Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Honestly, I don't know why a General getting murked is such a big deal. There's always someone to replace them so that orders are passed down to missile a school or hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tai posted:

Honestly, I don't know why a General getting murked is such a big deal. There's always someone to replace them so that orders are passed down to missile a school or hospital.

He was the best mean-mugger in the armed forces.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rad Russian posted:

There's a tourist place, like a 1.5-hour ride from Moscow. Not even that hard to get to, they send a limo to your hotel in Moscow to pick you up since it used to be a popular thing for tourists. Pre-war, you could rent relatively new tanks there (and shoot them if you wanted, although it was several hundred bucks per shell or so). It would be hilarious if all they had left now was a single T-55 as even the overused stripped tourist rentals they had before (T-62, T-80, and T-90) got sent to the front.

Uniform you get on site for the photo opp. You can also take photos with various guns there, so he might post those too.

It's similar to the Vegas places that do this, except with no safety precautions and no fucks given when letting drunk dudes drive a tank and fire shells and machine guns in it.

There were also places where you could mess around with MiGs and take them for a spin (after taking an intro class), however no idea what happened to those now.
When Lance Bass of NSYNC was training to be a cosmonaut as a space tourist and fly on the Soyuz up to the ISS (yes that almost happened) he flew a MiG. After drinking vodka with his cosmonaut trainers. Who were also drinking vodka. He had no flight training before that day.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Vampire Panties posted:

Quake 1 with OpenGL on a 3dfx card was a loving revelation

but Quake 2 is the better game in every way and I'll die on this hill :colbert:
Ahh, the day I installed a Voodoo II... and hosed up my driver settings and had to flatten and reinstall everything. Ahh, those were the days.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Keeping on theme of video game chat:

https://www.engadget.com/cd-projekt-red-apologizes-for-anti-russia-references-in-cyberpunk-2077-update-092347196.html

quote:

Cyberpunk 2077's developer has apologized for dialog and graffiti inserted in the Ukrainian version of the 2.0 update that's critical of Russia's invasion of the country, PC Gamer has reported. CD Projekt Red said it had nothing to do with the changes and promised to remove them.

"The Ukrainian localization of Cyberpunk 2077 contains several remarks that could offend some Russian players," the studio said in a (Google translated) statement. "These remarks were not written by CD Projekt Red employees and do not represent our views. We are working to fix them and replace them in the next update. We apologize for this situation and are taking steps to ensure it does not happen again."

Oh no, Cyberpunk was too much of a dystopia for Russian players. :cry:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

weg posted:

https://www.engadget.com/cd-projekt-red-apologizes-for-anti-russia-references-in-cyberpunk-2077-update-092347196.html

lol they're getting mad over this

quote:

There also appears to be brand new graffiti in the game that references Russia's occupation of Crimea in 2014. "The graffiti represents the outlines of Crimea, the peninsula that was illegally annexed from Ukraine by russia in 2014," Tarasov told me. "Juxtaposed are the Ukrainian coat of arms and taraq tamga (the symbol of Crimean Tatars)." The suggestion is that in Cyberpunk 2077’s world, Crimea is part of Ukraine.

one of Cyberpunk 2077's Ukrainian dialogue line alters "We're loving through" to a Ukrainian phrase that roughly means "Go gently caress yourself in the same direction as the ship did".

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg posted:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Flying a MIG has been on my bucket list since the early 2000's when I read an article in some "gentleman's magazine" where they flew a a MIG 25 (I think) really far up and they could see the black of space above them. I don't remember if they flew it themselves, or if they were passangers but I remember them saying it cost $18k.

I think you can still (or could before covid) catch rides in old fighter jets in Czechia.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

lol they're getting mad over this

quote:

one of Cyberpunk 2077's Ukrainian dialogue line alters "We're loving through" to a Ukrainian phrase that roughly means "Go gently caress yourself in the same direction as the ship did".

:pusheen:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Tai posted:

because generals are treated like minor royals, no matter which country youre from

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Hats off to those localizers. Hopefully they can get work at a company that isn't so cowardly.

I guess I could be ok with CDPR removing the edits if they issued a statement to something of the effect of, "While we denounce Russia's invasion of Ukraine and wholeheartedly agree that Crimea is Ukraine, altering our creative vision without permission was not appropriate."

Buuuuut we all know that money talks, apparently even the rapidly devaluing Ruble.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Alternate meme, "step shadow, help me I'm stuck in this dry dock. Step shadow, what are you doing?!"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Huge "Barbie had a dashed line in it" vibes from those Russian crybabies

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ukraine War: Weekend at Sokolovs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

weg posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CannonFodder posted:

When Lance Bass of NSYNC was training to be a cosmonaut as a space tourist and fly on the Soyuz up to the ISS (yes that almost happened) he flew a MiG. After drinking vodka with his cosmonaut trainers. Who were also drinking vodka. He had no flight training before that day.

I liked how he appreciated how goofy his space flight was and parodied it on Andy Daly’s Review. Daly’s character takes his father in law played by Fred Willard on space tourist flight to try to bond & Bass is also on board. The crew neglects to strap down Willard so he is killed instantly & his body floats around during the flight, but Bass is still obligated to read ads for his sponsor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmkiK2g_PM

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 26, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked how he appreciated how goofy his space flight was and parodied it on Andy Daly’s Review. Daly’s character takes his father in law played by Fred Willard on space tourist flight to try to bond & Bass is also on board. The crew neglects to strap down Willard so he is killed instantly & his body floats around during the flight, but Bass is still obligated to read ads for his sponsor.

Tbf noted dork Richard Garriott had flown to space successfully on a Soyuz capsule around that same time. It wasn't some insane death wish that Lance Bass created whole cloth.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Flyinglemur posted:

Alternate meme, "step shadow, help me I'm stuck in this dry dock. Step shadow, what are you doing?!"

:discourse:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

weg posted:

There is this tendency with cyberpunk (genre as a whole, not just the IP by that name), for the people around it to create the most sterile neo-lib enviroment possible where even things like "trans women are women, trans men are men" gets you banned from a shadowrun server by a guy with a googly eyed catgirl avatar for "divisive politics", but fudd-chuds who talk about setting burglars on fire with homeloaded incendiary ammo in real life are tolerated under "you don't have to like it, but you must respect their view".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
A lot of "Cyberpunk" misses the whole punk part. It's just Cyber.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ronwayne posted:

There is this tendency with cyberpunk (genre as a whole, not just the IP by that name), for the people around it to create the most sterile neo-lib enviroment possible where even things like "trans women are women, trans men are men" gets you banned from a shadowrun server by a guy with a googly eyed catgirl avatar for "divisive politics", but fudd-chuds who talk about setting burglars on fire with homeloaded incendiary ammo in real life are tolerated under "you don't have to like it, but you must respect their view".
You’d think the Polish company would be like “lol gently caress off” but I guess Johnny was right!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Antigravitas posted:

A lot of "Cyberpunk" misses the whole punk part. It's just Cyber.

Way too many people who are comfortable middle class or middle class presenting think they'd be one of the ones that claws their way to the top, become cyber-god and cyberpunk is a rags-to-riches story. I mean i guess it is, in a Scarface way.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

fish and chips and dip posted:

Flying a MIG has been on my bucket list since the early 2000's when I read an article in some "gentleman's magazine" where they flew a a MIG 25 (I think) really far up and they could see the black of space above them. I don't remember if they flew it themselves, or if they were passangers but I remember them saying it cost $18k.

I think you can still (or could before covid) catch rides in old fighter jets in Czechia.

$20-25K USD pre-war, depending on MiG model and if you were doing just yourself or with a trained copilot. It was a thing local rich kids would do to post on Instagram.

With money in Russia (and even as a dirty NATO tourist) you could have access to any military hardware you wanted short of nuclear weapons. These were either run by a local mafia business that bribed some general to get the hardware, or the local army base general did this himself as a side hustle. The more east from Moscow you went, the more loose the rules got with what you can play with.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 26, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pictured: a good cyberpunk game.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RDM posted:

Half the Russian players in the NHL would only support a generic War Bad statement if it blamed Ukraine for the war.

I really hate the victim blaming.

So what if Ukraine is totally Nazis from the cradle to the grave. So you invade them and start murdering people under the aegis of what?

This is coming from an American who witnessed the horrible and pointless wars against Iraq (twice!) and Afghanistan to find one terrorist.

Putin licked GWB's anus once for a dare.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So what if Ukraine is totally Nazis from the cradle to the grave. So you invade them and start murdering people under the aegis of what?

In Russia, the spin is that the Nazi ethnic Ukrainians were not simply existing, they began genociding ethnic Russians inside Ukraine for daring to speak Russian and for opposing the gay agenda of the West. They're at war to "save our people".

An average Russian war supporter is not an imperialism supporter. It's a person who watches propaganda TV news and believes that Russian children were being systematically rounded up into Nazi re-education camps where they were forced to learn Ukrainian, worship Hitler, and change their gender. That storyline makes it much easier to get support for the war vs "we want land and buffer zone".

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 26, 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CannonFodder posted:

Ahh, the day I installed a Voodoo II... and hosed up my driver settings and had to flatten and reinstall everything. Ahh, those were the days.

I clocked my Voodoo II as worse than a Monster 3dfx and mailed it to the manufacturer for a straight up Monster card. It was a daughter card thing and I got to keep the mother as a much better card than my internal graphics.

They were super awesome about it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Antigravitas posted:

Not gonna disagree there.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

I really hope that's not Shadowrun Returns, cause buddy...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a p good lp too

dragonfall is much better, and hong kong better than that. they wrote a whole engine and actually got value out of it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Prettz posted:

I really hope that's not Shadowrun Returns, cause buddy...

Dragonfall, set in an anarchist Kiez in Berlin. His companion quest has you punch Nazis.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Antigravitas posted:

Dragonfall, set in an anarchist Kiez in Berlin. His companion quest has you punch Nazis.

Incredibly good CRPG that has the added benefit of not being too long.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Antigravitas posted:

Written by the original creator of the game franchise, it should be noted.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wait a second, thats not eye divine cybermancy??

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Ronwayne posted:

I don't want to keep this cyberpunk derail going on too long, but I agree with your assessment. I also feel that that tankies and neo-fascists are the same or at least a similar type of person. "Oh wouldn't it be cool to be a part of such a strong a powerful organization, ruling over creation with absolute power and authority". They seem to see themselves as part of the elite ruling class in this situation, not the huge majority or losers being crushed under its boot either directly or indirectly. People that put stormtrooper helmet stickers on their pickups are one example of this.

The authoritarians are bad you dumbfucks, cool space future or not! The folks that look to the USSR as a misunderstood workers utopia are just the same morons who think Vader is a badass and not a villain, only they are into history and not science fiction.

I think the scary thing about cyberpunk fiction is that we are seeing the worst parts of it come true. The governments that haven't failed are becoming increasingly undemocratic and corporate control and business interests are paramount to human rights.

Unfortunately the lesson of cyberpunk is more applicable than ever to our world: You can't save the world, you can only try to save yourself.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

weg posted:

Hats off to those localizers. Hopefully they can get work at a company that isn't so cowardly.

I guess I could be ok with CDPR removing the edits if they issued a statement to something of the effect of, "While we denounce Russia's invasion of Ukraine and wholeheartedly agree that Crimea is Ukraine, altering our creative vision without permission was not appropriate."

Buuuuut we all know that money talks, apparently even the rapidly devaluing Ruble.

Eh, IIRC, they made statements when the war started, donated some money to humanitarian organization and stopped selling their titles in Russia and Belarus.

I am somewhat surprised they apologized for offending them, "altering our creative vision without permission was not appropriate" would be probably better choice of words, unless there are some more offensive remarks than what was quoted here, article mentions "derogatory terms for Russians"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I really hate the victim blaming.

This is coming from an American who witnessed the horrible and pointless wars against Iraq (twice!) and Afghanistan to find one terrorist.

Putin licked GWB's anus once for a dare.

It wasn't a dare, Putin was told "Bush rides horses" and something got lost in translation

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

:five:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tai posted:

Experienced leaders are not fungible, assuming this guy was doing something and wasn’t just a nepo hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Experienced leaders are not fungible, assuming this guy was doing something and wasn’t just a nepo hire.

It really doesn't matter at this point beyond experience, Putin has had 20 years to replace everyone competent with loyalty which overlooks things like "do they have any idea how to do their job".

And the ones taking aren't better either because competency is the enemy of the dictatorship.