Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I see a lot of people in this thread not well versed on Euphronius Thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

euphronius posted:

Not all sports are 50 /50

Nba basketball is probably 90/10

Nfl football is down to who has the better qb most of the time. So that’s like 99/1

I haven’t seen hockey in 25 years idk

Yeah pass rush doesn't matter at all, if the QB gets hurried 25 times in a game it's his fault

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It didn’t matter in the Super Bowl.

But that is getting into to side paths.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I see a lot of people in this thread not well versed on Euphronius Thought.

just playing along, plus taking the opportunity to invoke a legendary post

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

euphronius posted:

It didn’t matter in the Super Bowl.

But that is getting into to side paths.

The Chiefs won because they forced a fumble from Hurts

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So the rumor is Buck is 50/50 to come back. I don’t know how to go to that retread comming off this shitbox of a wasted season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Has any manager ever actually survived being 50/50 to come back?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

wow showalter had a bad year but you shouldn't call him that

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
70% pitching. What on earth are you talking about.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

davecrazy posted:

So the rumor is Buck is 50/50 to come back. I don’t know how to go to that retread comming off this shitbox of a wasted season.

The Mets are going to get Counsell which would be a great hire.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

70% pitching. What on earth are you talking about.

50% throwing the ball, 20% DHing. You'd think eliminating pitchers hitting would change the numbers, but Ohtani has single-handedly become that 20%

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Milovan Drecun posted:

50% throwing the ball, 20% DHing. You'd think eliminating pitchers hitting would change the numbers, but Ohtani has single-handedly become that 20%

This checks out

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TTO% is 34.5 this year, which means 65.5% of PA's end with a ball in play.

Pitchers have roughly 50% influence on batted ball results, i.e. generating weak contact, while the defense behind them is responsible for the other half of batted ball results.

Thus on the defensive side, pitching is 34.5% plus half of the 65.5% balls in play = 67% pitching and 33% fielding.

At the top level the game tautologically must be 50% offense and 50% defense. If a guy hits a home run is that the hitter's success or the pitcher's failure? It is both, in equal parts.

Thus baseball is:
-50% offense (baserunning is some minority of this)
-33.5% pitching
-16.5% fielding

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

bawfuls posted:

Pitchers have roughly 50% influence on batted ball results, i.e. generating weak contact, while the defense behind them is responsible for the other half of batted ball results.

Thus on the defensive side, pitching is 34.5% plus half of the 65.5% balls in play = 67% pitching and 33% fielding.

At the top level the game tautologically must be 50% offense and 50% defense. If a guy hits a home run is that the hitter's success or the pitcher's failure? It is both, in equal parts.

Thus baseball is:
-33.5% pitching
-16.5% fielding

Offense must be slightly higher than defense because intentional walks represent good offensive play, but do not reflect on pitching or defense.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Baseball is 1% Gomspiration and 99% Cubspiration.

99% of Cubsposting is half-mental

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

IBBs fall under the category of Managin’

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nodoze posted:

The Chiefs won because they forced a fumble from Hurts

No they didn't

Hurts dropped the ball all by himself

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Thus baseball is:
-33.5% pitching
-16.5% fielding

what if you add Kurt Angle to the mix

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

20% gomsing 80% chaos

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

No they didn't

Hurts dropped the ball all by himself

I'm pretty sure that's :thejoke:. I laughed, anyway.

edit: I mean I laughed at the post, although it is also true that I laughed when Hurts blew the Super Bowl by just dropping the ball on the ground for no reason

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
No offense to the Brewers but Counsell’s management style is unwatchable. I absolutely hate his mid-inning matchup garbage and he looks like the world’s most humorless piece of poo poo with an actual thick stick up his rear end. He should be banned from the sport. I hope the Mets don’t hire him just because I’m close to Citi and like to attend games there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Universal Baseball Association is a fantastic book,by the way. I highly recommend it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

what if you add Kurt Angle to the mix

kurt andle KNNNNNOOOOOOOWWS he can't win, so he even won't (loud breath through roid-gut) try

thus, 0%

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

No offense to the Brewers but Counsell’s management style is unwatchable. I absolutely hate his mid-inning matchup garbage and he looks like the world’s most humorless piece of poo poo with an actual thick stick up his rear end. He should be banned from the sport. I hope the Mets don’t hire him just because I’m close to Citi and like to attend games there.

How can you trust a man with that batting stance?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I expected the Mets to suck but the Padres
continually finding ways to lose despite a solid as gently caress run diff is just wild to me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

not even the first time this century the padres have emptied out their farm and pocketbooks then fallen on their faces. last time they sold right away and rebooted, wonder if they do it again

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

not even the first time this century the padres have emptied out their farm and pocketbooks then fallen on their faces. last time they sold right away and rebooted, wonder if they do it again

MLBTR posted:

However, the organization doesn’t seem to be writing off 2023 to just misfortune, as Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres are planning a different strategy for next season. This includes “player commitments of around $200MM,” as Acee writes that the payroll cut is “in part because they are out of compliance with MLB regulations regarding their debt service ratio.”

Less spending isn’t necessarily a huge surprise, as the Friars have a lot of money coming off the books anyway in terms of pending free agents and several contractual options and may or may not be exercised. However, what might count as eye-opening is the fact that president of baseball operations A.J. Preller might not necessarily be back, as “no decisions have been made regarding who will be running or helping to run the Padres’ baseball operations department beyond this season.”

Sounds like there's gonna be a shakeup of some sort for sure.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I pray for death

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Lets go the *deep, reluctant sigh* Houston Astros.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 26, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

Lets go the *sigh* Houston Astros.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/AJCassavell/status/1706537513379405901

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What do they mean "not making himself available" in regards to Hader? Did Melvin ring the pen to get Hader up and he said "no skip I'm only available for the ninth" because otherwise Hader's got no say in the call for him not coming out for the four out save.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah Melvin wasn't exactly forthcoming either

https://twitter.com/Pimp_Lord619/status/1706527391827562940

The thought process from Hader is baffling too because if he did refuse to do it like, what in the gently caress. Are you the closer or not? Get in there and shut them down.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

tadashi posted:

How can you trust a man with that batting stance?

Nail on the head. That stance was obscene attention-seeking, presaging his managerial style.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sydin posted:

What do they mean "not making himself available" in regards to Hader? Did Melvin ring the pen to get Hader up and he said "no skip I'm only available for the ninth" because otherwise Hader's got no say in the call for him not coming out for the four out save.

See attachment but if Hader refuses to perform services they could theoretically terminate him under 7(c), and the usual guaranteed pay only applies to termination via 7(b)

Page 411 of the CBA plus see the section on termination pay https://www.mlbplayers.com/cba

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 26, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean I sometimes make myself unavailable for work too

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rangers making it hard for the Twins to sneak the number two seed :manning:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Also Hader: "This is my struggle"