Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

Hey, is there a smartwatch thread? My father fell and has terrible hips and was down for like an hour before my mother came home and found him... and she travels like a lot.

He's getting old and feeble and the life alert things look like scams, so I was looking at possibly getting him an apple / samsung smart watch with fall detection and emergency contact stuff for him so he doesn't, you know, die.

Inspect your gadgets I believe has a wearables thread you look like poo poo has the watch thread but that's more watches watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mr. Nice! posted:

the topline feature is you get to slide into two people's dms a week even if they haven't liked you.

:stare:

feel like that's just primed for harassment

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

it’s funny you gotta pay $500 for that cause back in the early internet dating days that was just how every website was. you just messaged people and they saw it no matter what

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

Hey, is there a smartwatch thread? My father fell and has terrible hips and was down for like an hour before my mother came home and found him... and she travels like a lot.

He's getting old and feeble and the life alert things look like scams, so I was looking at possibly getting him an apple / samsung smart watch with fall detection and emergency contact stuff for him so he doesn't, you know, die.

If your dad has an iPhone than the cheapest Apple Watch is a no-brainer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the type of people who have to pay $500 for premium tinder aren't gonna get answers for their dms anyway like who's going to answer a dm from someone they haven't liked?

e: does tinder have a block feature?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

That $500 tier is all gonna be lonely dudes and AI chat bots lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Something to consider is the Apple Watch that you can make calls from. If he falls and isn’t near his phone he can make/receive calls from it. He can do it on the basic watch if he’s nearby his phone but there’s an upgraded version that doesn’t require him being near his phone and has its own cell service.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Freaquency posted:

If your dad has an iPhone than the cheapest Apple Watch is a no-brainer.

Samsung A10E or something, it has android 9, so should be compatible with everything. The few people I know with smartwatches all have apples so trying to figure out if the samsung is viable for this or if I have to switch him to an apple phone I'll do that (and he'll hate it)

Joey Freshwater posted:

Something to consider is the Apple Watch that you can make calls from. If he falls and isn’t near his phone he can make/receive calls from it. He can do it on the basic watch if he’s nearby his phone but there’s an upgraded version that doesn’t require him being near his phone and has its own cell service.

Yeah, definitely looking at the LTE version of whatever I get. Dude's getting forgetful, want to make sure he can make an emergency call without his phone

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also if anyone you know has surgery and has PT to do, make sure they loving do it. Jesus christ dad, you got the hips of a 80 year old because you wouldn't get into a drat pool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I didn't have surgery and I'm not 80 but I start PT for what seems like a pinched nerve in my neck this week. poo poo suuuuuuucks

I hope that's what it is, if it's still hurting after six weeks I get an MRI to check for a slipped disc or bone spur rubbing against a nerve

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

the type of people who have to pay $500 for premium tinder aren't gonna get answers for their dms anyway like who's going to answer a dm from someone they haven't liked?

e: does tinder have a block feature?

Id bet money that they gently caress with the algorithm to keep likely matches behind the pay wall and drip feed you just enough to keep you coming back.

Most dating apps will tell you, you have likes in your queue but you can't see them, and if they don't come up in your daily like allotment...

Dating apps aren't about matching people they're about engagement with the app.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

BlindSite posted:

Id bet money that they gently caress with the algorithm to keep likely matches behind the pay wall and drip feed you just enough to keep you coming back.

Most dating apps will tell you, you have likes in your queue but you can't see them, and if they don't come up in your daily like allotment...

Dating apps aren't about matching people they're about engagement with the app.
Yeah, like most of my likes on dating apps are randos from 50+ miles away.
Had one woman constantly be pushing me as to what my investing strategy was: lady, I work retail, my investment strategy is that some day I will die and will no longer need money.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

my investment strategy is to buy a lot of meat while it's on sale and freeze it for use over the next few weeks

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Life alert aren’t scams. Insurance will (maybe) cover them as well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah life alert is great (for the patients).

Apple Watches aren’t purpose built for elder fall detection and 911 activation the way life alert pendants/bracelets are. They’re also more fragile. About the only benefit is that you can call from Apple Watches.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

one of my medications went generic and somehow I now pay more for it

instead of a co-pay, insurance just says "you can only get generic and also you have to pay out of pocket for it"

hell of a system we got

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

one of my medications went generic and somehow I now pay more for it

instead of a co-pay, insurance just says "you can only get generic and also you have to pay out of pocket for it"

hell of a system we got

Try goodrx for it instead of insurance.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

Try goodrx for it instead of insurance.

yeah tried that too, but somehow that's more expensive than what I'm paying out of pocket.

This is for Lisdexamfetamine, which is the generic Vyvanse that just went on sale.

It's $45 out of pocket now instead of $15, so not the end of the world. It's just annoying because:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

This is for Lisdexamfetamine, which is the generic Vyvanse that just went on sale.

time to upgrade to dextroamphetamine baby

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FizFashizzle posted:

time to upgrade to dextroamphetamine baby

Woof. Pass.

Worst idea ever- treat an illness causing short-term memory issues with a pill that you have to remember a no-caffeine buffer for a few hours after taking.

One Coke Zero practically turned me into Cornholio

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ehud posted:

yeah tried that too, but somehow that's more expensive than what I'm paying out of pocket.

It's $45 out of pocket now instead of $15, so not the end of the world. It's just annoying because:

Also paying that for my generic amphetamines now. I'm on some generic Adderall and don't know if Goodrx is the way to re-up on that

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Isn't goodRX just and end-run around patient privacy laws? And not a very good one as the FTC just fined them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

New title possibility.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Silly Burrito posted:

New title possibility.

Seconded.

Felt like garbage on Monday, and like a true genius I'll trying hiking the Glendoveer Fitness Trail today with fellow goon Crosshatch. Let's see how Dayquil works when I'm out in the rain!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My one goal today is to score one of the giant boxes with one of our new printers in it so I can break down the sides to use a mat for my office puzzles. I have one right now that I'd like to put up so i can start on the next one, which I may or may not put up depending on how much I like the finished product. It's a little weird but doing a puzzle keeps me from staring at a screen all day and gives my hands something to in meetings that I am required to go to but don't need to do things at.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I need some big rear end cardboard to make evil eyes and sharp teeth for my front windows. House kinda looks like a face already

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Huh, good to know. May just go that route after poking the smart watch thread. (Thanks BlindSite)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/weirddalle/status/1706622602003845352

would

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DDVito

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I legit thought the 500 dollar tinder tier was a joke lmao who the hell gonna pay 6k a year to get dates. Hire a therapist if you're that unlikable or spend that money being more interesting with a hobby or something

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Someone who is obsessed with phrenology will.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

bobjr posted:

Someone who is obsessed with phrenology will.

They're always looking for a little head.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I figured the $500 tinder tier was for wealthy people who wanted to filter out the poors

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Actual dating services are cheaper than that Jesus

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I figured the $500 tinder tier was for wealthy people who wanted to filter out the poors

nah. def feels like 100% monetizing incels.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of my best friend's grandma was saved by LifeAlert when she fell in her house and broke her hip, and couldn't reach her telephone. The fire dept completely wrecked their back door getting in though, but a small price to pay for your life :v:

Neil Armbong posted:

Certainly sounds like an opportunity for them to message women "whyyyy didn't you swipe right on me?!?!?" and yeah, sounds awful for women.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

One of my best friend's grandma was saved by LifeAlert when she fell in her house and broke her hip, and couldn't reach her telephone. The fire dept completely wrecked their back door getting in though, but a small price to pay for your life :v:

Yeah, I'm going overseas for two weeks in November while my mom's on a business trip and then when I get back my mom's taking my sister to antarctica (no really) for two weeks, so we want something so my dad doesn't, you know, die while no one's around.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, after the bit about un-ignorable PM's came out, I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

The fire dept completely wrecked their back door getting in though, but a small price to pay for your life :v:

Firefighters have two deep, unwavering loves:
A) marrying the ex wives of other firefighters and,
B) property destruction