Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean you edited your post while I was responding to agree with that so I don't know what else you want me to tell you :v:

quote:

"competent" or "decent" isn't "playoff caliber"

I'm not trying to be overly pedantic, and I apologize for being dismissive with my last post, but your point I was replying to implies none of Maeda, Berrios etc are play off caliber starters. Then suddenly conversation moved to they aren't top of the rotation playoff starters, which if that was your original point, we'd have agreed from the start. Dobnak is the lone post-rebuild starter who doesn't belong, and that's because Pineda was suspended very late in the season. Maeda, Berrios, and Odorizzi threw 19 IP and gave up 4 ER across 4 postseason starts. The Twins scored 1 run in 3 of those games. Ervin Santana is really the only decent starter to struggle in the postseason (post-rebuild). It's a mixed bag when you go further back, but I acknowledged that out of the gate. And in those games, it was just bad all around, with run scoring really becoming an issue beginning in 2006. You're right that better pitching might have shut down an opponent in a way Berrios and co couldn't, but that's kinda irrelevant with the run production they've gotten. Teams still average around 4 runs/game in the postseason, again, the Twins are barely clearing 2 of late.

Anyway, we are both believers in this staff, it seems, and that's what matters now.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah yes, legendary playoff superstar Clayton Kershaw

True! But this is sort of my larger point. Having an ace doesn't guarantee poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

I'm not trying to be overly pedantic, and I apologize for being dismissive with my last post, but your point I was replying to implies none of Maeda, Berrios etc are play off caliber starters. Then suddenly conversation moved to they aren't top of the rotation playoff starters, which if that was your original point, we'd have agreed from the start. Dobnak is the lone post-rebuild starter who doesn't belong, and that's because Pineda was suspended very late in the season. Maeda, Berrios, and Odorizzi threw 19 IP and gave up 4 ER across 4 postseason starts. The Twins scored 1 run in 3 of those games. Ervin Santana is really the only decent starter to struggle in the postseason (post-rebuild). It's a mixed bag when you go further back, but I acknowledged that out of the gate. And in those games, it was just bad all around, with run scoring really becoming an issue beginning in 2006. You're right that better pitching might have shut down an opponent in a way Berrios and co couldn't, but that's kinda irrelevant with the run production they've gotten. Teams still average around 4 runs/game in the postseason, again, the Twins are barely clearing 2 of late.

Anyway, we are both believers in this staff, it seems, and that's what matters now.

True! But this is sort of my larger point. Having an ace doesn't guarantee poo poo.

Yeah, I should have worded it better. When I said "Playoff caliber starting pitching" I was referring to the staff as a whole, so guys pitching "out of position" meant that they weren't playoff caliber from that standpoint. Mostly the Twins have just lacked that Playoff Ace and now it feels like they have two of them and it's an exciting feeling that will make the crushing defeat that much worse next week

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, I should have worded it better. When I said "Playoff caliber starting pitching" I was referring to the staff as a whole, so guys pitching "out of position" meant that they weren't playoff caliber from that standpoint. Mostly the Twins have just lacked that Playoff Ace and now it feels like they have two of them and it's an exciting feeling that will make the crushing defeat that much worse next week

Gotcha, and yea, I'm hyped too. I also think the bullpen is going to be a legitimate strength. Stewart can jump past Jax and Pagan (pushing them down to better fits), while Varland and Paddack (+Maeda?) give them dudes that can bridge to the late game. It's kinda wild how it's coming together at the end.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Vlad is good again so the Jays rock

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just want to say that the weekend’s results were pleasing to me and that I hope the Rangers win all their remaining games and the Astros lose all of theirs and also cease to exist.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I just want to say that the weekend’s results were pleasing to me and that I hope the Rangers win all their remaining games and the Astros lose all of theirs and also cease to exist.

:yeah:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

At this point, I agree

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pretty sure I'm GOMSing it up to ight because it's baseball that's being played that affects the baseball I'd watch but isn't being played.

I mean, if I remember by that point.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow The Cubs, so exciting to have this high stakes baseball and I am not at all feeling sick when I look at the remaining schedule

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

maffew buildings posted:

wow The Cubs, so exciting to have this high stakes baseball and I am not at all feeling sick when I look at the remaining schedule

To be honest, the Cubs just missing out on the playoffs won’t be the worst thing to happen to a Chicago sports team this month.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Update on the Guaranteed Rate shooting, nothing conclusive but anonymous police sources say the stray bullet from outside theory isn't plausible and claim the nature of the wound points to an accidental discharge of a weapon the victim was carrying.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Update on the Guaranteed Rate shooting, nothing conclusive but anonymous police sources say the stray bullet from outside theory isn't plausible and claim the nature of the wound points to an accidental discharge of a weapon the victim was carrying.

Fat rolls theory is still alive

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Fat rolls theory is still alive

Congealed carry

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Guaranteed Rate of Fire

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m shocked both schwarber and castellanos ended up being good.

Usually FAs are terrible and bad

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
serving gunt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

Schwarber has truly reached his final form. 45 HR's but somehow barely cracking an .800 OPS, .197 BA but paired with a .345 OBP, 100 RBI's but also a league leading 210 K's, 0.6 bWAR because he's an absolute lummox who makes Castellanos look like a GG'er.

I miss him, please send him back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shut up about defense for the love of god

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It’s half the game bub

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

euphronius posted:

Shut up about defense for the love of god

Dave Dombrowski sock account spotted

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thank you Yankees for winning a baseball game. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go furiously scrub the hands that just typed this post.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

Thank you Yankees for winning a baseball game. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go furiously scrub the hands that just typed this post.

Out! Out Damned spot!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GalacticAcid posted:

It’s half the game bub

Phillies were two wins away with a team of DHs

Defense is overrated

euphronius posted:

Phillies win the WS if this year Castellanos showed up last year

:(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

It’s half the game bub

The game is at least split into thirds

I’d say it’s 70% pitching, 25% hitting, 4% defense, 1% base running

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's way bigger than 4%, ask Nelson Cruz in 2011

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Defense is overrated
counterpoint: defense is cool

exhibit A: Mookie Betts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Phillies were two wins away with a team of DHs

Defense is overrated

Phillies win the WS if this year Castellanos showed up last year

:(

Phillies win the WS if the Astros don't make two ridiculous defensive plays late in the game in game 5

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

The amount of bows the Yankees are going to take for finishing over 500 this season is going to be great.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I will not say I'm happy the Yankees won but I am happy the Diamondbacks lost.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

At least 30% of that pitching is the defense behind them

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

euphronius posted:

4% defense

asinine

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I guess Simmons took Philly’s appreciation of defense with him, huh?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

euphronius posted:

Billy Beane ca 2003 account spotted

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Dbacks are bad

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Someone tell the Jays front office before they mistakenly trade a top 5 prospect!!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean like all sports baseball is inherently 50% offense and 50% defense. Offense is probably like 90% hitting 10% baserunning. Defense has gotten to be more and more about pitching and less and less about fielding as the strikeout rate has soared, it's probably eh around 35% pitching 15% fielding at this point.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Look where your GOMSing has gotten you all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not all sports are 50 /50

Nba basketball is probably 90/10

Nfl football is down to who has the better qb most of the time. So that’s like 99/1

I haven’t seen hockey in 25 years idk

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
nah I've been assured QB isn't always best, it's a team effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Baseball is 1% Gomspiration and 99% Cubspiration.