Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The gently caress is a Spice Kitchen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's an opulent old world mansion thing where it would be a kitchen that was closed off from the rest of the house so if you're help is cooking peppers or any kind of spicy thing that can aerosolize, it doesn't stink up the whole house.

I think they're from before modern ventilation solutions.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Second kitchens are common in Asian cultures for cooking spices and deep frying. You see a lot in Chinese and Vietnamese neighborhoods in Vancouver. Obviously way less common these days with the price of a square foot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dillbag posted:

Second kitchens are common in Asian cultures for cooking spices and deep frying. You see a lot in Chinese and Vietnamese neighborhoods in Vancouver. Obviously way less common these days with the price of a square foot.

Yeah my family member has one in a place on white rock beach, it's nice I guess but I've never seen them (old white couple) use it. They say it's for when they need a live-in nurse later on which, okay I guess.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A bunch of my (now dead) old rear end Italian relatives all had two kitchens in their houses.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

A bunch of my (now dead) old rear end Italian relatives all had two kitchens in their houses.

My mom has two. Well, a kitchen upstairs and a stove and fridge in the laundry room. Was like that when we bought the place. Probably not up to code, I'm "excited" to see what comes up when she tries to sell it. She likes it, I think because she's not worried about cooking and making a mess around her guests.

My uncle and his son both do because they both bought duplexes. My uncle remodeled the entire building so it flows as a single house, but left the upstairs kitchen. My cousin just made his upstairs an art studio.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 25, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My grandparents had a canning kitchen adjacent to their root cellar in the basement of their farmhouse. It was an ideal setup for processing massive amounts of vegetables for the winter.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

A neighborhood I lived in had houses built in the late 50s and early 60s. A common feature was the summer kitchen in the basement. It was basically a stove in the basement somewhere so that you didn’t heat the hell out of the main floor of your house while cooking something all day in the heat of summer. My previous house also had pocket doors that could close the kitchen off from the rest of the house if needed.

By the time I lived there it had central air conditioning, but I am guessing it wasn’t available or super common when everything was built back then.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Computer viking posted:

Some quick googling led to the planning documents, which labeled it as the Stanomir Residence.

Nice find, 'Keay Cecco Architecture LTD' ought to have their licenses stripped for that abomination. Also wow that terrible drawing set, hopefully there was an actual construction set later although based on the results I wouldn't be surprised if the contractor was just winging it with a bottle of Mad Dog in hand at all times.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Crackhead construction: Man Called Fran

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

Crackhead construction: Man Called Fran

This was beautiful. I feel like I know these guys.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I feel like if "there's a mysterious sewage smell we can't find the location of" then the 100 year old toilet on old pipes might be the first place I'd consider, idk. Like, just shut the door on that bathroom and the smell would build just like the disgusting smell from the nappy bin in my bathroom (the nappies are not for me. Yet.).

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
At my work we had sewer gas smells in the basement. It turns out that the bathroom floor drain p-trap was drying up and letting the gas in.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We zigazigaren't going to tell you.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

At my work we had sewer gas smells in the basement. It turns out that the bathroom floor drain p-trap was drying up and letting the gas in.

We don't use the kids' bathtub that much (we bathe them in our bathtub) so I make sure to run it for a minute it two to fill the p-trap every couple months.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Canuckistan posted:

I've heard you can pour some cooking oil down the drain so it'll float on top of the water and keep it from evaporating. Never had a need to try it though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

I've heard you can pour some cooking oil down the drain so it'll float on top of the water and keep it from evaporating. Never had a need to try it though.

I heard if you drink your own urine in the morning, you can get some nutrients back into the system. Never had a need to try though

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nitrox posted:

I heard if you drink your own urine in the morning, you can get some nutrients back into the system. Never had a need to try though

Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning, dude.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cat Hatter posted:

Mineral oil. Please do not pour cooking oil down a drain ever.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sirotan posted:

Mineral oil. Please do not pour cooking oil down a drain ever.

I've heard both. I actually had mineral oil typed in but changed it to something more people already have in the house. Neither is good to put in a drain but we're talking about an ounce down a drain that will basically never be used. Mineral oil at least has the advantage of not ever going rancid, but if you get a fatberg from a couple spoonfuls of olive oil every couple years then you probably have other problems with your pipes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cat Hatter posted:

I've heard both. I actually had mineral oil typed in but changed it to something more people already have in the house. Neither is good to put in a drain but we're talking about an ounce down a drain that will basically never be used. Mineral oil at least has the advantage of not ever going rancid, but if you get a fatberg from a couple spoonfuls of olive oil every couple years then you probably have other problems with your pipes.

For most drains you should be able to get some form of plug that allows water and etc. to pass but function dry as well. Some of them have a rubber flap that pops back into place afterwards, others fill up like a normal trap but are spring-loaded so that when they're empty they snap shut.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PurpleXVI posted:

For most drains you should be able to get some form of plug that allows water and etc. to pass but function dry as well. Some of them have a rubber flap that pops back into place afterwards, others fill up like a normal trap but are spring-loaded so that when they're empty they snap shut.

Too high tech. I'm thinking a piece of foam rubber that floats. Put it on top of the drain and it'll seal the opening. Basement starts flooding or a kid runs a bath without paying attention, it floats away to let most of the water flow down the drain.

Plastic ball on a seat works too.

Point is, there's a range of options for all levels of effort.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enos Cabell posted:

My grandparents had a canning kitchen adjacent to their root cellar in the basement of their farmhouse. It was an ideal setup for processing massive amounts of vegetables for the winter.

Yep, same. House I grew up in had two, the regular main floor one we used for everything, and the canning kitchen in the cellar that only got used to keep stuff warm on holidays and fall canning/preserving season.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cat Hatter posted:

You get a better effect if you use fat that hardens, heat up some lard instead and pour it down the drain.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Best to send some flushable wet wipes down there too, maybe a few tampons

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Expanding foam will give the best seal

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

horse cum

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I’ve always just used mortar. I like that I can trowel it smooth over the top for a finished look.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

You can get mineral oil for treating wood cutting boards/counters at Home Depot or almost any cooking supply store. It also doesn’t go rancid or attract pests.

It’s commonly used in the drain trap of no flush urinals in Canada, so I can’t imagine it’s that bad for plumbing in the quantities used to fill a trap and remains liquid to low temps.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MrAmazing posted:

You can get mineral oil for treating wood cutting boards/counters at Home Depot or almost any cooking supply store. It also doesn’t go rancid or attract pests.

It’s commonly used in the drain trap of no flush urinals in Canada, so I can’t imagine it’s that bad for plumbing in the quantities used to fill a trap and remains liquid to low temps.

Yeah, mineral oil is fine. Cooking oil will gradually polymerize and gunk up your plumbing. It can be broken up with lye, but its best not to create the problem in the first place.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Too much work. Unless you brought enough for everybody

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Nitrox posted:

Too much work. Unless you brought enough for everybody

If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MrAmazing posted:

Hell, given the quantities we're talking about even motor oil would probably be fine. I agree that mineral oil is the correct choice if you're not too lazy to go to practically any store though.

Actual vegetable oil tip though, get a lab bottle like chemists use to dispense di water. People try putting vegetable oil in other kinds of squeeze bottles then complain about it leaking past the threads. Lab bottles remain upright and pull from the bottom so it never encounters the threads. "Oh, but what about when the temperature changes and some gets pushed out?" Put a tiny breather hole near the top so the bottle can't pressurize unless you're covering it with your finger.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Oil traps in plumbing are already a thing - that's basically how waterless urinals work. I don't know exactly what sort of fluid they use, but I'd be surpried if it was much more than mineral oil with some deoderizer mixed in.

https://www.waterless.com/how-do-waterless-urinals-work

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Crappy Construction: Urinals, how do they work?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Canuckistan posted:

I think you just solved my occasion sewer smell in my utility room! Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

raggedphoto posted:

I think you just solved my occasion sewer smell in my utility room! Thanks!

Yeah, I just bought a place with a toilet in the basement I rarely see myself using and it has me taking notes!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just remember you don't need to completely fill the trap with your oil of choice (just go buy some mineral oil). Fill it with water and then put a tiny bit of oil on top to seal it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nitrox posted:

Crappy Construction: Urinals, how do they work?

I've seen enough drunk guys demonstrate at sporting events that I definitely know how they don't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Between the spice and the piss drinking this is getting very Fremen