Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

Online, of course, it's a lot harder until you get jumpscared with their "conversions"

Is that a common problem?

I just like the cool organ missle tank and completely over the top catholic theming on them :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Chaos only exists at human head height.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Is that a common problem?

I just like the cool organ missle tank and completely over the top catholic theming on them :ohdear:

Nah, the bad type of weirdos stick out but IME they're much rarer than they used to be

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's not so bad now yeah, just be wary whenever someone wants to show you their Chaos Sisters or they are really into anime head replacements.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

oh god, well good to know

never gonna forget the dude that showed up to a modern MTG event one day rocking the ole scantily clad anime play mat. thankfully there's not many of those guys around anymore in magic either

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I work with a guy from time to time who not only collects SoB but he's also into Hentai. Make whatever conclusions you want about him as a person based on that information.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Regardless of other factors, if people around you know you are into hentai, something has gone wrong

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Regardless of other factors, if people around you know you are into hentai, something has gone wrong

I've been the teacher in this article enough times to have made it become depressing

edit: timg

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 25, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I work with a guy from time to time who not only collects SoB but he's also into Hentai. Make whatever conclusions you want about him as a person based on that information.

yeah I feel like if he's known as the hentai guy something has gone wrong somewhere

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I am very stoked for the final "End and the Death"

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

Chaos only exists at human head height.

Sign outside the Eye of Terror: "You Must Be This Tall to Ride"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

He admitted to me that he didn't want to take an at home exam for his CompTIA certification because it would require him to take a 360 webcam view of his room and his computer and he didn't want to take down his hentai stickers.

Other than that... he's an ok dude but his girlfriend
must be a complete deviant like him or an absolute saint. Which might explain what led him to start collecting Sisters.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 25, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

yeah it's pretty wild that nobody else figured out you could just duck underneath chaos this whole time; the best innovations are the simplest

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Captain Magic posted:

yeah it's pretty wild that nobody else figured out you could just duck underneath chaos this whole time; the best innovations are the simplest

They say that the primarchs took a team photo at the Ullanor Triumph and all the loyalists turned out to be kneeling in the front row when Erebus took the picture.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Me too.

Also part two.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Does anyone play 30k/Horus Heresy ITT? I’m giving serious thought to dipping a toe in but only if I can use my existing rhinos, predators, vindicators and land raider. I know there are Deimos pattern Horus heresy specific versions of some of these, just curious about how different they are and how likely the community is to frown upon that sort of thing.

Some other people covered most of this but a handful of 40K units are included in the 30K Legacies doc, which, confusingly, is considered current rules and not a retirement home for discontinued units (even if some of the units are indeed discontinued). Only the most bizarre weirdo cares about things like the difference between the Land Raider Phobos (40K) and Land Raider Proteus (30K or original), though.

Funny story, though, 40K terminators are arguably better than any of the 30K ones. While they only have a 2+/5++ and can't sweep, combining the disadvantages of both Tataros and Cataphract, they're cheaper non-compulsory Troops instead of Elites and have a bunch of 40K weapon options that are normally really rare in 30K.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Same!

(Especially since Alecto the Ninth looks like it's being postponed until next year, which is fine, but I was so excited for both the HH and Locked Tomb to release their final books within a month of each other... at least this means I get to do a third read-thru next year!)

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
Hey y'all! I just started assembling my imperial guardsmen after they have been sitting in boxes for a decade or more at this point, and was wondering where people source stuff to equip their guardsmen with alternate weapons. Id like to give mine plasma guns and meltas, but I can't find those on the GW website. I was also wondering if theres any recommendations for what's "meta" for the imperial guard, so I don't accidentally make a totally non-viable army. The stuff I currently have is:

1 Chimera, 1 Valkyrie, 1 Manticore, A bunch of assorted cadians w/ some heavy weapons teams, and a Baneblade. I used to have a leman russ demolisher but unless I can find one of the tracks it's not viable atm.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lady Militant posted:

Hey y'all! I just started assembling my imperial guardsmen after they have been sitting in boxes for a decade or more at this point, and was wondering where people source stuff to equip their guardsmen with alternate weapons. Id like to give mine plasma guns and meltas, but I can't find those on the GW website. I was also wondering if theres any recommendations for what's "meta" for the imperial guard, so I don't accidentally make a totally non-viable army. The stuff I currently have is:

1 Chimera, 1 Valkyrie, 1 Manticore, A bunch of assorted cadians w/ some heavy weapons teams, and a Baneblade. I used to have a leman russ demolisher but unless I can find one of the tracks it's not viable atm.

So they used to sell plasma and melta guns as seperate blisters because they didn't come in the box set, but now they do come in the box set so they don't sell them.

They used to sell space marine plasma guns that you could easily stick in the place of the grenade launcher, but they don't sell those anymore either.

On top of that, what used to be "Cadian Shock Troops" are now "Infantry Squads" and there's a totally new box for "Cadian Shock Troops".

What's the difference? Well the new Cadians take two special weapons and the new Infantry Squad only takes one, but they can take a heavy weapon.

So the only reason right now to use the infantry squad is if you're taking a heavy weapon as part of the team, other than that you're taking Cadian Shock Troops.

The meta for guard right now is basically 5/6 infantry squads max and then the rest is a variety of tanks. Artillery spam does OK but not great. Leman Russ wise the normal Battle Cannon is the best DPS (DPT? DPA?) but the good news is the new Russ kit comes with all the options and it's easy to magnetise.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I've always thought it was a huge mistake to try to humanize chaos followers and make them into tragically misguided figures, rather than purely evil and insane people twisted by forces beyond their control.

See I like what they’ve done with chaos. They mostly being Dembski-Bowden I guess. I like how from the perspective of the chaos side, their choices make sense in the moment. It’s a slow decline and not all of them are on the same path or at the same stage. It’s neat seeing stuff like dedicated religious word bearers and the night lords hypocritically scoffing and the black legion treating them more like the Greek pantheon here they know chaos is assholes but they’ll worship for boons as needed. Then there’s dudes who just want to rebel against the imperium and associate with chaos out of necessity.

In general I kinda prefer some sane chaos, some blood axes, new(older than some kids currently playing Warhammer)crons, etc. I think factions that have motivations and dialogue, even with their mortal enemies, are more fun than literal ALWAYS WAR FOREVER. Tyranids should be the only incompréhensible faction.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lady Militant posted:

lots of 3rd party suppliers sell special weapon variants, try anvil industries or bitsofwar.com etc

have you played 40k in 10+ years?

If you're a regular player - you know that meta will pass you by while you assemble your dudes (unless you buy a commission army)

If you're just getting back into it after a long time away or you're brand new - my advice is to buy and assemble what you think is cool, because eventually it will be meta

remember - all vehicles you can get parts for online, and you should magnetize as much as you can when building so you can get the most from your models. once you get the hang of it it's quite easy

enjoy man! welcome to the guard, son, etc

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

On top of that, what used to be "Cadian Shock Troops" are now "Infantry Squads" and there's a totally new box for "Cadian Shock Troops", but they don't sell those anymore either.

Fixed. :v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think factions that have motivations and dialogue, even with their mortal enemies, are more fun than literal ALWAYS WAR FOREVER. Tyranids should be the only incompréhensible faction.

It's okay, he's just admiring the shape of your skull.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

What is actually available on the US website right now? Dice and glue?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

What is actually available on the US website right now? Dice and glue?

It's more that the old Cadian squads aren't listed on the webstore still.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Lady Militant posted:

There's a HH special weapons box with ten each of plasma and melta guns (as well as a bunch of other HH marine guns that don't matter for IG):

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-FI/legiones-astartes-special-weapons-upgrade-set-2022

They may require some minor converting to remove the built in power armor gauntlets, depending on how much you care about that sort of detail. For table top quality they can just be painted as gloves.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
For a slightly more poor person option, here's a melta gun converted out of a flamer, and a plasma gun conversion based on a space marine plasma pistol. Both can be mated to a lasgun shoulder stock pretty easily.

For the melta gun, just file the barrel shroud into cylinder shape and glue some random canister-like bit to the side.

Plasma pistol conversion on the left, HH plasma gun on the right. The standard old Cadian left arm doesn't quite line up with the astartes hand, but it's pretty easy to add some green stuff at the shoulder to widen the grip, if you care about that.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Where the hell are my 40k chaos dwarves? Come on GW this stuff writes itself. The Leagues of Votann Hashut, with Hashut being a fully sentient (non daemon possessed) Ancestor Core way out in the Halo stars region that's seeking full empyric apotheosis without the help of the big 4... and it's currently succeeding.

Now give me some curly beards, tusks, bulls, and tall hats.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Decorus posted:

For a slightly more poor person option, here's a melta gun converted out of a flamer, and a plasma gun conversion based on a space marine plasma pistol. Both can be mated to a lasgun shoulder stock pretty easily.

For the melta gun, just file the barrel shroud into cylinder shape and glue some random canister-like bit to the side.

Plasma pistol conversion on the left, HH plasma gun on the right. The standard old Cadian left arm doesn't quite line up with the astartes hand, but it's pretty easy to add some green stuff at the shoulder to widen the grip, if you care about that.

Nice work and nice guard duders.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, this is very stupid and corny, but I want to roll an Idea by you guys to see what you think.

I have been getting a good amount of success with making and meeting new friends thanks to warhammer, I love this hobby and everything about it, I am thinking of trying to approach GW and white dwarf or something to try and be some sort of 'influencer' of some sorts, basically be a corporate shill , in exchange for being sponsored and getting access to new releases, combat patrols etc. so I can have more stuff to play with people, run some local games, and teach them the game without buying all the combat patrol factions out of my own pocket. I think the fact that I'm in a geographically new location for GW with a new market might be interesting to them? do you guys know anything about their influencer program? I dunno this is just a brain fart I'm having.

Also, I am being approached by people to paint minis for them for money, I might end up fleecing them because this to me is something I do for relaxation and I dont want to turn it into my career so I'll probably overcharge them and do it occasionally, I have the advantage of being probably the only semi-decent miniature painter within a 1000km radius of where I live, the closest paid miniature painting service are the forest Kobolds of Poland, what's you guys experience with taking commissions and any tips or advice?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 26, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Their influencer program consists of people with big instagram accounts and/or big youtubes and/or websites like goonhammer. I'm not aware of a single point of contact if you wanted to try and email them with your pitch. Honestly I think there is no way they sponsor a WH club, especially since you don't have an angle like "teaching orphaned kids with cancer to play 40K".

Just like my opinion before bed though :)

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, this is very stupid and corny, but I want to roll an Idea by you guys to see what you think.

I have been getting a good amount of success with making and meeting new friends thanks to warhammer, I love this hobby and everything about it, I am thinking of trying to approach GW and white dwarf or something to try and be some sort of 'influencer' of some sorts, basically be a corporate shill , in exchange for being sponsored and getting access to new releases, combat patrols etc. so I can have more stuff to play with people, run some local games, and teach them the game without buying all the combat patrol factions out of my own pocket. I think the fact that I'm in a geographically new location for GW with a new market might be interesting to them? do you guys know anything about their influencer program? I dunno this is just a brain fart I'm having.

It was tried during 9th, I believe, and the market wasn't even big enough for the regional distributor to keep selling in the Bahrain gaming store much less give influencer perks.

Could go different now, who knows?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Their influencer program consists of people with big instagram accounts and/or big youtubes and/or websites like goonhammer. I'm not aware of a single point of contact if you wanted to try and email them with your pitch. Honestly I think there is no way they sponsor a WH club, especially since you don't have an angle like "teaching orphaned kids with cancer to play 40K".

Just like my opinion before bed though :)

A friend of mine makes youtube boardgame reviews, his channel isn't all that big but GW keep sending him poo poo (usually the release box sets or the "this game is an excuse to sell miniatures" boxed games), despite him telling them "hey that's outside the scope of my channel", so I guess what I'm saying is start a new job as a youtuber

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ok ill send an email or something and see what happens, im not a retailer so im not gonna ask for pallets i jusy wanna see if i can get a couple extra combat patrols and codexes thrown my way.

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Say what you will about the rules, the models are the best that they've ever been, what are you people talking about

Of the same opinion, what they are putting out is amazing. Have yet to had success with 3d printers producing something of the same quality. The product is great... the company not so much.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough, Peachy had an interview with the former commissioning editor on their YT channel about that program recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvqqPJM7fWg

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Demilich posted:

Where the hell are my 40k chaos dwarves? Come on GW this stuff writes itself. The Leagues of Votann Hashut, with Hashut being a fully sentient (non daemon possessed) Ancestor Core way out in the Halo stars region that's seeking full empyric apotheosis without the help of the big 4... and it's currently succeeding.

Now give me some curly beards, tusks, bulls, and tall hats.

as funny as it would be to have Vashtorr upstaged by a dwarven toaster i feel like niche protection, if nothing else, should give him an out here

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok ill send an email or something and see what happens, im not a retailer so im not gonna ask for pallets i jusy wanna see if i can get a couple extra combat patrols and codexes thrown my way.

My understanding is that it sort of goes in the other direction - you make content and then they start supporting you once they see what you’re up to. You may have an advantage since there’s not very much Arabic-language Warhammer content out there, and it’s an untapped market (and based on my friends from college there are a lot of Arabic-speaking guys who would love to paint space marines if there was a community interested in serving them).

My suggestion is to try to record a video or podcast or something, or even do a “paint and chill” stream for your friends on Twitch, and see what happens. If you get a good response you can package that up and send it to GW.

Written warhammer content is a tougher sell if you’re not on a platform like Goonhammer, but if that’s what you’re interested in, PM me. I have a couple of friends who write for well established warhammer sites/run well established warhammer channels and I could put you in touch if you want.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So a minor 40k lore question: do Inquisitors have some document, badge, or regalia that firmly establishes that they're an Inquisitor (for times when they need that authority and aren't operating undercover, obviously), and what would it be?

e: nevermind, just needed to google a little harder -- i was looking for the Inquisitorial Rosette

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/26/the-sternguard-and-terminator-kits-make-for-the-fanciest-space-marines-in-the-imperium/

For those looking to buy the Termies or Sternguard, here's a look at their sprues.