Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That said, if you’ve never picked up the quest to unlock it, you can’t roll it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, i got bit by that when i was looking for a nice chill alliance run and then rouletted into scaith and was like poo poo, that's right, i unlocked that. (and got turned into a paste, but we powered through)

That is kinda the standard Dun Scaith experience, yeah

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
If I do a dungeon/raid/trial for the first time I always do a 'hiya first time here' when zoning in. It usually gets replies to have fun and enjoy the cutscene(s) or tips for a gimmick or something.
First time I entered Dun Scaith 3 people replied 'Hope you like dying'. Which I did multiple times.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The first boss of Dun Scaith is exceptionally easy once you know what to do but new players are never ever prepared for what's about to happen to them there.

Hell, not even just new players, judging from the average roulette group.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, Deathgaze. How many instant kill mechanics do you need? One, two, three...

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
it's also one of the only alliance raid bosses in the entire game with a hard enrage!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Dun Scaith is such a wonderfully memorable raid for so many reasons.

It's also the place where I managed to see, and participate in, the dropping of 7 Black Mage LB3s on three encounters. 2 plus someone else on one encounter, 3 on the second-last boss, and another 2 on the final boss.

It was a thing of beauty.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kind of annoying that you can't convert normal Pagos Crystals into the frosted kind, you have to light grind.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Ah, Deathgaze. How many instant kill mechanics do you need? One, two, three...

Every alliance raid boss should at minimum have three instant kill mechanics.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Today I learned the cutscnes from character creation to your home city's inn keeper are all the way in the sidequests tab of The Unending Journey.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Funky Valentine posted:

Kind of annoying that you can't convert normal Pagos Crystals into the frosted kind, you have to light grind.

we've done some research on the light grind in pagos, and it seems that prep mobs give about triple the light of non-prep mobs. best sources are the 40 morbols for cassie prep or the 40 undead for louhi prep. being in a smaller party (about two people) helps, so does having red, instead of purple emnity on the mob (be in the group that tags them first). anything that affects XP gain also gives you more light, so make sure to run potions of harmony and grab a faerie buff!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Runa posted:

The single most wanted (and drat near impossible thanks to said spaghetti code) QoL feature in the game's entire history right there

Second one is "skip cutscene" for praetorium.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Szarrukin posted:

I don't get this one because the only reason people run prae and the other to msqr dungeons now is because that's where they are in msq or because of the very generous exp/tome rewards. But if they made the cutscenes skippable the runs would become so quick that they'd have to drop the rewards to a fraction of their current level so it wouldn't really gain anything.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My understanding is that the capstone level 50 content used to have skippable cutscenes, but this led to people constantly charging forward while newbies were in cutscenes, so your choice was "watch cutscenes" or "play any of the content" and the devs decided this was a pretty lovely experience for new players hitting the action climax of 2.0 and shut it down

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Unless they change Prae again to prevent pulling if someone is in a cutscene, they will never make Prae have cutscenes that are skippable, and for a very good reason. Later expansions got rid of the cutscene problem by making cutscenes mid-dungeon not important to the story, but that's not possible for Prae.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, it's not a coincidence that post 2.0, mid-dungeon cutscenes are much shorter and are usually just "final boss poses cool" with no plot content

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

you'll pry my 14 mogtomes per run in exchange for watching youtube through most of it from my cold dead hands

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Antivehicular posted:

My understanding is that the capstone level 50 content used to have skippable cutscenes, but this led to people constantly charging forward while newbies were in cutscenes, so your choice was "watch cutscenes" or "play any of the content" and the devs decided this was a pretty lovely experience for new players hitting the action climax of 2.0 and shut it down

Yep. I got there 2.3 era ish. I went into the first cutscene, as apparently did the other healer. When it was done the party was dead outside the boss gates telling us to skip and watch later.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Unless they change Prae again to prevent pulling if someone is in a cutscene, they will never make Prae have cutscenes that are skippable, and for a very good reason. Later expansions got rid of the cutscene problem by making cutscenes mid-dungeon not important to the story, but that's not possible for Prae.

And the one exception I can think of absolutely frequently has people pull when people are in cutscenes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Finishing the HOW GLIB cutscene only for Gaius to have been turbomurdered by your party in the meantime.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the cuts are fine. newbies need to see them, vets joke or watch youtubes during them, its fiiiiine. Good way to get a bunch of laundry done.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i don't like watching the prae cutscenes so i simply do not queue msq roulette

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
My first time through Prae in ARR was me and another first timer getting left behind at the first teleporter (these were not locked behind killing the first pack so the meta was just to bum-rush the teleporter and spam interact on it), dying and respawning in time to enter the first cutscene, finishing that cutscene straight into the next and so on until the last boss was killed. Got out of the last cutscene to see party chat full of lols at the "Warriors of Light"

It sucked and I'm glad it's gone.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
just did an insane sidequest that took be through HW again entirely lol... ffs

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Thankfully, I got warned about the skippable cutscenes and getting left behind, and a couple of level 70 goons from the EU guild offered to carry me through it unsynced so I could actually watch the cutscenes.

That Little Demon posted:

Oh, that one! I think this was added towards the end of HW's patches, so it had been almost two years or so when it was added. I guess it was just supposed to be something to look over what you did. Feels a little silly when you don't have the long waits.
They don't really do that again. Shadowbringers sort of has something similar, but it's integrated into the MSQ and it's just touching base with important NPCs.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 25, 2023

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I encountered a mentor tank the other week who was spamming Prae over and over again back-to-back and was only "about 300 runs away" from the mentor mount. They changed their language to Japanese so their cutscenes ended 3-5 seconds earlier and they could start DPSing Nero and Gaius while everyone else was still occupied. Meanwhile, we have a sprout in the party going through for the first time. So there are absolutely still people out there gaming the system with MSQ roulette

They did not seem very happy with their decision to do all this, nor did they seem to understand why they were doing it, but they sure were talkative about it

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you get a pretty good emote at the end of it all.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Don't you have to use the mentor roulette to get the mount?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Don't you have to use the mentor roulette to get the mount?

Yes. Spamming anything else isn't gonna do much for you if that's your goal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this one's particularly stupid because dps doesn't really matter that much on gaius, the phantoms aren't skippable. they'll show up at 0.1% but they will show up. Just chillllll.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

this one's particularly stupid because dps doesn't really matter that much on gaius, the phantoms aren't skippable. they'll show up at 0.1% but they will show up. Just chillllll.

This is something I've been wondering for a while, thanks for clearing that up. Closest I've managed is 3% before phantoms. Figured they weren't skippable but wasn't positive.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

Not only that but at launch spamming CM and Prae was the go to method to farm tomestones as you got 100 a run and they were super fast with cutscene skipping. You did not receive the capped currency from them, but that wasn't that big of a deal when you were trying to get out of i50 gear.

So at 2.0 launch period watching cutscenes was actually impossible if you wanted to actually do the dungeons since people were entering them purely for tomestones.

Also remember that the only other level cap dungeons at the time were Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep, and Wanderer's Palace had less tomestones drop per run and Amdapor was actually considered somewhat challenging by the playerbase at the time. So there was no reason to run Wanderer's at all and Amdapor was purely for capping for the week. At some point I think they boosted Wanderer's Palace to drop the same amount as Amdapor, and everyone just speed ran that instead.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 25, 2023

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I thought for sure they said something about the mentor mount but I could be wrong. idk what else they could've been gunning for but it was something

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

God Hole posted:

I thought for sure they said something about the mentor mount but I could be wrong. idk what else they could've been gunning for but it was something
Maybe mounts from the current Moogle Tomestone event. I don't know how many tomestones Prae gives but the seven Stormblood dogs are 30 tomestones each, and there's also the Titania gwiber and tyrannosaurus for 50 tomestones each.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

God Hole posted:

they probably were smashing mentor roulette and given that msqdr is a pretty popular roulette that gives both good exp and, currently, mog tomes, they were likely getting placed into those duties pretty regularly.

but i don't think that prae is something that anyone "targets" for mentor roulette clears

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, if this was last week, they were probably spamming runs for mogtomes, since Prae is the fastest thing on the most profitable tier. I've been seeing PF listings for groups that deliberately force-quit the game to skip cutscenes in those duties, which is... I mean, okay, if that's what you want to do, but geez.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

listen, they don't need to make praetorium cutscenes skippable, but the INTRO CUTSCENE doesn't need to play every time! We have to wait for a newbie to see the cutscene before we can start anyway, so if there is one, we'll see it, but if not, we can save a couple minutes! This doesn't seem wholly unreasonable.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
okay so without knowing too much, and don't spoil me please

about Warrior of Darkness

if what he says is true and his world can only be saved by destroying ours, I agree with him 100% and would do the same and his motivation is just. I would do whatever I could to save my family, my loved ones, even if it meant destroying a different universe, as cold as that sounds. It makes this story so so so so interesting and I hope to god they stick the landing on this because goddamn I love that loving motivation.... also its cool to hear the light can be bad as well when not in balance and how he described it is truly haunting. Good loving poo poo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hopefully it's not a spoiler to say that the game will address everything you're talking about, and in ways most players find satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"We did everything right" is not a lie or mistake.