Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"pedestrian versus car" makes it pretty clear they think it was a meeting of equals. lol

It is a mechanical description for the initial response. There are also vehicle vs vehicle, vehicle vs pole, etc similar to "fully involved structure fire" versus "vehicle fire" because you want the appropriate responders sent with the appropriate equipment

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Here's an appropriate mechanical description: "A driver attempted to kill a man with his car today"

e: also I don't think first responders are waiting to read the news reports to figure out what to bring to the crash scene but I may be wrong

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Here's an appropriate mechanical description: "A driver attempted to kill a man with his car today"

That would be appropriate for a press release correct, but the description from the press release is from the radio call to responders where your verbiage would be counter productive and unwieldy

Apr 7, 2003

hanging out with the other firemen in the station house until the six o'clock news so I can figure out what to bring to that crash scene from this morning

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

hanging out with the other firemen in the station house until the six o'clock news so I can figure out what to bring to that crash scene from this morning

Disingenuous Manlet or Illiterate Clown? Tonight at 11:00

Apr 7, 2003

There's no reason for the 6 o'clock news to be publishing mechanical information to help first responders, hth

it's disassociation of fault, pure and simple

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

There's no reason for the 6 o'clock news to be publishing mechanical information to help first responders, hth

it's disassociation of fault, pure and simple

The article is quoting the initial call to responders lol how is this hard to understand

Apr 7, 2003

Because their job is to do journalism, not to republish sanitized accounts from the police

Publishing that instead of what happened is a choice. how is this so hard to understand

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

they did publish what happened

quote:

Pittsburgh man hit neighbor with car after argument, police say

A Pittsburgh man was arrested Monday for hitting his neighbor with his car after an argument.

Kevin Garth, 53, is facing a list of charges, including aggravated assault by vehicle, accidents involving death or personal injury, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, failing to stop and render aid and harassment.

Officers responded to the 4300 block of Bristol Street Monday afternoon for a vehicle versus pedestrian accident.

They spoke with the victim, who said Garth ran him over with his vehicle twice after an argument over a woman.

Apr 7, 2003

The 'pedestrian versus car' poo poo is still garbage that summarizes this as just another accident

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
before i have an opinion on this i need to know if either the driver or pedestrian were being sexist

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
He aimed the car at his legs to avoid fatally injuring the guy who assaulted his car

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
he could have simply jumped, spun around, allowed himself to break the windshield (possibly by directed karate chop or heel kick), and then landed on top of the driver like Brock Samson

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The 'pedestrian versus car' poo poo is still garbage that summarizes this as just another accident

How should it be reported to first responders? How would you improve upon this?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

A driver can never be held responsible for anything. Any collisions are the fault of the vehicle.
Well, in this case, the brown paper bag test might have some sway.

Apr 7, 2003

500excf type r posted:

How should it be reported to first responders? How would you improve upon this?

I wasn't aware that WPXI was a primary source for first responders

It's an attempted homicide story and introducing it as a "car versus pedestrian accident" is poo poo framing, there's zero reason for that line to be in a report to the general public unless you're deliberately framing it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
we need to stop trying to fix the symptoms and look into the root cause of this incident: the argument about a woman

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if i were reporting it to first responders i would probably say "a man was hit with a car by his neighbor" but they already said that in the first line and the article has to fit a minimum word count

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I wasn't aware that WPXI was a primary source for first responders

It's an attempted homicide story and introducing it as a "car versus pedestrian accident" is poo poo framing, there's zero reason for that line to be in a report to the general public unless you're deliberately framing it.

The article is very clear on what happened. The one line you take umbrage with is quoting the call that went out over the air to responders.

Apr 7, 2003

What's accidental about running someone over with your car twice? sounds pretty deliberate to me

automobile discharges; bystander becomes seriously injured

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

What's accidental about running someone over with your car twice? sounds pretty deliberate to me

automobile discharges; bystander becomes seriously injured

starting to go with option C, disingenuous illiterate manlet

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
make out already

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

we need to stop trying to fix the symptoms and look into the root cause of this incident: the argument about a woman

hearing reports she was a fox. a babe. a robo-babe.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
god shut up

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Motorists voice concerns about reconfigured traffic patterns near Pittsburgh's Fern Hollow Bridge

quote:

Aviva Lubowsky, said she lives about two blocks away from the intersection of South Dallas and Beechwood. She said she thinks there’s good and bad in the recent changes.

“I think it’s a real mixed bag,” she said. “There’s no doubt in my mind it’s better for pedestrians and bikers. I have walked and biked that area since the changes have been made, and I do feel safer and there’s more access, and that’s great. But the thing I do most there is drive, and it’s not better for drivers.”

Car brain is a hell of a condition. Sure it might be safer when I'm walking around but who the hell has time for that!?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Have you guys seen the New Toyota Tacomas!

The loving looking like Gamer-Chairs but without the black and red color scheme.

Whatever status car ownership had is being eroded to edge lord ego poo poo.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Sep 26, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Have you guys seen the New Toyota Tacomas!

The loving looking like Gamer-Chairs but without the black and red color scheme.

Whatever stats car ownership had is being eroded to edge lord ego poo poo.

you may not like it but this is what peak truk looks like. tactical everyday carry in commuter form

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

toyotas been trading off their reputation for building the best [REDACTED] truck but they can't say that out loud. they can make the trucks look more like nerf guns tho. buy toyota, you can start your own miliitia!

I like how they embraced the ugly rear end LED light bar people have been strapping to their trucks

A MIRACLE has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Sep 26, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

toyotas been trading off their reputation for building the best [REDACTED] truck but they can't say that out loud. they can make the trucks look more like nerf guns tho. buy toyota, you can start your own miliitia!

I like how they embraced the ugly rear end LED light bar people have been strapping to their trucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_XwoiyDrA8

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

A MIRACLE posted:

I wonder if modern NA-market Toyota trucks can even compete with their counterparts in the [REDACTED] target demographic

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Ben Goldfarb wrote a new book, https://wwnorton.com/books/9781324005896

quote:

An eye-opening account of the global ecological transformations wrought by roads, from the award-winning author of Eager.
Some 40 million miles of roadways encircle the earth, yet we tend to regard them only as infrastructure for human convenience. While roads are so ubiquitous they’re practically invisible to us, wild animals experience them as entirely alien forces of death and disruption.

Hope it is as good as Eager, which I would recommend

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Greg12 posted:

gently caress england

terfy plague island

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sorry, I've only read the 2003 children's book, Eager.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

apatite posted:

i run this ranch road once a week, and there were so many smashed gopher snakes yesterday. just trying to warm up with the weakening autumn sun :(

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

boomers love running over snakes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

apatite posted:

Personally and professionally I should probably read this, thanks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Sharps posted:

boomers love running over snakes

Also turtles, for some loving reason

:guillotine:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Have any of y'all shared this delightful video yet?
https://x.com/abughazalehkat/status/1706777915516715084?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I saw a lot of people shooting up… they are cops, and they are shooting up our communities.