Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Steven Universe is wholesome as gently caress, but some of the fans are just rabid.

I remember that poor girl who drew fan art of one character, but didn't draw her as chubby as the original and was relentlessly bullied into self harm.

Fandom spaces in general are like the no man's land of sanity. And to give Lily some background for her abrasiveness I know she's endured a lot of trauma but her coping mechanisms are truly for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flopsy posted:

Fandom spaces in general are like the no man's land of sanity. And to give Lily some background for her abrasiveness I know she's endured a lot of trauma but her coping mechanisms are truly for poo poo.

It's more the kind of behaviour you see from people who never realised the world doesn't work the same as high school.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yep, basically a lot of people seem to have never watched a show for grown-ups before and have no idea how to handle it. Like some flipside of boomer brained who see animation and assume =for kids.

Yeah, again there is nothing wrong with loving a kids show/s just realize that it’s usually not reflective if other mediums even the darker ones.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more the kind of behaviour you see from people who never realised the world doesn't work the same as high school.
Not even that to me, it’s this weird thing where people don’t understand just because something can have darker tones doesn’t mean it IS dark on all levels or can do fast tone flips. Like kids shows arnt made by James Gunn where you it can flip from loving comedy to genuinely sad tragedy on a dime and work. Like this conversation always reminds me of this video of this brony from years ago who is genuinely mad that some episode about bullying or whatever didn’t have the protagonists brutally killing the bully or some other poo poo, and his reasoning is “well rats of Nim had violence” now the caveat of this is that the guy from the video is very very clearly profoundly neurodivergent and I am not gonna link the cringe video of the poor fucker though it’s very easy to find if curious. My point was I always get that vibe from folks like lily where they only have kids medium as a canvas but they sorta know darker poo poo then it exists and have a very weird black and white view of it. I mean i have seen people make mature content based on kids poo poo that works and is either funny or clever but like the lily types just come off as sad.

Flopsy posted:

Yeah, I can understand that. I definitely have a bunch of that kinda stuff and fandoms only help in my opinion if you find the right groups and also don’t treat it like partisan politics.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think alot of issues lily has is because she only consumes kids media and theirfore has the black and white morality of kids media(not all but yall know what i mean) its fine to watch kids/family stuff, alot of its very good, but its also very good to vary up your taste. i think their is also a subgroup of critics and media types who have the same issue.

There's another side to the "age-appropriate" coin in that if you're an adult you've gotta watch stuff made for adults sometimes. Yeah, it's fine if you like reading YA but please, for the love of God, read a novel written for adults sometimes, otherwise you get those weirdos complaining that such-and-such YA romance wasn't "spicy" enough and I just :dafuq:

Same with TV shows. The 2010's put out some pretty amazing cartoons, so I can understand having a lot of kids stuff that you turn to, but please cut that with stuff for actual adults sometimes, even if it's just more Office re-runs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

There's another side to the "age-appropriate" coin in that if you're an adult you've gotta watch stuff made for adults sometimes. Yeah, it's fine if you like reading YA but please, for the love of God, read a novel written for adults sometimes, otherwise you get those weirdos complaining that such-and-such YA romance wasn't "spicy" enough and I just :dafuq:

Same with TV shows. The 2010's put out some pretty amazing cartoons, so I can understand having a lot of kids stuff that you turn to, but please cut that with stuff for actual adults sometimes, even if it's just more Office re-runs.

Yeah exactly. I recently finished the last unicorn because I kept hearing it’s amazing and it honestly. It’s melancholy as gently caress, but it’s so drat beautifully written. I also realized a lot of people like these folks will never read it because it doesn’t fit their weird views. The book doesn’t give a gently caress about world building or some great evil or weird problematic poo poo that they can beat their chests against. The books messages are all about rememberence and growth and exploring memento mori in weird different ways. The villians in the book are more weird toxic versions of wanting to be remembered and outlooks on life and how people can be trapped by expectations. It also doesn’t spoon feed you its meanings like alot of stuff. The movie does but that’s fine and expected. Idk why I posted this. Just read the drat book. If I were more talented, I’d probably make a book barn let’s read thread.

My point is a lot of these folks will sadly never discover it because IT’s outside their frame of reference and normally it would be for me too. I mostly read brand scifi, weird old classics and history/true crime. I only read about it because of artists friends who introduced to a lot of stuff I like outside my comfort zone. To bring it back to HB, it was the same with this show.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Until this month the only media I consumed was from iwillpress

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KORNOLOGY posted:

Until this month the only media I consumed was from iwillpress

Lol that’s a blast from the past, isn’t he a chud now?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol that’s a blast from the past, isn’t he a chud now?
He's a goth hottie, dark gothboobs

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

KORNOLOGY posted:

He's a goth hottie, dark gothboobs

All I remember from him was the goth chick's chest getting bigger and bigger every episode.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The goth boobs owns in the post-newgrounds world. Goth women who hates me.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Flopsy posted:

All I remember from him was the goth chick's chest getting bigger and bigger every episode.

Also she's purple or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

YA stuff is apparently a tire fire from every angle these days, it's all the worst fans in the world becoming the worst creators in the world and all the promoters are trying to knife their competition through concern trolling. Figures what happens when the people most invested in it are if anything the most obsessed with looking 'grown-up', but still think actual 'grown-up' literature is dry and boring while everything else is embarrassingly juvenile.

I suppose it gets tricky because the actual problem is a lot of adult media feels alien and hard to relate to when it shows a world where everyone owns houses and lives on their own and their biggest problems are being bored at their office jobs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

YA stuff is apparently a tire fire from every angle these days, it's all the worst fans in the world becoming the worst creators in the world and all the promoters are trying to knife their competition through concern trolling. Figures what happens when the people most invested in it are if anything the most obsessed with looking 'grown-up', but still think actual 'grown-up' literature is dry and boring while everything else is embarrassingly juvenile.

I suppose it gets tricky because the actual problem is a lot of adult media feels alien and hard to relate to when it shows a world where everyone owns houses and lives on their own and their biggest problems are being bored at their office jobs.

I mean I sorta have the opinion that schools in general do a poo poo job at teaching literature and honestly media in general. I’ll sound like a chud but instead of reading the book or watching the media and then teaching you HOW to talk about what you think about it and the language to explain your opinions coherently, instead you just hunt and peck for symbols and themes and etc or dissect the problematic content of the piece to death. Obviously none of this is bad on its own but i think alot of people never really learn how to come up with ideas or analogies or critiques themeselzes. They just fill just circle on the test. I hated lit courses in college because they were always like that. I can see why folks just stick to YA bullshit because the shits all laid out for them.

It also doesn’t help that a lot of YA fandoms are just loving hell mouths full of weird purity struggle session poo poo that’s not even over politics. It’s weird. What’s funny is the loving bronies of all people are probably the chillest of them and I honestly take back alot of mean poo poo i have said about them over the years. Like yeah there is some hosed up gross poo poo, but they arnt telling some artist to kill herself over skin tone shading in fan art or having weird public hell fights about shipping.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maybe there's something to how the attitude with Harry Potter being 'Well at least the kids are reading books!' wasn't the healthiest response after all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe there's something to how the attitude with Harry Potter being 'Well at least the kids are reading books!' wasn't the healthiest response after all.

It’s less potter and more all YA are chasing potter or trying to be the next potter or the next big franchise. Again one of my favorite fantasy books is just a one off with a coda that got written 40 years later, which the original didn’t need but it just wrapped up a little plot beat. Everyone wants to be a franchise with a billion possible spinoffs points and that will let parasites like Matt pat suck it dry. People are afraid to let something have an ending.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Another little thing about the circus fire I just got from a random youtube short. We know now that white patches on imps are scars, given that's where Blitz got burned and now has a white spot.

This is young Fizzarolli at his birthday party:

This is him now:

All white face, meaning his entire face is scar tissue. Except for a tiny red spot on his nose.

That's because he was wearing a fake clown nose when he was burned, so it was protected.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 25, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It also doesn’t help that a lot of YA fandoms are just loving hell mouths full of weird purity struggle session poo poo that’s not even over politics.

Righteousness is a hell of a drug.

Pratchett had a quote something along the lines of "No greater evil than righteousness" and it didn't really click with me when I first read it. But, boy howdy, do I understand it now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it started off with "liberal unaware of her own biases" putting questionable content in otherwise engaging childrens' books. Sure, it ended up with a mask-off TERF eating newborn babies, but for a little while there the series wasn't something you needed to be absolutely ashamed of reading.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Righteousness is a hell of a drug.

Pratchett had a quote something along the lines of "No greater evil than righteousness" and it didn't really click with me when I first read it. But, boy howdy, do I understand it now.

I mean it started off with "liberal unaware of her own biases" putting questionable content in otherwise engaging childrens' books. Sure, it ended up with a mask-off TERF eating newborn babies, but for a little while there the series wasn't something you needed to be absolutely ashamed of reading.

I think alot of potters issues are more then just the political/progressive issues and more that the world rowling built couldnt support the change of writing style so the world building starts to either look way way more hosed up or it just breaks.

the books start out as a very whimsical roald dahl type story but with more world building. then they switch to grimer YA darker fantasy and the dahl type world building doesnt survive the transition well. it didnt help that rowling tried to twitter explain poo poo post books and retcon poo poo in the dumbest ways possible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh totes. The more she wrote about her world, the less sense it made and the worse it looked.

From what I heard about one of the prequel movies, the big bad evil wizard just wanted to stop the holocaust or some poo poo but had to be stopped because the wizards didn't want the untermensch to know they existed.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh totes. The more she wrote about her world, the less sense it made and the worse it looked.

From what I heard about one of the prequel movies, the big bad evil wizard just wanted to stop the holocaust or some poo poo but had to be stopped because the wizards didn't want the untermensch to know they existed.

Not even touching the fact she tried to make Dobby look like a weirdo for not wanting to be enslaved and that the real lesson was to treat your slaves WELL. It was Hagrid impressing this on Hermione btw.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Another little thing about the circus fire I just got from a random youtube short. We know now that white patches on imps are scars, given that's where Blitz got burned and now has a white spot.

This is young Fizzarolli at his birthday party:

This is him now:

All white face, meaning his entire face is scar tissue. Except for a tiny red spot on his nose.

That's because he was wearing a fake clown nose when he was burned, so it was protected.

Not to mention in a hosed up way he's been permanently trapped in the role of a clown for the rest of his life because now his face always resembles one. I know being a clown is what he's always known and is very good at it. But I wonder if he resents never having the option to be anything otherwise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

no its dumber then that. the idea is that evil wizard tokes up and uses a magic skull bong to show that normies are gonna burn the world and wizards are still recovering from ww1. i acually liked the first magical creatures movie alot. but then 2 just poo poo on everything the same way the later books did. its a good microcosim of stuff that went wrong. its hard as gently caress to do tonal shifts and she is not good at them

Flopsy posted:

Not even touching the fact she tried to make Dobby look like a weirdo for not wanting to be enslaved and that the real lesson was to treat your slaves WELL. It was Hagrid impressing this on Hermione btw.

Not to mention in a hosed up way he's been permanently trapped in the role of a clown for the rest of his life because now his face always resembles one. I know being a clown is what he's always known and is very good at it. But I wonder if he resents never having the option to be anything otherwise.

darth vader but a clown and a happy relationship.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 25, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The original trilogy would have been a lot better if Vader was getting his rear end clapped by the emperor.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The original trilogy would have been a lot better if Vader was getting his rear end clapped by the emperor.

Don't unleash this demon I beg you. The thought of Palpatine barking out UNLIMITED POWER mid coitus has me dying over here.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Don't unleash this demon I beg you. The thought of Palpatine barking out UNLIMITED POWER mid coitus has me dying over here.

"Unleash?" Are you not familiar with the internet?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

"Unleash?" Are you not familiar with the internet?

I wish I wasn't. :smith:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I like idea that Sheev is like genuinly chill and good with lovers and such. but everytime he fucks he uh "shoots" its um, electrifying. so every date is one night thing and the royal guards have to clean up the mess.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1706488949450096871?s=20

:neckbeard: :neckbeard:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

GODAMMIT YA BEAT ME TO IT! But yeah Mammon is an evil christmas tree with an Australian accent. That tracks. Genuinely wondering what kind music style he performs because initially I was leaning towards something like Heavy metal or Classic rock, but his appearance makes me question that.

edit: Went to look for fanart on Tumblr and there's already rage posting about this. Viziepop's hatedom never fails to baffle me.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 26, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Poeple keep saying he has an Australian accent. Where is that info from?

I hope it's literally just Michael Cusack

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

His silhouette was teased last year with the caption "Decorate me ya 'bloody cunts!"

So many have assumed he has an Aussie accent or possibly something from the United Kingdom.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

god id love if it was zach instead just doing really awful british accent/annoying noises.

Flopsy posted:

GODAMMIT YA BEAT ME TO IT! But yeah Mammon is an evil christmas tree with an Australian accent. That tracks. Genuinely wondering what kind music style he performs because initially I was leaning towards something like Heavy metal or Classic rock, but his appearance makes me question that.

edit: Went to look for fanart on Tumblr and there's already rage posting about this. Viziepop's hatedom never fails to baffle me.

what do they hate about it? i think the design is alright. weirdly enough the only design i dont care for is ozzies because i don't like the head design, i feel like it should be more birdie or something but like thats just me.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god id love if it was zach instead just doing really awful british accent/annoying noises.

what do they hate about it? i think the design is alright. weirdly enough the only design i dont care for is ozzies because i don't like the head design, i feel like it should be more birdie or something but like thats just me.

Oh just the usual loving everything: it's problematic that he's fat because he's the sin of greed/ he's probably not fat he's just wearing a lot clothes and Viv hates fat people, he looks like Oogie Boogie what a total ripoff of character design, the animation is jank it's giving me a headache to look at it, the design is too busy everything Viv designs is sloppy to has too many details and on and on and loving on.

Understand these are people who want to be pissed off and will get pissed off about the stupidest poo poo imaginable. It's really weird too because there's literal normal stuff to complain about but they just never do. They always latch onto the strangest most pointless BS aspects of the show. I could easily talk about how the execution of the slowburn is leaning a little more towards frustrating than fulfilling and discuss my personal preferences toward how I'd usually go about it. Instead I get these paragraph long rants about characters being problematic by design alone and how Vivzie is literally Hitler/Margaret Thatcher and is poisoning the world or some poo poo. It's less real criticism and more just flat out obsessive and disturbed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems like maybe you should stop paying attention to them

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

seems like maybe you should stop paying attention to them

I've been blocking as they pop up. But sometimes you have to skim ahead in a post to check because they don't tag this poo poo. So you can just be scrolling doing your thing next thing you know you're hitting the speed bumps.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
phrasing it differently, I don’t think this thread should be fifty percent safaris on what psychotic tweens think about the raunchy devil cartoon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

phrasing it differently, I don’t think this thread should be fifty percent safaris on what psychotic tweens think about the raunchy devil cartoon

Ok fair enough, I'll try and drop it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

Seriously this. Stop doomscrolling brain damage teens.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://x.com/hazbinhotel/status/1707394905310388652?s=46 January 2024 Amazon prime. Season 2 soon after
Also Halloween merch still in.
https://sharkrobot.com/collections/vivziepop

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 28, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a shot in there of Husker dancing and singing with Angel Dust that is going to drive art twitter into a frenzy :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
To binge or not to binge