Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The screen does zoom out for those world boss fights so it's entirely a specifically made choice to keep it as tight as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Kaysette posted:

i'm old school and play games myself instead of watching other ppl play them

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

exquisite tea posted:

Even if you like D4 there's nothing really "watchable" about it. In D2 the runs are like 90 seconds tops with the ever so slight chance of epic drops and in D3 things explode at a phenomenal rate at speeds of 3,000 m/h. What's there to do in D4, watch some guy slowly walk from vendor to vendor evaluating if 1.6% increase in vulnerable damage is worth it.

Just petting the dog over and over again

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

D4 will have more viewers when ladder races are a thing in season 3

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
I downloaded Last Epoch last night. It’s pretty good for early access.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

The screen does zoom out for those world boss fights so it's entirely a specifically made choice to keep it as tight as it is.

Yeah, the choice they made was to release it on PS4 and stuff like this probably resulted from that.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

External Organs posted:

New D3 season, old D4 season...?

I mean, even if this is 100% it, I still find it odd that a game that's as old as D3 does the numbers it still does on Twitch, vs D4.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bisse posted:

Do people basically just want Cookie Clicker?

Such... refined tastes... demand it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I liked what I played of Diablo 4 and I watch a lot of twitch and I’d never watch a Diablo 4 stream because it’s not a fun game to watch being streamed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ehud posted:

D4 will have more viewers when ladder races are a thing in season 3

it'll get a big wave of interest for the new season for sure but I don't think it's coming anywhere even close to launch/season 1 interest. I'm curious how ladder races would do as an incentive to get people back and/or watching, my sense is that that doesn't really address the actual issues, but if they get two actually solid patches in by then then maybe

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 26, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How long after release does a game typically hit peak Twitch viewer count?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it'll get a big wave of interest for the new season for sure but I don't think it's coming anywhere even close to launch/season 1 interest. I'm curious how ladder races would do as an incentive to get people back and/or watching, my sense is that that doesn't really address the actual issues, but if they get two actually solid patches in by then then maybe

yeah it probably won't be close to launch ever again, but I think it'll provide a bump just because people like watching competition. Season 3 is also when we're supposed to get the ~true endgame~ that supports a ladder system, so there will be excitement about that too.

for the long term health of the game, they need to rework loot. it's just not exciting or fun right now. being able to target farm in season 2 is a step in the right direction (assuming there are things worth farming for), but I think we're looking at a revamped "loot 2.0" to fix the fundamental problems with the game, which is that it's just not rewarding to pick items up and that's weird because it's an ARPG.

like right now it feels like a chore picking up all this poo poo and sorting through it.

if they don't do a full revamp of loot, then at least cut down on the amount of affixes and give me configurable loot filters. let me set it up a loot filter with the criteria I'm looking for, then highlight it on the ground when that criteria is met.

or give me a pet that vacuums up loot based on the loot filters.

I dunno, I'm just sick of picking up and looking at so many yellows

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The company that basically invented the ARPG genre failing to implement basic ARPG 101 in what makes them fun to play

They made sure to be on top of the cosmetics and battle passes though. Super important

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What are you talking about, their cosmetics and battlepass game is worse than their game game

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 26, 2023

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
On top of, as in made prominent. Not, best in class.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The season pass is free and the Cosmetics are terrible

In no way is it prominent either

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ok, I'm going to be the idiot and pretend you're arguing in good faith instead of some gimmick troll account.

In my personal opinion, I consider this prominent. And then if you scroll through the 5 items they have on their huge banner, 4 of them are for cosmetics.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bamhand posted:

Ok, I'm going to be the idiot and pretend you're arguing in good faith instead of some gimmick troll account.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
They are plastered everywhere but are dogshit, agreed.

I'm not a big sucker for microtransactions but I never even thought about reaching for my wallet with these ones. I wouldn't even pay in-game money for some of those.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bamhand posted:

In my personal opinion, I consider this prominent. And then if you scroll through the 5 items they have on their huge banner, 4 of them are for cosmetics.

What is this image? Where do you go and what do you have to do to see this image? I play on console and I have never seen this

I'm not trying to rile you up, I just think there are so many valid problems with the game that it's silly to Tilt at windmills

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's the mandatory launcher you have to use to play on PC. Will gladly admit I had not considered the console experience is different.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bamhand posted:

It's the mandatory launcher you have to use to play on PC. Will gladly admit I had not considered the console experience is different.

Well, not too different! When I turn on my Xbox the dashboard is a series of ads and a tiny icon for the most recent game I've played

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
this might be me being overly optimistic, but imo getting a better item system is one of the big things that genuinely takes a while and can't be rushed because it's so loving hard to come up with good item affixes that are both meaningful and also don't just break the game wide open (coming up with good legendaries and uniques has the same problem). that's probably the biggest thing that all the other games in the genre with generally well-regarded item systems have going for them: they've all been iterating on their itemization for years. hell even the ultra small team indie arpgs like chronicon or slormancer are years deep into iterating on items and it shows. like looking through D4s affixes it just screamed to me that they were rushing to fill out x number of affixes by the deadline.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have absolutely no idea what battlepass stuff even is. If it's anything to do with microtransactions I have completely ignored all of that poo poo and never even read a word of it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
You may take my amazing affixes like "skeletal mages get 2.4% of your thorns" from my cold dead hands.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

you take 3.6% less ranged damage on tuesdays from all enemies named stephen

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
13% increased damage over time against drowsy enemies in the afternoon

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

6.9% fire damage for 5 seconds after winning a game of hop scotch

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ehud posted:

you take 3.6% less ranged damage on tuesdays from all enemies named stephen

All these conditionals might be fine if they actually gave you interesting ways to combine them or influence the conditions of yourself/enemies

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

you deal 0.7% - 4.1% increased shadow damage for each vulnerable enemy within 7 yards whose total HP is a prime number

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You take 1.2% less damage for 1.1 seconds every 25th hit from blunt damage. Cannot happen more than once every two hours.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
every 6 seconds you gain a buff for 1.5 seconds

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh God that made me think of Convention of elements and it made me throw up barf inside of my mouth

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Convention of Elements is good to anybody who understands basic math and the rule of large numbers.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My issue with it was I found it annoying to time my damage spikes around the brief Elemental window

Obviously at lower grift levels you could just Bank on it being a minor boost over time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unless you're on the cusp trying to solo push GR140+... CoE timing literally does not matter. It's 50% more damage no matter what and maybe a little more if you're pretty good at Diablo 3. There are so many more important ways to optimize your character before CoE cycles even come into play.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My issue with it was I found it annoying to time my damage spikes around the brief Elemental window

Obviously at lower grift levels you could just Bank on it being a minor boost over time

Trying to think about it is a mistake. I designed my D3 wizard to hold down m1 only.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bleeding edge high level Rifts are indeed what I'm talking about. I never liked Convention of elements for low level content because it always seemed like there were more powerful jewelry options compared to the passive convention boost

J
Jun 10, 2001

Convention of elements is the worst item ever put into an arpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I hate it when people call d4 early access because you are giving the devs too much slack. You are implying they rushed it out the door when some of the things that suck rear end in this game were intentional design decisions brought on by D2 grognards. Loot sucking and experience taking forever are both intentional callbacks.