Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I watched the first episode of Netflix’s One Piece adaptation, and frankly I’m shocked by how strong the characters came across relative to the first episode of Wheel of Time. It makes me wonder if WoT’s writing crew is the standout for being below expectations, or if One Piece’s writing crew knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

jordan is noted as having imagined them with a southern drawl in their accent. something more american-ish compared to a lot of the other accents. that, for sure, was a detail we know.

i think the show is mostly making a point to depict a variety of people in all of the nations/societies purely because having literally everyone who lives somewhere look basically the same is kind of insanely weird if you're trying to make a world seem vaguely coherent and even beyond that the books tend to have more variety among cultures listed than some folks like to remember offhand. there's a definite vibe with the seanchan that they're Different in a weird variety of ways and i'm 100% certain the show will go into why this is the case, because they are absolutely answers to that.

What I really like about the multi-ethnic casting for all the mainland folks is that it helps reinforce the idea that this current era of civilization really is the surviving refuse of the last one that Lews Therin accidentally skullfucked into oblivion. It was this great and powerful cosmopolitan society that just had a hail storm of sledgehammers taken to it one evening out of loving nowhere, so of course all the surviving pieces would intermingle and intersect in unexpected ways as it tried to slowly put itself back together over the next few thousand years.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

One Piece Live action introduces 3 main characters in episode 1, WoT introduces 7

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, they are not all white hick bastards, but most of them do have the unmistakable southern drawl that informs a lot about them being all slaver bastards.

And them being slaver bastards is unambiguously bad.

Jordan's views as presented in his work are complicated to neatly sum up in a lot of ways, particularly without spoilers. There's a lot that's problematic: among other things, the series' view of gender can be most charitably described as "Well-meaning but aged poorly" in a very 1990s way. There's a lot of stuff that he shows unfavorably without being sufficiently clear enough about it to be sure it's not fetish or something. He comes off as a monarchist, even. But it being wrong to take someone's agency a strong and recurring theme, even when it's muddied by things like literal prophecy being inescapable. So the slavers being hateable is right in keeping with the books so far. Not just Egwene as damane but also what we're seeing with Loial and Ingtar's slavery showing that it's not just magic collars for magic people: it's also the very mundane evil of real-world slavery.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've always found the Seanchan very compelling as villains because they're utterly horrific, but in a mundane human sort of way where you can see where their society came from and why it is the way it is. Which personally speaks to me a lot more than over the top moustache twirling villains.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

One Piece Live action introduces 3 main characters in episode 1, WoT introduces 7

Also it's an anime, it's not like they have depth.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

For what it's worth in the first season the various ethnicities felt kinda forced, but something clicked for me personally in season 2. I think some of Alanna's scenes and showing different regions helped?

Anyways, I want an Wheel of Time RPG videogame playthrough where I pummel the Seance to the ground as evil Egwene as an origin/player character.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dessel posted:

Anyways, I want an Wheel of Time RPG videogame playthrough where I pummel the Seance to the ground as evil Egwene as an origin/player character.

Best we can do is a d20 based RPG book (where you can pummel the seanchan to the ground)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Also it's an anime, it's not like they have depth.

Yeah, One Piece is a wacky over the top comedy show that takes place in a hyperbolic fun house world, and Luffy and co.'s personalities are kind of designed so that you know everything you need to know about them barring their inevitable tragic backstory motivations by the time they've said like three sentences. It's kind of hard to gently caress something like that up unless you're like the folks who made Cowboy Bebop or something and you don't even understand what characterization is, let alone how to do it.

Again, I'm watching the show on and off with a friend and he was able to pick up exactly who was who in Wheel of Time and what their core personality traits were by like the end of episode 2, so it's not like this show is dull or not able to hold peoples' interests or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I forgot until just now, but I played The Wheel Of Time video game when I was a kid. Did anyone else play this? It's been a long time, but I remember the way they do the magic / trap system had a surprising amount of depth to it, enough to support an entire level where you're just navigating your way past obstacles, and the Ways were genuinely terrifying. Completely soundless, pitch black, pieces of the floor wpuldnjust randomly fall away when you weren't looking. Very very cool.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's been some speedruns of it at games done quick, in fact!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dessel posted:

For what it's worth in the first season the various ethnicities felt kinda forced,
i'm not really sure what this means, but i thought the way they casually allowed the actor's ethnicity to influence the characters they play was one of the standout decisions they made

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 26, 2023

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, in the books the Seanchan are all white hicks with literal Texan accents. So it was literally Robert Jordan (a South Carolinian for his whole life) sticking double middle fingers up to the South going "gently caress these godawful racist slaver bastards" behind the mask of some kooky fantasy world he made up.

I totally missed that they were supposed to have southern/Texan accents from reading the books, but Rosamund Pike really leans into it in the audiobooks. Her accent almost made me switch back to the original narrators it’s so bad, I’m only going to stick with her because I have enjoyed it otherwise and I’m on the last book she has read so far.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

loudog999 posted:

I totally missed that they were supposed to have southern/Texan accents from reading the books, but Rosamund Pike really leans into it in the audiobooks. Her accent almost made me switch back to the original narrators it’s so bad, I’m only going to stick with her because I have enjoyed it otherwise and I’m on the last book she has read so far.

I liked Pike's Eye, but for later books I don't see how she's going to top Kramer and Reading. The main reason she beats them out early is they were still finding their stride (and the audio mix on Eye is just awful).

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Dessel posted:

I don't know how to feel about the fact that the two places with absolutely heinous depictions of slavery in recent media I've watched both share Egyptian and Persian motifs heavily.
I believe this is also a show thing, but I may be wrong. I remember people describing the book version of their dress and such as more Roman. Especially armor the soldiers wore.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Flowing Thot posted:

I believe this is also a show thing, but I may be wrong. I remember people describing the book version of their dress and such as more Roman. Especially armor the soldiers wore.

Book seanchan armor was described as a mix between what you'd see in Japan and China for the most part, while casual dress was all over the place.

And also weird bug helmets that I'm glad they didn't replicate really lol

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

None of the cultures maps 1:1 onto any historical group, that’s deliberate.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like the Seanchan would make more thematic sense if instead of a pyramid litter they were carted about by slaves carrying a Ford F-350.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dessel posted:

edit 2: I more felt the whitecloaks were some sort of subversion of the "knight in a shining armor" trope, but I guess KKK works lmao.

Funny thing about the KKK and the branding they chose for themselves,

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly don't see how they finish the 2nd book this season with only 2 episodes to go. The only way is if the next two episodes are like 90 minutes long.

This season has been really loving good though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e: I'm dumb

Rarity fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 26, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not that this is the no spoiler thread or anything

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grundulum posted:

I watched the first episode of Netflix’s One Piece adaptation, and frankly I’m shocked by how strong the characters came across relative to the first episode of Wheel of Time. It makes me wonder if WoT’s writing crew is the standout for being below expectations, or if One Piece’s writing crew knocked it out of the park.

One Piece definitely feels like a more unadulterated and "pure", for lack of a better word, expression of a creator's vision than WoT, true. It also is significantly less complicated than WoT. But then again, there really does seem identifiable directorial flourishes missing from WoT, which is very much a a stand and shoot and move on type production.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yeah what are you doing Rarity lol

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dessel posted:

edit 2: I more felt the whitecloaks were some sort of subversion of the "knight in a shining armor" trope, but I guess KKK works lmao.

I grew up in Klan country. As in, my local sheriff was openly Klan and so were most of his deputies. The Whitecloaks have definite Klan vibes. Particularly with how they spread fear and sow discord in communities to root out "undesirables" and how they work just within the law when they can so they can harass without consequence, but play the victim if anyone pushes back against them.

The Klan took much its symbolism and pageantry from "knights in shining armor", particularly Templars and Crusaders. They often refer to themselves as Knights, and the chapter where I lived also used "page" and "squire" for lower members.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You grew up in Indiana or Idaho? Crazy to think that poo poo is till in the open in the age of social media.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Data Graham posted:

gently caress I got my threads confused sorry :(

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Shageletic posted:

One Piece definitely feels like a more unadulterated and "pure", for lack of a better word, expression of a creator's vision than WoT, true. It also is significantly less complicated than WoT. But then again, there really does seem identifiable directorial flourishes missing from WoT, which is very much a a stand and shoot and move on type production.
also, Oda is still alive and heavily involved in one piece live action

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

You grew up in Indiana or Idaho? Crazy to think that poo poo is till in the open in the age of social media.

Rural NW Georgia. My town actively redlined until like 1990 when it had to clean up a bit to attract families working in Atlanta to move in and get that sweet real estate money.

Their current rep is Marjorie Taylor Green.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just don't see how they conclude this season with how the book ended.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe everyone can just shut up about the books and WAFO?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, I guess people are probably predisposed to think "oh the bad guy who says multiple times he's called the father of lies isn't telling the truth about his goals" to be fair, lol.

But still, when things play out exactly how he says he wants, so far, you gotta put some credence to his words.

I think it's pretty straightforward overall- The bad guys are 3000 years old with all the knowledge, and the good guys are literally country bumpkins and some wizards working from fragments of fragments of knowledge. The bad guys are gonna be in the driver's seat initially for sure, and we're just waiting to see how the good guys are gonna throw a wrench in their plans.

We're already seeing hints of how the good guys have a chance- the folks on the side of the dark one are selfish assholes and don't hesitate to gently caress each other over, like Liandrin did to Suroth by slicing the girl's bindings before taking back off in to the ways. Or Lanfear saying "hey, I know you were working for Ishy, but now you're mine, I've got my own deal going."

The thing is you can frame your story around the perspective of the "bad guys", Game of Thrones did that to a big extent (the "bad" guys were certainly the forces that progressed the story) but that requires a certain writing style, ie the audience needs to be invested in what the bad guys are doing. That doesn't mean you necessarily need to like them but they need to be explored, you need to understand their motivations, what is at stake for them, what are their struggles/hurdles etc.
That means you have to reveal A LOT about them and that can conflict with the particular kind of "bad guys" WoT seems to have because to me it seems like the mystery around them is required for other parts of the story to work and that the bad guys in this story aren't meant to be avatars of the audience through which we can experience the story.

If we look at the screen time committed to our "good" guys compared to our "bad" guys then it's obvious that the good ones still dominate the audience's attention. We do finally get at least a few small(!) scenes between the "bad" guys but they are still very limited and barely enough to keep the audience somewhat updated (but not invested I'd argue) and the motivation for any scenes with the bad guys still mostly serves to inform us about how they or their actions relate to the good guys so they feel very "functional" but lack more depth.
This whole "evil alliance" is for example very vague from my point of view as non-book reader. It's something that was dropped on us this season but it really isn't well explored nor do the relationships on that side make me care in any way (and that requires more than generic bad guy infighting).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LinkesAuge posted:

(but not invested I'd argue)

Every non-reader reaction person (besides this post) I follow is very much interested in both Ishy and Lanfear.

That is, of course, a limited sample size. But I haven't seen anything anywhere to suggest that people just aren't invested in them.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I feel like the Seanchan would make more thematic sense if instead of a pyramid litter they were carted about by slaves carrying a Ford F-350.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I will defend Marcus Rutherford by pointing to his banter with Loial earlier this season and his scenes in the arches: in both he displayed a large amount of big brother energy which feels true to the character. His other scenes just generally call for mute astonishment and bewilderment and he plays them as the hapless guy seeing something beyond his comprehension...which he is. (But even more than that, he's not just wide-eyed and confused, he also tries to understand what happened even if he's ignorant in the moment.)

That's as much as there is to say because the show hasn't given him a lot. I feel like Elyas, Hopper, and the wolves could have been on the level of Egwene and the pitcher but maybe there's another big moment they're building to, I don't know. His storyline doesn't have a lot of tension right now, so it doesn't feel as interesting as the others.

Edit: I wonder if he, Elyas, and Aviendha are filmed with the second unit?

And where's Thom?

NuclearEagleFox!!! fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 26, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

And where's Thom?

In season 1, Stepin the Sad Warder had statues of 8 Forsaken in his chambers. One of them is holding a guitar. We’ve seen one other character in season 1 prominently holding a guitar… :tinfoil:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Devorum posted:

Rural NW Georgia. My town actively redlined until like 1990 when it had to clean up a bit to attract families working in Atlanta to move in and get that sweet real estate money.

Their current rep is Marjorie Taylor Green.

Ouch

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Friend of mine, who moved to the West Coast as soon as she was legally able to, told me stories about going to big huge BBQs with hundreds of families and then when the sun started to set all the daddies would leave to do something special.

This was in the 80s in Georgia.

It wasn't until her 20s that she realized that those were klan meetings

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Every non-reader reaction person (besides this post) I follow is very much interested in both Ishy and Lanfear.

That is, of course, a limited sample size. But I haven't seen anything anywhere to suggest that people just aren't invested in them.

This matches my experience. I'm outside the US, all my friends here watch the show but only a couple have read it. My wife and pretty much all the non-reader are interested in both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I will defend Marcus Rutherford by pointing to his banter with Loial earlier this season and his scenes in the arches: in both he displayed a large amount of big brother energy which feels true to the character. His other scenes just generally call for mute astonishment and bewilderment and he plays them as the hapless guy seeing something beyond his comprehension...which he is. (But even more than that, he's not just wide-eyed and confused, he also tries to understand what happened even if he's ignorant in the moment.)

That's as much as there is to say because the show hasn't given him a lot. I feel like Elyas, Hopper, and the wolves could have been on the level of Egwene and the pitcher but maybe there's another big moment they're building to, I don't know. His storyline doesn't have a lot of tension right now, so it doesn't feel as interesting as the others.

Edit: I wonder if he, Elyas, and Aviendha are filmed with the second unit?

And where's Thom?

He's a little shaky when he has to do stuff like grief and anger but he's been killing it in all his other scenes so far. He really sells being the gentle giant who doesn't really want to hurt people, but it still put upon to crack some evil motherfuckers skulls because there's no other option.