Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGSlQVG0-G4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pixaal posted:

Has anyone called Orpheus? It's page 666

Uh, is it? Um, well, uh...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, get rekt I guess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Let's not die being goofy.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If I somehow won the lottery I'd fund a Triad spinoff series or anything else these guys want to do actually. I'd be like that eccentric Nike heir with his love of stop motion animation

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hatty posted:

If I somehow won the lottery I'd fund a Triad spinoff series or anything else these guys want to do actually. I'd be like that eccentric Nike heir with his love of stop motion animation

"Incredible amounts of money" is admittedly a legit superpower

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Kesper North posted:

I hope you brought rubbers, because a storm is coming.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kesper North posted:

An inordinate amount of money? Sounds like a supervillain if you ask me :yaycloud:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

'O.S.I. Love You' has so many good lines.

"Like giving dynamite to a Grendel"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Finally watching Baboon Heart, I love how after Doc goes 'You've been waiting all day for this, haven't you?' he actually has a smile at Helper.

Also on mores specific notes, there's a blink and you'll miss it bit of what I'm pretty sure are some of the ARCH henchmen falling off the ramp when invading the lab, though they might just be getting downed from return fire. It would make a lotta sense that for all their sleek fancy facade they're a bunch of idiot wannabes and failures dressed up in fancy uniforms, and relying on the biggest marks in the guild; Brick Frog would be ecstatic to take the offer of all the resources and backup allowing him to play in the big leagues, and of course it was all building cred and probably practice runs in the leadup to the targeted con job at the Monarch. After all, Mantilla's mother was an actor who became a spy- they know a thing or three about smoke and mirrors, and presenting the illusion of what people want to see, just long enough for them to be convinced.

The finale's also fun in tying everything together, and ultimately, it ends up a team effort. The Venture building finally comes down thanks to Sheila basically talking the villain down and arranging for her to just get what she wants, relatively humble demands considering, defusing an already one-sided rivalry just by being a reasonable, sensible and pragmatic person, the reason why she does so well basically running the Guild. And both Teams Venture and Monarch use Ventronc, JJ's own creation and his legacy, to prevent a terrible tragedy- and Hunter Gathers and the OSI are willing to meet them halfway and help. (because let's face it, even if the OSI had blown up the building the debris would still probably have rendered half of Colorado uninhabitable.) Just shows how a lot of the characters are actually halfway decent at what they do, when the situation finally works for them.

Also it's not really gone into a lot but Doc actually flat out saying he was happier as a middling bungling wannabe in Colorado rather than the stresses of trying to maintain a corporation he's even less competent or qualified to run feels like something they might have expanded on more.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 26, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Brick Frog is definitely pictured in the spy's encyclopedia under "Useful Idiot"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also possibly just wanted to see what happens when you give him level 10 gear to go nuts with.

I also got the immediate give that Sheila immediately identified with Mantilla as a female villain who had been overlooked and underappreciated, treated as arm-candy when she thrives given or taking the slightest amount of initiative on her own, even in a support role. Actually recognising her talents and setting her up outside the Guild's reach is win-win, a relatively peaceful resolution and turning a dangerous enemy into a potential future ally, similar to what happened with Phantom Limb, who actually works pretty well when finally given a Council seat.

And it's just lol that the Monarch learns that he's a part baboon clone, and he's absolutely thrilled about it, working it into his glorious rants. He truly is a Venture at heart, that's absolutely a Hank move. And Dr Mrs absolutely rolling with the poetic irony of him and Rusty having a Solid and Liquid Snake setup.

Speaking of Hank, his various alter egos following him around on his quest was fun. I like how they're treated as actually being helpful, variously stepping in when they have something useful to contribute, bickering amongst themselves in classic Venture style, offering theories that are in-character for them and plausible given this setting, and having fun in the snow of comaland to kill time. And Orpheus immediately identifies them as valid, if limited expressions of Hank's psyche.

On the note of Dermott it doesn't seem unlikely that he washed out of the OSI and/or is on a do-nothing assignment to get him out of the way, but I get the idea he basically grabbed everything he could as the Venture compound was being demolished before it got thrown away into landfill or the OSI's scrap heap. Been compared to Rusty himself in basically living off selling the detritus of Jonas' work, but honestly feels like he's valuing it better than most anyone else would. That said, can't blame the OSI for stripping the compound clean given how much insane world ending poo poo was just buried there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Anybody else still waiting for their shirt?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i ordered that morning and still no dice same with someone else I know

i really should have waited to see the shirts there's like two I'll wear

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah I got mines a few days ago, so it's probably really slow at rolling out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I got mine like two weeks ago, ordered the whole club and got in early tho

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Also still waiting on shirts, ordered as soon as it went live so :confuoot:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I saw someone on reddit mention just getting shirts yesterday. It just seems like the roll out was rough for whatever reason.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

probably depends on sizes too. I ordered the full set of larges and got them almost immediately

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shindragon posted:

If I had to pick the worst episode, is Dr. Quymn, Medicine Woman. Just that whole episode rub me off the wrong way and Dean being forced by two girls was just nah. just nah.

Dr Quymn has two of my favorite moments:

Dean, being suited up to fight an orangutan: "Brock, isn't this like, the saddest thing ever?"

And Hank, making a finger gun at the orangutan, ala Clint Eastwood in the "Every Which Way" films: "Hey Clyde! Bang!" And the orangutan beating the holy poo poo out of him.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I’m still waiting on all my shirts too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Dean, being suited up to fight an orangutan: "Brock, isn't this like, the saddest thing ever?"

This show was something special.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Doc rolling off the land cruiser gets me every time. Now you’re all ‘Go Team B-B-Boobies!’ is a great line read too.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

"quit shtarin' at my rear end, Samson, no means no!"

*shrugs indifferently*

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure that was also the episode where they paid attention to where they animated Hank's fingers when he was playing the bass and added in the actual audio of what that would sound like.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

TK-42-1 posted:

Doc rolling off the land cruiser gets me every time. Now you’re all ‘Go Team B-B-Boobies!’ is a great line read too.

Go Team Boobies is so great :allears: it is absolutely something Dean would say

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well here I am 700 posts later, now that the movie is up on Max. ~for however looooOOooOOooong~

Guess I'll spoiler it

Wow, what a great fuckin way to go out. I'm just such a sucker for ending scenes where everyone in the cast is just sitting around chatting and having a good time, maybe waves to the camera like in Owl House. So cheesy but it's just what you want. Like a great big wrap party. Everyone's clinking their bottles and sharing war stories, saying next year in Jerusalem

I will say — it would have crazy not to expect fanservice, but holy poo poo was there a lot of fanservice. Just off the top of my head, the moments where I was teetering on being taken out of it by the over-the-topness of it:

- BRRRRRICK FROG!!!!

- Monarch's OG costume

- "The Police!" argument which was clearly a recapitulation/homage to the whole "Jesus Jones" bit (did love how it set up the "digging in" character moment)

- Cameos like Watch/Ward just showing up for a second

- All the "greatest hits" of Dean and Hank in the forecourt of Venture Industries

- Even that near-last shot of Hank with the weird squiggly sideways-S-shaped mouth felt like a deliberate homage to the original character designs from Turtle Bay

- Not to mention the gratuitous shot of Doc and his hideous tiny little weiner, like they were deliberately poking fun at the perennial censor bar debates

But they pulled back just enough at just the right time for it never to really amount to too much. And there were so many great LOL moments, especially as the pace ramped up toward the end. The chaotic protracted flailing-around scene in the shipping bay with all the HelperPods and they're all getting flung all over the room and Hatred is visibly making GBS threads his shorts and Monarch gets ripped straight the gently caress out of his costume, holy goddamn lol. And like someone said earlier, when I realized the building was getting set down right on the foundation of the old compound, was that a rush or what.

I mean... that's how you end a series. Whether it's really the end or not, it's just where it ought to be.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 30, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I assumed Hatred was the only one bleeding from the butt because he had a buttplug in that got yanked out. That's why no one else was bleeding from the butt.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I assumed Hatred was the only one bleeding from the butt because he had a buttplug in that got yanked out. That's why no one else was bleeding from the butt.

If he had a buttplug in, running up and down 50 flights of stairs will cause enough chaffing to make your rear end bleed without the need of a magnetic field strong enough to rip it out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
probably just has really bad hemorrhoids.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm assuming its an animation error since they show everyone bleeding from every orifice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It is kinda funny how a lot of big reveals genuinely do happen, they just aren't necessarily spelled out by the characters, for some because they're already ancient history. Finally learning the parentage and origin of the Venture Bros... whoever that might apply to, for one. I do like how they follow up on the last episode by specifically wanting to do the DNA test with proper equipment rather than an incidental check from an antique, with the possibilities being as wide as they are in this universe.

Also kinda interesting given we have had glimpses of at least a possible future, one where Rusty and the Monarch are on better, even first-name terms. It seems entirely possible while the Monarch will definitely keep on arching Rusty, both realising he's actually a clone and at least part of his aggression is literally irrational as a result of it, might temper his grudges a bit, at least enough for it to settle down to a friendly rivalry even moreso than it already is.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's almost annoying in retrospect how identical he is drawn to Rusty. They have the identical shapes and beards, with Rusty just cutting his off.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's almost annoying in retrospect how identical he is drawn to Rusty. They have the identical shapes and beards, with Rusty just cutting his off.

That’s been one of the theories for as long as I remember. That The Venture Brothers was misdirection the whole time.

Are we still doing spoilers?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can I just say I really enjoyed that nice quiet scene on the porch with Hank and Ben giving him the watch. "It's the complications that make it special"

that's .. real good

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I watched an absolute poo poo-ton of Venture Brothers with a partner this week and, uh, I'm sorry to say one thing led to another

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I hate how perfect that is.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hate that it is

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In my defense, I only found the Breasted James.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Scaly Haylie posted:

I watched an absolute poo poo-ton of Venture Brothers with a partner this week and, uh, I'm sorry to say one thing led to another

Jesus Jones!!!