well! Thanks.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Well, I guess "excellent condition" open box in this case means "it got returned because it's totally hosed, but it physically looks okay."

Fifteen minutes in of playing a not very demanding indie game, the screen went black with one line of 'noise' pixels at the top left, a horrible screeching noise into my headphones, and after powering it down, it will turn on but the only thing it does is light up the keyboard. hopefully if I give it a rest first I can get it started enough to wipe the drive before I return it. :(

Now thinking maybe what I should get is a steam deck for games, and an old refurb thinkpad for development, and say goodbye to Windows.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roomforthetuna posted:

Well, I guess "excellent condition" open box in this case means "it got returned because it's totally hosed, but it physically looks okay."

Fifteen minutes in of playing a not very demanding indie game, the screen went black with one line of 'noise' pixels at the top left, a horrible screeching noise into my headphones, and after powering it down, it will turn on but the only thing it does is light up the keyboard. hopefully if I give it a rest first I can get it started enough to wipe the drive before I return it. :(

Now thinking maybe what I should get is a steam deck for games, and an old refurb thinkpad for development, and say goodbye to Windows.

Sux, but yeah send that back. Open box is a bit of a gamble but at least you can return it for no real loss other than some time.

fwiw, that is not the usual experience with laptops. On the other hand, the Steam Deck does kinda rule.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

roomforthetuna posted:

I am never gonna be able to figure out how to get and keep Linux running so I am thinking of doing exactly this also.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

If you're considering doing this, I'd like to encourage you to jump on in, the water's fine. You don't have to have a Steam Deck to game on Linux either, Proton is free to use via Steam and I've found that an overwhelming majority of games that aren't "Steam Deck Verified" work great in Proton Experimental anyway. The only stuff that's a no-go are things with invasive anti-cheat. You could just buy the same kind of laptop you'd buy to run Windows and both game and compute on it. I am really tired of Windows' bullshit.

The biggest noticeable downside to running Linux on laptops in this day and age is that your battery life will be mildly to moderately worse. Windows is still better at power management, but if you really cared about having extremely good battery life you'd be buying a Macbook Air anyway. Doing display scaling for a high-DPI display also burns more battery if you're using GNOME, because it renders 2x then scales to 1.25 or 1.5x or whatever you chose: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI. I'd honestly recommend getting a 1080p screen if you're comfortable using that unscaled, but high-DPI displays will work.

Unless you get something that's officially supported like a Framework laptop or Dell Developer Edition you'll probably also have one or two corner cases of stuff that doesn't work quite right out of the box, but it's no worse than janitoring windows. In my case on Ubuntu 22.04, it was that the ALC223 audio hardware needed me to futz with a config file to enable the headset jack to work as both a microphone and headphones simultaneously. Out of the box it just worked as headphones, no mic in.

Also, I know nobody has ever listened to a recommendation about a desktop environment, but KDE Plasma seems to have leadership that actually cares about usability and supports HiDPI better to boot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're considering doing this, I'd like to encourage you to jump on in, the water's fine. You don't have to have a Steam Deck to game on Linux either, Proton is free to use via Steam and I've found that an overwhelming majority of games that aren't "Steam Deck Verified" work great in Proton Experimental anyway. The only stuff that's a no-go are things with invasive anti-cheat.

To clarify what Twerk is saying:

Windows Anticheat on Windows: Works
Linux Anticheat on Linux: Works.
Windows Anticheat on Linux: Does Not Work.

edit:
Windows Anticheat On Windows VMs with the GPU passed through: *Does* work, but needs a few P's and Q's minded and risks TOS instead, but the Deck is not powerful enough to do that.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 27, 2023

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Lockback posted:

Sux, but yeah send that back. Open box is a bit of a gamble but at least you can return it for no real loss other than some time.

fwiw, that is not the usual experience with laptops. On the other hand, the Steam Deck does kinda rule.
Yeah, it's not that I think every laptop would break, rather that I thought some of my games would need a beefier GPU and it turns out a steam deck at least *acts* more powerful than my broken-keyboard MSI gaming laptop. So if a deck can do all the games I want then I don't really need a gaming laptop at all, and the thing that was *more* annoying about the whole process was new-Windows, which can also be removed from the equation with this solution.

Turns out I can't get it to turn back on (I got like 1.5 seconds of the lenovo logo on startup one time) to erase the drive, so I'm going to have to get an external enclosure and do some surgery before returning it. Fun fun fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
deck runs at a fairly low resolution, if you run your laptop at 1280x800 it probably performs just fine too :v:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Truga posted:

deck runs at a fairly low resolution, if you run your laptop at 1280x800 it probably performs just fine too :v:
Current laptop just flat refuses to run, e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2. I haven't had a problem with frame rates for anything, I'm always happy to reduce quality and resolution, but I can't do anything about "your thing doesn't meet the minimum spec so I'm just not gonna run at all, gently caress you". Seems like steam deck hardware will be catered to instead of intentionally disabled, at least for a while.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some radio or electronic certification got leaked from South Korea that roughly matches up with a new valve consumer hardware product getting released in January CES '24

Nobody knows what it is but some guesses have been, new VR controllers, some kind of Quest portable VR device, or an updated steam deck. Apparently because of console life cycles, the updated steam deck is least likely, but if that is what happens, I'm definitely getting one of those instead of upgrading my laptop

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Valve just recently said they weren't going to release a Steam Deck 2 for another couple of years.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/21/23884863/valve-steam-deck-2-refresh-upgrade-cpu-2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Some radio or electronic certification got leaked from South Korea that roughly matches up with a new valve consumer hardware product getting released in January CES '24

Nobody knows what it is but some guesses have been, new VR controllers, some kind of Quest portable VR device, or an updated steam deck. Apparently because of console life cycles, the updated steam deck is least likely, but if that is what happens, I'm definitely getting one of those instead of upgrading my laptop

I believe Valve that they're not going to refresh the Deck any time soon, but they could potentially do a Steam Desktop without the battery, controller, and with a bigger power budget.

The problem there is that any iGPU much bigger than the Z1 Extreme is going to want more memory bandwidth, and AMD just doesn't have those parts off the shelf, and people won't put up with 1280x800-ish resolutions on a desktop.

If they can twist AMDs arm into building a big iGPU desktop part with quad channel DDR5 we'd be off to the races with a fully fledged gaming desktop in a single silicon package.