Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have had a few pairs of AirPods 1 and they always work fine with my iPhone when I first use them but as the months go by they stop connecting automatically when I put them in my ear. So I thought the ear sensor is bad but if I put them in the case and flip the top to force the whole case to show status on my phone that works fine and immediately after that if I put the AirPod in my ear it would connect fine but it will then not re-connect the next time I try and I have to do the whole case re-connect cycle again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe get some newer AirPods or pro?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Im just so used to the feel of AirPods 1 I keep getting new ones to replace old ones I've lost. But every single set does this and seemingly nothing is wrong with them, I just have to jiggle them.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Even the third gen AirPods get weird sometimes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MarcusSA posted:

Authentication apps are the worst for that.

For me is always google and the Microsoft one.

I have *6* 365 tenants in my MS Authenticator and enrolling a new phone is suck a loving chore.
It's not even really any faster to migrate than start from fresh!

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

~Coxy posted:

I have *6* 365 tenants in my MS Authenticator and enrolling a new phone is suck a loving chore.
It's not even really any faster to migrate than start from fresh!

I use Authy and it migrated everything automatically.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I straight up can't migrate my employer MFA, it requires opening a ticket and starting from scratch. It takes them about two days to process and I can't sign into email without it (email logins expire after 24 hours).

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Okta has no backup sync :argh:

(My Google Auth works fine)

BTW, were they suppose to include the box for trade in when they delivered your iPhone 15? I don't think I got one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Strong Sauce posted:

BTW, were they suppose to include the box for trade in when they delivered your iPhone 15? I don't think I got one.

No, mine is coming tomorrow. It’s also signature required by default.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Snowy posted:

No, mine is coming tomorrow. It’s also signature required by default.

I don’t think the return box requires a signature. The fedex guy launched it at my front door via Patrick Mahomes style sidearm throw because it was pouring rain out and ran back to the truck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Launch phones come direct from China, so the box comes separate.

I got mine today. It’s a bit strange, the box doesn’t cradle your phone at all and has a lot of space around it. It’s only kept in place by being pressed between some cardboard and friction.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah it was that way when I traded in my X as well

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01MQXCNNhJE

Clickbait-y title but he basically says that the iPhone 15 Pro Max that he has has major heating issues. He thinks it's due to the titanium being able to hold heat better than stainless steel and also due to the A17 Pro chip being too powerful (?). He says it got too hot to hold after shooting in ProRes log and some have echoed the same issue in the comments after using 4K/60 videos and some just by using the phone normally. One person said they replaced it at the Apple Store and the new phone doesn't have as bad of heating issues.

Some also claimed the phone was hot out of the box as they set it up but that's because it was doing 50 billion things all at once when you first turn it on and sync with iCloud so...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

During this 100 degree heatwave my phone got noticeably hot just being used outside normally

E: man I just popped the phone onto a MagSafe charger for the first time since getting this nomad leather case and the magnet is almost comically strong. Also I have noticed the scalloped sides as being nice on the fingers when holding the phone in landscape. Still not super impressed with the leather, which is kinda sad.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 26, 2023

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

New iGoon here, (coming from Android).

Any resource that's relatively new for must have apps? The iOS thread appears to be from 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Saeka posted:

Any resource that's relatively new for must have apps? The iOS thread appears to be from 2014

Awful app, naturally :v:
Paprika 3 - best recipe collating and website scraping app
Canadian? NFB app
Symphony of the Night - it's only ~$3
Pocketcasts/podcast app of choice
Discord

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Saeka posted:

You might try asking in the iOS apps thread from 2014! People are still replying to it.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

now that'd just make too much sense!

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone use a good wireless CarPlay adapter? With new phone having MagSafe I’m considering one so I can just get into car and put it on a charger but if I have to plug in anyway that sort of defeats the purpose.

Looks like the Ottocast is well reviewed but (of course) the most expensive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Holy poo poo, a YouTube reviewer actually picked the yellow one to unbox

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Bought the Peak Design case after reading about it this thread. Excellent and loving expensive product, as all their stuff, but I've found that many USB-C cables won't fit through the hole by the stadium shaped charging port.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Do any of the oleophobic coating-restoring products actually work

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

bolind posted:

but I've found that many USB-C cables won't fit through the hole by the stadium shaped charging port.

I’ve heard that complaint a bit about the Apple cases too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well that’s a new one, the clock app on my iPhone 15 PM froze while on nightstand mode and made me late for work because the alarm didn’t go off. I could tap the snooze or end alarm buttons but nothing would happen.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01MQXCNNhJE

Clickbait-y title but he basically says that the iPhone 15 Pro Max that he has has major heating issues. He thinks it's due to the titanium being able to hold heat better than stainless steel and also due to the A17 Pro chip being too powerful (?). He says it got too hot to hold after shooting in ProRes log and some have echoed the same issue in the comments after using 4K/60 videos and some just by using the phone normally. One person said they replaced it at the Apple Store and the new phone doesn't have as bad of heating issues.

Some also claimed the phone was hot out of the box as they set it up but that's because it was doing 50 billion things all at once when you first turn it on and sync with iCloud so...

I saw this and dudes in the Android thread talking about other stuff coming out about it overheating as well. Last night I just set my phone up and recorded 12 minutes of 4k/30 while getting ready for bed and, as expected, it got warm but nowhere near hot. I also spent 30 minutes taking pictures outside over the weekend, got warm there too but not hot.

I don’t doubt that you can make the phone get really loving hot playing 30 minutes of ray traced Resident Evil 8 or editing videos, but most users aren’t doing those things so I doubt this gets much traction beyond nerds. I’m sure if it becomes A Thing then Apple will patch it to underclock during those sorts of tasks or whatever but this seems like the kinda thing that will get talked about for two weeks and then forgotten.

My Pixel 7 would get hot doing next to nothing. My iPhone 13PM would get warm taking pictures. Phones are powerful, heat happens when you have powerful hardware do poo poo.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well that’s a new one, the clock app on my iPhone 15 PM froze while on nightstand mode and made me late for work because the alarm didn’t go off. I could tap the snooze or end alarm buttons but nothing would happen.

That’s a feature. Tim is just worried you’re overextending yourself so tried to give you the day off.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tiny Timbs posted:

Don't tell me we're back to the days of iPhone alarms being super unreliable. :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's funny, this iphone seems like it has some major durability concerns, which sucks, but it's better than ever to rock bareback.

Obviously if you're caseless you're on Applecare+, but the fee for the 15 Pros is only $29 to get a front/back screen replacement. I assume this is because of the new easier to replace glass or whatever. And with Apple, they just slap a new phone in your hand, they don't actually repair your phone.

That owns. Caseless stays winning.

e: to be fair I totally understand why people use a case, but I just can't take a $1200 + tax piece of technology with poo poo like titanium rails and stuff it in a case. That cannot be allowed to happen. And the fees for maintaining that type of usage have never been cheaper (I mean cmon holy gently caress $29 and they slap you a new phone? Mama mia)

Even the $99 for a full case repair or two over the life of the phone isn't that bad amortized over the 3 years that I go between new phones.

Taima fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 26, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Honestly I just find that phones always end up feeling too big with a case. Even my little 13 mini just feels... less ergonomic?
I don't have the kind of job or lifestyle where a case is really necessary though. I always like seeing those crazy big hurt locker cases that friends who work on building sites always have.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is my nightmare. I was just worrying about it last night :magical:

Guess I am gonna buy a real alarm clock if it is that important.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Honestly I just find that phones always end up feeling too big with a case. Even my little 13 mini just feels... less ergonomic?
I don't have the kind of job or lifestyle where a case is really necessary though. I always like seeing those crazy big hurt locker cases that friends who work on building sites always have.
I went caseless until the glass backs got introduced.

If you’d rather be safe, then get Applecare and maybe slap one of their cases on (or another company’s thin case) to avoid any scuffs or scrapes from modest falls. Then if you do have a freak accident you’re covered.

I hate how most cases add bulk to phones, and I can say the Apple cases don’t really do that. Of course, any thin case from a reputable company should feel the same if you’d rather not pay Tim’s Tax.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Surprise T Rex posted:

Does anyone use a good wireless CarPlay adapter? With new phone having MagSafe I’m considering one so I can just get into car and put it on a charger but if I have to plug in anyway that sort of defeats the purpose.

Looks like the Ottocast is well reviewed but (of course) the most expensive.

Carlinkit sells one on Amazon that works well enough. Just plug the dongle to the wire where the iPhone was plugged in and you’re good to go. It even has another usb A port on the side for charging the phone still

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have an Ottocast and it’s been pretty unreliable in my car. I frequently have to unplug it and wait a few seconds before plugging it back in to get it to start working. The audio stream will also start to lag and then glitch out when the phone does something intensive.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

I went caseless until the glass backs got introduced.

If you’d rather be safe, then get Applecare and maybe slap one of their cases on (or another company’s thin case) to avoid any scuffs or scrapes from modest falls. Then if you do have a freak accident you’re covered.

I hate how most cases add bulk to phones, and I can say the Apple cases don’t really do that. Of course, any thin case from a reputable company should feel the same if you’d rather not pay Tim’s Tax.

Honestly even the apple cases add a bit too much bulk for my liking. And the materials of their past cases - either the silicon or the leather - have felt a little off.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
the best part about not using a case on your phone is how loving petrified other people are when you hand it to them. I recently gave some poor lady my phone to take a picture of us while we were on a trip and she took it from me like it was ancient porcelain.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbhRrLuy0tc

Ahahah suck it crapple.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

pzy posted:

I have dual eSim and wanted to use the action button to switch between the two cellular data providers, but the only thing available in Shortcuts is "toggle the cellular plan" which disables/enables individual plans. Annoying!

Found this which works great!

pzy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been using the default ringtone for like 8 years but yo these newest ones sound great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love the new ringtones but I also hate hearing ringtones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not letting you access the regular alarm tones with the sleep cycle alarm loving sucks for no reason.