Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Enemabag Jones posted:

Everyone bear with me, I'm sorry if this has been pointed out before, but uh

Can somebody please explain to me why Bloober is doing Silent Hill 2 as opposed to, I don't know, Silent Hills? BlooberTeam has made their entire business model off of making PT clones, am I losing my mind? It's been a decade.

Also the one ex-Bloober guy who tried to preserve PT has Yamaoka attached now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1807210/Stray_Souls/

They probably were the lowest bidder like someone already mentioned and because from their titles it's obvious they really, really, *really* love Silent Hill 2 and can't seem to do anything else but continually try to imitate it over and over, so it was probably a dream project for them. I did like Observer, though.

Stray Souls sounded familiar to me and it turns out it's because the studio owner probably being a chud was a thing on Twitter some time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Ugh, welp.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Remember the baby horror game? Well I just got a Steam key for it that I can't use.

4Y*0*-BNIV0-75VXX

It's OK. It even doesn't turn out you murdered your *o* in the end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Got Mundaun on steam sale.

Anything to know about this Spooky Switzerland?

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
It rips, and it’s spooky. I remember liking it a lot

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah Mundaun is good stuff

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just started playing Walking Dead Saints and Sinners 2 on psvr2, and man, I don't think I've played another game that does nighttime as well and as creepily as this one does.

The original (and this) can be a little unnerving as you walk through streets during the day, trying to keep an eye out for zombies, or through dark. abandoned homes that probably have some walking corpses in them, but if it was night then you were always at your home base, or a small connecting area nearby, which was typically fairly well lit and never really that scary.

In this one, though, nighttime on the streets is dark. The shadows consume everything, and you have to really keep an eye out on what's around you. Doubly so since there are just a ton of zombies wandering around, and if you don't want to attract their attention then you have to keep your light off while stealthing in the shadows.

But that doesn't even compare to walking through the buildings, where things get even darker. And quiet. You never realize how much ambient sound plays while you're outside, until you get into a building at night and it becomes absolutely dead-silent. You hear every creak of the building, every step you make, every time the weapon you're holding brushes against something. And then, as it happened tonight, you turn around three zombies have silently formed behind you and you only have a moment to grab a weapon off your belt.

It's an absolute fright and as much as it freaks me out to have to go through the streets at night, it's really quite something when I enter them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i hope alan wake 2 does proper darkness. the first one just went for shades of indigo and blue, which is a) not scary and b) looks like crap on my tv

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
This being the era of HDR should resolve that, presuming your TV isn't also a decade old. I put my side-gig money towards a 4K TV last summer and when paired with the PS4 Pro/5 or the better video apps, the hype was real. The brights and blacks really are that vivid and horror material benefits big-time from it. (My 2014-built rig with a GTX 760 was already lagging and besides no HDR support, it can't really do any of my PC games in 4K unless it's pixel graphics.)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I started my October games a little early since I'm between big games. This weekend I played Scorn and the Shadows of Rose DLC for RE Village.

I really wanted to like Scorn. But the combat was so terrible, and the environments were so samey after a while, that I didn't feel bad about bailing on it after about three hours. I think I was near the end, but it was just becoming a slog to play. Cool looking game though

Shadow of Rose was solid. I haven't played Village since shortly after it was released, so them reusing the same environments didn't feel completely stale to me. Like in the base game, House Beneviento is a highlight. The mannequin chase was really fun and solid horror. The way they run into each other while rounding corners is perfect. Final boss fight was fun, too. Kind of wish it had another fight or two with all your powers unlocked

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I've never heard anyone say scorn should've been anything more than a painting on a wall rather than a game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm midway through the Resident Evil 4 DLC, and it's solid as well. I was surprised that it was only :10bux:, but it makes sense because a lot of it is based around going through existing areas from the main game but in different scenarios, like in the original version. Overall it's basically more RE4 with a few new tricks and some new weapons, which is a good thing by me.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 25, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
Had the weekend to myself so I started early with my spooky month gaming by finally diving into Faith. Downright awe-inspiring what they managed to do with five buttons and roughly twice as many pixels.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm midway through the Resident Evil 4 DLC, and it's solid as well. I was surprised that it was only :10bux:, but it makes sense because a lot of it is bad around going through existing areas from the main game but in different scenarios, like in the original version. Overall it's basically more RE4 with a few new tricks and some new weapons, which is a good thing by me.

Yeah it's a decent amount of content for ten bucks but it makes sense when you realize that like the main game, you'll need to do 3+ playthroughs to grab all the unlockables and it's a retread of most of the original game but there's like 20% of content that's actually new so that's actually worth playing. If somehow the dlc was only the exact new content it'd be like a hour long at most.

Still working on getting up to professional s+ rank anyway because drat it I want all the trophies.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Buck Wildman posted:

I've never heard anyone say scorn should've been anything more than a painting on a wall rather than a game

I tried giving it a shot the other day since it's probably leaving Game Pass relatively soon, and I only had to get as far as the first orb puzzle to conclude that it's not for me and I'd be better off watching a playthrough on YouTube. Absolutely stunning visuals, though; the title screen transitioning into in-game graphics is a "wow" moment in and of itself.

Speaking of horror games that probably aren't going to be on Game Pass much longer, I think I'm going to start Signalis soon. I still wonder if the design might be too old-school for my taste, but any advice on how to play it to make the inventory limits less frustrating?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Barry Convex posted:

I tried giving it a shot the other day since it's probably leaving Game Pass relatively soon, and I only had to get as far as the first orb puzzle to conclude that it's not for me and I'd be better off watching a playthrough on YouTube. Absolutely stunning visuals, though; the title screen transitioning into in-game graphics is a "wow" moment in and of itself.

Speaking of horror games that probably aren't going to be on Game Pass much longer, I think I'm going to start Signalis soon. I still wonder if the design might be too old-school for my taste, but any advice on how to play it to make the inventory limits less frustrating?

you don't need every single thing you pick up. divest yourself of giant enemy crab syndrome. For dealing with majority of enemies you need at most one weapon with a stack of related ammo, any extra weapons should just be saved for bosses or as a back up that you reload off of floor ammo.

you generally only need a singular healing item on you for emergencies or going into brand new areas but often I would just run without amy, the rest can get stashed for boss fights or used off the floor.

best way to think it is that items on the floor are also a part of your inventory, and the only ones you NEED to take are key items or loot you probably won't bother coming back for.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Carry one gun and some backup ammo, only bother with enemies directly in your way. Also a hot ammo-conserving tip is that you don't have to knock an enemy down to light it on fire.

In general, don't lug things around "just in case." Take only what you need, and plan on several return trips to the safe room to deposit stuff. That or I'm sure there's plenty of guides that will tell you the most efficient routing to take. Nothing good about Signalis will get spoiled by a walkthrough.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The cool thing about RE4 dlc is how it borrows a lot from the original game and brings back stuff that was missing in Leon's campaign. There's even some original RE4 music.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Barry Convex posted:

Also if you're about to die but exit an enemy encounter, you'll heal up enough to tank a hit or two more. There are also plenty of healing items in the game so don't feel like you need to conserve them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I started Signalis yesterday up to the first boss and I really think just having 8 instead of 6 slots would have fixed the issues I've had with it so far. It's not a huge deal to just leave parts/puzzle items in storage til I absolutely need them, but having a gun, a little bit of ammo, stun rods, and a healing item takes up 2/3 of your slots. I could probably go around without ammo for the most part so it hasn't been a real issue except one time, but I also don't feel it adds anything at all to have such a limited inventory in this game other than that older survival horror games have the same limitation. Other than that I'm loving the aesthetic and sound design a ton.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I generally found that carrying healing items around was unnecessary. You're pretty tanky in the game and if you get hurt you can always leg it back to storage to heal up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I'm pretty sure I went through the second half of the game by leaving every storage chest with a single gun in my inventory and nothing else

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I played Signalis and watched a few analyses on it afterward and I'm still a little lost on all of the plot to be entirely honest. Fun game though, and a great sense of aesthetic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I played Signalis and watched a few analyses on it afterward and I'm still a little lost on all of the plot to be entirely honest. Fun game though, and a great sense of aesthetic.

You're more or less supposed to be confused. There's a fairly coherent version of the plot that fans have worked out over time (more or less this, give or take a few details), but Signalis is deliberately a "dream about dreaming." Some of it won't make sense and you have to be okay with that.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I loved the game but definitely had no idea what actually happened in it when the credits rolled.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah it takes inspiration from Silent Hill in more than a few places, and one of the big ones is in the story presentation, where the story is both literal and metaphorical at the same time and blends liberally between them. There is a rough sequence of "real" events you can piece together to form a coherent story, but you can't just treat it like that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Powerful psychic lesbian robotfucker gets super cancer and wants to die

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've heard people talk about Fear and Hunger a fair bit and after some talk on Twitter I got more interested in it. How comprehensible is it? I know that it's supposed to be brutally hard but is it something where you need to be reading a guide to understand even the basics or is it better to go in blind?

Usually for horror I take the latter route but I also know how RPGmaker games can be.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've heard people talk about Fear and Hunger a fair bit and after some talk on Twitter I got more interested in it. How comprehensible is it? I know that it's supposed to be brutally hard but is it something where you need to be reading a guide to understand even the basics or is it better to go in blind?

Usually for horror I take the latter route but I also know how RPGmaker games can be.

Both games have a pretty exhaustive and repeatedly expanded puzzlebox lore system, and both games wind up having a lot of gently caress you surprise moments, and both games have horrendous mutilation and sexual abuse as outcomes (e.g. rectal bleeding is a death sentence status effect in the first game). The sequel is much less inhospitable on all three levels of this, but it's still a significant throughline.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

The difficulty is overstated, but they are games that expect you to get demolished a few times as you puzzle things out, and usually with pretty abhorrent results.

I think if you imagine them as roguelikes with pretty expansive subsystems, you'll get a good hang of things. Battles are puzzles and you'll get beaten up a lot trying to figure out efficient ways of handling any fight you can't avoid.

There's definitely some tips to breaking both games over your knee, especially the first one, but I think going in blind can be more interesting and certainly conveys the tension better, I'd you can stomach some of the failure results.

As said above, the second game is a bit of a different beast and definitely tones down the explicit sexual assault themes, but they are still there.

Personally, I'm a big fan, but they're hard recommendations both for content and gameplay.

I will say, once you figure out how to use Empty Scrolls, the first game is basically all yours.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

I didn't go in blind for the first one, but did for the second, and for both I would say you can go in blind just fine, they are a lot more approachable than their reputation and you can make progress pretty quickly once you get the basic ideas down. The use of some items might not be completely clear in the first one but you also don't need to know what everything does to finish the game, and all the important stuff is pretty obvious.

It is probably a thing where you should check the content warnings if that is something that might concern you though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the tips all, I'll go in blind and if I end up white with rage over the puzzles I can look some of it up.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It is probably a thing where you should check the content warnings if that is something that might concern you though.

Yeah this doesn't deeply concern me *per se*, it's more when a game is very clearly getting off on it that it becomes weird. It seems like it's a good horror game that happens to have that rather than being made to house it, which is fine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Thanks for the tips all, I'll go in blind and if I end up white with rage over the puzzles I can look some of it up.

Yeah this doesn't deeply concern me *per se*, it's more when a game is very clearly getting off on it that it becomes weird. It seems like it's a good horror game that happens to have that rather than being made to house it, which is fine.

Yeah I think at its worst, the content in F&H is just edgelordy rather than like, fetishistic, and for the most part it's actually very well done and earned. The second game especially handles a lot of very sensitive topics with a ton of maturity. It's just a thing where even when the topics are handled well, they are also handled with a level of directness that most other horror games shy away from, which is why people usually give strong content warnings about the game. If it was genuinely in poor taste I don't think anyone in this thread would recommend it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's a very interesting fully parallelized "rule of six" associational structure that operates across every layer of the game. I was never sure how to fully resolve it, but it clearly ties into the hidden ending.

Clockwise, from top center:

None/Eternity/Star/Niemat/5./Unmentioned, should be 17th Night
Air/Knowledge/Tower/Vineta/2./16th Night
Water/Flesh/Moon/Rotfront/4./18th Night
Gold/Love/Death/Leng/6./13th Night
Fire/Sacrifice/Sun/Buyan/1./19th Night
Earth/Balance/Lovers/Kitezh/3./6th Night

There's an additional couple layers to this as well.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 26, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think you can skip to 2 without too much trouble, just watch some videos on 1. 1's a misery game and not all of it is intentional, 2 the guy's definitely learned a lot more.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

I haven't played the sequel - it's on my list for spooptober this year if I can get to it (a lot else on my plate game-wise and irl rn). re the first one, I don't think it ever revels in it but it's definitely explicit and gauche. people like to say there's a narrative purpose to it in the first game and I think that's a half truth at best. I've heard repeatedly that the dev took a lot of feedback on it for the sequel and I'll believe it when I see it

there's, as far as I am aware having played it, only two times where it's a present risk. the first is extremely early on and tied with one other thing for being almost guaranteed to be the first way you die, so I think it really cements with people regarding the game

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

people are right on the money that once you really know what you're doing it becomes p easy to "solve" fear & hunger - the risk is never fully eliminated but you can take pretty extensive methods to mitigate it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I bought the first one and tried it out, and yeah the game is certainly something you can make easier, but also still pretty random. I was able to work my way down a couple of floors by a decent amount of memorization and also learning how the limb severing system works, although I'll see how it works out long term. I don't mind difficult games, but I feel like the coin flip system is going to become infuriating in time when you lose a flip and you have to replay a long section. You can spend a coin to help your chances but I'll probably have some pretty lengthy ragequits when everything goes to hell.

It seems compelling enough that I'm going to keep going for now, off and on at least. I just got a bit burned out before figuring out how to make the system worked because the opening of the game is searching a shitload of containers for carrots and bits of string and I did that like six times.

Buck Wildman posted:

there's, as far as I am aware having played it, only two times where it's a present risk. the first is extremely early on and tied with one other thing for being almost guaranteed to be the first way you die, so I think it really cements with people regarding the game

Yeah I had that happen and frankly it was just sort of stupid. I guess crawling around guaranteed to die afterwards is thematically relevant but it was a real RPGmaker horror game moment.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 26, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I think the coin system was even worse originally and the dev replaced it with the more forgiving system from the sequel. If you're really in a gently caress it mood there's a mod (99 scrolls of enlightenment) that effectively lets you save anywhere at no risk, which destroys any challenge but can let you see what the whole game's about at your leisure

I think it absolutely nails the atmosphere its going for which is a legit feat for an rpgmaker game. people don't really talk a lot about the soundtrack which I think goes a huge way towards establishing the tension in everything

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's videos of people beating the game on the highest difficulty in about 10 minutes so it can absolutely be broken. It's just a question of whether or not you want to put the time into doing so.

Goon Worm Girl has a story summary if you want to get the gist of the genuinely interesting lore and story without the anal bleeding.