Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Leperflesh posted:

Just to be clear, you're talking about doing short-term, tax-free investments in your cash emergency fund, not in your Roth IRA, right? Because your Roth IRA is tax-advantaged, there is no taxes on the earnings from the stuff you buy in your IRA.

Correct. To elaborate a bit, I have 0% APR on the card until next February, and I've done the budgeting to ensure I'll have enough to pay it off outright when that rolls around. I plan to spend the next year building savings and then transition into maxing out my Roth contributions as much as possible. My state tax is a flat 4.4% if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Jabarto posted:

I'm new to investing but getting more serious about it because both my fiance and I got into significantly higher paying jobs this year. I have a Roth IRA at Fidelity that I'm tossing small amounts at, but I'm mostly looking at money market funds since we're focused on paying off a modest credit card debt and establishing an emergency fund before anything else.

My main question so far is what kind of math I need to determine when tax exempt funds become worth considering over just sticking with SPAXX. For intance, I just learned that FDLXX is state tax exempt and only yields about 0.05% less, so it seems like a no brainer to switch over. But apparently there are municipal funds that only yield half as much but are totally tax exempt; is it even worth worrying about that at my current (22%) tax bracket?

Since you have state income tax SGOV might be a good place to keep your efund as it is exempt from state taxes since its all US treasuries. Since the yield on SGOV is higher than SPAXX at the moment there isn't much reason to stay in SPAXX right now imo. Once the yield curve returns to normal (who knows when that will be) you can always move back over to SPAXX.

Personally I don't feel municipal bonds are worth it unless you are in a very high federal tax bracket and you just really really need bonds outside of your retirement accounts. If I was going to own bonds I would own them in an IRA or 401k and be done with it. Taxable accounts are better suited to long term capital gains and qualified dividends imo. I wouldn't worry about muni's in the 22% bracket. But that's just me.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 18, 2023

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Antillie posted:

Since you have state income tax SGOV might be a good place to keep your efund as it is exempt from state taxes since its all US treasuries. Since the yield on SGOV is higher than SPAXX at the moment there isn't much reason to stay in SPAXX right now imo. Once the yield curve returns to normal (who knows when that will be) you can always move back over to SPAXX.

Personally I don't feel municipal bonds are worth it unless you are in a very high federal tax bracket and you just really really need bonds outside of your retirement accounts. If I was going to own bonds I would own them in an IRA or 401k and be done with it. Taxable accounts are better suited to long term capital gains and qualified dividends imo. I wouldn't worry about muni's in the 22% bracket. But that's just me.

I've been reading up on SGOV and it looks great, but I've recently learned that it's subject to wash sales, a concept so utterly baffling to me that I'm not sure it's worth the trouble trying to figure it out as opposed to just figuring out how to buy treasuries directly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jabarto posted:

I've been reading up on SGOV and it looks great, but I've recently learned that it's subject to wash sales, a concept so utterly baffling to me that I'm not sure it's worth the trouble trying to figure it out as opposed to just figuring out how to buy treasuries directly.

It's not that hard. You just can't claim any losses on your taxes from selling and rebuying SGOV within 30 days. SGOV has relatively minor intra-month price fluctuations (basically reflecting the projected monthly dividend payment), so you are unlikely to incur significant gains(losses) on sale. And wash sale rules don't prevent you from selling or buying, they just prevent you from using the losses to offset capital gains taxes.

Hypothetically you park money in SGOV. You buy at $100.32. It functions as your emergency fund and your car breaks and you want to buy a new one, so you sell 100 shares at the beginning of the month at $100.12. You lost 20 cents a share, so you have a loss of $20. If you were then gifted a car by grandma, and you re-buy 100 shares of SGOV within 30 days, you can't claim this $20 to offset other capital gains taxes. If you bought another asset class instead, you can use the loss to offset current or future capital gains taxes.

Buying treasuries directly is dead easy through any major brokerage.

edit: fixed order of magnitude error

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 20, 2023

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Jabarto posted:

Wash sale rules just exists to limit tax loss harvesting, which shouldn't apply too much to you. And if it did apply to you the net effect on your taxes would be small.

So in theory you could buy SGOV at $100.60 per share, but then later sell it at like $100 a share (that decrease in share price corresponding to a interest payout you received). That $0.60 difference per share between your buying and selling price would be a capital loss which you could write off from your income to save a little in taxes. Meanwhile the interest you received would be taxed as income.

However if after selling SGOV for the above loss you then bought SGOV back within 30 days you would trigger the wash sale rule, and you would no longer be able to claim the above capital loss for tax reduction purposes.

The amount of tax loss harvesting you would lose out on by triggering the wash sale rule would be minimal, as the difference between SGOV's high and low share price is itself very small. Also you can avoid the wash sale rule entirely by just waiting 30 days after selling SGOV at a loss before buying more of it again.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got an email from Fidelity the other day that while I am contributing >6% to get the full match (75% of 6%, so 4.5%) on my base pay 401k, I'm leaving money on the table by not contributing at least 6% of my AIP/SIP. I didn't know what that was, so I chatted with Fidelity about it.

I told the rep that within my Fidelity account, it says that:

quote:

Your employer matches up to 6% of your eligible compensation.

When you contribute to your plan, your employer matches 75% of the first 6% of your pay.

Your employer match applies to the following contribution elections:
BEFORE-TAX BASE PAY
BEFORE-TAX AIP/SIP
AFTER-TAX BASE PAY
AFTER-TAX AIP/SIP
ROTH BASE PAY
ROTH AIP/SIP

I told the rep that I'm already contributing >6% to my before-tax base pay 401k and asked if I contributed 6% to each of those accounts, whether my employer would match 4.5% on that 6% in each. The rep confirmed that my employer does provide 4.5% for each 6% in every one of those accounts. While I would love that to be true, that sounds crazy to me. I'd absolutely save that much if I was able to for my employer to give me an extra $40,000 per year, but again, that sounds like it can't be right, can it? I'd confirm with more reps before I start opening other accounts, but has anyone ever heard of a plan like that before?

I called Fidelity and the call rep confirmed what the chat rep said, but said to check with my employer's benefit department to confirm. If that's true, I'd be stupid not to contribute at least 6% to each of those to get the match, correct?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
E: nevermind I've confused myself now

E2: I think the employer probably caps their match to 6% total across all of them and the reps were trying to say that the 6% is applicable for each. My employer has a pretax and Roth contribution option and it does not provide me any additional match.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 22, 2023

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You'll still be limited by the total annual contribution you can make in 2023 which is $22,500.

e: with the exception of after-tax which has a higher annual limit of $66,000 combined between all employee and employer contributions, traditional/Roth/after-tax.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 22, 2023

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

E: nevermind I've confused myself now

E2: I think the employer probably caps their match to 6% total across all of them and the reps were trying to say that the 6% is applicable for each. My employer has a pretax and Roth contribution option and it does not provide me any additional match.

This is what I would suspect as well, I can’t imagine they’d pay out that much match, but I’ll try it and see what happens.

spf3million posted:

You'll still be limited by the total annual contribution you can make in 2023 which is $22,500.

e: with the exception of after-tax which has a higher annual limit of $66,000 combined between all employee and employer contributions, traditional/Roth/after-tax.

Yep, that’s my understanding of it too, however, it says once the $22,500 cap, it would go over into a spillover after-tax account.

I think what I’ll try doing is setting it to 6% of my annual bonus (AIP/SIP) into pre-tax, after tax and Roth accounts. Then I’ll keep my pre-tax base pay at 15% and when it hits $22,500, it’ll go into the spillover. I’ll also set 6% to an after tax (which I assume will be the same as the spillover account) and another 6% of base to Roth. If I don’t get the 4.5% on any of them, I’ll scale back and keep it at maxing my 401k and putting my savings into a HYSA as I currently do. If it does provide the match to each account, I’ll keep it set up like that and collect free retirement money!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you should ask your employer/plan administrator, because you maybe don't want a situation where they decide months later that this is a mistake and try to claw back the money?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I think you should ask your employer/plan administrator, because you maybe don't want a situation where they decide months later that this is a mistake and try to claw back the money?

The Fidelity benefits guy suggested calling my benefits dept as well, so I looked up their number. It was the number I had called to speak to fidelity, so I don’t understand. Apparently fidelity handles all of our benefits stuff (401k/savings plan, pension and medical). Either way, I’ll check with them. Annual bonus is only in March, so I’ve got time.

In any case, if they do claw it back, it’s contributions to retirement accounts, I’m not planning on spending it in the next 20 years. Or do you mean that they might withhold extra from my paycheck to account for it instead of taking it directly out of Fidelity?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno what would be legal or what a company might try, really, but it sounds a lot more like an unintentional thing than something your company actually meant to do, and exploiting loopholes to get thousands of dollars for free from your employer can have negative consequences, one way or another.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is easy guys

https://x.com/ramit/status/1705034479197360343?s=20

Best active manager in the business. Easy peasy.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

spwrozek posted:

It is easy guys

Run, don't walk.

On a related but actual serious note, there's this good blog post - https://earlyretirementnow.com/2020/12/09/how-to-beat-the-stock-market/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

interesting episode of rational reminder where Haghani and White discuss portfolio construction based on some academic models of peoples' personal risk tolerance (thus lowering the odds of people panicking and leaving the market):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mlb_iHAugM&t=1s

key quote near the end was where White is saying people should spend more time thinking about how much to invest, as opposed to being obsessed with what to invest in. they recommend generic index funds.

they were also there to discuss their new book which apparently is the current #1 bestseller on amazon in the investment portfolio mgmt subsection:
"The Missing Billionaires: A Guide to Better Financial Decisions"
https://www.amazon.com/Missing-Billionaires-Better-Financial-Decisions/dp/1119747910

if anyone takes a crack at the book I'd be curious to read a goon review of it

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thanks for the book rec, I've added it to my wish list and will try to get my public library to pick up a copy. Will review if I can.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’ve long held the opinion that WHAT to invest in is the easiest part of modern investing. At its simplest, a target date fund. You can get more complicated, but you really, really don’t have to. Most everything past TD fund investing is splitting hairs between “good returns” and “gooder returns”.

The hardest part is having income to invest.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Also difficult: sticking to your investments even when they are doing bad.

This is also a reason why I like broad index funds because it's far easier for me to believe that the market will recover from a slump than an active manager.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cacafuego posted:

I got an email from Fidelity the other day that while I am contributing >6% to get the full match (75% of 6%, so 4.5%) on my base pay 401k, I'm leaving money on the table by not contributing at least 6% of my AIP/SIP. I didn't know what that was, so I chatted with Fidelity about it.

I told the rep that within my Fidelity account, it says that:

quote:

Your employer matches up to 6% of your eligible compensation.

When you contribute to your plan, your employer matches 75% of the first 6% of your pay.

Your employer match applies to the following contribution elections:
BEFORE-TAX BASE PAY
BEFORE-TAX AIP/SIP
AFTER-TAX BASE PAY
AFTER-TAX AIP/SIP
ROTH BASE PAY
ROTH AIP/SIP

I told the rep that I'm already contributing >6% to my before-tax base pay 401k and asked if I contributed 6% to each of those accounts, whether my employer would match 4.5% on that 6% in each. The rep confirmed that my employer does provide 4.5% for each 6% in every one of those accounts. While I would love that to be true, that sounds crazy to me. I'd absolutely save that much if I was able to for my employer to give me an extra $40,000 per year, but again, that sounds like it can't be right, can it? I'd confirm with more reps before I start opening other accounts, but has anyone ever heard of a plan like that before?

I called Fidelity and the call rep confirmed what the chat rep said, but said to check with my employer's benefit department to confirm. If that's true, I'd be stupid not to contribute at least 6% to each of those to get the match, correct?

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days and mine kind of works the same way. Also Fidelity, might not matter.

quote:

Your employer matches up to 6% of your eligible compensation that you elect as Pre-tax, After-tax or Roth contributions.
Then I can select contribution percentages for each of the following:

quote:

PRE-TAX
PRE-TAX BONUS
ROTH
ROTH BONUS
AFTER-TAX
AFTER-TAX BONUS
Our bonus counts as eligible compensation and is paid out as its own paycheck so I would be leaving money on the table by not contributing at least 6% of my bonus to one of the 401k options. I don't believe I get a match on both the ROTH and PRE-TAX were I to choose at least 6% in both categories. The company match always goes into the PRE-TAX bucket after all.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

spf3million posted:

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days and mine kind of works the same way. Also Fidelity, might not matter.

Our bonus counts as eligible compensation and is paid out as its own paycheck so I would be leaving money on the table by not contributing at least 6% of my bonus to one of the 401k options. I don't believe I get a match on both the ROTH and PRE-TAX were I to choose at least 6% in both categories. The company match always goes into the PRE-TAX bucket after all.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what mine looks like. Ok, maybe it’s just pre-tax for everything. I’ll ask our benefits people and see what they say, I definitely don’t want to be accused of trying to take advantage of it inappropriately.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spwrozek posted:

It is easy guys

Consistently missing from claims of beating the S&P500 (or any other benchmark) is the qualifier "...on a risk-adjusted basis."

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Leperflesh posted:

Consistently missing from claims of beating the S&P500 (or any other benchmark) is the qualifier "...on a risk-adjusted basis."

Sure, but that's assuming many investors don't inherently love gambling.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Leperflesh posted:

And also if he's actually doing it. The guy doesn't exactly come across as honest.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

spf3million posted:

Disclaimer: Not providing financial advice.

All those income buckets on your list look separate and it's very normal for plan sponsors to give employees the option to defer different types of income at different rates. For example, sometimes people get bonuses that are paid in December and are 50% percent of their pay. So if I'm making $200,000 and have a $100,000 bonus I might want to elect to defer 15% of my pay and none of my bonus so my contributions are spread out evenly over the course of year and they don't have problems with match. (If you are going to defer near the limit ($ 22,500 this year) you will need to find out of your employer will do a true-up contribution because once you hit that limit you contribs should automatically stop and you will miss on out match. More on that here https://www.nextgen-wealth.com/blog/max-out-401k-employer-match )

So unless you have some special circumstance it's ok to do them all the same.

And finally, almost all employers will match your Roth 401k contributions with pretax match.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's been annoying watching my 401k lose value since I maxed out my contribution a few months ago. It's pretty diversified, but more stocks than bonds, so I guess that's to be expected. Wishing I could have told start-of-year me that I should just spread it throughout the year instead of being paranoid about layoffs, as then this would basically be more of a fire sale on these same stocks. Oh, well. Better luck next year.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Perspective: if you're able to max out your 401k in September, market ups and downs on a monthly timeframe is just noise on your retirement timeline and you'll be fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's been annoying watching my 401k lose value since I maxed out my contribution a few months ago. It's pretty diversified, but more stocks than bonds, so I guess that's to be expected. Wishing I could have told start-of-year me that I should just spread it throughout the year instead of being paranoid about layoffs, as then this would basically be more of a fire sale on these same stocks. Oh, well. Better luck next year.

I maxed out our Roth for the year last year…..less than 2 weeks before Russia invaded Ukraine and everything went super down.

It sucked, I think the same thing, but also end of the day only so much you can do. It’s mostly recovered by this point (I think I haven’t exactly tracked it closely).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DNK posted:

I’ve long held the opinion that WHAT to invest in is the easiest part of modern investing. At its simplest, a target date fund. You can get more complicated, but you really, really don’t have to. Most everything past TD fund investing is splitting hairs between “good returns” and “gooder returns”.

The hardest part is having income to invest.

Whats annoying is 401k plans like the one my rather big employer offers. They have relatively simple options, target date plans plus the standard large cap / small cap / international funds. They also offer index versions of the individual funds, but not of the target date ones. As a result, target date fees are 0.4% and individual index funds are 0.05%. Big spread.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Reminder about Bob the world's worst market timer - https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I'm not cashing out or otherwise touching it, and when I made the decision to be paranoid I had good reasons for it which I will not get into.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I've got $20,000 in I bonds, all with a fixed rate of 0% and purchased between 1 and 5 years ago. This money will eventually be down payment money, with an emphasis on "eventually" - my fiancee and I definitely won't have enough cash accumulated within the next two years, and after that, who knows. (We're comfortable renting beyond our financial planning horizon - we'd just like to own eventually.) I'm trying to decide whether to dump the I bonds and put the money into Treasurys, roll some of them into the current rate, or buy more. (Or I guess just do nothing, but that seems like the worst option - resetting the sale penalty clock in exchange for getting a positive fixed rate on half of my holdings seems worth it.) What's making this difficult for me is not being able to really answer the "when will you need the money?" question - I know what I'd do if I needed it in one year, or two, or twenty, but I'm having difficulty accounting for the variable middle bit of that range. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sell $10,000 and roll that into a new I Bond so you get the fixed interest rate. Use the other $10,000 and get a 6 month treasury.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Sell $10,000 and roll that into a new I Bond so you get the fixed interest rate. Use the other $10,000 and get a 6 month treasury.

I think this is good advice since OP said fiancee. If they were married I would lean towards rolling all $20k into the new fixed rate (assuming here this isnt their entire net worth or something and the 1 year lockup is OK).

If a 6 mo treasury is bought soonish, that would align well with potentially putting that money back into another I bond next year before the rate change in May.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I have about $12k I would like to put aside for reroofing my house, which is an amount that is probably high-end or overestimating the cost for the size and type of roof replacement, providing a little bit of buffer space if it turns out there's a snag that drives the cost upward. I probably don't need a roof for another 5 years, maybe 10 years, but I would like to have the money set aside and keeping up with inflation now so I'm not caught flat-footed by the cost down the line.

What investment vehicle do you think would be appropriate for this kind of saving? It seems like I have to trade-off between higher yield and lower risk of the money being behind a penalty wall when I need to access it. The recent conversation about T-bills made me think this might be a good option, but are there other things to consider?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
If your primary concern is inflation and your time frame is 5-10 years, I Bonds are probably preferable to T bills. The inflation adjusted rate earned by I Bonds is known for their full 30 year term.

T bills are currently earning higher interest than newly issued I Bonds, but as 0-12 month securities, how T Bills will do on a 5-10 year timeframe is unknowable. They are also not inflation adjusted - this doesn't necessarily mean they will earn less than inflation, but they can and frequently have.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
I put my emergency fund amount in I Bonds and plan on just keeping it there for inflation protection.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have my emergency fund in Ally, same with my down payment savings and closing/maintenance cost savings. Those funds may or may not be used within a year or so, but definitely not within the next three months, so they get to grow for now.

Payouts from stock options and RSUs n poo poo go in a Vanguard non-retirement account with a 90:10 stock:bond split, same with my retirement accounts (401k, rollover IRA, Roth). That money’s for when I’m old(-er) and useless(-er), so it goes in the market and doesn’t get touched until like 2050~2055. It better fuckin grow.

Whatever money I’ve budgeted out for the next three months stays in checking because YNAB.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Don’t be like me, put your emergency funds in a HYSA at minimum.

One month of interest at Ally would take ~15 years to match in my traditional savings account.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

drk posted:

If your primary concern is inflation and your time frame is 5-10 years, I Bonds are probably preferable to T bills. The inflation adjusted rate earned by I Bonds is known for their full 30 year term.

T bills are currently earning higher interest than newly issued I Bonds, but as 0-12 month securities, how T Bills will do on a 5-10 year timeframe is unknowable. They are also not inflation adjusted - this doesn't necessarily mean they will earn less than inflation, but they can and frequently have.

Excellent, I appreciate the advice! Are I Bonds subject to a strict lock-out period? I don't want to get stuck with the funds locked up at the time in the future when they are needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not locked but it can take time to access the funds. The big issue is that when you pull the funds before the bond matures you lose the last 3 months of interest.