Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

All the colors are lame this year. :(

Edit: terrible page snipe but I guess this applies to all phones as there's even rumblings in the iPhone thread about lame phone colors outside of the titanium phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bull3964 posted:

The Pixel Watch is also one of the most accurate wearables for sleep and heart rate (yes, even beating out Garmin) on Android so I'll be interested if that holds with the updated sensors. Just a shame it's so fragile.

this prompted me to double check my fitbit app and turns out they recently updated the UI and added some interesting customization options. looks really slick.

i have a pixel watch 1 but would happily take a 2 if it comes free/cheap with a pixel 8. also, some of the advanced camera options have me considering a pixel 8 pro over my pixel 7 even tho i really don't want a hugephone and wish they would make a pixel 5 sized phone again.

the standard size 7 is already just too wide/tall for me to use comfortable one-handed anyway so might as well get a bigger screen and more stuff

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mental Hospitality posted:

All the colors are lame this year. :(

Edit: terrible page snipe but I guess this applies to all phones as there's even rumblings in the iPhone thread about lame phone colors outside of the titanium phones.

Seems like there may be other reasons to skip the Pros this year in iPhone land anyways. Looks like the marketers got ahead of the engineers in using titanium and made the phone suffer for it outside of overall weight. This year's iPhone 15 Pro MAX is the first iPhone since bend gate to fall the JerryRigEverything bend tests and there have already been reports of worse drop resistance due to the frame (on top of scratches galore).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Seems like there may be other reasons to skip the Pros this year in iPhone land anyways. Looks like the marketers got ahead of the engineers in using titanium and made the phone suffer for it outside of overall weight. This year's iPhone 15 Pro MAX is the first iPhone since bend gate to fall the JerryRigEverything bend tests and there have already been reports of worse drop resistance due to the frame (on top of scratches galore).

Also reports of poor yields from TSMC's 3nm process mean Apple have had to accept a lower standard of chip, resulting in significant heat and therefore throttling in the A17 Probiotic. Interesting times.

I really loved the orange Pixel 4 colour. Never owned one but the black camera array made a nice contrast with the orange.

Edit: might as well ask here since it's a wealth of experienced goons. Thankfully, the coalescence around USB C is taking a step forward with the new range of iPhones. I know there are a thousand charging standards that USB C can potentially cover, but is PPS just another proprietary standard or is it moving towards being able to adjust the standards based upon the device(s) it's charging?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 25, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mental Hospitality posted:

All the colors are lame this year.

I feel you. But at the same time, I usually just get black and throw it in a TPU case, anyway, so it doesn't really matter what color I end up with.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

But Samsung sleep tracking sucks too and the rest of the fitness metric stuff is decidedly 'meh.'

My only smart watch has been a galaxy watch active 2. I don't really use the sleep tracking if that means anything more than looking at it in the morning to see how long I slept. Its usually accurate, there have been a few times in the 2+ years where it says I slept way less than I did.

Is that discrepancy what you mean or is it doing/not doing something else I'm not even aware of?

I've always wondered if the analysis of my sleep, light vs heavy and so on, is accurate but I have nothing else to compare to

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For length of time, they all have that nailed pretty well. It's the various sleep stage tracking that isn't all that accurate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

but is PPS just another proprietary standard or is it moving towards being able to adjust the standards based upon the device(s) it's charging?

It's part of USB-C PD 3.0 and 3.1 as an optional component.

So, it's very much standards compliant, but you also can't assume watt=watt.

For example, Samsung requires ~4amp for their 45w charging. So, is not enough that it be a 45w charger, it has to be able to hit 45w in the volt/amp combo that the device wants and you have to use a 5amp cable or it will max out around 27w as it hits the 3amp limit on the phone's voltage limit.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zenfone 10 battery continually blowing my mind.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's part of USB-C PD 3.0 and 3.1 as an optional component.

So, it's very much standards compliant, but you also can't assume watt=watt.

For example, Samsung requires ~4amp for their 45w charging. So, is not enough that it be a 45w charger, it has to be able to hit 45w in the volt/amp combo that the device wants and you have to use a 5amp cable or it will max out around 27w as it hits the 3amp limit on the phone's voltage limit.

So some phones choose amps to fast charge, some choose volts. If a cable can handle a decent combo of those two, and the charger has PPS, it's likely any phone will charge at its fastest?

I got this earlier this month and so far as I can tell my iPad Pro 2022, iPhone SE 2020, and Pixel 7 all seem to like it. The Pixel 7 definitely displays that it's charging rapidly when plugged in. The iPad Pro charges so much faster than my original iPad Pro.

I also bought a few of these on recommendation from the thread. I think those are particularly nicely liked by different devices and standards?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So some phones choose amps to fast charge, some choose volts. If a cable can handle a decent combo of those two, and the charger has PPS, it's likely any phone will charge at its fastest?

Not necessarily. There are many 45w and 60w PPS chargers that top out at 3 amps. It was notable this year when the Anker Ace 45w came out that it could do Samsung Super Fast Charge 2.0 because the 2.0 means >3a. Before that, you almost only got greater than 3a if you went with a PPS charger that could do 100w on a single port.

Pixel 7 pro will do the charge rapidly toast so long as it can negotiate 18w or higher, so that by itself can't be used to determine the charge protocols (the OG pixel 18w adapter will give a charge rapidly toast on the Pixel 7 Pro.)

Samsung will say "Fast Charging" so long as it's 15w. "Super Fast Charging" means it can do at least 25w while Super Fast Charging 2.0 means 45w.

I've found my S23U is a great quick way to test my cables to see which ones are 5A capable. Plug it into one of my PPS 100w adapters and if I get the 2.0 toast, it's a 5A cable. If it's just Super Fast Charging, I know it's only a 3A cable.

For example, the Anker Ace has this published for its PPS parameters. The first grouping is what's relevant for the Samsung Super Fast Charging 2.0 since it's about 10v@4.5a at the max.

PPS: 3.3V-11V 5A /3.3V-16V 3A /
3.3V-21V 2.25A (45W Max)

The other thing that PPS does is allow the amps and volts to change dynamically without having to handshake again in small increments.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Not necessarily. There are many 45w and 60w PPS chargers that top out at 3 amps. It was notable this year when the Anker Ace 45w came out that it could do Samsung Super Fast Charge 2.0 because the 2.0 means >3a. Before that, you almost only got greater than 3a if you went with a PPS charger that could do 100w on a single port.

Pixel 7 pro will do the charge rapidly toast so long as it can negotiate 18w or higher, so that by itself can't be used to determine the charge protocols (the OG pixel 18w adapter will give a charge rapidly toast on the Pixel 7 Pro.)

Samsung will say "Fast Charging" so long as it's 15w. "Super Fast Charging" means it can do at least 25w while Super Fast Charging 2.0 means 45w.

I've found my S23U is a great quick way to test my cables to see which ones are 5A capable. Plug it into one of my PPS 100w adapters and if I get the 2.0 toast, it's a 5A cable. If it's just Super Fast Charging, I know it's only a 3A cable.

For example, the Anker Ace has this published for its PPS parameters. The first grouping is what's relevant for the Samsung Super Fast Charging 2.0 since it's about 10v@4.5a at the max.

PPS: 3.3V-11V 5A /3.3V-16V 3A /
3.3V-21V 2.25A (45W Max)

The other thing that PPS does is allow the amps and volts to change dynamically without having to handshake again in small increments.

Jesus Christ you're a wealth of knowledge. Would probably help if I could get my head around volts, amps and watts.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Watts ville

Bull, I've always wondered, are phones related to your job in any way or just a hobby?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just dig into anything I find mildly interesting.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Got an issue with a Samsung a32 phone and wifi calling, it's just not working. Running on mint mobile, my pixel 3a does it just fine. Googling doesn't really help. Is this the thread to ask for suggestions, or is there a better one?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Got an issue with a Samsung a32 phone and wifi calling, it's just not working. Running on mint mobile, my pixel 3a does it just fine. Googling doesn't really help. Is this the thread to ask for suggestions, or is there a better one?

Are you sure your carrier allows it? Wifi calling is something carriers can allow/disallow on a per-model basis. My old Motorola One 5G Ace had wifi calling available on only 1 out of the 3 carriers I had it on, for instance.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Sorry both my phone the pixel 3a and the Samsung a32 are running mint mobile. Mine can do wifi calling, a32 can't.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Most likely explanation is that Mint mobile hasn’t white listed the A32 for WiFi calling. Not much you can do if that’s the case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mint Mobile has a lookup tool for the IMEI that will let you know if the phone is compatible with WiFi Calling.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

bull3964 posted:

Mint Mobile has a lookup tool for the IMEI that will let you know if the phone is compatible with WiFi Calling.

This was super helpful thank you. His model / imei is not supported. So now I gotta figure out if we have to buy a new phone model I guess. Sigh

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Spikes32 posted:

This was super helpful thank you. His model / imei is not supported. So now I gotta figure out if we have to buy a new phone model I guess. Sigh

I got burned this way years ago when I was on Cricket Wireless. They did the same thing with WiFi calling.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Why do they block wifi calling on some models and not others? It seems like the sort of thing that should be all or nothing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inceltown posted:

Why do they block wifi calling on some models and not others? It seems like the sort of thing that should be all or nothing.

Because gently caress you, that's why.

Seriously, though, carriers do all sorts of poo poo for no apparent reason, or gate features behind postpaid plans presumably just to make way more economical prepaid plans less attractive. Want to use the voicemail transcription feature on a Pixel 6? Have to have postpaid Verizon - it's blocked on prepaid. poo poo like that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The American mobile operators sound like a selection of mouldy milk.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Because capitalism. Literally.

AT&T got in trouble for gating WiFi calling based on IMEI for identical phones, just not allowing phones purchased elsewhere to use it. No technical reason, just because the money went through them instead of someone else.

In the US, remember, shareholders dictate everything. They want growth at all costs.

If Verizon reached 100% saturation in the US, shareholders would still tank the stock the next quarter because there was not enough growth.

It's psychotic and ruins everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The latest false outrage talking point is because the Pixel 8 Pro has a 1344x2992 display instead of the 1440x3120 all of the trolls are saying the Pro downgraded to a 1080p+ display.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bless the :spergin:

Higher number is always better

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bless the :spergin:

Higher number is always better

It would be one thing if I thought they were actually genuine rather than just rage baiters.

If you listened to certain corners of the Internet, Google phones haven't had a signal since the Pixel 6 launched, battery only lasts about an hour browsing the Internet and that's it your phone didn't burn your hand in the process.

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008

OptionalPirate posted:

Does anyone understand how Android interprets pause/play signals from a Bluetooth headset? My pixel has recently gone from being able to consistently remember and resume what I was last listening to (podcast, audible etc.). Now it will only ever resume playing music through Poweramp. So even if I pause my podcast for a second, when I resume I'll get music instead. This is android 13 btw.

Quoting myself - this issue seems to have fixed itself.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Inceltown posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Because gently caress you, that's why.

Seriously, though, carriers do all sorts of poo poo for no apparent reason, or gate features behind postpaid plans presumably just to make way more economical prepaid plans less attractive. Want to use the voicemail transcription feature on a Pixel 6? Have to have postpaid Verizon - it's blocked on prepaid. poo poo like that.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Because capitalism. Literally.

AT&T got in trouble for gating WiFi calling based on IMEI for identical phones, just not allowing phones purchased elsewhere to use it. No technical reason, just because the money went through them instead of someone else.

In the US, remember, shareholders dictate everything. They want growth at all costs.

If Verizon reached 100% saturation in the US, shareholders would still tank the stock the next quarter because there was not enough growth.

It's psychotic and ruins everything.

It's also probably easier from a support standpoint to just support it only on phones you specifically sell, and not unlocked phones you can purchase outside of the carrier. It's an easy line for the agent on the other end of chat/phone to say.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's also probably easier from a support standpoint to just support it only on phones you specifically sell, and not unlocked phones you can purchase outside of the carrier. It's an easy line for the agent on the other end of chat/phone to say.

I could see this for models, but not IMEI. AT&T got dinged for not whitelisting the exact same phone they were selling, just without the IMEI already in their system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To be fair, IMEI is a pretty accessible way to look up a specific model rather than to ask customers to track down what regional variant they bought.

This is especially true with all the gray market vendors on Amazon selling SE Asian models of phones that have North American variants.

So, blacklisting purely based on IMEI isn't great, but it's an acceptable tool to remove ambiguity about what you are bringing to the service.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anyone know a way to use your phone's internal mic, while using Bluetooth headphones?

Bluetooth headphones tend to have a cheap mic included in them, and even Bluetooth adapters for wired headphones include a little cheap mic. I've been vexed by this for some time. Is there any way to use the phone's mic and disable the Bluetooth mic?

I'll buy anything. It is just kooky how you can't pick what your input and output devices are easily like you do on say a PC. You can turn Bluetooth on or off during a call, but that doesn't help you use your phone's mic while using Bluetooth headphones.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 28, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Maybe try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vn.audioswitch.audiotest.kk

Where you select your phone's internal audio in your app/OS and then use this to switch the output to your headphones?

No idea if that will work

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Aware posted:

Maybe try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vn.audioswitch.audiotest.kk

Where you select your phone's internal audio in your app/OS and then use this to switch the output to your headphones?

No idea if that will work

Doesn't look like it. Just lets me turn Bluetooth on or off same as in phone settings, turning microphone off in that doesn't successfully turn off the Bluetooth device's mic, etc.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Lame. Sorry I don't think it's baked into Android so probably not easily possible.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Google updated the Assistant widget so now it looks and behaves totally differently and I can't change it back. :mad:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

isndl posted:

Google updated the Assistant widget so now it looks and behaves totally differently and I can't change it back. :mad:

Yeah this was a fun surprise to wake up to

scorp31
Nov 27, 2007
I think this topic came up recently in this thread or the Canadian Cellular thread, but just an FYI for anybody that banks with TD Canada Trust: They finally support Google Wallet / Pay now! Somebody on Reddit posted they noticed it working today and I set up my TD credit card and made a payment with it a little while ago and it seems to be working. Haven't seen any official announcement from the bank yet.

For some reason TD steadfastly refused to support Google Pay for what seemed like an eternity, despite every other Canadian bank doing so long ago. They'd only support Apple Pay and Samsung Pay. They had their own mobile payment app that Pixel and other Android users could use but they dropped support for it last November and since then any non-Samsung Android users have been SOL. Thankfully that's now been rectified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I have a question about expiration of Google Store credits.

I have a $100 promotional credit from the purchase of a phone last year. The phone order was made October 9, 2022, and it was delivered October 13, 2022.

I plan on buying a Pixel 8. From what I can see, preorders begin October 4, 2023. Various sites are stating that it either ships or will be delivered by October 12, 2023.

The store page just says that promotional credits expire after 1 year. I received an email on October 11, 2022, stating that I had a $100 credit, so presumably it counts from that date? Does the credit get used at the time of pre-order (ie October 4, 2023), or not until the phone is shipped (when one's card would usually be charged, I believe)?

Basically I want to use this credit to buy a Pixel 8, but I'm worried that it'll be cutting it too close and I'll lose it.