Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Didnt Amex used to be the one that did Costco's credit card, but then they got greedy and ooppps Costco switched to with Mastercard.

Yup now I'm using my bank card instead of getting cash back because my credit cards are AmEx and Visa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

I remember exchanging American Express Checks in various European offices.

Cheques*

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

Amazon just announced that prime video is gonna start having ads next year unless you pay an extra 3 bucks a month.

https://www.engadget.com/amazons-prime-video-will-show-ads-unless-you-pay-3-more-per-month-111709384.html?src=rss&guccounter=1

My prime subscription was already on thin as gently caress ice. This is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

PhazonLink posted:

Didnt Amex used to be the one that did Costco's credit card, but then they got greedy and ooppps Costco switched to with Mastercard.

I don't think it's really fair to say it was amex's greed, just their unwillingness to keep losing money every year on the deal.

Amex used to be the exclusive Costco network, but Costco negotiated hard for this exclusivity, and amex was losing a ton of money on the deal. Citi probably is, too.

Also, it's visa that Costco takes now, not MasterCard.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My prime subscription was already on thin as gently caress ice. This is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

Literally had that some convo with my wife today. We barely order from Amazon anymore as it is.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

PhazonLink posted:

im pretty sure virtual cards are still linked to you some how. unless you mean like buy a visa or master card with just enough for the balance.

also its kinda surprising seeing goons support hotels when airBnB/etc seem to be dominating. what do you users also still uses local taxi services?

I used one AirBnB ever, and was chased out of the house by roaches in the middle of the night. You can have my spot in the reservation queue, I’ll be at a real hotel.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I used one AirBnB ever, and was chased out of the house by roaches in the middle of the night. You can have my spot in the reservation queue, I’ll be at a real hotel.

Real hotel is hardly a guarantee against roaches or other things like bedbugs. gently caress Airbnb though.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

All of the AirBNBs near me are things like $700 a night to stay in an RV parked in some guy's barn. The only explanation I can think of is that nobody actually stays in them and it's all for money laundering.

Can someone explain why we see listings for an ordinary place for $21000 for one night and poo poo like that? Is it just the algorithm when things get booked out? Or is there an actual human typing that price in.

naem
May 29, 2011

the movie Barbarian was a realistic look at both an average air-b-n-b stay and life in Detroit

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

naem posted:

Van™️©️ Life©️™️©️ used to be a wacky fun alternative thing you could do temporarily and make a youtube™️©️©️™️ channel to document it because of what a free spirit you are

then it became “I can’t afford rent” and now it’s “vans cost $200k and you poop in a bucket”

If you want to understand what van life once was watch SuperVan.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
wait wait at an air b&b you literally have chores to do? I thought that was a loving joke.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

wait wait at an air b&b you literally have chores to do? I thought that was a loving joke.

Yeah some of them are real wild about rules

Like yes, absolutely don’t leave the place a pigsty but if it’s like, wash the windows and baseboards, maybe don’t do Airbnb hosting

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

Yeah some of them are real wild about rules

Like yes, absolutely don’t leave the place a pigsty but if it’s like, wash the windows and baseboards, maybe don’t do Airbnb hosting

I saw one that wanted an 8am checkout time AND they wanted the sheets laundered AND the bed remade.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"Please scrub the wall sconces with a toothbrush before you leave (you must provide your own)"

"$250 cleaning fee"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Chrpno posted:

Can someone explain why we see listings for an ordinary place for $21000 for one night and poo poo like that? Is it just the algorithm when things get booked out? Or is there an actual human typing that price in.

regressive Q tinhat-ers would say thats actually a listing for evil DEM baby eating satan pizza orgy party.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I'm sure there's legitimate examples of Airbnbs with absurd rules but I've stayed in probably 100+ different ones and never been asked to do more than wash the dishes that I use, take the trash out, and start a load in the washing machine. So yeah "chores", but a small price to pay for having a full kitchen and in-unit laundry.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
The thing that gets me is not knowing what's a good brand and what's just coasting off of a good brand name. Like you have to keep track of when a company inevitably turns to poo poo and predict what the next good company is going to take its place. Then that company will inevitably turn to poo poo. It's all too exhausting.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Outpost22 posted:

The thing that gets me is not knowing what's a good brand and what's just coasting off of a good brand name. Like you have to keep track of when a company inevitably turns to poo poo and predict what the next good company is going to take its place. Then that company will inevitably turn to poo poo. It's all too exhausting.

This. I guess the current metric is to see if they're a public company, if so :sever:

An enshittification index would be nice.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TVGM posted:

This. I guess the current metric is to see if they're a public company, if so :sever:

An enshittification index would be nice.

Consumerist.com used to chronicle the post-2008 slide into what we're now living every day, but it folded some time ago.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Outpost22 posted:

The solution is to be rich. The economy is slowly retreating upmarket and eventually poors won't have much of anything to buy at all and will be effectively locked out of consumerism and forced to subsist any way they can, or die. Welcome to the collapse of industrial civilization, it is a long, long, long way down.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
If the poors don't have any money to spend how do companies that sell goods and services not go under?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
it's usually telling when non rich people slob the knob of the wealthy corps. without fail on my Facebook page, someone (like the hippie nurse) will post about how record profits are stolen wages, and then the Poor People Deserve It dude (who does mostly golf these days) snipes back that people need to work hard to get money, and it goes on and on for hours. I just know you two from fish clubs, now I know which of you I need to avoid.

then again I am amazed at the people who say "both sides are the same" until an issue hits them, and they are shocked. for my friend who said he never paid attention to politics ever, it was Roe being overturned. He's still shocked that it happened and how different the political groups are. Like, dude, did you sleep through all the insanity of 9/11?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Serious_Cyclone posted:

They’re going to have to actually produce something I’d be willing to watch first except for Jury Duty, which was very good

Cassandro is phenomenal.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Cassandro is phenomenal.

Counterpart was also really solid before they axed it.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Koburn posted:

If the poors don't have any money to spend how do companies that sell goods and services not go under?

Tax payer funded bailout, probably.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Koburn posted:

They will.
Some will shift to international markets.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
My new washing machine comes with a wifi module so it can spy on me. Even if I installed and used the app on my phone I'd still have to walk over to the machine to put my washing in so there's the obvious question of how this rigamarole is an improvement over just turning the front dial while you're there.

Also:

quote:

"Before installing the washing machine in its final location, ensure the signal strength is sufficient for your Wi-Fi network."

This thing weighs 95kg and I only have one laundry. It fits where it fits, Miele.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My new window air conditioner has a Bluetooth logo on it and the manual specifically says it has Bluetooth, but nowhere does it say how to pair it to something or what that could do. I assume set the temperature, but if you're in Bluetooth range you are in range of being able to push the button in less time than it takes get a phone out. I tried searching for an app out of curiosity and it doesn't seem to exist.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes, because just searching for new mysterious blue tooth devices is great security

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Went to Peter Piper Pizza (and I’m sure this applies to other pizza chains with big birthday party vibes) to celebrate my nephew’s birthday and all the games were just bullshit trick, chance, and skill games to win tickets (which are now on a tap card that also doubles for tokens). I mean, the latter is easier than physical tokens and tickets, but there were no arcade games to play, the air hockey tables were gone, the carousel was gone, and even skeeball, the most ubiquitous game at joints like this was a single lane in a forgotten area.

Even the actual amount of tickets needed to win a lovely prize isn’t worth it anymore. The games pay out like 5 or 10 tickets at a time for a single game and you need like 1000 tickets to get an eraser or single Tootsie Roll or some crapass prize. I mean, ticket gouging has always been a thing even when I was a kid, but the erasure of actual fun games to play and let kids have some decent fun is terrible.

At least my nephew still had a decent birthday :)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Outpost22 posted:

Despite general trends, there are a bunch of legacy brands that still sweep their class.

Bounty paper towels: excellent, over-specced. Perfect perforation

Tide: great detergent, no notes

Fantastik: grease cutter extraordinaire

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I just opened Photoshop (I know, it's at work, it's what we use.) and Photoshop, on it's own and unprompted, opened a "generative AI" tutorial file. Then it popped open a tip window and began to autoplay a video about the tutorial.

It's bad enough that literally every forum, website, social media timeline and discussion is about this garbage. I knew Adobe was working on a toolset, but I guess I'm not allowed to ignore it and just do my work anymore.
Literally furious about this poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

You Are A Elf posted:

Went to Peter Piper Pizza (and I’m sure this applies to other pizza chains with big birthday party vibes) to celebrate my nephew’s birthday and all the games were just bullshit trick, chance, and skill games to win tickets (which are now on a tap card that also doubles for tokens). I mean, the latter is easier than physical tokens and tickets,

I miss physical tickets because I felt like a genius when I was...idk, 12 or 13 and wondered if I could put basically ANY of those admission/raffle-style tickets into the automated ticket counters that scanned them and spat out a receipt with the amount. Turns out for the arcade I went to...yes! (I looked up just now and it does depends on the machine. Some can be configured to only scan tickets with certain barcodes/other info on them, but some just accept any ticket you shove in there.)

Granted, for most kids, that's useless info, because where are you going to get a roll of those tickets? Well, for reasons too tedious to get into here...there was a big roll of those in my house for, like, two years. My dad had them leftover from running a raffle thingy for some organization. But those rolls hold a smaller amount of tickets than you expect. I just looked, and it seems most new rolls now have like 2000 tickets, and this was a used roll, so it was only a few hundred tickets I got from it.

Granted, free tickets is free tickets, but a few hundred extra still don't get you much.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I don't think I saw the automatic ticket eaters until I was well into adulthood. I always had to go to the counter and have them weighed, and I was always a little mad because I counted beforehand and they always shorted me. Preteen me had many an argument with those minimum wage teenagers. I was a ticket Karen.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
They just shoved Shorts into the recommendations for YouTube videos which is an extremely lovely move of them as shorts are loving the killer combo of modern internet: WACK, BAD FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH and ADDICTIVE. gently caress sake

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Why are like 95% of online ads now related to treatments etc for having a small dick?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate to be the one to tell you about personalized ads, but

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

CaptainCrunch posted:

I just opened Photoshop (I know, it's at work, it's what we use.)

Is there an obvious superior alternative to Photoshop?

You Are A Elf posted:

Went to Peter Piper Pizza (and I’m sure this applies to other pizza chains with big birthday party vibes) to celebrate my nephew’s birthday and all the games were just bullshit trick, chance, and skill games to win tickets (which are now on a tap card that also doubles for tokens). I mean, the latter is easier than physical tokens and tickets, but there were no arcade games to play, the air hockey tables were gone, the carousel was gone, and even skeeball, the most ubiquitous game at joints like this was a single lane in a forgotten area.

I don't know myself, but I've heard restaurant/arcades started skimping on "real" arcade games because they don't like the kind of customer they attract.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Minotaurus Rex posted:

They just shoved Shorts into the recommendations for YouTube videos which is an extremely lovely move of them as shorts are loving the killer combo of modern internet: WACK, BAD FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH and ADDICTIVE. gently caress sake

Also so for some bizarre reason they use a different player (or at least a different instance with a slight different UI) so of you ave a queue set up it just makes everything janky.

Like why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I honestly would just be like "whatever idc" about youtube shorts but there's no volume control, it's just mute or not mute, which is really stupid.