Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

tango alpha delta posted:

Has anyone else had to endure an IdeaGuy, who, after playing with ChatGPT, declares with supreme confidence that he doesn’t need devs to build his dream app now!

Yes I have been on twitter.

It’s actually worked out for a few people. They made and sold some small apps in the App Store and gained probably thousands of new followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Has anyone else had to endure an IdeaGuy, who, after playing with ChatGPT, declares with supreme confidence that he doesn’t need devs to build his dream app now!

I mean good riddance to that dude, go build your dream app and stop harassing devs. It's basically win win all around.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah anything to just get them to leave the room, honestly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DoctorTristan posted:

We’re not all that huge by today’s reckoning - total db storage is measured in low numbers of terabytes including a whole bunch of duplication and archives, and most of it all ran on one beefy windows server until about 4-5 years ago.

Maybe the AWS rep meant no-one at this scale or higher is using sql server, or maybe all the other orgs with a large sql server cluster, business processes built around sharepoint + onedrive, and dev processes that rely heavily on azure dev ops and aad chose a different cloud provider for some strange reason.

I think they meant "your poo poo is causing pagers to go off for weird reasons because we never actually thought this would happen, please stop and migrate to something we expected"

"Oh that's awesome! You should go start your own company, and reap the benefits of your dream!"

:byewhore:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I'm gonna guess the AWS rep meant: "It would make AWS a lot of money if you migrated to managed database services and look great on my annual review. Please do that."

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ElehemEare posted:

Not sure if we work at the same place or they tell this to everyone who lifted a giant on-prem cluster into EC2. How many x1e.32xlarge we talking?

Did your firm recently switch the company intranet over to Yammer? If not then probably the second option. I think there were 3-4 of them at peak, we have since turned off at least 1 but I’ve not exactly been volunteering to get involved in that mess.

Now someone in management is getting excited about the term ‘data lakehouse’; because apparently chucking everything in with minimal quality checks or normalisation is somehow different from what we’ve been doing all along.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

Did your firm recently switch the company intranet over to Yammer? If not then probably the second option. I think there were 3-4 of them at peak, we have since turned off at least 1 but I’ve not exactly been volunteering to get involved in that mess.

Now someone in management is getting excited about the term ‘data lakehouse’; because apparently chucking everything in with minimal quality checks or normalisation is somehow different from what we’ve been doing all along.

It's data you look at for one week a year

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DoctorTristan posted:

I think there were 3-4 of them at peak, we have since turned off at least 1 but I’ve not exactly been volunteering to get involved in that mess.

If you say there’s an old DCOM facet to this then actually pretty confident we do work together lmao.

Alt take: every tech job is the same and they’re all bad.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Well gently caress now I have to go ask a couple of hundred people the stairs question on teams

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

My dad keeps sending me app ideas (which are genuinely good ideas sometimes) which he knows can be easily and swiftly solved with chatgpt.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
JavaScript code:
let MAX_DEPTH = 4

// three pages of code later

if (someCondition) {
  MAX_DEPTH = 3
}

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

JavaScript code:
let MAX_DEPTH = 4

if (someCondition) {
  MAX_DEPTH = 3
}
Well, yeah. It's three pages of code later, not four

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had to reject a PR that had a billion:

#ifdef CONTROLLER
status = get_local_status();
#else
status = get_remote_status();
#endif

Thrown about. get_local_status and get_remote_status were doing the same thing and returning different pointers. The junior programer never thought about making a single "get_status();" method with the ifdef in the method. :v:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Doom Mathematic posted:

JavaScript code:
let MAX_DEPTH = 4

if (someCondition) {
  MAX_DEPTH = 3
}

I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Doom Mathematic posted:

JavaScript code:
let MAX_DEPTH = 4

if (someCondition) {
  MAX_DEPTH = 3
}

At least it's not `MAX_DEPTH--;`

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

leper khan posted:

At least it's not `MAX_DEPTH--;`

MAX_DEPTH = MAX_DEPTH / 1.333

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Well, yeah. It's three pages of code later, not four

ba dam tusssss. :D

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Proposing a new anti-pattern: "Clown Car Architecture", inspired by what some junior devs got up to while I was away. The recipe is, take several divergent versions of a small app and put them behind a front page. Do not deduplicate anything,.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I call it microservices

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So courtesy of the KSP thread: Kerbal Space Program 2 (TBF, pre-alpha/early access software) eventually stops launching on Windows since it logs an unreasonable amount of data into... the registry.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.co...ng-permanently/

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Welp that's it, wrap it up thread cause nothing's beating that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Welp that's it, wrap it up thread cause nothing's beating that.

Eve Online begs to differ.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

OddObserver posted:

So courtesy of the KSP thread: Kerbal Space Program 2 (TBF, pre-alpha/early access software) eventually stops launching on Windows since it logs an unreasonable amount of data into... the registry.

The sheer virtriol in this thread is absolutely hilarious / baffling / horrifying to me.

Like yeah, the devs hosed up. That's a pretty dumb move, and they shouldn't have used the registry at all for this sort of thing. But the number of people being like "mother of god they've RUINED MY COMPUTER " is utterly baffling to me.

From everything I can see it's just a lot of entries added to a single registry 'Folder' (or whatever the proper registry nomenclature is) - like yeah, it could slow things down I suppose at some point, but it's not like it's actively loving with any other applications/etc these people have installed. It's basically equivilant to them spamming a bunch of new files into the AppData directory, except your registry is spooky.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
On the other hand, anyone who has been a computer toucher and knows about the Windows Registry knows that that is a gross misuse of the registry.

So either like the one dude said, they have dev tools that log to the registry and they're too sloppy to remove them before it goes to prod (both of which are :psyduck:), or they just thought that it would be an OK place to dump data, which is also not correct?

Fans don't do it better, to say the least.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Macichne Leainig posted:

On the other hand, anyone who has been a computer toucher and knows about the Windows Registry knows that that is a gross misuse of the registry.

So either like the one dude said, they have dev tools that log to the registry and they're too sloppy to remove them before it goes to prod (both of which are :psyduck:), or they just thought that it would be an OK place to dump data, which is also not correct?

Fans don't do it better, to say the least.

Yeah I mean all that's covered in 'Yeah they hosed up.' Like wow, an Early Access game accidentally shipped dev tools to prod? Whoa! That's...not really that crazy. But nothing about this suggests or supports the sheer level of insanity in that thread - notably, after a mod already cleaned up the worst of it.

quote:

*immense sense of dread*

I'm gonna have to go look at windows, see if it's ok.

EDIT: Can confirm windows was not happy.

Edited yesterday at 09:34 AM by mattihase

What does this mean? That's meaningless. Did you send your copy of Windows to a therapist? I feel as though it'd have more to say about MIcrosoft than this company if you're collecting wrongdoings.

quote:

TBH, I wouldn't feel safe running this title on my personal computer. It has been uninstalled for 3 months.

This kind of reinforces some people's opinions that the engineering team on KSP2 are not competent enough to finish this game regardless of how long they take.

quote:

I requested a refund after 1.8 hours of KSP2.

These 1.8 hours left 369 PQS Object State entries in my registry. I expect it to be resolved in a reasonable time.

Will we also get a bug fix?

mfg Wahnbert

quote:

I have two gaming computers, one which at one point had KSP2 installed and is in the process of being mothballed as the 2nd machine is new and never had the game installed. Last night I went in to the older machine, checked to make sure that KSP2 was uninstalled and deleted the entire "Intercept Games" registry key via regedit. It had enough entries in it that it literally took over five minutes to scroll from the first entry to the last. I would not feel comfortable running IG's registry fix, nor am I comfortable running any code from IG or T2 in the future. Given this stance, I probably won't be missing anything in the future considering the "Writing On The Wall" is a good indicator that this title will never be completed to the expectations that were presented to the consumers.

Like seriously, all of this is absolutely nuts. They hosed up, but nothing about their fuckup indicates any real or permanent harm to the computer beyond KSP2 not running properly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They're kinda short on street cred after severe problems in terms of delivering the promised product, plus, well, it is the internet.

(I am curious as to what the registry format is, since you seem to think it tolerates a large amount of crap dumped in it well?)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

These morons would be installing Linux if they saw how many registry keys they don't understand the purpose of are any of the main hives.

And then they'd be aghast at how many scary looking files are in /etc in a modern Linux distribution.

OddObserver posted:

(I am curious as to what the registry format is, since you seem to think it tolerates a large amount of crap dumped in it well?)

It's a set of several hierarchical databases attached to a virtual root, each of which is implemented a sort of B+ tree with a complex, genericized node structure.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 26, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OddObserver posted:

They're kinda short on street cred after severe problems in terms of delivering the promised product, plus, well, it is the internet.

The filesystem tolerates a large amount of crap dumped into it without any complaints, because you don't need to interact with any of the crap unless it's specifically in a folder you're touching.

The registry is the same way.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Falcon2001 posted:

The sheer virtriol in this thread is absolutely hilarious / baffling / horrifying to me.

it's par for the course when dealing with gamers, tbh. minor inconveniences to the typical reddit/r/gaming (or whatever subreddit is the main one) users become life altering disasters that require constant commenting and complaining. most gaming subs are generally unusable due to the constant whining every time a patch/update comes out

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

It's a set of several hierarchical databases attached to a virtual root, each of which is implemented a sort of B+ tree with a complex, genericized node structure.

So it'll grow the depth, but as log of a fairly large number, and root nodes are likely to be in cache? Yeah, that's probably not gonna matter much, though scan costs may add up some?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It sounds like every installed program gets a free database via the registry? I’ve never done Windows programming.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I do legacy COM poo poo, this registry bloat is rookie numbers.

Gamers truly are the worst.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lifg posted:

It sounds like every installed program gets a free database via the registry? I’ve never done Windows programming.

It was designed originally for COM components, then between 3.1 and NT they realized, oh man, we can just have programmers shove their config data in this structured, centralized database with optimized access routines, instead of littering the filesystem with INI files that need to be parsed line by line constantly.

Of course, the dipshits over at .NET a few years later went XML ALL THE THINGS and ruined that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Configuration files are better for user preferences because it's easy for a user to understand how to clean them up and start over fresh, back them up when reinstalling Windows, or migrate them to a new machine.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Any info online on how to tweak some config value in the registry is always surrounded by multiple paragraphs of "this is dark magic and your computer is going to explode if you touch anything wrong make sure to save 7 backups first".

End users are absolutely terrified of the registry compared to config files.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

lifg posted:

But if any of them mess it up all the programs break. It's not a great design.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

lifg posted:

It's essentially a gigantic shared nested dictionary / lookup structure. It's not particularly complex for the most part (as far as the user facing part goes), just knowing what to read and write, but the shared setup of it leads to weird problems, especially when things muck with other registry entries/etc.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

OddObserver posted:

For context, the Unity engine stores player preferences in the registry by default. It's intended for simple configs, not data storage.

So the horror isn't about abusing the Windows registry so much as storing data that shouldn't be in player preferences.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volguus posted:

Eve Online begs to differ.

Or, another video game favorite, the NVIDIA driver that cleaned up a little too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Did Windows not isolate application registries from each other when they started using crazy FS overlays to stop applications from installing DLLs into actual system directories?