Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought that was specific to motorbikes? And they make damped mounts nowadays anyway.

worse on motorbikes but still very much a thing on pedal bikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nocheez posted:

I use Strava but add 10% for mileage. It's always way lower than my buddy who uses a calibrated cyclometer.

I have a little Garmin speed sensor on my front hub that helped. Also my watch (vivo active 2 or 3?) is way more accurate for gps than my phone ever was.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

I'm running Orange Seal Endurance, I converted to tubeless in mid-May, andOrange says it's lifespan is 60-120 days, so I'm over that. Do I just dump the old sealant and replace with new, or can I just top it off? I'll be using the same Endurance Sealant, and either way is fine, just want to know best practice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just add some in every so often. The old stuff will dry out over time (in my climate, at least), topping it off will keep it going.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MarxCarl posted:

I'm running Orange Seal Endurance, I converted to tubeless in mid-May, andOrange says it's lifespan is 60-120 days, so I'm over that. Do I just dump the old sealant and replace with new, or can I just top it off? I'll be using the same Endurance Sealant, and either way is fine, just want to know best practice.

Personally, once a year I pop the bead off to clean out any old sealant along with adding new, and then 2-3 other times I'll just add some more through the valve.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Personally, once a year I pop the bead off to clean out any old sealant along with adding new, and then 2-3 other times I'll just add some more through the valve.

This. Also make sure to clean out the valve if you are putting it in the tire through the valve.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Make sure you release the air pressure before you try to remove the valve core, unless you enjoy hunting around your garage/yard for it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Make sure you release the air pressure before you try to remove the valve core, unless you enjoy hunting around your garage/yard for it.
also cleaning your working space of sealant eruption

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Does anyone have experience with the Maxxterra Assegai? I'm running one up front, and it feels really... on/off? I'm having a hard time describing it but it feels like when it runs out of grip, it happens all at once and gives me a nice mid-corner scare. I don't know if it's my technique, the tire, the bike, the conditions or what but I've had several high-speed pucker moments this summer with it. Curious if it's just me, or what tires people like on the front for fairly aggressive riding. The spec butcher T9 is tempting, they're almost half the price of Maxxis up here in :canada:.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm on the Exo+ version I believe and I'm overall pretty happy with the tires. I will agree that they don't feel super great for flat corners though, but my suspicion is that I'm not leaning the bike enough or some other technique error because when I really focus on cornering correctly they seem pretty glued.

I'm a decent rider but I know I have several technique weaknesses where I feel like I should probably blame myself instead of the bike most of the time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Ride home from work yesterday was a bit rainy and cool

Very quiet in the forest when it's a little colder and rainy and getting dark. Even the chain and freehub and tires seem like they make less noise. Saw a bear but it was kind of far away and ran into the trees. Last weekend the bear encounter was much closer but also it was running away.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Do you wear your bear spray in a holster or something?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I must disagree that the woods get quiet as night falls.

Sounds from the underbrush get way louder than they should be. Squirrels sound like deer. Deer sound like bears. Bears sound like bigfoot.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I have one of these for keeping my bear spray in a bottle cage. Super accessible and it’s held up well to all my crashing: https://www.bearcozy.com/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I don’t know; setting off a bear tear gas grenade like an airbag when you crash is some solid negative reinforcement.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Generally I put it in my center jersey pocket, but yesterday i was wearing my bontrager hip pack mostly so i could carry a real jacket, and that has a water bottle carrier in it that works ok for bear spray. I do have to loop a rubber band around it because it fits kind of loose in there.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-bags-panniers/bontrager-rapid-pack-hydro/p/34744/

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Will mounting my phone on my handlebars gently caress up the image stabilization if I throw it in my bag when I get to the actual trails? I use my hardtail for more chill gravel and concrete path rides. Is it just trying to use it while actually mountain biking that'll gently caress it up?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

prom candy posted:

Will mounting my phone on my handlebars gently caress up the image stabilization if I throw it in my bag when I get to the actual trails? I use my hardtail for more chill gravel and concrete path rides. Is it just trying to use it while actually mountain biking that'll gently caress it up?

yes, it’s not the big hits that break it (well it’s that too) but it’s mostly the vibrations

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Generally I put it in my center jersey pocket, but yesterday i was wearing my bontrager hip pack mostly so i could carry a real jacket, and that has a water bottle carrier in it that works ok for bear spray. I do have to loop a rubber band around it because it fits kind of loose in there.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-bags-panniers/bontrager-rapid-pack-hydro/p/34744/

Oh that does look good! I keep mine in a belt-style holster off my rear rack, but I don't like having it be out of reach when I'm actually riding. I don't usually wear a cycling jersey with big pockets when I'm hitting trails, but a hip bag like that looks great!

I'd put it off my handlebars but I have cyclocross interruptor style brakes on my gravel/adventure bike so there's no room for a bike bag or bear spray pouch up front

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use all of these mounts and pockets but instead of bear spray I have various seasonings and rare spices to season myself with should I encounter a grizzly.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

prom candy posted:

If you are saying mount it on the bars for your ride to the trail on pavement and then toss it in your hip/backpack bag/pocket for the single track. That should be fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If it's an old phone sure but imo the vibration you get even on pavement through into the phone is more than I'd be comfortable with. If you don't know what I'm talking about, record a video with your phone and ride around pavement with it and see what I mean.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Today was less rainy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

prom candy posted:

QuadLock put out a damping module for their mounts, meant to be used for motorcycles.
https://www.quadlockcase.com/products/vibration-dampener
I think at the very least this is a major company acknowledging the hazard vibrations pose. Some YouTubers tested it in a pretty limited way and didn’t see decreased acceleration to the phone in all scenarios. Not to mention road impacts through a moto suspension (and on board engine vibration) will be qualitatively different compared to on a bike. It’s not surprising to me that a relatively simple damping mechanism won’t effectively damp everything.

I have decided to take the risk using it on my quadlock setup. If I’m running an errand around town, I will mount the phone for some miles. I can see the phone waggling a lot more, and I hope that the small vibrations are getting taken care of.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

This is the real highlight of the day. That thing looks incredible.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are there good “getting started mountain biking” YT videos or text? Riding w friends and getting their advice I’m realizing there is a ton which I’ve been missing/stuff I’ve carried over from road biking which doesn’t apply.

Have also added another small scar in the process of learning that I am not yet ready for intermediate-advanced trails w/ poor traction, but luckily it’s directly on top of the one I already had from a crash on the road so it kind of works out.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I've posted it before, but Ben Cathro's "How To Bike" series on Youtube is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsNvd9EhvQ.

You can skip the first couple and come back to them, IMO. The body position and feature absorption videos are a great place to start.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I've posted it before, but Ben Cathro's "How To Bike" series on Youtube is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsNvd9EhvQ.

You can skip the first couple and come back to them, IMO. The body position and feature absorption videos are a great place to start.

Yeah I was going to link this too but got distracted. I would say maybe the big difference in thinking between road and mtb is that in mtb you're going to be moving independently of the bike quite a lot more. Cathro does a great job of explaining it but yeah practice being above your bike with your knees and arms bent etc. Very rarely in the interesting stuff will you just be pointing your bike and hanging on - you're doing a lot with how you place weight on each wheel, lightening specific wheels or pumping through stuff.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
lots of videos probably cover it better than any of us could explain but I think understanding the whole bike/body separation and positioning is a key point, heels down, trust the bike to handle what you're pointing it at (but learn what it can handle) , lean the bike/get on the side knobs while keeping your weight over the center of the bike, are generally good foundational skills.
I like this video a lot for some basics (but important) positioning info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTPBtWDsD8

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is there any good reasons to order anything other than a Raceface Chester flat pedal

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Thirding this recommendation. I watched each video, practiced on the next ride, then rewatched them because it hadn't really sunk in the first time. SUPER helpful.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ropes4u posted:

Is there any good reasons to order anything other than a Raceface Chester flat pedal

I think there are some with a bit wider platform if that's more to your liking, like the OneUp composite

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kona Wah wah if you want pretty big. I think I prefer slightly smaller ones even with a size 12. Maybe it's the pins or spacing but they felt less grippy than the pnw ones I was using before.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s that one that’s named like a Star War droid?

Oh yea the HT PA03A.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get into mountain biking. I've read the last dozen pages or so and learned a lot, but I haven't really seen anyone asking for recommendations. I'm hoping I can get some guidance though because it's all a bit daunting.

I'm living in northern Colorado on the front range and envision myself enjoying more XC stuff, but I do really love going fast on things and I do love climbs on my bike so feel like I'll do some downhill stuff too. I'm thinking for that reason an AM bike may be my best bet.

I want to just get a used bike to see how much I like it and gauge how often I'm able to get out. I'd spend $1kish, but would prefer closer to like $800. Oooor, is it worth it to just spend $1,500 and then sell it if I don't get into it?

There are so many loving bikes for sale around me. The big three, Yeti, Niner, Ibis, etc...what do I want? I've asked some neighbors and stuff and I've asked chat gpt, but I rely on goons for making decisions for me when it comes to things like this.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Used FS might be hit or miss at those prices. I’d shoot for a bike with 120-130mm of rear travel as a good middle ground for our trails.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
unless you get lucky, a good used $1k bike will probably need $200-300 or more in maintenance, and finding a good used bike without knowing what to look for would be fraught

a lot of shops around town are starting to have enough stock to discount things pretty deeply, so $1500 is a good budget for a starter bike for sure

biggest thing to look for in that price range is fox or rockshox suspension, and hydraulic brakes, it won’t be the mid or top end stuff, but at least with those brands it should be serviceable and easy to find parts

some suntour suspension can be okay, but most of it is bad enough it’s better to just avoid it all together if you’re not sure what to look for

a dropper seat post is nice if it has it but that’s easy enough to add later, a dropper is a must have though

120-140mm travel will probably be the sweet spot for what you described, maybe even a hard tail if the price was right and it were well equipped, any bigger travel than that and you start to compromise how well it pedals and rides when you’re not going downhill

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 26, 2023

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

Some people (like myself) prefer a larger footprint.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

They're kinda pricey in the EU so I spend the extra on XTs instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Deity deftraps exist