Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The Nora Freeze & Bane episode was absolutely hilarious. Nora’s unhinged attitude along with Bane’s Italian sojourn was top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Harley's been real hit or miss for me this season, but Bane's Italian adventure was absolutely a high point

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah that part was good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Been watching Spectacular Spider-man with my girlfriend (first time for her, third time for me) in preparation of Spider-man 2 (not that move, no not the other movie, definitely not the mysterio movie, the game, the game called Spider-man 2 that comes out this year) and man, that is just the perfect adaptation. I love how it dives into the extended cast so much, the way Peter's social life is so alive and supports him when poo poo goes wrong.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it's real good, one thing that feels notable these days is he has bad luck and hard times but it's not unrelenting Peter Parker misery hour, he still gets to have good stuff happen over the course of the show.

I liked that they actually gave Eddie Brock decent reasons for growing to hate Peter and Spider-Man equally as well. Basically they made a lot of good choices making that show.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One choice I respected a lot in that show was them making Peter actually screw up regarding the Lizard. Connors fired Peter because he sold pictures of the Lizard. There wasn't any Parker Luck, there wasn't any flakiness or lying he needed to do to protect his identity, he just straight up made a selfish or unthinking decision to sensationalize this terrible thing that had happened to Connors.

I find modern Spider-Man, especially in adaptations, can be a bit too goody two shoes. It's hard to reconcile with classic Spider-Man, who had some edge to him. And I don't mean "gets violent towards bad guys who clearly deserve it" but he could be a jerk. He might snap at someone undeservedly or hit them with a low blow.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, season 1 is just excellent at Peter messing up trying to navigate the home finances and the superhero and labor world he's thrusted himself into. He gets himself fired from the internship, but tbh I still side with Peter on that, so many bills were due and entering The Bugle was just a positive thing for him in every level, he at least did the minimum effort of protect Connors' identity. But it's all still Peter essentially having to make a bad choice somewhere to improve a situation elsewhere, the key of the superhero life dilemma. I love that Shocker is one of his most influential figures because of his one line about a man's responsibility.

I really feel Connors and Eddie are kind of just dicks. The former risks so much on the The Lizard research, and the latter, even when he's on 100% good terms with Peter, spends a few scenes putting him down. When Peter suggest the gene cleanser to cure Connors, Eddie starts talking about how that's dumb before Connors' wife injects that it could work, and Eddie likes to bring up how he's the one protecting Peter. When Eddie is laid off he sure takes it out most on Connors' wife, too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I was reading the early comics, and a good example is when Peter goes to college and Gwen and Harry’s introduction. May is currently in the hospital and as a result Peter is distracted and ignoring everyone giving the impression that he is purposely snubbing them. After May is in the clear Peter decides to be social, but none of his fellow students are particularly fond of him. Harry, Flash, and Gwen tell him why they don’t really like him right now, and Peter realizes why, but Peter is also too proud to tell them the reason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, season 1 is just excellent at Peter messing up trying to navigate the home finances and the superhero and labor world he's thrusted himself into. He gets himself fired from the internship, but tbh I still side with Peter on that, so many bills were due and entering The Bugle was just a positive thing for him in every level, he at least did the minimum effort of protect Connors' identity. But it's all still Peter essentially having to make a bad choice somewhere to improve a situation elsewhere, the key of the superhero life dilemma. I love that Shocker is one of his most influential figures because of his one line about a man's responsibility.

I really feel Connors and Eddie are kind of just dicks. The former risks so much on the The Lizard research, and the latter, even when he's on 100% good terms with Peter, spends a few scenes putting him down. When Peter suggest the gene cleanser to cure Connors, Eddie starts talking about how that's dumb before Connors' wife injects that it could work, and Eddie likes to bring up how he's the one protecting Peter. When Eddie is laid off he sure takes it out most on Connors' wife, too.

Connors I don’t think was being a dick beyond being irresponsible with the Lizard stuff. Eddie according to Wiseman had secretly always resented Peter, being jealous that after their parents died Peter had his loving Aunt and Uncle, while Eddie had no one.

Also yes Shocker was great. I like that they used his full power set and he was not treated like a joke.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MorningMoon posted:

Connors and Eddie should be dicks, yeah. Venom to me is not a case of being corrupted by an evil alien but a perfect marriage of two beings who feed off of and reinforce each others' unjustified hatred towards Spider-Man. Brock is not a great guy to begin with.

And Connors, I can look past his origin when he's in a Silver Age comic book but for any updated version of the character I can't see a dude who willingly experiments on himself like that as a well-adjusted person.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Eddie Brock should absolutely always be a dick, him and the Symbiote being united for unjustifiable feelings of hurt towards Peter is what makes them so compelling. On first viewing, when i was a teen, i really thought Eddie was a 'bro' to Peter until Peter indirectly pushed him to despair. But it really clicks how he always had some underhanded tendencies. Hearing that Weissman did in fact set Eddie up as always resenting Peter makes me even more curious about what Eddie and Flash's relationship used to be, Flash sure seemed to chill a lot in the 8 or so months the show takes place where Eddie isn't there to "protect Peter from bullies"

What pushes Connors into being a dick for me is Electro's origin. Connors is definitely not actively trying to hurt others, but his negligence does cause the accident, does almost destroy his family, the immediate double theft of the Symbiote (had Spider-man not been there, it would've been Black Cat, who would've just barely beaten Chameleon to the punch). He's does not have a bad nature, but he is every mistake Peter makes.

Weissman talking venom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_spFUgcW5GI

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 13, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In Classic SpiderMan, Doc Connors becomes one of Pete's go-to allies whenever he needs some chemistry or biological analysis, so I think he should be inherently a good guy even if the hubris from wanting his arm back is a recurring problem (and understandable, we all like having two hands).

Eddie being a tragic figure who was Peter's good buddy and big brother figure doesn't really work so well, because he still has to be a total rear end in a top hat but also a miserable fuckup to make Venom work as a villain (since he's threatening in a whole new way, but ultimately not very effective). I guess you could put it down to the corrupting force of the symbiote? Maybe not every villain needs to be tragic.

The biggest innovation of Spectacular was the whole idea of joining together Doc Ock, Norman Osbourne, and Tombstone to create the overarching plot of them manufacturing most of the new wave of supervillains, and eventually transforming into multiple factions of their own that end up clashing with the other already established crime groups of New York City. It really unfolds beautifully. Rhino and Sandman are small-time thugs that are introduced long before becoming supervillains.

I guess it was also one of the earlier incarnations of "social butterfly" Spiderman, where instead of being a weird loner antisocial nerd who vents his teenage frustrations into crimefighting, Peter Parker has a regular friend group that he has to awkwardly hide everything from. And that seems to be the more common interpretation by now, although I think a lot of core aspects of the character are mired in being an antisocial weirdo. But that's just my weird bias.

Of course, the many, many girls he ends up juggling around are comic-accurate (although in the comic it was never quite as many at the same time), but that actually dovetails better with being an antisocial weirdo, because then it explains more why he keeps awkwardly fumbling on the edge of being in a relationship.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ditko's Spider-Man was more like that but I don't think any Spider-Man has ever been more social than the Peter of the Romita era. Peter was fashion hip and hanging out at the coffee shop with the gang and going dancing and motoring around. Gwen and MJ weren't attracted to some awkward wallflower.

It's wild to think that that era, arguably the most iconic and the one to fully establish Spider-Man's massive and everlasting popularity, is the one we've all collectively decided features a version of Peter we're just not going to do ever again.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MorningMoon posted:

It is without a question the best version of Eddie Brock because you can both see him being the kind of dick that bad guy Venom would be as well as the hints of nobility that could lead him to eventually being a Lethal Protector. Not necessarily tragic, but more nuanced than the usual good guy/bad guy (or antihero/bad guy) dynamic which feels more like the flip of a switch. Hell, in Axis it was literally that.

That show has the best version of a lot of Spider-Man characters. Spider-Gwen is nice and all but she's so distinct from original recipe Gwen Stacy that it feels a bit daft to make the comparison, and the Spectacular version of Gwen is distinctly classic Gwen with just enough adjustments to make her actually interesting and likeable. Also, if Peter had gotten married to this version of MJ only for their relationship to be dissolved in a handrwringy overbooked retcon, I'd be as mad as the people who still won't shut up about it to this day!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Ditko's Spider-Man was more like that but I don't think any Spider-Man has ever been more social than the Peter of the Romita era. Peter was fashion hip and hanging out at the coffee shop with the gang and going dancing and motoring around. Gwen and MJ weren't attracted to some awkward wallflower.

It's hard to overstate just how much Romita revitalized Spidey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

Eddie Brock should absolutely always be a dick, him and the Symbiote being united for unjustifiable feelings of hurt towards Peter is what makes them so compelling. On first viewing, when i was a teen, i really thought Eddie was a 'bro' to Peter until Peter indirectly pushed him to despair. But it really clicks how he always had some underhanded tendencies. Hearing that Weissman did in fact set Eddie up as always resenting Peter makes me even more curious about what Eddie and Flash's relationship used to be, Flash sure seemed to chill a lot in the 8 or so months the show takes place where Eddie isn't there to "protect Peter from bullies"

What pushes Connors into being a dick for me is Electro's origin. Connors is definitely not actively trying to hurt others, but his negligence does cause the accident, does almost destroy his family, the immediate double theft of the Symbiote (had Spider-man not been there, it would've been Black Cat, who would've just barely beaten Chameleon to the punch). He's does not have a bad nature, but he is every mistake Peter makes.

Weissman talking venom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_spFUgcW5GI

That loving sucks and is the first time I am really glad the show got cancelled. Making Eddie sympathetic and Peter the rear end in a top hat was the most interesting part of the show.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Giancarlo Esposito is so great as Lex

or at least this version of Lex

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwWM7pX3bMo

Hell yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

That loving sucks and is the first time I am really glad the show got cancelled. Making Eddie sympathetic and Peter the rear end in a top hat was the most interesting part of the show.

Eddie was still sympathetic, but he was clearly the rear end in a top hat. Like even before Venom he was intimidating people and trying to hurt Peter out of spite.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nearing the end of the spectacular spider-man rewatch, we finished the last venom episode (btw for whatever reason episode 18 of incorrectly put as the season finale on Disney+) and my girlfriend was shocked at how long and destructive that Spidey vs Venom fight in the highschool was. She adored how Venom's webs would start coming out of loving any surface of his body four or six at a time. She also had a ton of fun with the setup of the episode (the previous episode ending with Venom crashing into the Bugle going "PETER PARKER IS SPIDER-MAN >: D")

I almost think it was a mistake to watch this before the Spider-man 2 game. There's no way that Venom can be as interesting, conflicting, and fun as Spectacular's. I *love* Spider-man PS4's story, but with how that game ends and which people know his identity, plus how distant the Bugle, and specially JJJ is to Peter Parker, it just doesn't feel like Venom (who's probably Harry) can have anywhere as many layers to try and destroy Spider-man.

Girlfriend was also sad when i told her that was the last of the Symbiote we'd see on the show, and that Captain Stacey's stinger of going "secret identities help protect, don't they? *stares at Peter*" wouldn't get anywhere close to resolved.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The one misstep of that show was Kraven, though. I didn't really care for how the show lionized him (heh) so it's looking like the game will feature a better version.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ironically, my girlfriend has the exact opposite opinion. She liked him a ton before and after the transformation, and is bummed that he's some tactical hunter guy with an army in the game. We're hopeful that The Lizard being in it probably means Kraven's will become a furry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For me it's how Spider-Man already has many animal villains and so I don't need the guy who is specifically filling the role of the arrogant human treating the natural world as a series of trophies to be won to become yet another animal villain. And a small part of it is coming from being a comics fan where Puma exists and feeling like they shut him out by transforming Kraven.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lobok posted:

The one misstep of that show was Kraven, though. I didn't really care for how the show lionized him (heh) so it's looking like the game will feature a better version.

The best version of Kraven is the hunter guy from Batman Beyond anyway

The era where a barrel chested Russian oligarch is an intimidating archetype was long gone even by the time I was a kid!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

Ironically, my girlfriend has the exact opposite opinion. She liked him a ton before and after the transformation, and is bummed that he's some tactical hunter guy with an army in the game. We're hopeful that The Lizard being in it probably means Kraven's will become a furry.

I figure he's gonna get absolutely beaten to poo poo by you as Peter Parker (or possibly by Peter being watched from Miles perspective once it starts getting brutal) and that's going to be the catalyst for Peter to realise "ah, this suit is perhaps not for me", possibly with an Arkham Scarecrow style internal mind boss battle against the symbiote.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OnimaruXLR posted:

The best version of Kraven is the hunter guy from Batman Beyond anyway

The era where a barrel chested Russian oligarch is an intimidating archetype was long gone even by the time I was a kid!

Before my time too but that's not why I found him cool. He was intimidating because of his power and his knowledge of wrestling and nerve attacks and traps and traditional hunting weaponry. The oligarch stuff was flavour to make him more distasteful and arrogant. This rich prick who treats the world as his plaything.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's the deal with how whenever I look at Spectacular Spiderman on Disney Plus the second seson is just not there?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the deal with how whenever I look at Spectacular Spiderman on Disney Plus the second seson is just not there?

They just list the whole 26 episode run as one season

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What's the deal with how whenever I look at Spectacular Spider-man anywhere the third season is just not there

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't wanna bully the dead, but the level of downgrade from Spectacular Spider-Man to Young Justice is kind of baffling, considering how much of the same talent is involved+the legacy of DC cartoons (at least, the TV ones)

I'm gonna blame Geoff Johns for this somehow

I wonder what Weisman is gonna work on next

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't wanna bully the dead, but the level of downgrade from Spectacular Spider-Man to Young Justice is kind of baffling, considering how much of the same talent is involved+the legacy of DC cartoons (at least, the TV ones)

Nah, Young Justice is pretty much unfiltered Weisman so it's fine to blame him.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

YT is annoying since the first season was pretty good. The time jump between seasons was a...decision.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought the first season was incredible and I'm generally a DCAU-or-bust kinda guy. And I bounced so hard off season 2 I still haven't finished it.

EDIT: And Gargoyles is one of my favorite, like *things*. I love Weisman. But man, YT season 2 is just baffling because it's like a deliberate choice to take everything that made season 1 good and work and then... not. Like deliberately making a bad season.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Young Justice s1 is one of the best superhero shows ever made. Everything afterwards, not so much. s2 has strong points but also a lot of really weak ones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Young Justice s1 is one of the best superhero shows ever made. Everything afterwards, not so much. s2 has strong points but also a lot of really weak ones.

Were Seasons 3 & 4 any better or is it basically just all downhill after the first one?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 26, 2023

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
3 had its moments, but you probably won't enjoy the fact that they did another timeskip.

Season 4 I dropped somewhere in the middle because I wasn't enjoying the story setup (hard focus on 1-2 characters with their supporting cast in 4-episode long storyarcs), and Young Justice is a setup where if your favorite character isn't one of the 8 or so of the main ones, you might as well not watch it. (RIP Static and Jamie fans)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Young Justice Season 4 aka "we ran out of budget so hard that all we could afford to do is pay the voice actors to monologue over still images.

But also we couldn't afford to get them in to rerecord and the monologue went long, so now it's at 105% speed."

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
my favorite part is the Zatanna storyarc where her dad goes over his entire backstory for 90% of the episode

yup, fans of zatara were eating well that day

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

OnimaruXLR posted:

Lately he's been involved with the Gargoyles comics that Dynamite has been publishing, those have been pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

S.D. posted:

my favorite part is the Zatanna storyarc where her dad goes over his entire backstory for 90% of the episode

yup, fans of zatara were eating well that day

All three of them were pumped I'm sure