Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Series 5 of DS9 has a run of six absolutely amazing episodes stopped in their tracks by the Risa one.
When you read the trivia and they're basically saying "it's a sex episode where we can't show sex" you kinda consider "this is a planet of sex workers, where you go to have sex. And it's on TV in the US at 1800 in the 90s" and boggle for a moment

Also (said a bunch before) why the gently caress don't they arrest Worf or banish him and those guys from the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Worf did you nothing wrong.

Everyone goes there for their fantasies and Worf's was to do a terrorism. It was all play acting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

Worf did you nothing wrong.

Everyone goes there for their fantasies and Worf's was to do a terrorism. It was all play acting.

Worf's fantasy was for everyone to be as miserable as he is for a change.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay important question: is Lwaxanna bullshitting about Picard being horned up for her? The obvious answer is yes, but Pixard is auch a repressed, victorian prude that I could believe that would be his response

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

oh hey a new thread. i should check my bookmarks more often.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

No Dignity posted:

Okay important question: is Lwaxanna bullshitting about Picard being horned up for her? The obvious answer is yes, but Pixard is auch a repressed, victorian prude that I could believe that would be his response

Picard looks older than he is, but even then he seems to be into women quite a bit younger than Lwaxanna. She's projecting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Risa episode failed Chekhov's Gun.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Axanar trashfire

I liked the little faux documentary they made to drum up interest, imo it would have been better to aim for a fully polished version of that instead of whatever the gently caress they're trying to do now

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

The Risa episode failed Chekhov's Gun.

A warrior's panties.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I feel the ideology of TNG can be effectively summarised by Picard explaining to some holodeck characters that WW2 was bad but kinda worth it because it led to the global supremacy of the US and cool spaceships

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Looking forward to two generations from now when the captain lists all the positive outcomes of the eugenics war

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"Imagine what the 21st century would have looked like without it."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nuclear war really nipped that whole climate change thing in the bud

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Moving on through DS9 season 3, the House of Quark, Second Skin and Civil Defense are alk fantastic. I'm trying not to skip anything, but I didn't feel like slogging through Meridian, the lovely Brigadoon episode. Fascination (Lwaxana part 2) I find kind of disappointing, cause the previous Lwaxana episode had such a tender moment between Odo and her, but then she's just back to making him terribly uncomfortable constantly.

Past Tense is great and hits very differently today, though the final lines between Bashir and Sisko are painfully 90s: "how could they have let things get so bad?"

Just watched Life Support, Bareil's final episode. Pretty good overall, I just find it a little unsatisfying how Bashir just manages to replace half Bareil's brain with a positronic one while also admitting they still don't understand the brain completely in the 24th century. I think maybe throwing out the B plot of Jake and Nog having a fight could've allowed for a more gradual buildup where Bashir starts repeatedly putting implants in his brain to take over functions, until very little of the real thing is left. I get the impression Bareil's actor just went for "act like a robot" when he wakes up with the robot brain, and it feels like a missed opportunity for a real existential / body horror episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Meridian is a bottom 5 DS9 episode so you didn’t miss anything

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FlamingLiberal posted:

Meridian is a bottom 5 DS9 episode so you didn’t miss anything

You miss one of the all time greatest DS9 moments though

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just watch a supercut of the B-plot. A subcut?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm doing a rewatch, so I have seen Meridian before. I forgot that had Quark's deepfake plot. Many of the worst DS9 episodes have a fun thing you'd otherwise miss, like the singing Klingon chef.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
DS9 giveth, and DS9 taketh away. Often in the same episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

davidspackage posted:

more gradual buildup where Bashir starts repeatedly putting implants in his brain to take over functions, until very little of the real thing is left.

Should have had Bashir accidentally make a Borg

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bareil is rebuilt into a battleroid, starts amassing heavy weaponry and takes the fight to Cardassia Prime with the help of a plucky yet deranged AI sidekick

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The only truly unwatchable DS9 episode IMHO is the one where Lwaxana is pregnant and Meg Foster tries to seduce Jake

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

davidspackage posted:

I'm doing a rewatch, so I have seen Meridian before. I forgot that had Quark's deepfake plot. Many of the worst DS9 episodes have a fun thing you'd otherwise miss, like the singing Klingon chef.

Fortunately the Klingon chef also shows up in "Playing God" thus rendering Melora one of the only truly skippable DS9 episodes. Not that Playing God is a classic or anything, but it's certainly more entertaining than Melora. (It's also got Quark reacting to the sonic vole-repellant device.)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I get the impression Bareil's actor just went for "act like a robot" when he wakes up with the robot brain

How could you tell the difference?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Bareil is rebuilt into a battleroid, starts amassing heavy weaponry and takes the fight to Cardassia Prime with the help of a plucky yet deranged AI sidekick

Bareil: blessings of the Prophets upon you.

*a metal hatch on his chest opens, revealing an array of X57-class "Prophet" missiles*

Soul Dentist posted:

How could you tell the difference?

Eyyyy!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Bariel not being horrified almost works because it shows that he's not acting human Bajoran any more

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Well, I buggered up last night and posted my first impressions of Fistful of Datas and Quality of Life in the Modern thread, in case you missed it and wish to rebuke me, I did not like the latter, the Exocomps did not tug on my heartstrings.

Anyway, Chain of Command parts I + II. Well, I was thinking the season so far had been fairly frivolous. I was wanting a bit of weight and... Yeah, that was heavy as gently caress. I had vague knowledge of it, the one where David Warner tortures Picard, that's about it. Knew nothing of Ronny Cox and the broader strokes of the story, but yes, all good. I liked Cox as Jellicoe, I'm not sure if I wasn't supposed to at first, but he simply came across as a guy who had something needed doing in a very short space of time, something that he obviously couldn't disclose and was doing the best he could to pull it all together. The telling moment that confirmed it was Troi telling Riker that he wasn't so sure of himself. The second episode goes very nasty indeed, Warner not camping it up or chewing the scenery, just a grim bastard. It's him and Stewart giving a masterclass and it's something to behold. Do also like how it expands a bit more on the Cardassians, making them a bit more nuanced than the Romulan knock offs I had them pegged as so far.

Yeah, I could go for another frivolous one after that as long as it's not a return to Risa. Picard needs another break. loving hell.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MuddyFunster posted:

Anyway, Chain of Command parts I + II.

If you're curious, these were the last episodes to air in 1992, and DS9 premiered shortly after in January 1993. There's not really much to gain from trying to watch them side-by-side or anything, but there are one or two fairly inconsequential crossovers that happen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Nuclear war really nipped that whole climate change thing in the bud

Turns out the nuclear winter bought us enough time to get fusion online! And when the crops failed, we finally got around to eating the rich!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I know this is the classic thread so I'll spoil this for people who don't want to get worked up about something stupid, but Picard established that the 2024 Europa mission that was the focus of the second season found a sentient microbe on Europa that eats pollution so it eventually fixed everything back on Earth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

I know this is the classic thread so I'll spoil this for people who don't want to get worked up about something stupid, but Picard established that the 2024 Europa mission that was the focus of the second season found a sentient microbe on Europa that eats pollution so it eventually fixed everything back on Earth.

Bullshit, Picard Season 2 is a myth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Knormal posted:

Just in time for the eugenics wars and nuclear annihilation!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Freemason Rush Week posted:

I liked the little faux documentary they made to drum up interest, imo it would have been better to aim for a fully polished version of that instead of whatever the gently caress they're trying to do now

Yeah, I'd basically already lost interest in the project when it became clear the actual movie was going to be a generic war story and not a Ken Burns-style documentary about the Klingon War. So I don't feel we missed much.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Sir Lemming posted:

If you're curious, these were the last episodes to air in 1992, and DS9 premiered shortly after in January 1993. There's not really much to gain from trying to watch them side-by-side or anything, but there are one or two fairly inconsequential crossovers that happen.

I am going to do DS9 at some point, but not right after TNG's done. I just don't feel I'd be able to manage another 7 seasons without burning out.

The Modern Trek thread was rather helpful in making up my mind that I'd try one of the newer shows. I think maybe SNW, though Lower Decks has been brought up enough that I'm curious about that too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

I am going to do DS9 at some point, but not right after TNG's done. I just don't feel I'd be able to manage another 7 seasons without burning out.

The Modern Trek thread was rather helpful in making up my mind that I'd try one of the newer shows. I think maybe SNW, though Lower Decks has been brought up enough that I'm curious about that too.

Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds are the shows worth watching. As is Prodigy, if you're willing to either pay for or pirate its episodes because Paramount erased for tax rebates and now pretends it doesn't exist.

Don't bother with Discovery or Picard, they suck.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It wasn't for taxes, if it was, you wouldn't be able to buy it still.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Yeah, as much as I enjoyed Picard S3 (slowly coming round to the fact that it's basically just a big bundle of wrongheaded TOS movie/TNG nostalgia wank and doesn't do TNG justice at all), what little I saw of Picard S1, I was like "NO, absolutely not." I have a few Trekkie mates and they really cajoled me hard into watching S3 until I relented. Hey, it got me interested in watching the show proper, so there's that.

Discovery, I remember being with that same set of mates where we all gathered and watched the first three episodes. Again, just went "Not feeling this." and haven't really given it a second thought since.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ensigns of Command is such a good Data episode. Also like one of the only times you get the impression that Data can be baited into anger, even if he doesn't identify as such

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Feldegast42 posted:

The only truly unwatchable DS9 episode IMHO is the one where Lwaxana is pregnant and Meg Foster tries to seduce Jake

The Muse is a bad episode but I like the lwaxana story, Michael Ansara is decent and Odo actually gets pretty passionate.
It sounds like it was one of those episodes where they just couldn't quite make the script work and they ended up making something that didn't make anyone happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Never skip a DS9 episode because it's almost guaranteed to at least have a good b-plot or classic character scene