Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

xzzy posted:

Try a reboot, there might be a process going berserk. Failing that unpair/repair the watch.

Failing that.. you're kinda SOL.

I’ll try this when I get home, somehow hadn’t considered the time honoured restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

WatchOS 10 seems to have completely destroyed my SE's battery, I used to get home after work and have around 40% left. Now I'm dropping to 50% before even leaving for work.

Check the charging icon before undocking tomorrow , if it has a horizontal bar at the current (partial) charge status it's doing the same poo poo as mine. It's not charging to 100% to "save" battery lifetime.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I was coming in here to post that I noticed the same too on my daughter’s SE watches. Down to 10% by 5 pm when they would normally be around 35-40 by 8 or 9.

Thanks for the tips.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

isn't draining the battery down near 0% at least as bad for it as topping it up to 100%?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I have a five and it can’t last the day anymore. Certainly not up to par for my cycling anymore either. I’m not going to buy a 9 if there’s a significant upgrade next year, so I bought a real watch instead.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

101 posted:

Fine guys. I'll get an Ultra 2 :rolleyes:

Glad you guys totally cyberbullied me into getting an Ultra. poo poo rules

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

Glad you guys totally cyberbullied me into getting an Ultra. poo poo rules

Hell yeah it does.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Am I crazy though or is there now way to get Shazam in the watchOS 10 widget view?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This optimized charging stuff new with WatchOS 10? Because before it always charged to 100% whenever I put it on the charger, and now I find it waiting at 80%, coincidentally right before a long bike tour, where I'd like maximum charge.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Combat Pretzel posted:

This optimized charging stuff new with WatchOS 10? Because before it always charged to 100% whenever I put it on the charger, and now I find it waiting at 80%, coincidentally right before a long bike tour, where I'd like maximum charge.

watchOS 9 had optimized charging as well. Not sure if it’s hardware specific. First time I noticed it was on my Ultra 1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess they changed the rules for it to kick in, because it never applied here for some reason, up until WatchOS 10.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

rufius posted:

watchOS 9 had optimized charging as well. Not sure if it’s hardware specific. First time I noticed it was on my Ultra 1.

WatchOS 9 had optimized charging but the maximum charge threshold limit is something I've never experienced.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

WatchOS 9 had optimized charging but the maximum charge threshold limit is something I've never experienced.

Ya - since I charged my Ultra daily (goes on the charger around 7pm and I put it back on before bed), mine basically always charges to 80%. If I’m going on a trip or hike, I’ll force it to charge to 100.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

rufius posted:

Ya - since I charged my Ultra daily (goes on the charger around 7pm and I put it back on before bed), mine basically always charges to 80%. If I’m going on a trip or hike, I’ll force it to charge to 100.

I hope Apple separates the two parts, I want the optimized charge but the battery threshold is something that I might want to use only in certain occasions.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Made sure my SE was fully charged to the point of the notification popping on my phone, updated to 10.0.1 and its a nice clean 53% after a day of work. So I don't know which of those fixed it but it's fully unfucked thankfully.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It’s made the Hermès horse watch face work again, so thank god for that.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My series 9 arrived. First time I’ve had a watch with eSIM. It’s like living in the future.

However, while connected to wifi but with my phone turned off, the watch didn’t allow phone calls. I have wifi calling and ‘allow calls on other devices’ turned on but it doesn’t seem to want to work. Is there something I’m missing?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Your phone needs to be on to ‘forward’ the call.

Doesn’t have to be on the same network, but must be able to physically receive the call.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Yeast posted:

Your phone needs to be on to ‘forward’ the call.

Doesn’t have to be on the same network, but must be able to physically receive the call.

gently caress, of course the phone needs to be on to forward calls. In all my excitement to play with the new gadget I didn’t even think about that. :doh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wait, so the watch has its own phone number then?

I always thought the watch eSIM is more or less a clone, and whoever picks up gets the call (it's not like it's an analog physical switchboard like in the Thirties or whatever).

Because my provider here in Belgium makes it out to be a logistical/software challenge to support the Apple Watch.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughter has a stand alone watch (both did but one got her own phone). They were set up through my wife’s phone but it never forwarded a call from her watch to it. Phone calls just called the watch directly. They each had their their own phone numbers.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

I always thought the watch eSIM is more or less a clone, and whoever picks up gets the call (it's not like it's an analog physical switchboard like in the Thirties or whatever).

Because my provider here in Belgium makes it out to be a logistical/software challenge to support the Apple Watch.

Each eSIM has its own identity which, depending on the provider backend, can be a duplicate asset on a user number or a standalone number which is automatically receiving forwarded calls. It's usually the latter since it requires less edge cases to cover.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple will give me $155 for a 41mm Apple Watch Series 7 which isn’t as terrible as I figured. So $244 to upgrade to Series 9 if I just do like-for-like.

OTOH The Series 8 trade-in is $190 which is pretty bad. So maybe two years is the sweet spot?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
watchOS 10 finally got my "Sunrise/Sunset" complication to show the actual times instead of just say "Sunrise/Sunset", something multiple de-pair re-pairs could never do.
Thanks Tim!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess they changed the rules for it to kick in, because it never applied here for some reason, up until WatchOS 10.

The optimized limit is new to s6 and up in watchOS 10, only the ultra got it last year

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Any things I can try to make the loving weather widgets in any watch face on my new Ultra 2 actually show info? I'm just using the standard Apple weather.app complications, the phone app has the right location permissions and all that jazz. The Weather widget on the watch itself shows info just fine, the complications show fuckall for some reason. Rebooted the watch and phone, no change in status. Driving me kinda nuts.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

smr posted:

Any things I can try to make the loving weather widgets in any watch face on my new Ultra 2 actually show info? I'm just using the standard Apple weather.app complications, the phone app has the right location permissions and all that jazz. The Weather widget on the watch itself shows info just fine, the complications show fuckall for some reason. Rebooted the watch and phone, no change in status. Driving me kinda nuts.

I think this is an ongoing issue with the app. Apple will probably have to fix it on their end.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/26/watchos-10-weather-complication-issues/

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Zerot posted:

I think this is an ongoing issue with the app. Apple will probably have to fix it on their end.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/26/watchos-10-weather-complication-issues/

Fabulous. I think my Carrot sub hasn't died off yet, I'll see if I can ride that until Tim unfucks this. Thanks!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

smr posted:

Fabulous. I think my Carrot sub hasn't died off yet, I'll see if I can ride that until Tim unfucks this. Thanks!

Its a blessed day from Tim, watchOS 10.0.2 fixes it smash that update button

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: beaten, ya jerk

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m assuming that the new Apple complications all being the colour of the watch face without any highlights is the new design standard? My third party ones have red and white for example where my Apple ones are all red now. They were all red and white before.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just fyi a cellular Apple Watch is assigned its own phone number no matter what because that’s how it talked to the cell towers.

For most people , they want to do “number share” where the watch shared your cell phone number. Basically, the carrier pairs the watch assigned number to the regular cell phone number, and end of the day the “assigned” number for the watch is just a billing thing. When people call my cell, it’ll ring my watch , etc.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

My Apple Watch has a phone number that is the completely wrong area code for me and I simply go “ok” it comes up when I have to transfer it or sign into T-Mobile and that’s about it

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Sigh - got my Ultra 2 and can’t get it to activate with number sync. AT&T was surprisingly helpful and it seems like all the cell stuff is setup correctly.

Guess I need to call Tim or visit a fruit stand.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Buff Hardback posted:

Its a blessed day from Tim, watchOS 10.0.2 fixes it smash that update button

Just wanted to note that this is absolutely not fixed. Get your poo poo together, Tim Crapple.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

rufius posted:

Sigh - got my Ultra 2 and can’t get it to activate with number sync. AT&T was surprisingly helpful and it seems like all the cell stuff is setup correctly.

Guess I need to call Tim or visit a fruit stand.

Well - I called Apple Support. They didn't have a direct answer, but as a side effect of turning the watch off and on again several times while following various troubleshooting steps, it suddenly decided to activate.

So uhh, if in doubt, just keep turning it off and on again and try to setup cellular?

Violator
May 15, 2003

smr posted:

Just wanted to note that this is absolutely not fixed. Get your poo poo together, Tim Crapple.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/27/apple-offers-fix-weather-complication-apple-watch/

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Hell yeah, this seems to have worked, at least initially. Thank you!

Now, if they’ll just fix the off-center Now Playing notification pip on the modular ultra face, I’d be happy. It’s off like half a centimeter to the right, only on this watch face. Looks like dogshit!

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

Hell yeah, this seems to have worked, at least initially. Thank you!

Now, if they’ll just fix the off-center Now Playing notification pip on the modular ultra face, I’d be happy. It’s off like half a centimeter to the right, only on this watch face. Looks like dogshit!

Fuckin’ hell… complications are broken again this morning.

This feels like something somebody should’ve noticed before release? I gotta imagine weather comps are among the most-used, and this is only in their big new billboard feature new face for this OS and watch? Sucks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm still incandescent that it takes like eight taps to consume four pieces of current weather data (eg, temps, humidity, wind, UV) when they used to all be on a single scrollable panel together unless you fill an entire face with weather complications (and then they don't work lol). They aren't thinking these things through on the level of how real people use them.