Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How come I've seen videos with life bars that are 950/1000/1100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

codo27 posted:

How come I've seen videos with life bars that are 950/1000/1100?

Some characters have lower or higher health than others, and kameos can also give a health buff or debuff.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
You can't sell relics? that is bullshit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

Some characters have lower or higher health than others, and kameos can also give a health buff or debuff.

Wow, thats complete horse poo poo. Thats one thing you just cannot gently caress with, everyone starts with the same life bar.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

codo27 posted:

Wow, thats complete horse poo poo. Thats one thing you just cannot gently caress with, everyone starts with the same life bar.

Some characters are balanced for higher or lower health. Most fighting games have this.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Trying to run through all the endings, which is taking much longer than it should due to the fact that you cant adjust the number of rounds, cant skip the next opponent tower screen, and cant skip the last boss death cutscene.

Also very disappointed in how cheap and generic the victory poses look after the awesome cinematic ones from 11

Really annoying that you have to sit through two x-rays now, make it a super meter burn for the extrra guy ir make them go faster, seriously

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game so far is the peakest gameplay in the series since 9 and yet it comes at the cost of literally everything else, it's the evil mirror version of MK11

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
MKX is still my favourite but by this point it might be nostalgia.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The more I play Ashrah the more I think she's Top 5. Easy low and overhead hit confirms, incredible neutral poke game, autoshimmying 21 with insane range that leads to a full krumple kombo, 12f advancing mid into an overhead, maybe the single best armored wakeup in MK1, almost everything is safe, even her unsafe launcher can be made plus with the right kameos, no real problematic gaps. The only thing she lacks is a lot of plus on block options but even that can be overcome with a kameo like Sonya, who ends up being one of her best synergies. This is one Kriss you cannot Diss!

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Okay, when I said NRS had a clear vision of bringing the gameplay back to MK9 I didn't think they would also bring back P1 advantage.

https://youtu.be/rplfGWn7w0I?si=YnpNqM9jNldoyxuw

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I played vs Ashrah when my buddy was over doing some sparring and after a few matches we had to ban Ashrah lol. It feels like playing against a MVC3 character, she is insane right now.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
UMK3 had some weird P1/P2-specific stuff, glad to see they are cribbing awful glitches from my all-time fave in the series!

a while back someone was asking about button layouts, particulary the placement of Block on an arcade stick, and it's wild to think that far more people have been introduced to MK on consoles/console sticks than arcade at this point. My reflex response was to think "how can you play stick without block in the middle :psyduck:" but like it's entirely possible I'd rethink that layout if I approached it totally fresh, with no habits or muscle memory to unlearn.

Using this game's default layout for a stick feels like madness to me though, I have to assume people aren't actually intended to play that way and the lack of an arcade (or any!) control presets was just another casualty of the rushed release. For people brand new to MK controls, I could see a Virtua Fighter-style layout working, where block is on the bottom-left so the thumb naturally rests on it (basically how the Run button was positioned in MK3). And then the attacks are basically laid out like Tekken, except shifted over one column. Kameo above Block maybe, or a pinky press all the way to the right like it's an MvC2 assist? And just stick Stance Flip anywhere since it isn't a real button (shortcut for pressing both kicks together)

but my takeaway after some messing around is that I actually prefer the regular controller (Xbox Series X in my case) for this game overall. Clicky d-pad feels good for specials when the game doesn't use true diagonals IMO. I thought I'd prefer the stick for the d,u inputs (I liked flicking it down for teleports in the old games, where the slight recoil on a US stick would result in an up input) but even those felt better to me on pad. And I have an easier time enhancing moves when I'm able to rest a finger on the Right Trigger at all times.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

You're not alone in feeling that way. I know a bunch of people who usually play on stick that prefer pad for NRS games.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Re: combo stuff,

Something it different as P1 vs P2 (or as 'host' vs 'guest'). I have a script that produces different results depending on whether I'm the host or guest. I'm working on getting a video and an overlay and all that demoing this. This was done in an Online Private lobby, but I want to get info on Kombat League here yet if I can. If this is indeed the case, then this is kind of a major fuckup here NetherRealm.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

UMK3 had some weird P1/P2-specific stuff, glad to see they are cribbing awful glitches from my all-time fave in the series!

a while back someone was asking about button layouts, particulary the placement of Block on an arcade stick, and it's wild to think that far more people have been introduced to MK on consoles/console sticks than arcade at this point. My reflex response was to think "how can you play stick without block in the middle :psyduck:" but like it's entirely possible I'd rethink that layout if I approached it totally fresh, with no habits or muscle memory to unlearn.

Using this game's default layout for a stick feels like madness to me though, I have to assume people aren't actually intended to play that way and the lack of an arcade (or any!) control presets was just another casualty of the rushed release. For people brand new to MK controls, I could see a Virtua Fighter-style layout working, where block is on the bottom-left so the thumb naturally rests on it (basically how the Run button was positioned in MK3). And then the attacks are basically laid out like Tekken, except shifted over one column. Kameo above Block maybe, or a pinky press all the way to the right like it's an MvC2 assist? And just stick Stance Flip anywhere since it isn't a real button (shortcut for pressing both kicks together)

but my takeaway after some messing around is that I actually prefer the regular controller (Xbox Series X in my case) for this game overall. Clicky d-pad feels good for specials when the game doesn't use true diagonals IMO. I thought I'd prefer the stick for the d,u inputs (I liked flicking it down for teleports in the old games, where the slight recoil on a US stick would result in an up input) but even those felt better to me on pad. And I have an easier time enhancing moves when I'm able to rest a finger on the Right Trigger at all times.

i commented a while back on this but i have block assigned to 3p, assist on 4p. i have great muscle memory using my ring finger and pinky so i guess if someone is used to that it wouldn't be an issue.

also i'm having a ton of fun learning leverless with the single player content.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Some characters are balanced for higher or lower health. Most fighting games have this.

Yeah, Street Fighter does this too. Akuma is usually super low health because he has so much utility.

e:This is my favorite game since 9 so far. Might end up beating it if they can fix some of these bugs.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 26, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

NRS has been doing variable health for a while, it was that way in the Injustice games too which led to the counterintuitive condition of Superman having less-than-average health because he's so damned versatile.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Its backwards to me that Motaro cost 50HP when he was a sub-boss. But also that teleport is really fun.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Unbound posted:

Its backwards to me that Motaro cost 50HP when he was a sub-boss. But also that teleport is really fun.

I do wonder how much Shujinko costs, since he just straight jacks moves and does em slightly differently (if not better).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shujinko is insanely interesting and high-effort but I don't think anybody has explored the game thoroughly enough to really make use of him yet. Seems like a natural counterpick choice for a lot of matchups like Kenshi or Geras.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Steam pushed out a patch. The notes are ingame.

I'm guessing this does nothing for the P1/P2 bug.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Donnerberg posted:

Steam pushed out a patch. The notes are ingame.

I'm guessing this does nothing for the P1/P2 bug.

As long as Reptile's Mouth continues to bug out. Never fix that NRS.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
have they fixed the store rotation bug yet

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

have they fixed the store rotation bug yet

just checked. Nope. Still the same 3 things.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Quests are definitely fixed but I am still unable to purchase the Flame Up skin.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

As long as Reptile's Mouth continues to bug out. Never fix that NRS.

He’s just constantly fighting in a wind tunnel

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Can't find a complete list but Sonya and Kano have MK3 skins available from the Shrine

I hate the Shrine, if only because of how god damned slow and unskippable the cutscene for it is
But I want more cool skins, and I need to know what's out there

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Where do I spend the seasonal invasion tokens, or is that only unlocked when I clear the mode?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

Can't find a complete list but Sonya and Kano have MK3 skins available from the Shrine

I hate the Shrine, if only because of how god damned slow and unskippable the cutscene for it is
But I want more cool skins, and I need to know what's out there

Yeah, I have green, blue, and red Sonya MK3 skins. The blue is my favorite.

Tortolia posted:

Where do I spend the seasonal invasion tokens, or is that only unlocked when I clear the mode?

Press start at the main menu.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Only have a couple of invasion fights left to go before wrapping up the season. It's been fun on the whole, but I feel like the maps are too big for the variety of match conditions the game can offer which I think is the root problem - I wanted to get fights over quickly so I could get to bosses faster but then there's conditions like the smoke or electricity or even homing projectiles that break up your kombo which suck. I'd be more lenient if there was more variety so they came up less.

Also the mode is in dire need of a map so I can tell where I've been since I apparently missed half a floor of Shang Tsung's lab, not counting the area you can visit after clearing the final seasonal boss. Either something I can buy from the Kollector or something I fill in as I go around the board.

Oh and at a base level talismans need to activate faster. I know you can get upgrades for them to do that but there's no point if the activation is too slow after a knockdown.

I had fun overall though and I'm looking forward to the next season so long as there are new zones to go to. Never get tired of finding a quadruple uppercut damage consumable and then one-shotting a fight straight into the klassic brutality. Simpler times indeed, Baraka. :hellyeah:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

Only have a couple of invasion fights left to go before wrapping up the season. It's been fun on the whole, but I feel like the maps are too big for the variety of match conditions the game can offer which I think is the root problem - I wanted to get fights over quickly so I could get to bosses faster but then there's conditions like the smoke or electricity or even homing projectiles that break up your kombo which suck. I'd be more lenient if there was more variety so they came up less.

Also the mode is in dire need of a map so I can tell where I've been since I apparently missed half a floor of Shang Tsung's lab, not counting the area you can visit after clearing the final seasonal boss. Either something I can buy from the Kollector or something I fill in as I go around the board.

Oh and at a base level talismans need to activate faster. I know you can get upgrades for them to do that but there's no point if the activation is too slow after a knockdown.

I had fun overall though and I'm looking forward to the next season so long as there are new zones to go to. Never get tired of finding a quadruple uppercut damage consumable and then one-shotting a fight straight into the klassic brutality. Simpler times indeed, Baraka. :hellyeah:

The lines on the ground will tell you where you have and haven't been. If it's green it will lead you somewhere you haven't beaten and if it's blue you've already been there.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Yeah I know and I did end up following them I just like having a map I can look at of an area without having to bring out the ol' pen and paper to make it myself. I think I'll do that next time - it's like the Lost Woods in OoT all over again! :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Towers seem a lot better now that they actually rotate hourly and have some variety. It's weird that you have to log into the Invasions board game to play them though, why can't they just be selectable from the towers menu.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Do the regular invasion battles every get more difficult?

It's wild to go from spending a full hour trying to take down boss sub-zero into the Tarkat map and be able to just chain force balls until the enemy is dead
And also boring as gently caress

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Sockser posted:

Do the regular invasion battles every get more difficult?

It's wild to go from spending a full hour trying to take down boss sub-zero into the Tarkat map and be able to just chain force balls until the enemy is dead
And also boring as gently caress

Nope, just more hp.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Unbound posted:

Nope, just more hp.

Aw man
Invasion Mode kind sucks and is boring and I wish they hadn't started with a themed season in the shop for launch

Maybe I'll come back to it in a month and change

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I don't mind invasions in principle since the single-round setup makes it a decent way to just knock out a few matches at a time when you're just loving around, but drat it feels way too big for what it is. Like at this point I very much got the impression that I've seen all there is to see in the current season and I've done like two mesas out of... what is it, seven?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Someone should take a poll of Invasion vs Krypt, I would be real interested to see the ratios. I wager 5 InternetBux that Krypt wins out 2:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Invasion could have really used some instadeath trap tiles to spice up the gameplay.