Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Javier tonight vs Kirby, so the M's are about to tie this series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I wanna preface this with gently caress Josh Hader. His tweets were hurtful and I don't ever want him on the Twins.

But being pro players kinda means respecting this. He's made a determination for his health and/or career longevity to only pitch 1 inning at a time. This isn't new, he's done it for years now. Milwaukee rode him hard in his earliest seasons, and he probably opted for this standard to protect himself. The Padres should have been aware of this fact when they traded for him. He clearly views it as important to his continued success and has set the boundary. Boundaries are only effective when they are maintained.

If it wasn't Hader, but a decent person instead, I hope there wouldn't be any outrage. I personally believe people know their own bodies better than others. The argument here isn't whether the team can force him to pitch (of course they can), it's whether they should. Maybe he should be flexible in a playoff push, but are the Padres really in a playoff push? I think people are kidding themselves if they think that, they aren't even .500 with multiple good teams between them and the last WC spot. To act as if him taking a hard stance over .1 inning has torpedoed the Padres, when he has a 346 ERA+ and been worth 2 WAR, is just backwards.

The other side of the coin is teams control these young relief arms, deploy them aggressively until they burn out, and then many relievers make a relative pitance. They never get paid their worth. Hader said gently caress that, and is being labeled selfish for it. Well, are we in favor of player agency or not?

In conclusion, I hate Josh Hader.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 26, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think back to Gerrit Cole expressing his strong preference not to pitch in relief in Game 7 of the World Series. Game 7 of the World loving Goddamned Series. Because he was about to be a free agent and $300 million could be on the line if he hurt himself.

Which I totally get. I'm all in favor of every professional getting every dime they can out of their time and talents. But poo poo, dude, plunk down a million bucks on an extremely short term insurance policy and get out there and help your team win the drat championship. But no, instead he sat on his rear end/soft tossed a bit while his team had a bullpen meltdown and lost a close game. In Game 7 of the World loving Goddamned Series.

He is of course totally entitled to maximize his income above all else if that's his thing. But at the same time, poo poo, it makes it harder to care so hard about sports when players so openly don't care if they win or lose, so long as they get paid.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What? Cole wanted to pitch relief. He was never used because Hinch wanted him to have a clean inning and by the time they got out of the 7th the Astros were down. He was angry enough that he never got in the game that he wore a hat for Boras's agency instead of his Astros hat for the post game interviews

Unless I'm remembering this totally wrong

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Nobody wants to play anymore

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

What? Cole wanted to pitch relief. He was never used because Hinch wanted him to have a clean inning and by the time they got out of the 7th the Astros were down. He was angry enough that he never got in the game that he wore a hat for Boras's agency instead of his Astros hat for the post game interviews

Unless I'm remembering this totally wrong

Maybe I'm the one remembering it totally wrong but my recollection is that that is the story both sides told to cover their rear end but there was a fuckload of smoke to the effect that Cole told Hinch that he was willing to pitch only if he started a clean inning, not the other way around.

I have a hard time believing Hinch, or indeed any human with multiple functioning brain cells, would have Gerrit Cole begging him to let him pitch and would say "nahhhhh we're good, we're just gonna lose the World Series with Will Harris and Roberto fuckwad Osuna."

edit: I wanted to look it up and make sure I remembered it right before I posted it, but going into the 8th inning it was 3-2 and Hinch sent Osuna back out instead of bringing Cole in to start the 8th. Which, if Cole was actually riding Hinch to let him in the game, :dafuq:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 26, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That is a totally normal thing for managers to prefer with starters coming out of the pen and also lol at an Astros fan still being mad about 2019

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The plan was to have Cole close the game cause the Astros didn't want Osuna on the mound to close the game. All the talk around why Cole did or didn't pitch is dodging that answer.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I dunno, I guess I personally think a WS team should be able to get through relief innings without going to their starters. If that's why someone doesn't like Cole, though, I guess it's fairish. But I think that's also a different context. Fans, the Padres FO, Melvin, they want Hader to do something for the very outside potential at making the postseason. They're actually the selfish ones in this case. Again, this isn't new with Hader. This has been his standard since 2020. It's kinda hosed up that they acquired him knowing this, and then constantly asked him to break it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe I'm the one remembering it totally wrong but my recollection is that that is the story both sides told to cover their rear end but there was a fuckload of smoke to the effect that Cole told Hinch that he was willing to pitch only if he started a clean inning, not the other way around.

Well yea, he's a starter. That makes a lot of sense. Chris Paddack is converting for the playoffs and this was a talking point, not being sure if he could trust himself to come in and be on right away (which is needed with men on). It's a different role and it's a big ask to make such a drastic change in game 7.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

That is a totally normal thing for managers to prefer with starters coming out of the pen and also lol at an Astros fan still being mad about 2019

What exactly was angry about my post?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He might've been talking about me but I am not an Astros fan and in fact as a neutral was rooting for the Nats

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I think you misread his comment a tad bawfuls.

I mean it's disappointing the 2019 Astros didn't win the WS because that was the best team of this era but we also got '22 so :shrug: .

Eric the Mauve posted:

He might've been talking about me but I am not an Astros fan and in fact as a neutral was rooting for the Nats

Yeah I don't think any non Astros fan is gonna be heartbroken if they miss the playoffs. It's natural when a team has been this good for this long (even ignoring the 2017 stuff).

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Intruder posted:

What exactly was angry about my post?

You're out of control

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

edit: I wanted to look it up and make sure I remembered it right before I posted it, but going into the 8th inning it was 3-2 and Hinch sent Osuna back out instead of bringing Cole in to start the 8th. Which, if Cole was actually riding Hinch to let him in the game, :dafuq:

one of the rules they supposedly agreed on was that Cole would only come in with a lead

If that's actually the reason it played out that way, pretty dumb

Milovan Drecun posted:

You're out of control

I get RESULTS, Chief!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In any case, if anyone was ever born to be a New York Yankee it was Gerrit Cole, so happy endings for everyone (except of course the Pirates, who never get happy anything and don't deserve to)

Intruder posted:

one of the rules they supposedly agreed on was that Cole would only come in with a lead

If that's actually the reason it played out that way, pretty dumb

Yeah I remember this being part of it too

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
It's true, I'm very happy Cole is wasting away on the Yankees.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oh whoops, the way Eric was complaining I thought they were an Astros fan my bad

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm already melting down

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Poque posted:

I'm already melting down

I don't even know when I'm NOT melting down tbh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

In any case, if anyone was ever born to be a New York Yankee it was Gerrit Cole, so happy endings for everyone (except of course the Pirates, who never get happy anything and don't deserve to)

They were able to nurture Musgrove into a legit TOR guy just in time for him to leave!

And they got uhhhhh Colin Moran's wonderful beard

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

I'm already melting down

The Cubs rotation: Steele who has looked awful his last few starts, JAMES TAILLON, rusty Marcus Stroman against the greatest offense in the history of baseball while the playoff rivals play minor league teams, feels great

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Milovan Drecun posted:

I wanna preface this with gently caress Josh Hader. His tweets were hurtful and I don't ever want him on the Twins.

But being pro players kinda means respecting this. He's made a determination for his health and/or career longevity to only pitch 1 inning at a time. This isn't new, he's done it for years now. Milwaukee rode him hard in his earliest seasons, and he probably opted for this standard to protect himself. The Padres should have been aware of this fact when they traded for him. He clearly views it as important to his continued success and has set the boundary. Boundaries are only effective when they are maintained.

If it wasn't Hader, but a decent person instead, I hope there wouldn't be any outrage. I personally believe people know their own bodies better than others. The argument here isn't whether the team can force him to pitch (of course they can), it's whether they should. Maybe he should be flexible in a playoff push, but are the Padres really in a playoff push? I think people are kidding themselves if they think that, they aren't even .500 with multiple good teams between them and the last WC spot. To act as if him taking a hard stance over .1 inning has torpedoed the Padres, when he has a 346 ERA+ and been worth 2 WAR, is just backwards.

The other side of the coin is teams control these young relief arms, deploy them aggressively until they burn out, and then many relievers make a relative pitance. They never get paid their worth. Hader said gently caress that, and is being labeled selfish for it. Well, are we in favor of player agency or not?

In conclusion, I hate Josh Hader.

Hader didn't come in to face Harper in the NLCS who ended up hitting a series clinching home run and now it seems pretty clear why. And it's four outs. The Padres aren't asking him to get three inning saves.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cubs rotation: Steele who has looked awful his last few starts, JAMES TAILLON, rusty Marcus Stroman against the greatest offense in the history of baseball while the playoff rivals play minor league teams, feels great

On the bright side the Braves are resting a bunch of their guys down the stretch so maybe we'll be able to steal a game off them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

On the bright side the Braves are resting a bunch of their guys down the stretch so maybe we'll be able to steal a game off them.

Cubs need at least 2-3 of each series because they don't have a tiebreaker.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope the Braves grind the Cubs into the dirt, because at this point that’s how the Marlins get to the postseason

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The Cubsposting will continue until Morel improves

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cool Kyle will save us against MIL

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

LobsterMobster posted:

The Cubsposting will continue until Morel improves

:golfclap:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

live with fruit posted:

Hader didn't come in to face Harper in the NLCS who ended up hitting a series clinching home run and now it seems pretty clear why. And it's four outs. The Padres aren't asking him to get three inning saves.

It seems to be the act of sitting down and having to get back up is the issue, not the number of outs. Also, funny that the one out argument only seems to go one direction. Why is not on the rest of the bullpen for not being able to get that one out? And questionable managerial decisions, bad PAs from hitters, poor baserunning, any of those could be equally to blame for one out being so pivotal. It also assumes Hader would have been effective getting 4 outs. That's pretty presumptive!

You can doubt the validity of his approach, but clearly Hader feels that it matters. And yea, I personally think he probably should have made himself available then, but that's a different situation then last night. That said, the Padres acquired him knowing he wasn't going to break it, circumstances be damned. Until there is an iota of evidence to the contrary (like he said he would, but then didn't) this wasn't a mystery. This is who he's been. Put the blame where it belongs, with the FO.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 26, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/Every6thDay/status/1706705926370283938

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Gone already

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The problem, you see, is that Harder is an rear end in a top hat about it. People are taking this as a "Were talkin bout PRACTICE" thing. Like, even if it makes sense from any angle, it's being read as lovely because it's being delivered in a lovely way.

Which is why Barry Bonds isn't in the Hall of Fame and David Ortiz is.

e: Also gently caress Hader.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Are they? They still haven't secured a guaranteed home field advantage for either a CS vs the Dodgers or a WS vs the Orioles or Rays. Would have thought they'd keep their foot on the gas until then.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Giving your good players some time to rest and recuperate from the half dozen minor injuries every ballplayer is carrying after 150 games is probably more +EV to your chance of winning the NLCS than an extra home game is. Not least because you have to actually get to the NLCS first.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They'll get several off days thanks to the bye though and you don't want them to take too much time off and lose their rhythm (or so the old thinking goes)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sydin posted:

Are they? They still haven't secured a guaranteed home field advantage for either a CS vs the Dodgers or a WS vs the Orioles or Rays. Would have thought they'd keep their foot on the gas until then.

I think they have to win 3 out of the last 6 to tie the max the Dodgers or Orioles can win and Atlanta has the season series over both

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

They'll get several off days thanks to the bye though and you don't want them to take too much time off and lose their rhythm (or so the old thinking goes)

Yeah. Old thinking which has never checked out when anyone has done a study on it, in any sport.

In baseball though the playoffs are pretty much random no matter what you do, so whatever. Whichever team happens to have fewer pitchers show up with nothing wins.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Paper Tiger posted:

Gone already

See post below

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/Every6thDay/status/1706706818226114947

Now it shows, so I don't know wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t imagine hitting is more complicated than “see ball, hit ball” so I’m with Joc on this one